Search Unity

Monodevelop not opening.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MTracerStudios, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MTracerStudios

MTracerStudios

So, I click on a script in my project view, and nothing happens. Then I open windows task manager, and find that for every time I've clicked on the script, I have one monodevelop instance open. But there are none on the task bar, and certainly none open. What is going on, and how do I fix it?

2. Sir-Keyzinburga

Sir-Keyzinburga

It is probably some installation malfunction. Try re-installing mono-develop, or if you done so already, put down a list with things you tried already.

3. MTracerStudios

MTracerStudios

I re-installed unity, but that didn't reinstall monodevelop. How do I reinstall mono-develop?

4. Sir-Keyzinburga

Sir-Keyzinburga

5. zine92

zine92

The version that is shipped with Unity is different from the links you provided btw. I think your problem is a monodevelop already open but it is minimized and thats why you can't see it. This is a bug in monodevelop. I read somewhere you can maximize it again somehow or have to reset something. So installing the offical monodevelop won't really help.

6. MTracerStudios

MTracerStudios

Ok, so I've been using Uniscite for a while now because I couldn't get monodevelop working, now I can't even get uniscite to open. Please help, I literally can't program anything.

7. rockysam888

rockysam888

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. xBlitz

xBlitz

I had this issue though mine did actually have an icon on the task bar but when I clicked to maximize the window nothing happened. I fixed by hovering (I have Windows 7) over the icon until the preview window popped up, then I right clicked on the preview and went to maximize and voila I'm back up and running to finish my game!

9. loki72

loki72

gah!.. just happened to me.. all was well.. then poof.. mono is stuck minimized in the taskbar.. im running win7 x64.

did a re-install.. same deal.... not sure why it 'all of a sudden' did it in the middle of working...

EDIT: seems because i am running 2 screens.. i must have bumped the top border and quasi-maximized mono.. which in turn caused it to get stuck.. i just grabbed the mono's header when maximized (shift +rt mouse click on taskbar icon) and dragged it onto the 2nd monitor window.. it reset the non-maximized view i was in prior to glitch.. and all is back to normal...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. metaphysico

metaphysico

Every once in a while I have the same problem, it shows an instance of mono running in task manager. I double click on a script or an error in unity and the Mono Develop splash screen shows for a second then goes away and Mono does not open. I do not have an icon in the task bar or anything, just a listing in task manager. I do end task and it closes the instance(s) and it works fine again. I have not figured out what causes the broken instance, but I am on windows 8 running .net 4.5, I use WPF so I need 4.5.

Hope this helps sorry I cannot say what causes the issue, but here are the detailed steps to close the instance.
    Right click on the task bar
    Click task manager
    Right click on each Mono instance and choose End Task.
    This works every time for me, although annoying it works.

11. lmbarns

lmbarns

Anyone figure this S*** out???? You shouldn't have to downgrade mono to use unity, that's ridiculous. It shows on the task bar, right clicking on the preview and selecting maximize doesn't work.

I changed the permissions on the folder monodevelop is in and still doesn't work. I tried running under compatability settings and doesn't work.

12. hariavm

hariavm

go to task manager and kill the mono Process! and then open again

fredsa and Raspberry_Cube like this.
  13. Scy

Scy

This worked! Thanks!

14. Ryox92

Ryox92

Omg thanks man same thing happened to me, I just moved one tab which was maximized and it was hiding all other scripts below it. I thought they were not opening but they were there the whole time.