Search Unity

Game Steps

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by DayyanSisson, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

I'm starting a new project with a two person team. We are aiming to create a 3D space sim. We're not sure about the process but would this be the right way of going about making a space sim.

1. Planning Layout
    2. Create Basic Player Ship Model
    3. Script Basic Player Model
    - Make it fly in a zero g environment
    4. Create necessary prefabs
    5. Create Basic Enemy Models
    6. Script Player Model
    - Make it shoot
    7. Add damage receivers
    8. Finalize models
    9. Create environment
    - Skyboxes
    - Asteroid Fields
    10. Create respawn points
    11. Add GUI and HUD
    - Health Bar
    - Boost Bar
    12. Script Enemy AI
    - Basic Movements
    - Make turrets shoot at player
    13. Tweak and finalize project
    14. Upgrade and update further

So that was my idea of the process. Currently, my team is testing out different ways to make the space shooter. If there are any ways to make the process better, or if the process if just flat out wrong, please let me know.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Sure there can be some adjustments, but that is really a matter of personal preference. It is just fine the way it is.

3. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

You seem to be making the assets at the start and not creating any gameplay logic until the last three steps. I would probably reverse your entire list and start at the end, with the final assets being done almost last. You should be able to make a prototype with just Unity primitives as placeholders, but that is just me.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

4. sawfish

sawfish

This. Don't worry about art and assets until you have the logic in place. You can use boxes for spaceships until everything is working. :)

5. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

That's funny because that's exactly what I was doing. Thanks for the advice.

6. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

Like Fallingbrickwork said, I also think creating gameplay is key. Just use some placeholders first.
    It also depends on how your roles are in the team. If you both do the same stuff then one list would be okay, but if you are really dividing the work then you could just as well have two lists.

I'm also sort of working in a two man team. I'm basically doing everything, except for the art. and this is how I'm working.
    (it's a small project)
    1. Brainstorming
    2. Decide the main idea
    3. Start coding the main gameplay elements(use placeholding prefabs)
    4. Start coding secudaire objects
    5. Create models/animations
    6. Send models to artist for texturing
    7. tweak gameplay and other stuff

and this is his list
    1. Texture models
    2. Create 2D art

Something like this. Of course you can divide stuff differently, but my artist is an outsource.

What you should do is get stuff right at the beginning.
    If your GameDesignDoc is correct as much as possible then you can easy work faster together.
    If you are a programmer and an artist, then it both can start simultaneously. Just before you really start, find out the properties for the models/textures/etc.
    Then the programmer can just create all the gameplay and uses boxes and other basic shapes first as placeholders, and when you get closer to finishing you can replace them by the models that are created by the artist.
    I for example use an aircraft made out of 3 cubes, the ground is a plane with some moved verts. and enemies are just squeezed spheres. Click to see

Good luck with your project, it's good that you try to figure stuff out before actually starting, planning is key!

7. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

Version 0.81 for Windows
    Version 0.81 for Mac

This is a game I did for class on the Revolutionary War. It's not close to being done, but tell me what you think so far.

Note:

Made in less than two weeks. Models from turbosquid.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  8. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

Here's V.09. I'll post final version for Mac too.

Attached Files:

9. Charles L

Charles L

hi,

I would add about game steps subjet,

to prepare the files for the project.
    Not to be mixed and waste space, I use the file as:

Docs First day
    Docs Day # 2
    Docs # 3 day

not to be encumbered
    This way things are separated by time, as it should be.
    And make backup by end of day.

it's the most important to all the work, the Backup!

think to well breathing, to have not problems about. it takes many concentration and can lost air.
    me, i have a probem with this.

but it's all what i can say about.

good day to you

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

Almost done, after 3 weeks of working on the project. This was small game for class, so not too impressive. Will release final version in the next few days. Will post Mac version then too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  11. Overwind

Overwind

Ok, I tried running it, it launched in a window that couldn't be resized and some of the instructions page text goes off the left of the window.
    I couldn't find a way of returning from the instructions to the main menu, or to return to the menu from the game, besides closing and restarting. In game, I moved towards the beach and some text said take out the 2 guys at the base of the hill. I'm not sure which guys it meant, I assumed all the red-shirts are with me? I couldn't seem to shoot them anyway!
    I carried on towards and up the hill, and part way up it sort of froze - I could look around but all the cannon balls were frozen in mid air - was I dead? Sorry, this probably isn't much help, I'm a bit confused! (I blame my beer) :)

12. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

I guess it's the screen resolution. When the game freezes, a little button at the edge says you died and to go back to the main menu. On my screen, the instructions are positioned perfectly, and the two guys at the base of the hill are wearing blue. Sorry, I should make that clear. It helped me, thanks.