Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme Footstep Effects

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by faust, Aug 2, 2011.

1. faust

faust

I've migrated another spell effect to Unity from my Torque-based add-on, Arcane-FX. This one is known as the Bron-Y-Orc Stomp and it's not so much a magic spell, as it is an example of extreme footstep effects. Here we have triggered effects responding to Animation Events in the run and walk cycles and a landing event generated by the custom avatar controller. The effects are fairly rich and layered, combining projector, particle system, audio, force, and camera shake effects.

To see a Unity Web Player demo of this spell, visit this post on my blog at effectronica.com:

[ Foot Stomping Spell Demo in Unity ]

If you would rather view a video, take a look at this one on Vimeo:

And here's another video showing the effect while walking rather than running:

2. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

if i was a warrior i would run away from you :p

3. Artimese

Artimese

Probably the best spell I've seen from a unity rpg game, amazing.

4. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome! O.O

5. HolBol

HolBol

I'd love to see how you did the decal system.

6. skylebones

skylebones

That's a really cool effect! Good work.

7. ggappleid

ggappleid

I cant play it on airkeyboard on Mac. Keyckodes on small keyboard differs from large. Also button Ctrl do not work, and mousewheel on Magic mouse probably too :)

8. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

How are you casting decals on the terrain! o.o

9. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Is it a projector?

10. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Ha, that made my evening.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. faust

faust

The decal effects are done using orthographic projectors with slightly customized shaders.

Each footstep multi-effect consists of 10 distinct base-effects:
    3 projector decals (cracks, glowing cracks, shock-wave)
    1 point light
    2 sounds (crunch, occasional grunt)
    1 camera shake
    2 particle systems (dust, flash)
    1 explosion force

Admittedly, the overall effect is a bit projector heavy. This hasn't been a big problem running on PCs and Macs but iOS and Android will probably choke on them.

12. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks pretty awesome. Love that effect!

13. Eric Molitor

Eric Molitor

No more sneaking for u.

14. EvilOtaku

EvilOtaku

How hard is it to port AFX into Unity? If I don't already have it, is worth picking up or would I just end up re-coding everything anyway?

15. Schnelle

Schnelle

I enjoyed sneaking up on the boulders and hitting the spell. They really launched across the map.

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

Would consider it impossible. Its deep rooted into the torque engine and requires access to stuff that unity does not even offer.

Also the effect framework faust is working on seems to be getting closer and closer to AFX with stuff like the stomp effect etc working :D

But its naturally not comparable without the ugly splattery effect of the body spawned catterpillar ;)

17. EvilOtaku

EvilOtaku

OK, I see. What's in the video is not AFX but a separate project for Unity. Looking forward to when that's completed

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

I think its what he originally called "AFX for Unity" or a brother in spirit to it at least although he is breaking it down differently than AFX according to what I got from the blog etc. as unity has own unique benefits and limitations (in torque you had to do most to all through the delcaration datablocks in script cause it was impossible to do anything reasonably in the editor at all prior T3D 1.1+ for example where as unity was strong on that end since Unity 2.5 at latest and alike)

but only faust knows where he will be heading toward in the end :)
    As licensee of AFX 1 and 2 for T3D I'm looking forward to see what he comes up with for Unity :)

19. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Ohhhhhh how on earth did I miss this :)

I am also a license holder of AFX 1 and 2 on Torque and helped test the original in Torque, and AFX was the only thing that almost took me back to Torque when I found Unity.

I am so happy to see Jeff here in the Unity forums and can't wait until theres a Unity product I can buy to add to my game.

<note> hereby putting all spell development on hold until this arrives as I know this will be THE solution for Unity <note>

Greetings Jeff.

Regards

Graham

20. Warp boy2

Warp boy2

i want download it, but not as a standalone.. i want download it as a project so i can open it in unity 3D and steal all the contents and scripting , put it on my game