Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

terrain mapper v1.0 - RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Slarti, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Slarti

Slarti

terrain mapper is an editor extension for Unity, that provides several new mechanics related to terrain editing:

- terrain mapping via slope, elevation or a combination of both
    - normal mapped terrain shaders
    - placement of trees details per map
    - terrain presets can be saved - including maps, trees details for easy re-useablity
    - override for terrain settings to enable farther visibility of maps, trees details
    - multi-threaded for performance
    - full source code access

With this package, there is no need to use 3rd party programs for terrain mapping! The sometimes cumbersome process of getting those into Unity can be circumvented. Together with the possibility to place trees and details, you can create whole ecosystems with a few clicks, and save your setup to a preset - so it can easily be spread over multiple terrains.

Unity texture, tree and detail painting functionality are still accessible, so you can fine tune your results if necessary.

if there are any questions, comments or complaints, you can contact me via PM, post in this thread or send me an email at slartibartfast1@gmx.de.

link to asset store

see it in action on youtube:

part 1

part 2

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. cupsster

cupsster

curious to see something.. like a picture for example :)

3. Slarti

Slarti

Hi

there are a few screenshots on the asset store entry, I'm atm trying to find out how to link to it. still setting up everything...

I also plan on doing a youtube video, showing it in action, should happen over this weekend!

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Multi-threaded in the editor or the player? How does this compare to Tom's Terrain Tools? A video of this in action would help us understand more about it.

5. Slarti

Slarti

multi-threaded in the editor only. basically, this tool lets you define materials per angle/height range like terragen or Vue. After setting up your terrain, you can actually delete the terrain mapper component again, and pack only the resulting terrain into a player. your setup can be saved to a preset for later use and refinement.

the exact functionality that uses all available cores on your machine:

- calculation of slope/height maps for the terrain
    - assigning maps depending on the set parameters
    - distribution of trees and details over the terrain
    - special operations on the generated splat maps to finetune the result (normalize, boost ...)

on my computer, with 12 threads, this has proven to be an impressive performance boost. Huge terrains, with large splat map resolutions, are mapped within 1-2 seconds (maps only). if you also let it place lots of details and trees (which also can be done seperately, at a later point) it will take longer of course.

in comparison to Tom's tool, terrain mapper lets you actually create the mapping of a terrain in unity and not import it from a 3rd party tool. you have full control over what gets mapped where. You can update your parameters any time and apply them in an instant.

I am working on an example video, showing how a terrain is mapped, and then populated with trees and details. I hope to have it on youtube by tomorrow evening!

6. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Great! just what I needed. Hopefully, will be able to buy it soon

7. angel_m

angel_m

Are the trees and details also distributed by slope and height on the terrain? It would be interesting...

8. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks interesting. Would love to see a youtube video demonstration.

9. Slarti

Slarti

@angel_m: trees and details are placed according to the mapping - so it is kind of per slope/height but not individually, always linked to a texture. there would be ways to decouple this - maybe in a future version

@I am da Bawss: the upload is currently running... had a hard time making the video and I'm not completely satisfied with it, but it should show what this plugin does ... anybody else hating to listen to his own voice? ;)

10. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Any update on videos?

Oops nm saw you updated main thread post. Looks great.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  11. Slarti

Slarti

I'm currently a bit busy, but stay tuned for the next update. It will add terrain creation functionality, as well as a few tweaks and extra functionality for presets.

pls report any bugs you experience, or features you would like to see, in this thread, or directly to me via email or pm. I'll try my best to adress all of them.

the next update is planned for beginning of september.

12. Demostenes

Demostenes

How does your normal map shaders work? I thought, there is technical limit and you cant have normal mapped textures on more than one terrain in one scene.
    Is there any limit on supported number of textures on one terrain?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  13. Slarti

Slarti

the shader does a tangent estimation in the vertex shader to make bumpmaps work.
    this is of course not 100 % accurate, but it is a close enough approximation to work for my needs.

In one of my projects, I use 4x4 terrains with the shader applied, and it works on all of them - I'm not aware of any technical limitation concerning the amount of terrains using normal mapped shaders.

the current limit is 16 textures. When using the bumpmapped shader, this means 8 diffuse and 8 normal maps. this is only a UI limitation though - I have never tested (and needed) more then 8 textures before (4 diffuse, 4 bump). it is as easy as increasing a number in the ui code to allow for more textures. I'm not gonna go into the effects this has on performance, as I've never measured it and it highly depends on your hardware.

to be sure on how to answer this request, I quickly tested with 12 maps and it worked fine. there is a bug in the interface code though, which makes the "add texture" button disappear after 10 textures are set. you can still add them via the unity terrain interface - this will be fixed in the next version. if you are impatient - PM me

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  14. Demostenes

Demostenes

Perfect, 8 is enough.

15. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Looks great - but will wait for price drop/sale.

16. Demostenes

Demostenes

Yes, price is quite high.

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is definitely awesome... but i already have Vue :)

18. mysth

mysth

Very interesting ... you made what i want to do :D It would be very nice if we can put Allegorithmic substances ...

19. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

That would be a good seller, I myself am dying to use substances on Unity Terrain.

20. mysth

mysth

By the way ... i'm trying to make a terrain in 3dsmax thanks to some plugins but I'm not a professional in that domain ^^ so I have some problems to paint the substances ... after I will export that terrain but it's better if it's integrated in Unity :p

21. houndie

houndie

I am with others, will wait for a drop in price, $150 is a tad high for this for me. But good work otherwise.

22. Demostenes

Demostenes

Problem is, that asset store is robbery. Cut 30 percent for Unity and 20 percent taxes. And you have cca 1/2. Direct sell makes far more sense, contact author and buy directly.....

23. houndie

houndie

very good point Demostenes, i shall do just that.

24. Slarti

Slarti

yes, definitely... I was talking to an Allegorithmic dev back when the deal was announced that Substances are coming to Unity. he assured me it would work on terrain, but then... well, maybe in an update. whenever it is possible I'll integrate it into my tool, for sure.

But next up are some UI improvements and procedural terrain creation.

I'm also thinking about selling the bumpmapped shaders seperately. as someone found out, my shaders are faster in 2 passes with normal maps than the originals, with one pass and no normal maps - would there be interest?

25. houndie

houndie

Yes there would, would be nice to get it at a deal price though for those that purchase your terrain mapper :) yes I am talking about me heheh

26. houndie

houndie

Nevermind apparently they are included in the terrain mapper package :)

27. ResidentPm

ResidentPm

Slarti

One can question?
    Your utility only supports 4 textures with bump MAP for terrain, or unlimited?

28. Slarti

Slarti

theoretically unlimited, but ofc each 4 textures (2 diffuse, 2 bump) a new pass is necessary. so I recommend only using 4 - 16 maps, though more would work.

29. chadchat

chadchat

The Terrain Toolkit has it's uses, it would be good if you could build on top of what that already offers.
    What would really be great is some kind of fluid erosion, and being able to capture that in the splatmap

30. ChadH

ChadH

I am very happy with this asset and the support I have received.
    Looking forward to any new revisions or updates :D

31. ChadH

ChadH

Any word on the update ... ?

32. sefou

sefou

Hi slarti,
    any news about that ?

Thanks

33. Slarti

Slarti

@Chad:
    I am working on terrain generation and erosion at the moment, and the next major version update should happen within a month. I will be posting some examples of generated terrains soon.

@sefou:
    did you try the substance terrain tool yet? it works together with terrain mapper nicely if you set terrain mapper to NOT use normal maps. the replacement shader from Allegorithmic will be used then, limiting the number of materials to 4.

34. Slarti

Slarti

Hi

Because of crunchtime phase in my dayjob, I had to halt all further development some while ago and will not be able to pick it up until November this year. I am available for bugfixes though.

35. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

Only recently I haven't been able to find this asset on the asset store. This was my favourite for mapping terrains. Anyone else have any luck finding Terrain Mapper? Can we get a refund from Unity? This is not the first time this has happened.