Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any RTS Tutorials?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Assassin2B, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Assassin2B

Assassin2B

I really want to start creating an RTS game, but I don't really know where to start from or how. I've searched on YouTube, and there isn't really that much. I know that theres the UnityPrefabs RTS Camera Kit, but besides that is there anything else?

Does anyone know where I can find an RTS tutorial? Whether it's on YouTube or not? :)

---

EDIT: I just realized that this might be in the wrong section. It should probably be in Unity Support.

2. Tiles

Tiles

That you cannot find a RTS tutorial has mainly to do with that you never develop a RTS, but a game with this and that features. And those features are many different ones. That`s why there is no all in one RTS tutorial. You will rarely find a tutorial for a complete game. Well, the Unity Lerpz tutorial aims that goal, but even this one has lots of gaps.

It`s a bad idea to start with one of the most advanced project like a RTS when you want to make games. When you don`t even know where to start means your current project is a bit too advanced for you at the moment.

The way to go is: You start at the smallest possible games. Like Pong or Asteroids. Then you do a bit more advanced games. Like a Bubble Bobble clone or a Pac Man. On it goes with a platformer or a little jump n run. And with every game you collect a bit more experience. Up to the point where you know enough that you know how to make a RTS game. It doesn`t really matter what projects you grab to start with. As long as you start with something very very small, and go on with something a bit more advanced that is nevertheless in reach. You will quickly find out that even a Pong or a Pac Man gives you more than enough headache ...

3. zine92

zine92

Agree with what Tiles said. Rome isn't built in a day. So you can't rush things. If you are new just go through the tutorials and make sure you are comfortable with using Unity and scripting. I know there's an old project somewhere here. You can take a look at it though. Next time try searching the forums. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/17...ty-Project-Generals?highlight=command+conquer

The project is a little bit old and currently no updated. You can take it and see and learn. And make your own. RTS is considered a hard genre to make. FPS would be easier to make than a RTS.