Search Unity

Any RTS Tutorials?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Assassin2B, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Assassin2B

Assassin2B

I really want to start creating an RTS game, but I don't really know where to start from or how. I've searched on YouTube, and there isn't really that much. I know that theres the UnityPrefabs RTS Camera Kit, but besides that is there anything else?

Does anyone know where I can find an RTS tutorial? Whether it's on YouTube or not? :)

---

EDIT: I just realized that this might be in the wrong section. It should probably be in Unity Support.

2. Tiles

Tiles

That you cannot find a RTS tutorial has mainly to do with that you never develop a RTS, but a game with this and that features. And those features are many different ones. That`s why there is no all in one RTS tutorial. You will rarely find a tutorial for a complete game. Well, the Unity Lerpz tutorial aims that goal, but even this one has lots of gaps.

It`s a bad idea to start with one of the most advanced project like a RTS when you want to make games. When you don`t even know where to start means your current project is a bit too advanced for you at the moment.

The way to go is: You start at the smallest possible games. Like Pong or Asteroids. Then you do a bit more advanced games. Like a Bubble Bobble clone or a Pac Man. On it goes with a platformer or a little jump n run. And with every game you collect a bit more experience. Up to the point where you know enough that you know how to make a RTS game. It doesn`t really matter what projects you grab to start with. As long as you start with something very very small, and go on with something a bit more advanced that is nevertheless in reach. You will quickly find out that even a Pong or a Pac Man gives you more than enough headache ...

3. zine92

zine92

Agree with what Tiles said. Rome isn't built in a day. So you can't rush things. If you are new just go through the tutorials and make sure you are comfortable with using Unity and scripting. I know there's an old project somewhere here. You can take a look at it though. Next time try searching the forums. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/17...ty-Project-Generals?highlight=command+conquer

The project is a little bit old and currently no updated. You can take it and see and learn. And make your own. RTS is considered a hard genre to make. FPS would be easier to make than a RTS.