Search Unity

HOw do i chnage the position of an object?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TRG96, Jul 23, 2011.

1. TRG96

TRG96

I have two empty game objects attached to my character, one on the hip and one on the hand and I have a gun which is attached to the empty game object on the leg and I want to change the position of the gun and set it to the empty game object which is attached to the hand so when I press the K key the guns appears in the hand. How can i do this?

I have tried this

Code (csharp):
    1. var gun : Transform;
    3. function update ()
    4. {
    5.             var gun = Instantiate (gun, transform.Find("SpawnPoint2").transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    6. }
    This script is just instantiating the gun at spawn point 2 and the gun just stays there, I want the 1 gun which is already in the scene to change its position and show up at spawn point 2 and attach it to the hand. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. pezz

pezz

Create another empty gameobject. put it in hand.
    When you press "k" set guns position and rotation to the empty gameobject in hand.

3. bigmisterb

bigmisterb

a little confused

First, you have a gun in the scene.... however you are instantiating one?

I assume that you want to do something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. gun.transform.position=gameObject.Find("SpawnPoint2").transform.position;
    3. gun.transform.rotation=gameObject.Find("SpawnPoint2").transform.rotation;
    4. gun.transform.parent=hand.transform;

4. TRG96

TRG96

Thanks for the reply and script, its working fine =)

However the second line of your script

Code (csharp):
    1. gun.transform.rotation=gameObject.Find("SpawnPoint2").transform.rotation;
    was giving me errors, saying something about Quaternion so I took that line out and it works fine.

Code (csharp):
    1. function gunsdrawn ()
    2. {
    3. if (GunsDrawn == GunsDrawn)
    4. gameObject.Find("gun1").transform.position = gameObject.Find("SpawnPoint2").transform.position;
    5. gameObject.Find("gun1").transform.parent = gameObject.Find("SpawnPoint2").transform;
    6. if (GunsDrawn == !GunsDrawn)
    7. gameObject.Find("gun1").transform.position = gameObject.Find("SpawnPoint").transform.position;
    8. gameObject.Find("gun1").transform.parent = gameObject.Find("SpawnPoint").transform;
    10. print (GunsDrawn);
    11. }

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. Pradeep-Patel

Pradeep-Patel

u can also use Vector3Lerp it will easy