Search Unity

Unity and Lion - They play nice, right?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mehware, Jul 20, 2011.

1. MrDude

MrDude

Has anyone found a place to invert the scrolling on Lion? I find it most annoying that my mouse wheel down now scrolls everything up and vice versa! I understand it is to make it more in line with the iPad where you drag UP to see what is further down the list but bloooooooody hell!

Whenever I try to read what's next in my function my code goes all haywire on me and then I realised "Oh, wait, I scrolled the wrong direction". Bloody annoying. changing scroll direction on me with no notice or warning! Forcing me to use Spaces when I usually disabled it... and I can't delete Chess because "OSX requires this application"... Some truly weird and funky stuff so far...

...but at least Unity works for me so far, even though coding is now a tad more cumbersome...

2. LimeSplice

LimeSplice

In System Prefs, go to mouse. At the top, untick the "Move content in the direction of finger movement when scrolling..."

3. MrDude

MrDude

Face palm.....

I've been in the mouse setting 3 times so far today and I never noticed that very long message right there right in front of me.....

...if ever there was a post that deserved a rolling eyes and the world "Duh" followed by a room full of face palm, this is most certainly it...

Thanks for pointing out my stupidity :p

4. LimeSplice

LimeSplice

haha don't worry - when i came across the problem i had to google it too after looking in mouse options :p

5. dart

dart

I still have to test shaders a bit longer, but everything is working nice so far, even on my hackintosh.

6. 3Duaun

3Duaun

sounds like things are working fine for some, and very broken for others; more good than bad reports thankfully. I would really enjoy someone else testing 3.4 on lion, before I upgrade. Has anyone here beta-tested 3.4 on Lion yet?

7. nbeshouri

nbeshouri

I have also been seeing random crashes in Lion. They happen a few times an hour. Everything is normal and then the bug reporter pops and and I have to force quit and restart. MonoDevelop will crash instantly whenever I hover my mouse over a variable in debug mode.

Unity 3.4 has not helped either of these issues. If anything the editor crashes are worse. The Angry Bot demo project crashed within a minute of opening it.

8. 3Duaun

3Duaun

for mission critical work, looks like snow leopard is definitely safer for some, for now

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  9. SteveJ

SteveJ

Yep - that's exactly what I'm getting using Unity 3.3 - I didn't specify what I meant by "crashes" earlier, so just thought I'd confirm this.

10. Esila

Esila

Assets Server is not available on my Lion.

11. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Installed Unity 3.4 then Lion then Xcode 4 latest version

Icons in the dock for Unity and MonoDevelop changed to question marks, no problem all I had to do was add the new .app icons from the freshly installed Unity 3.4 and my old Monodevelop.app

All worked fine, my current project looks fine in 3.4, built it then run it from Xcode, showed up in my iphone4 just fine.
    Then tried Unity remote to control the project running in Unity3.4, all fine
    Then, Checked "Autoconnect Profiler" checkbox in Unity's build settings dialog and tried running the project on the iPhone4 and open remote profiling in Unity (first time ever tried this), all fine.
    My Player build settings had SDK Version to iOS Latest and Target iOS Version Unknown (these were default setting so I left them untouched)

THEN
    I think the only thing I changed in Xcode was
    - iPhoneProfiler.h (Enabled the profiler (changing 0 to 1). this has to be done in this file now, not in AppController.mm anymore
    - changed the build settings from Debug No/Release Yes ... to Debug Yes
    NOW cannot run the project anymore, I get the Unity Logo on the iPhone (loading) then Error message on Excode:
    - Error Starting Executable 'mygamename'
    - putpkt: write failed: Broken pipe

I then QUIT Xcode and rebuild/run the game again from Unity... Xcode shows default build settings like the ones before I changed them (Debug No/ Release Yes).... (profiling not enabled in the iPhoneProfiler.h file). BUT NO LUCK, the putpkt error keeps coming back.

SO...
    I restarted the MAC, reinstalled Xcode.. tried again but no luck I am stuck with this error..Nothing has changed in the actual unity project.
    Any idea how I can get Xcode to work again without this error?

UDPATE
    After changing (Player Settings) SDK and Target to 4.3 Xcode was giving an error due to another instance of the game running or data still in the debugger (or something smilar) so I quit Unity/Xcode and I powered off my iPhone4 (didn't reset the MAC)
    Powred on the iphone4/Unity/Xcode and Player settings back to iOS latest and Target unknown and now that putpkt error is gone :)
    All works fine now, so maybe there was some dirt left in m iPhone :)

Anyway I will need to ask in the forums which one is the correct procedure to get the profiler working in Xcode with the Debug Console showing me profiler data because this putpkt error scares me :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  12. psychentist

psychentist

Well, I actually updated to lion about 2 weeks ago, but this is the first time I've had a decent unity session and to my horror, importing an .FBX file exported from blender causes my whole machine to crash and reboot. Bad news. I hope 10.7.1 or the next unity update come out soon.

13. MrDude

MrDude

Similar experience except my machine hangs and I have to hard boot it myself.

14. CameronB999

CameronB999

Unity 3.4 seems to work fine with Lion 10.7 11A511, I have not tested with Xcode, but I'm downloading Ios5 and Xcode 4.2 now and will report.

My only major issue is Monodevelop. I cannot resize the window effectively, and it crashes all the time. There's a post about it, and it seems like you can compile from source their git repository and it may fix the issues.

Asset Server works fine too. TY Unity!!!! :) :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  15. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

I jumped into 3.4 for this Ludum Dare and I'm really bummed out that MonoDevelop is unstable and crashes when I try to inspect anything while debugging. So I can't debug anything and it would be incredibly helpful in what I'm doing right now. Has anyone found a solution to this?

16. Jethro

Jethro

Im a nube when it comes to unity and iPhone.

My system is iMac 3 days old. Unity 3.4 and I upgraded to lion before installing unity.
    I can't get unity remote 3.0 to work. It connects to my running version of unity ok, then it says waiting for game view press play, you play the game and nothing happens? on the remote.
    BTW I don't have any iPhone code yet in the game, however I can build and run the project out to an iPad and iPod without problems. (Once I worked all that provisioning shiite out)
    I'll actually put some iPhone code in in meantime, maybe it needs a library connected or something??

17. Jethro

Jethro

OK Fixed my own problem, had firewall turned on.
    Turned if off and walla it works...

You guys had me paranoid, however I know where your coming from. I had 10 years on a competing engine, I always wait a few versions behind, the latest and greatest, opting for stability over bugs.

18. yoyemac

yoyemac

Hello¡

I have installed it a few weeks ago and i don't realize for any bug or issue.

19. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I haven't seen any Unity issues with Lion since it's release. It isn't an activation of Unity problem. I just activated Unity iOS yesterday. No crashing either. There have also been no problems with monodevelop or Unitron.

20. crushforth

crushforth

I'm having some problems inspecting the contents of variables and tracing into functions in monodevelop since upgrading to Unity3D 3.4/OSX Lion. They sound exactly like the problems Hyjinx mentioned previously.

Anyone else having these problems? Any recommendation as to things to try to get this fixed.

I did ad a bug about on the 18th August but I don't think it's been looked at yet.

Heres the top few lines of the crash log:

Process: mono [23624]
    Path: /Applications/Unity/MonoDevelop.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mono
    Identifier: com.ximian.monodevelop
    Version: 2.4.2 (2.4.2)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [272]

Date/Time: 2011-09-01 10:12:43.663 -0600
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.1 (11B26)
    Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 1277839 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 25
    Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 1198996 sec
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 8
    Anonymous UUID: 79026E5D-C658-480D-A27D-5FFC51E227F8

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: '_setFrameworkScaleFactor called with non-nil _borderView'
    *** Call stack at first throw:
    (
    0 CoreFoundation 0x98113e77 __raiseError + 231
    1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x95ee5149 objc_exception_throw + 155
    2 CoreFoundation 0x9807be89 +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 137
    3 Foundation 0x9c31792b -[NSAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:eek:bject:file:lineNumber:description:] + 116
    4 AppKit 0x9a107a65 -[NSWindow(NSWindow_Scale) _setFrameworkScaleFactor:] + 184
    5 AppKit 0x9a1079a7 -[NSWindow(NSWindow_Scale) _setScaleFactor:] + 44
    6 AppKit 0x9a10731d -[NSWindow _commonInitFrame:styleMask:backing:defer:] + 437
    7 AppKit 0x9a1068bc -[NSWindow _initContent:styleMask:backing:defer:contentView:] + 1054

21. crushforth

crushforth

Looking in to this is seems as though GTK has some issues with OSX Lion and since MonoDevelop uses GTK (I believe) this is what is causing the problem.

Several other GTK apps are having similar problems with Lion.

http://tracker.ardour.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=4218

I wonder why this is only effecting a small number of Lion users? Whats the likely hood of getting a new MonoDevelop? Is there a way of using MonoDevelop 2.6 with Unity?

22. 3Duaun

3Duaun

the MonoDevelop team has already released fixes for lion, just recently, if these can be worked into a new monodevelop for Unity, that could help many Lion Unity users

23. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Seems like a lot of people out there don't use debuggers or write flawless code. I already downgraded my iMac to Snow Leopard to get around this. I may do the same to my laptop if that isn't fixed soon because it's crushing my work flow. Has anyone found a workaround?

24. uberhamster

uberhamster

Yeah Monodevelop being broken is a real inconvenience right now. :( Any news on getting an official Unity-Monodevelop update?

25. crushforth

crushforth

Unity support got back to me and solved this issue by sending me a new 'unofficial' version of Monodevelop 2.6 for Unity. Everything seems to be working fine now for me. Thanks again Unity support/dev staff. I asked for permission to post the URL on the forums so I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

26. crushforth

crushforth

27. phocker

phocker

Joy! No more crashy, crashy!

Thank Crush!

- Paul

28. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I've found that antares universe paid version will not decompress on unity 3.4 running under lion, on my old macbook pro running 10.6, it decompresses fine.

I read something similar with mega-fiers in that thread.

Another lion issue?

29. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

30. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Thanks crushforth!! :)
    now if only we could get an ETA on Unity 3.4.1 ;-)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  31. DawgGeek84

DawgGeek84

I just upgraded to lion and found an issue. I am working on a 2D game and using a Sprite sheet png file for my character. Prior to the upgrade everything was working fine in Unity 3.4, however, now that character won't render. I have tried to a fresh checkout from the asset server to no avail. When I go the files in Unity, they appear as a jumbled mess. If I open them in finder they are fine. I also checked out from the asset server on my windows machine and there are no problems. Everything renders fine there. Anyone else having a similar issue?

32. DawgGeek84

DawgGeek84

So just tried something interesting. I duplicated the files in Finder and they loaded into unity fine. However, if I delete the originals and then rename the copys to match the originals, they error out again.

33. galent

galent

Unity converts the files into some kind of internal format, you'd need to delete the Unity generated files associated with those png files in order to clear the issue (it was probably an issue related to the generated files that caused the problem in the first place, not the actual png files).

Cheers,

Galen

34. MrDude

MrDude

/me has been using Unity since 1.5 and 3.4 is the first version that I actually want to uninstall!
    /me is having to hard reboot his stalled Mac every single other day now whereas he only had to do it 3 times in 6 years
    /me doesn't HAVE to uninstall because he was smart enough to rename the Unity folder before installation so has 2 versions installed
    /me CANNOT uninstall because, although the projects are compatible with both versions, the project that came from 3.3 now breaks during runtime whereas opening the same project in 3.4 and changing absolutely nothing, runs perfectly so unless I want to do all 4 month's work all over again I am stuck with 3.4
    /me is sooooooo desperately looking forward to 3.4.1 and PRAYING for no more system stalls every time he moves an object inside the scene!!!!
    /me is reiterating that last statement because the prairs are mounting also...

35. CameronB999

CameronB999

36. davidrivera

davidrivera

I upgraded to Unity 3.4.1 and MonoDevelop would not load up. Luckily I had the MonoDevelop that crushforth posted and that version worked. I wonder if anyone else had similar problems with the latest MonoDevelop.

37. g00niebird

g00niebird

I have Unity 3.4.1f5, running on Lion, and have noticed no problems with either Unity or MonoDevelop.

38. mehware

mehware

I have been getting a lot of crashes of the editor with unity 3.4.1f5 on my iMac with lion. Maybe 5-10 times in a working day! I don't know if it's my code but I can't even debug it when it crashes and doesn't show in the editor. Time to do some bug reports.

39. Dreamora

Dreamora

the reason MD crashes is trying to resize the window or any subwindow. Thats known to crash GTK# the mono UI framework directly on OSX Lion at least until Unity fixed its incarnation (the official mono got it fixed a while ago)

40. humeware

humeware

so is it okay to upgrade now?

41. MrDude

MrDude

I just had 3 crashes yesterday, each time because I placed a light in the scene and then moved it with the gizmo. Says a lot about stability right there.

42. Bovine

Bovine

If you're still fighting with this it's the top tickbox on the mouse options: "Move content in the direction of finger movement..."

43. warit

warit

I'm experiencing random crashes during build process (3 crashes out of 4 built) This happens only after I switched to Lion iOS. Updating Unity to the 3.4.2 didn't help either.

ps. Unitron also stopped working with Lion when there's unicode character in the script.

:/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  44. 3xploit

3xploit

I'm using the latest Unity and the latest OS X Lion. No bugs or crashes at all.

45. Somian

Somian

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  46. 3Duaun

3Duaun

47. Somian

Somian

Ok, since there's no compiled version, I decided to download the source and compile it myself. however, it requires the mono framework. How can I compile this to include the framework instead of having to install the framework? The original mono develop version that came with unity includes the framework as well in the app bundle.