Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Portal game in Unity 3D

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ggappleid, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ggappleid

ggappleid

Sup guys.
    I have made portal game in Unity.

GAME. You can play with portals in browser

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. TheCowMan

TheCowMan

Wow, that is really good! I'm not sure about investors, mostly because of the copyright factor of the game. If you could find a way to make this game unique from Portal, than I'm sure you could.

3. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thx. As far as i know, gameplay could not be copyrighted. For example socker, bascketball, or any FPS. I can not use their models, sounds, textures and so on.

4. Chub

Chub

I am not sure on your ambitions of selling the game but you would make a packet if you put that on the asset store.

5. FTheCloud

FTheCloud

Amazing, didn't know you could do that with the engine.

But... where's companion cube?!?!:(

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. HolBol

HolBol

wow, that's impressive. I'd love to know how it works, but then that would give it away ;). Nice job!

7. TheCowMan

TheCowMan

Oops, sorry that was the wrong term... I ment, so far there is nothing unique about it, yea its cool, but to get investors you have to present something "new" or "unique". Hope that cleared it up :)

8. ggappleid

ggappleid

I just want to create Portal game for browser and maybe for iPhone 5 or iPad 3 :)

9. FTheCloud

FTheCloud

I'd buy it for iPhone any day.

If you could give it a good story like the original it'd be a guaranteed hit.

10. LaneFox

LaneFox

totally badass.

11. Chaoss

Chaoss

wow kool, I was just going to say I bet you can't make it so you can see through the Portals but then watched the video :D

12. eTag96

eTag96

@Chaoss: It's easy to make the portals "see through" like this. But you need PRO. or some really awesome Script for Unity Free. the feature's called RenderToTexture.

13. jeffro11

jeffro11

You can also render another camera to a depthmask shader. This is how portal does it.

Very good work! Keep it up!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  14. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thanks. I dont know how to make it now. But i am going to create depthmask shader after i finish with basic portal's stuff, like going through the hole, or keep moment of inertia for object that get into the hole and so on...

15. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Didn't someone already do this ages ago? I remember I read somewhere Portal was "ported" to iPhone using Unity.

16. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

17. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Yeh that's the one! :D
    I wonder who in the forum made it.

18. ggappleid

ggappleid

It was writen maybe 1 or 2 years ago, and it was not me :)

19. hizral

hizral

really like to learn how to do this.

20. ggappleid

ggappleid

This is mathematic only. A lot of mathematic.

I am not 3D designer, so i cant create it. But if you could make simple model i will add it into project, and next videos (new features) will be with that cube :)

21. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Well, minus the reflection, I don't see how it would be all that hard to duplicate the portal effect. You'd have to instantiate the object, and just apply all forces/properties to both, relative to the location of both portals.

Of course. I say this not having tried it. I'm not trying to belittle your work, as with the physics it'd more then likely much harder then I am saying it is, but that's the basic principle. I don't see why it would take 3 weeks to duplicate (like the linked to video only a couple posts above said). Especially if you have pro to do render to texture.

O-o then again, I think you can have almost any game done and fairly polished in a month, as long as story is done and you have someone to do the art for you while you code. ... A 2 person team = a month then I guess. But at full time, instead of just when you have extra time, then fully doable with that small of a team in a month.

... Please don't flame me for saying that all... I just have high expectations of myself and others. I don't see why it takes 3 years to come out with most games, especially with 20+ people working on it full time. Heck, I created a labyrinth game in 6.5 hours for android. Start to finish, only bug is that I didn't tell it to not turn off the screen, so it just shouldn't take that long to do stuff... O-o... No offense to anyone.

(My issue is I just never sit down and just do it XD)

O-o I think I've been rambling for a bit... Sorry XD

22. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

23. hizral

hizral

Can I learned.

24. c-Row

c-Row

IIRC from the audio commentary, they also duplicate parts of the level geometry when moving through portals so you can look out of one when the floor to stand on is located under the other.

25. ggappleid

ggappleid

Good idea, but in Unity that's imposible to do in such way. I think the best solution will be do not copy all geometry, but only that geometry what you are touching now.

@hizral84 All you see, was created using a bunch of "transformation matrix". All cameras rotation and object moving through portal was made with this technick. My portals can be rotated on any angles, and they still will be working right (i mean physics and image from other portal). It take me a month to make it work like in original portal. There is still many bugs, but in generally it work nice. The next step i am working on, is to going through portal.

Finally i have created a companion cube :)

26. isil

isil

27. macdude2

macdude2

So did you use render textures or a depth mask shader for this?

28. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

29. ggappleid

ggappleid

Since last week i have rewrite portals collision code. Now portals working with moving colliders behind them. Speed of objects up to 25. Add opportunity to have more then 1 pair of portals. Also i have add slowmotion. Next step, is going through portal.

If someone interested to support project, please visit this collaboration thread on forum.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  30. ggappleid

ggappleid

Ok Guys. Here is what i got now. I have finished going through portals
    It is still a little buggy, but looks nice. If you still want to collaborate, welcome

31. Arab

Arab

Nice job :) Looks nice

32. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

33. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thanks. I am trying to get more from this engine

34. ggappleid

ggappleid

Here is first tests of new shaders that use ClipPlane to cut invisible parts of objects. I took shader from here. Also xxxDjdogxxx has gave me simple Portal gun.

I am newbie in Shaders, so i can't modify shader now to make it for example "Self Illum/Specular Bump" or either. Now i just modify light, to get object more lighter

So i need "shader guru", that can help me with this project. If you know someone, or you want to work with me, please contact me

35. ggappleid

ggappleid

36. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Works great!

37. a1s2d3f4

a1s2d3f4

How do you make objects going through the portals be able to be like half through the portal like that?

38. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thank you

For visual part i have used this modified shader. To make it do not collide with other object behind the wall, i have used Physics.IgnoreCollision function.

39. Artimese

Artimese

Wow this is like the same result as the legit portal game, im impressed....

40. macdude2

macdude2

So do you use render textures, object duplication or a depth mask to make these portals?

41. ggappleid

ggappleid

Demo has been updated. You can try to play with portals. It is not ready yet and can glitch a lot. Script that place portal in right point will be soon. Dont shoot to low, because you will fall through floor To grab object, hold E button

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  42. CriTaG

CriTaG

Nice demo, my compliments!
    But I have some problems with the mouse.
    I prefer to have the cursor disappeared, so that I can completely focus on the crosshair.
    I use the Screen.lockCursor = true and it works fine for me.
    But, great job :)

43. janpec

janpec

If Portal game wouldnt have already been made, your game would have amazing potential as seller:D

44. ggappleid

ggappleid

My fault. Now it's use lockCursor

lol

45. ggappleid

ggappleid

I made new video:

46. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

That music made me laugh :p

47. ggappleid

ggappleid

Hehe :D This is random Jazz composition from YouTube music templates. I have chosen the shortest one

48. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

doing stuff like that is sure not an easy task.
    but it's a pity that people are investing time in things, that are senseless.
    The company VALVE has already exhausted all of the genre with portal2!
    pity about the time of talented scripters.

the only thing you can do is to put it in the asset store, for others who also won't finish a game with it.

50. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

I hate to ask, but I'm looking for the visual half of this effect for special effects like projecting a 3d view onto a wall. Would it be at all possible to get a clue about the relative math needed to get the view right?

Keep in mind, I'm not asking about the more advanced physics of relative motion, I need the relative positioning of the second camera and how it's displayed on the receiving texture/plane.