Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Portal game in Unity 3D

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ggappleid, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ggappleid

ggappleid

Hi Foolish Frost. I need money for my project, so i decide to make a simple Portal package this weekends. You will be able to buy it from AssetStore, after unity team will aproove it. In this package you will see how to fluidly teleport objects through portals with keeping phisics works right. But there is no advanced collision part that disable collisions between object in portal, and colliders behind it (portal). Here is future DEMO.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Cool. How much?

3. ggappleid

ggappleid

I will give it for FREE to anyone, who could make attached project work with couple of shaders. The most important : standart "SelfIllum Bumped Specular Shader", "Diffuse shader", "SelfIllum Specular Shader" and to make work it on iOS. Also this changes would be include in next Portal Package build. Attached project i took here

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Really sorry to say, but I can't help you on that level myself. I may need hel with 3d relative math for viewing windows, but I know next to nothing about shaders, and use the Strumpy Shader kit for most of my needs.

Sadly, I think you may need something a touch more advanced than that.

Please let me know about pricing when you get a chance. And good luck getting the shader to work.

5. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Annnd, of course, I figure a solution for my effect. I want to thank you for your offer!

6. HolBol

HolBol

Awesome work. Even if i did manage to get out the level- ooooh smearing :L

7. ggappleid

ggappleid

Project was updated. New DEMO available.
    New screen:

8. Dreeka

Dreeka

This is pure awsome! I like the new graphics!

9. MEV

MEV

At this point i see no reason why people should buy this over Portal 2, unless you implement features that Portal 2 doesn't have. An idea would be to make a Online PvP shooter (like CoD/Battlefield) and include the portal system. In that case you would have exciting gameplay with features that no game has ever had before. :) This should take some time, but from playing the Demo i think you are capable of achieving this :)

10. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thx. I planned to make game free. My goal now is to make a good puzzle game. And yes, i will implement all portal 2 features, and a few new types of puzzle

11. _zeta

_zeta

Hey Bro, I would want to get the source for studie if possible, i would even think about buying but that would be kinda really hard rightnow as i dont have cash on the moment and its just for studies nothing commercial.....

12. ggappleid

ggappleid

Hi. It's not possible. You can only buy Portalizer package in asset store to learn basically how it works.

13. _zeta

_zeta

I understand you pretty good bro, i will what i can do.
    Wont buy for now but maybe some other time, anyways faved AStore Page for later time.

14. WooSpringBreak

WooSpringBreak

Why did you waste your time doing this?

15. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Pretty impressive.

One critique I would give would be on the "nudge" movement towards portals when falling (to help align the body with the portal): When doing an infinite loop, it's a bit harder to get out of the loop than it is in Portal (it's a bit too strong), yet when gaining momentum and portalling off of a ramp towards the other side of the room, it's hard to continue that loop with another portal at the end (a bit too weak in those situations). Your handling of it is pretty good otherwise, and everything else is great =D

Also, if you're looking for paint, I'll just leave this webplayer here (full disclaimer, I made and sell this package, so I'm a bit biased):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33426743/Fluvio2/Fluvio2.html
    (Note: take down the quality from beautiful/fantastic if it's running slow)

Detecting paint surfaces (to apply a physics effect or make a surface portal-able) is fairly trivial as well.

16. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thank you for advices. And about painting, thx for leaving webplayer here, but i need to make fluid by myself (using large metaballs) because of teleport technique

17. ggappleid

ggappleid

Demo was updated. Now you can nicely destroy objects

18. macdude2

macdude2

So are you going to compete with me on the iPhone, or do I have that market to myself?

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you have it to yourself? that sounds tempting to muscle in then :)

On a serious note, have you considered in app purchases? might actually be a nice earner for you.

20. macdude2

macdude2

I have, hippo. The problem is that Valve won't let me charge for anything unless it looks entirely different from their version. They want me to create a new theme, new, original, levels as well as my own models and textures before I start selling something along the lines of portal for money on the app store.

I really don't have the technical skills, creative juices, time nor the financial resources to produce the needed 2d and 3d materials (considering I am a junior in high school involved with college and SAT stuff right now) for new levels. I am, essentially, stuck right now in regards to making money from my game. Do you have any ideas?

21. ggappleid

ggappleid

Hi Macdude. Can you show us a letter that you get from Valve? Do i interrupt any of their terms?

22. ggappleid

ggappleid

Does anyon know how to make such nice visual effects like here? The most interesting is how works color channels shifting and aberration. As i understand it is not anaglyph

23. macdude2

macdude2

Really West? You are going to put it on the iPhone? It is actually much harder to optimize than you might think. I also have an update coming out soon that will make my game, graphically, a lot better. Just out of curiosity, did you make those models yourself or did you have someone else make them for you?

24. ggappleid

ggappleid

@macdude2
    No i wouldn't put this game on iPhone now. Maybe when iPad3 would be released, i will try to port the game on it. The problem in your game not in graphically part, but in teleporting technique (or maybe will you use my Portalizer packege?). And about models. I hire a freelancer, that make all models based on my sketches and ideas. And what about letter? Could you show it to me?

25. c-Row

c-Row

Yeah, why waste your time climbing the Mount Everest? It's been done before.

</sarcasm>

26. ggappleid

ggappleid

Demo was updated. First level prototype has been added. Try it

27. ggappleid

ggappleid

First screenshot:

28. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

What you should do is buy a FPS starter kit and give us the game Valve wont, a hybrid FPS( can be single player to start) portal type game

29. ggappleid

ggappleid

Demo updated. Add 2 maps.

Video of one map walkthrough:

30. ggappleid

ggappleid

Here is few screenshots:

31. TehWut

TehWut

Agreed, you could fill your pockets with cash if you released something as awesome as a Portal system :0

32. Wolfos

Wolfos

I wouldn't sell that, no. Valve would sue your ass off and with good reason as well, it's a clone.

33. bobbert234

bobbert234

Very nice project!

I am playing the song from the main menu (Russian Sailors Dance) in band what a coincidence.

34. PolyMad

PolyMad

I don't think so. As suggested already, you cannot copyright game dynamics, only intellectual property like characters, atmosphere, locations, etc.
    If he only sells a similar game with portals dynamics nobody can tell him anything.
    Otherwise John Carmack could sue ALL the videogame companies for each and every FPS on the planet.
    But the examples are many: there are many turret defense games, manyplatformers very similar, many tetris, many FP RPG, I can go on for hours.

35. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thank you guys for your interest to this project. The project would be free and i think it will be distributed in a few ways, but additional content (mappacks) will be available after you donate any amount of money through In-App purchasing. All this resources will be used for further development and game improvement.

36. Wolfos

Wolfos

Sigh, you can sue someone for ANYTHING, it doesn't matter if they will win. It might not be illegal, but any judge will say the game looks and feels too much like Portal.

37. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

That looks like the Vignette effect in Unity image effects. It has a paramter called aberration as well.

38. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Don't lissen to negative responses about stealing copyrights and so....

...work on it...

• polysh the game mechanics
    • work hard on the controls
    • create new ideas and convert them to you game
    • let someone do simple grafic assets, so it doesn't look bewildering
    • create 30 levels
    • finish it
    • release it!
    and give it another name......after releasing it you can pimp it up with achievements and other stuff.

DO IT!

btw great work!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    C.L. likes this.
  39. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

Its a great start ! Here are some comments:

-The dream-like effect is cool but after a while it feels strange for me. That might just be me but I couldn't play a whole game with that effect on.

- The aesthetics are too similar to portal's. If thats what you were going for then I guess its ok, but if you plan on making a game and selling it then I doubt it will work. Think about having a different style that way it will look less like a portal clone. An example would be to make the style steampunk; that would be great. Actually the switches that look like mousetraps made me think of that.

Instead of having those sci-fi rooms clean futuristic rooms, think having rooms that don't remind the player of portal... I played your demo and the only thing it did for me was to make me want to go play portal lol. Just switching a heart for a star logo wont cut it.

-Bring something that portal doesn't have. Why are you doing this game? Is it just to clone portal and make extra levels ? If yes, then its a fail. You should to bring something that portal doesn't have. Why should I play this instead of portal ? You should focus on using portals maybe in another way than the portal games have used it. Its a good beginning but it needs an extra twist.

Instead of using cubes that you have to place on switches, think of something else, instead of a gun that shoots portals maybe have the main character be a robot that shoot them from its hands. Just these small details will make a difference.

-The level design is not very solid. I find myself wondering what I am supposed to do and I had to ignore half the signs because they were more confusing rather than helpful. I still made it pretty far but at some point my gun got stuck and I couldn't shoot anymore (when alternating shoot and grab I think it made the gun stuck).

Hope this helps improve your project !

40. ggappleid

ggappleid

Hi. Thank you for your advices. If comunity will be interested in this project (i will see it through in-game donations), i will continue improving the game. Here is few screenshots of new bonus level

41. RyanSchurton

RyanSchurton

That's what I was thinking would love too see a tut on how to make this.

42. ggappleid

ggappleid

Add some video with bonus level "Angry birds"

43. ggappleid

ggappleid

The game was finished and published on Kongregate. Link : http://bit.ly/NlVG8v
    Some screenshot:

44. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Pretty fun, good job.

45. thesaint1987

thesaint1987

Hmm that's odd ^^. Two idiots, one thought ;). Good job so far, even though my approach is totally different, you already did some stuff I have yet to approach, since my development so far was focused on infrastructure and world editing.

The main troublespot I see so far are the portals... How did you do them ^^. Just I haven't really thought of them yet but it still kinda intruiges me how you combine this rendering to texture with the 3D object "floating" out of it. How to you get this smooth transition?!

Everything else also works in my project :). Just that I didn't put much emphasis on graphics at this stage.

46. eteeski

eteeski

this is really cool.

47. ggappleid

ggappleid

Thank you. I will sell source code with all art maybe in 2 month. So wait a little bit :3

48. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Can't be that hard to make, Valve did it. :)

49. douglaswalkers

douglaswalkers

Unity is a legal tool that developing 3D video games. I like to play 3D video game because Unity 3 game development tool concentrate to make amazing games. Doom Siege, Laser cannon 2 and 3D monster golf are best games for me.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  50. ggappleid

ggappleid

-

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013