Unity Community

View Poll Results: Maya or Blender with unity?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maya 2012

38 42.22%
  • Blender 2.58

52 57.78%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

1. Location
    USA

Maya 2011 or Blender?

So me and a friend are at a stand-off, is maya 2012 or blender 2.58 better with the untiy game engine, i say and use maya, and he uses blender.
    The "World" is 3D.

2. Location
    Nebraska
    Which are better for painting : Oil paints, or water paints?

Both of tools which are going to do mostly the same things. Maya's main advantages over blender won't help when exporting models.

3. Super Moderator
    maya beats the hell out of blender in every single category, but also costs many thousands.

Maya does directly help more in game development than blender because maya's tools just automagically work - such as normal map generation, texture baking etc - very stable. For 2D work maya also wins head and shoulders over blender due to the renderers available to maya.

Another area maya wins are the very robust and actually useful animation tools - these are perfected over many years in production environments. Maya is a clear winner. If you have the money.

But you know, you're probably not going to afford Maya, given its more expensive than unity pro while blender is absolutely free. And that free part of blender is why it has been embraced by the indie development community.
    Currently working with Sony on our new
    PS4 and Vita game in Unity!

This post is not representative of Simian Squared Ltd

4. Location
    Massachusetts
    Deleted by poster.
    Last edited by Redbeer; 07-23-2011 at 11:57 AM.

5. Posts
    windex and redbeer are right, workflow and imagination is the key, the tool is secondary.

6. Location
    UK, Grimsby
    Doesnt matter what tool you use, as long as you can supply the right file format and better quality, who in the indie world cares!

As for myself im still on blender 2.49, I have a passionate hate for the new 2.5+ although I know i will get into it eventually

7. Posts
    Depends. Do you have a lot of money or a high pain threshold? If you have a lot of money, Maya is the way to go. If you have a high threshold for pain Blender is the way to go (because it's a PITA to learn!). If you have neither, find a third option. I recommend you look into DAZ products. Much cheaper than Maya and not as headache inducing to learn as Blender.

8. Volunteer Moderator
    There are some annoying things in Blender, but it's not that hard to learn for game modeling. Most of the confusing stuff you don't even need to use. I seriously doubt that someone completely new to 3D modeling would find Blender particularly more painful than Maya.

--Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes

9. Location
    Singapore
    I agree with what most of you have said above. But i think this is up to yourself. Blender have evolved over the years and i think have become quite good in what it does. Maya on the other hand have being a very good tool to use especially in the Animation industry. Max is more suited for game modeling. I think this is rather a who is using it rather than which is better question, I have seen different tools being used for the Unity work flow. Some use Modo, some use Cinema4D, some lightwave. So i think its not a matter of what is better.

In fact Maya is practically more superior than Blender in this case. Maya is more matured and is for industry but the licenses is just too much. Use what you like and stick with it. It's just like my class have someone who love 3ds max and he can argue why max is better than maya which most of the people in my class are using. It's a matter of preference.
    I don't break rules. I bend them.

10. Location
    Sooke
    Now that Blenders UI is good. Blender.
    -Insert quote here
    ---Famous Person

11. Location
    UK, Grimsby
    Quote Originally Posted by killer1390 View Post
    Now that Blenders UI is good. Blender.
    Its one of the things I actually dislike about the the blender, the UI. their old one was perfectly fine and simple as hell

12. Location
    Sooke
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesamways View Post
    Its one of the things I actually dislike about the the blender, the UI. their old one was perfectly fine and simple as hell
    Well, each to there own I suppose, I found the old one to be really clutterf*cked.
    -Insert quote here
    ---Famous Person

13. Location
    Sacramento, CA
    If you can afford it most of the pro tools are best. If you can't afford it Blender is an excellent choice. If you use a pro tool like Maya or Max extensively there are a ton of shortcuts and helpers, neat little things that make developing assets a lot simpler. It also helps if you want to work in a professional environment someday. Industry standard tools are required to work at most places and no one has the money to take people off of crunch to teach someone a new app and workflow or leave them to their own devices to learn one on their own.

It doesn't help that most game job vacancies for artists come about towards the end of development when they need to accelerate asset production to meet deadlines, so you may only get hired a few months at a time since a lot of places can't afford to sustain a large workforce indefinitely, only for the length of a project.

If your not looking to working professionally and don't have a big budget and are just doing it as a fun hobby you will probably be better off with blender. It does most things if you have patience and is free.

14. Location
    USA
    seems as though its is still a stand-off 5 to 5, maya must win.
    The "World" is 3D.

15. Posts
    the whole autodesk office is already cheering ^^

16. Location
    Portland, OR
    I never had the patience to figure out blender, so I use maya.

I also do think maya has some features that make it better for game development. The mental ray transfer maps functionality is nice for baking things down into maps and normal maps. Mental ray is a better renderer and baking engine than what blender can offer. So if you were dealing with that stuff in anyway, maya is deal.

17. Location
    Australia
    Another one for Blender, it's free and can do everything you want it to. I also use 2.49 and have a hate for 2.5, because of the new UI and I had a lot of trouble exporting to Unity, so went back to 2.49.
    Intel i7 @ 3.4GHz - 8.00 GB RAM - Windows 8 (64-bit) - Nvidia GTX660 1.5GB

ShadowRoom on Kongregate | Swarm on Kongregate | MPS on Kongregate | Sound Wave on Kongregate

18. Posts
    Personally I've pretty much only ever used 3ds max. I started on max, tried blender at a later date and really didn't like it. It felt so backwards and at times limited. I'm sure it can do anything just seems to take a lot more effort.
    So voted maya if you can afford it. You can get max/maya free if you're a student anyway.

I'd definately use max or maya though if you can.
    Max is focused on game development whereas maya is more focused on film.
    Max has a distinct advantage for game development using the bi-ped feature.

http://machinimart.com/maya-vs-3ds-max/
    Last edited by tertle; 07-13-2011 at 06:26 PM.

19. Posts
    I got Maya for free at the autodesk site....

I went there and selected student, and it gave me the program free; not even a trial, the full thing, even an activation code...

Its useful.

I like both equally.

I prefer Maya for animating though.

20. Location
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by tertle View Post
    Personally I've pretty much only ever used 3ds max. I started on max, tried blender at a later date and really didn't like it. It felt so backwards and at times limited. I'm sure it can do anything just seems to take a lot more effort.
    So voted maya if you can afford it. You can get max/maya free if you're a student anyway.

I'd definately use max or maya though if you can.
    Max is focused on game development whereas maya is more focused on film.
    Max has a distinct advantage for game development using the bi-ped feature.

http://machinimart.com/maya-vs-3ds-max/
    I too am a max user, though I have used both maya (in college years ago) and blender, over the last 5 years or so. The only thing i really don't like about Maya, is it's material editor, I could never get the hang of it in college, and as far as blender goes.....I've tried 2.3/4x and 2.5, and it just looked and felt so primitive, (although 2.56 looked looked alot more "Professional" and useable, to an extent) and the workflow.....*shudders*

Really though, it's a matter of preference, if you can aford a comercial liscense of Max/Maya/Softimage (the cheapest of the three), go for one of them (and if you're a student, register with Autodesk's Education Community and download the free versions, I did (max 2012 and Mudbox 2012), but, if you can't aford one of The Big Three, and don't feel like getting Modo (I wouldn't advise it ATMO, since Modo still doesn't have character animation tools, no dedicated "Bone" objects that Unity will recognize), then get blender (just be prepared to scratch your head alot trying to figure it out)

Quote Originally Posted by luhjgh

I got Maya for free at the autodesk site....

I went there and selected student, and it gave me the program free; not even a trial, the full thing, even an activation code...

Its useful.

I like both equally.

I prefer Maya for animating though.
    It's also time limited, the liscenses on the Student versions last for 3 years. (a hell of a lot better than the 30 day trials), but they can be renewed/extended, i believe.
    Last edited by Anthony85; 07-13-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Games in pipeline:

"Target Sighted" FPS Archery game - Pre Alpha/Planning stage.

War of The Worlds re-make, Title undecided. Remake of the 1998 RTS game. Pre-Alpha/Planning stage.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast