Search Unity

Snowscape: Realtime snow environment pack.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ScienceFiction, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Introducing Snowscape 1.0 to The Asset Store.

Features included:
    • Snow Accumulation Shader (SM2.0).
    • Optimized Snow-Mound Deformation Plowing.
    • Surface-Normal Accurate Footprints.
    • Central Effects' Control Script.
    • Fully Configured Demo Scene.
    • For Windows and OS X.
    • For Indie and Pro.
    • Simple Modular Design, Easily Imported.
    • Commented Code Detailed Instructions.

Available on The Unity Asset Store. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. The Snow Accumulation Shader and Deformer do not work with Unity's built-in Terrain, they only work with meshes. Please be patient with the Demo Scene, it takes a couple of minutes for the snow to really accumulate, and a couple more minutes for its depth to increase.
    The speed, and occurrence of all effects are easily controlled with 2 or 3 static variables.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

That is looking great and i can see my foot steps too ;)

3. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Thanks Stolley! I need to add a couple of finishing touches before I submit this. Namely, the footprints need to fade away, instead of just abruptly de-rezing, and there will be sound effects as well, like snow crunching under foot, and shuffling through deep piles of snow.
    Hopefully you lot won't find too many problems with the webplayer, but I am looking forward to fixing anything.

4. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

How was the performance M_Stolley?

5. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

On my 2006 iMac it was fluid in the browser.

6. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very nice! Can well on my 4 gig pc.

7. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Cool shader interpolation :) One thing you may want to try is a blurring step on the snow layer, to fuzz the edges.

8. Anthony85

Anthony85

Looks very impressive. :) Nice work.

9. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Thanks guys. Xenoargh, thats a good idea, i have no idea how to blur efficiently, though I'll investigate it. The very reason that this type of alpha masking effect works is because it makes hard edges from color levels. Blurring the textures would just make less level range, thus choppier ans splotchier "accumulation". Is there a shader function to blur cut-outs?

Edit:Edge Blurring, in Unity Pro can achieve that softening effect. Snowscape is intended to work on both indie and pro equally, so I'll keep looking.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. kerters

kerters

nice one ! i like it but i get low frame rates on a imac i7 , and the particle effects when walking in deep snow could look a bit smoother but overall great work ..will get this when its ready for sure :)

11. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

thanks for the comments, I will work on the particles you mentioned. The performance hog is the mesh deformer, and there isn't much more I can do with that, save performing all the deformation in a shader, on the GPU. The demo scene is deforming about 70K triangles, lower complexity scenes run alot faster. I'm surprised that its slow on your i7 though, Stolley's older imac plays it smoothly.
    Oh, a general note of caution- don't use fraps with snowscape. Fraps will grind the fps down, by half or more, I don't now why but maybe its because I'm using the fixed timestamp for deformation performance.

12. imump

imump

Very impressive, great work.

I'd like to integrate this into Unisky when I get a chance, see how it goes, Same for your Rainscape script also.

13. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Yeah, that would be awesome iMup! I plan to make one or 2 more environment effects, I'll be keeping Rainscape and Snowscape updated, and you will be able to integrate all 3 or 4 of them together to create detailed weather cycles.

14. artzfx

artzfx

This looks great. Love the footsteps. Will the snow settle on the tree?

+1 to working with UniSky.

15. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Yep, it will...

16. Demostenes

Demostenes

It would be good idea to put there some framerate counter.

17. ryand-unity

ryand-unity

wow looks Good.i love the Snow Shader.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  18. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

good idea.

19. ERichards

ERichards

Will it be possible to initialize the accumulation level before a scene is loaded, and prevent the delay while the snow falls?

Also, will we be able to stop the accumulation at a certain point if we only want half-snowy areas?

20. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Yes and yes. The snow level is based on the alpha value in the shader, set it to what ever you like per material, in the inspector .

21. DylanCPL

DylanCPL

Very impressive, but I found some glitches:
    -footprints appeared mid-jump, and only one foot appeared during landing(as if it were skipping rather than jumping)
    -footprint appeared on the rock when there was not snow on it(which also led to floating footprints)
    -you can fall out of the map
    also it may need sound effects, maybe the footprints should fade away and when you stand still, it should make two footprints, because when I look down, it looks like I'm standing on one leg.
    Very nice though and great job!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  22. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

dsdwdf
    fixed...

i have the solution, and it will be fixed before release.

i'm not very concerned with the map edges, because this is just a demo scene, for how to set up the various components. If you were making an FPS you could even put a fence around the terrain, and make it an installation of some sort. I'm working on the sound effects,
    and you are absolutely right about the one leg thing, i was going for a "Karate Kid" finale-style walk animation. I'll fix everything you mentioned before I submit this to the store. Thanks for your comments!

I plan to submit snowscape 1.0 tomorrow.

23. sleglik

sleglik

What about melting? Is it possible?

24. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

sleglik- Yes, everything is controlled from one variable, multiplied by a time scale variable. The function that handles accumulation of snow, runs in reverse when it is not snowing. Melting occurs as soon as it stops snowing, and you can control the speed at which it melts.

25. Aron

Aron

So is the accumulation entirely based upon alpha, or does it factor in world normal direction as well?

26. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

yes, world direction normal is used in the shader to blend surfaces based on their angel towards the sky.

27. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Wait until the snow stops, and the scene will melt.
    I also reduced the webplayer size significantly, and add some last minute touches. Comments are always appreciated.

Webplayer

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  28. kerters

kerters

Sweet! 60 fps all the way... very cool ! :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  29. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Very glad to hear that kerters!

30. Aron

Aron

this submitted yet? :)

31. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I submitted it 2 days ago.

32. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

33. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

34. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Thanks!

35. Demostenes

Demostenes

61 FPS all the time (i know this is limit of webplayer). i7 2600k, geforce 470.

36. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Thanks Demostenes!

37. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

38. onllm

onllm

i am interested in mobile performance of your product

39. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I haven't tested it on mobile, but I can tell you right now that the plowing feature will not work on mobile devices. I also know that particle emitters can be a performance drain on mobiles. The shader however should work fine. I will be getting an android lisence soon to develop mobile versions of both snowscape and rainscape. The mobile versions will be included with the current releases.

40. Aron

Aron

Any way you could bundle a snow shader in that contains the diffuse in it as well underneath the snow? I know it wouldn't really work with your mesh deformation system, but sometimes I get z-sorting issues on complex geometry, and would rather not duplicate meshes in every case. This way it won't interfere with occlusion and light mapping as much too. Great work though.

41. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I've been working on that Aron, I'm half way done, so to answer your question... yes I will include a shader which includes the snow-less diffuse texture. In the mean time, I suggest you offset the y position of your snow geometry by a couple hundredths of a fraction.

42. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Updated Snowscape to 1.03, now includes a 'single-mesh accumulation shader' in SM2 and SM3 flavors, as requested by Aron Chavez.

43. Aron

Aron

Awesome, thanks!

44. Aron

Aron

Hmm, for some reason it displays as having the new shaders in the asset store, but when I import the updated package (and even redownload), there are no new shaders?

45. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

That's not good, I assure you I uploaded it. Ill figure out what happened, please wait until Sunday and I will personally email you tthe new shader. I'm out of town until Sunday, sorry.

46. Nikdy98

Nikdy98

I will definitely be buying this!

47. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Updated snowscape, again, with the new shaders. Please PM me Aron, with your email address so that I can send you the shader asap.

48. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

please add a review and or stars if you've purchased Snowscape!

49. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I'm considering creating a second demo scene to show off the versatility of Snowscape. You can after all make more than snowy mountain vistas. Any suggestions on what type of scene you all would like to see buried in snow?

50. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Well as you know, I sure would like to do a ski hill. :)
    I also gave this a positive review on the asset store, you have been a great help to people who have bought this.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011