Search Unity

Add Bink video Support to Unity.

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by vamsikg, Jul 12, 2011.

1. vamsikg

vamsikg

Its tough to play video with Alpha in unity. Bink is one of the best video formats that support alpha and uses compression. Unity should pickup Bink support in Unity. This will help developers a lot in developing games with lot of videos.

2. zine92

zine92

I don't think it's possible seeing as to bink being a proprietary format meaning having to pay a sum of money in order for Unity to have bink support. But i do hope better video playback too.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

What the heck do you think Beast, Substance and Umbra is mate? its middleware like Bink :p

shkar-noori likes this.
  4. zine92

zine92

Unity uses Umbra/Substance. Never heard of that until now. Hah. Pardon me. But i see UDK using it. Not sure what are the pros of Bink. Unless there's a need.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

The Pro of bink:

1. Smaller movies
    2. Proper hardawre usage on all platforms with acceleration unlike Ogg theora that sifts around on CPU
    3. 1 format for all platforms, not 2+ formats to cover mobile too
    4. No crap quality (you can turn it however you want but the quality of ogg theoras is very bad), bink is some worlds smaller (tested it with a bink movie included in a build to get an idea on the size and the filesize is several times smaller)
    5. It is really supported and has a supported conversion pipeline - ogg theora ... well if you ever tried to find a well working tool to convert (the unity inbuilt leads to very bad quality and takes long) you know why I added that point :)

Question is if the makers of bink are interested in an integration. Umbra and Beast are both not used that much, for them it made sense to seek such a broad exposure, same goes for Substance

6. zine92

zine92

Well if you say it like this. It does makes bink useful for making in game cinematic which makes it extremely useful. I guess Bink have UDK for exposure and it will be a matter of if Unity wants to adopt Bink and pay for the licensing or stuff like that.

7. jeffro11

jeffro11

Bink doesn't need any more exposure. It is a well proven system that's been used for over a decade. I second this.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

thats exactly the problem, they need no more exposure so why should they be interested being integrated in unity pro (its not as if the free is gonna get movie). Its normal license for a multiplatform title is beyond 10000 USD per title, thats 7+ times what unity pro costs and they request the same fees again if your application undergoes a significant enhancement (Expansion or similar growth)