Unity Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Posts

What programs do you use???

I am wondering what programs people use.

I use Zbrush (or maya occasionally)
    And GIMP.

2. Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    SAWFISH Entertainment LLC
    http://www.sawfishentertainment.com
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Independent Android Game Developer
    Unity 3 Pro, Android Pro

3. Location
    Valparaíso, Chile
    you could do a poll :P

I´m entirely free software, blender, gimp, unity free, audacity, lmms... i have no money
    Hi..

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mig-081 View Post
    you could do a poll :P

I´m entirely free software, blender, gimp, unity free, audacity, lmms... i have no money
    I also use Audacity.

5. Location
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Is very good, has some good filters and easy to use..
    Hi..

6. Location
    Cleveland, OH, USA
    I use:

Photoshop CS5 64-bit
    Carrara 8 Pro 64-bit
    Blender 2.58a 64-bit
    Visual Studio 2010 Pro
    Poser Pro 2010
    Sculptris Alpha 6 (although currently eyeing Mudbox 2012 or ZBrush 4 at this point).
    Unity 3.3 Standard Edition

My budget for software licenses is approx. $700/mo., so realistically, a Maya or Max license would have been out of the question for me, so I went to DAZ and Smith Micro for some of the software, although I also do have Bryce 7 Pro, Hexagon 2.5, and DAZ Studio 3 Advanced, I still feel that Carrara 8 Pro and Poser Pro 2010 have the right features for Unity asset creation in and of themselves. We shall see how these tools go as I move along.
    Last edited by WedgeBob; 07-17-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    PC Specs: AMD Phenom II x4 955, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, 8GB DDR3-1600, Sapphire HD5850, 160GB X25-M SSD, 2xWD Caviar Blacks (500GB+640GB), Corsair HX620W PSU, LG 8x BD-RE, Win 7 Pro x64, 2x24" LCD (Dell 2408WFP, Samsung T240), Bose Companion 3, DAS Pro KB, MX518 Mouse.

7. Location
    Michigan USA
    My budget for software licenses is approx. $700/mo., so realistically, a Maya or Max license would have been out of the question for me
    Wow, with that kind of a budget you could probably save about $500 a month for long enough to buy a Max license,
    I would think. But, you would know your own situation.

I use Adobe Master Collection CS 5 (mostly Photoshop and After Effects)
    Max 2012
    And Unity 3.3
    All 64 bit but, Unity.
    (hint, hint)
    ...we see through a glass darkly...

Game Blog

8. Posts
    Didn't heard of GIMP what's that?
    i use max, zbrush, mudbox, revit, motion builder, face gen,... photoshop, after effect,...

9. Location
    Cleveland, OH, USA
    Well, I would have thought about a Max or Maya license eventually, but since I was looking at getting into modeling in the short term, the tools I posted were good for getting my hands dirty right away. Also, there are professional tutorials on Carrara from Infinite Skills, I believe, and 3D Buzz was also working on Blender tutorials, and Photoshop CS5 hasn't changed THAT much since the 3D Buzz vids on those...so I'm pretty much set on getting into this.
    PC Specs: AMD Phenom II x4 955, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, 8GB DDR3-1600, Sapphire HD5850, 160GB X25-M SSD, 2xWD Caviar Blacks (500GB+640GB), Corsair HX620W PSU, LG 8x BD-RE, Win 7 Pro x64, 2x24" LCD (Dell 2408WFP, Samsung T240), Bose Companion 3, DAS Pro KB, MX518 Mouse.

10. Location
    Moraira-Alicante-Spain
    3ds max, its expensive, but its worth every penny

11. Location
    California
    I use:

Modo 501 - for modeling,painting/textures,baking and sculpting
    3DCoat - retopology(mostly)
    Sculptris - sculpting 3D concept

12. Location
    Michigan USA
    3ds max, its expensive, but its worth every penny
    There's a 30 day free trial (most likely Maya too) so be sure to run that first,
    don't spend that kind of money just because others (like me) like it.
    ...we see through a glass darkly...

Game Blog

13. Location
    Cleveland, OH, USA
    The only time I used Maya was when Alias was still around, and they were still offering the Personal Learning Edition. Now that Autodesk swallowed up Alias, and kissed the PLE goodbye, I decided for a cheaper alternative in Carrara 8 Pro, and I also have Hexagon and Bryce 7 Pro, and those do integrate well into each other, and DAZ guaranteed native support for Unity, so I believed them, and haven't had TOO much trouble yet, but we'll see.

Of course, I always have Blender 2.58a on the side as a precaution, in case something doesn't work well under Carrara, but I doubt that would be a problem.

14. Posts
    I use Max 2011, Photoshop, After Effects (for certain things like 2D fire effects eg), Audacity and of course Unity . Nice to see someone who also uses Poser. Although I do find the interface a tad clunky, the sheer diversity of the characters you can create and the huge variety of quality assets you can obtain at a decent price from the Daz3D site, make it a really worthwhile tool and I think it's underrated.

Wedgebob, how do you find Daz3D to use? I downloaded the basic framework from the site but haven't got around to using it yet, largely because (as far as I'm aware), there is no decent plug-in for export into Max and, despite being slightly unstable, PoserFusion handles that job for me nicely. I've not actually tried anything with Poser and Unity yet because of the huge polycounts on characters, but how does Daz work for you?

15. Location
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i can imagine the videogame production is really expensive since we must to buy a good computer, (better if a mac?), then softwares are really expensives,.. well friends.. i have a simple notebook and all my soft are free, ... and if unity becomes available for linux.. i can get ubuntu again on my machine hehe;D

so, my game production cost is only US$ 400 how is it ?
    Hi..

16. Location
    Sacramento, CA
    You don't need that good a computer these days, though it does help for baking advanced lighting solutions. I have a 6 year old Mobo, 5 year old CPU, 4 year old GPU and Audio card. Most expensive parts are probably the fancy case and bluetooth keyboard and mouse lol.

I Use 3ds Max 32 bit
    Photoshop CS5 32 bit with Wacom Intuos2
    Win7 Ultimate 32bit
    Unity 3
    Ofusion Pro for Ogre3d (Commercial Exporter)
    OgreMax (Commercial Exporter)

17. Location
    Massachusetts
    I "have" a lot of software.
    However, what I've come to actually use is pretty limited for 99% of what I'm actually working on.

Unity 3 with just the built in Mono Editor and so far just Strumpy Shader Editor as the only plugin I've used more than just to test it out. I may add the blender metamorph plugin to this soon.
    Adobe Photoshop for simple drawings and concepts and "maybe" some texturing or a fix here and there.
    Adobe Illustrator if I feel I need 2D orthographic references to model something.
    Blender for modeling, texturing, rigging, animating and export.
    ZBrush if I need special alphas, or for high resolution sculpting (this doesn't happen much for what I'm actually working on, but I do like to go in and create something now and then, mostly for fun).
    Xcode to dump to the iPhone.

I haven't decided what I'm doing for sound quite yet, the choices are:
    Use royalty free.
    Pay someone.
    Cobble something together in Garageband on my Mac.
    I'll probably end up with a combination of all three.

Realistically I could get by with just Blender, Unity, XCode, and royalty free music online, but the other stuff adds some convenience.

18. Location
    Germany
    Photoshop CS5 64Bit
    Unity 3.3 Free Version
    Cinema4D R12 Visualize
    ZBrush 4
    Topogun

Sometimes:
    Blender
    Illustrator

I have a few more but I don't use them on a real regular basis. Those are my main tools of trade. The rest is either open source, old or bundeled software.

19. Location
    New York, USA
    Unity 3.4
    audacity
    Blender
    Paint.NET

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast