Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Amplify - Virtual Texturing for Unity Pro, RELEASED! Starting at $99

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Diogo-Teixeira, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Yay, back to work now ! :)

2. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hehe, I'm on it ;)

3. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

You only have 3% left before i need VLI! be careful! that's barely a year or two!!!

4. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

3%?? no rush then, hehe ;)

5. blackant

blackant

hi,

i'm not sure to understand what your plugin is made for ...

if i understand well, it allow insertion and use of mega texture in 512 000 pixels size ?

6. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It allows of not having to optimize for texture size mostly, basically just use the textures you need (lots of 1K textures for example) amplify will bake them in a single large texture, and whenever an amplify object is in view amplify will try to stream the texture at the appropriate quality. This means you don't need to reuse textures or do other such things and can simply forget about "memory limits", things are streamed on demand, not kept in video memory nor ram unless it makes sense.
    That it also allows using very large single textures is a bonus (like you can use 16K textures as is while unity only supports 4K) but the main goal is to just forget about a "texture size budget" and to texture as you wish, with amplify managing the large texture and streaming it appropriately for you.

7. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

blackant, graphic cards have a memory limitation to reproduce textured meshes.
    This technology is something like what John Carmack built for RAGE, where artists can load tons of gigabites of textures on the GPU without breaking the system.

8. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

What Bruno and Ronan said. Virtual texturing enables some very important features:
    1. Unified texture streaming with zero loading times
    2. Higher fidelity texturing using less video memory; it is optimized for what you actually see, so less waste
    3. Unlimited number of textures because everything is kept on the hard drive
    4. No texture size limits; it's a big texture (512K) made of smaller ones of any size (e.g. 1K, 32K, 128K)
    Below is a short video showing one of the first sparse virtual texturing implementations, from 2004. I usually show it to anyone trying to understand how virtual texturing works:

Simply put: we keep the very large baked texture (aka "virtual texture") on the hard drive, which can be hundreds of GB large, and only stream the pieces that you actually see. You choose the size of your "cache" and Amplify will make the data fit by adjusting quality to the available space.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  9. blackant

blackant

ho yeah, i understand, this is an amazing stuff !

people that programming like you make me hallucinate ! lol
    where did you find your brain, and ideas ? i want the same !

10. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Thanks man. The ideas are out there, you just need to make them happen. Find your mountain.

11. Karin_Crash

Karin_Crash

Hi. I'm interested in buying Amplify for my project, but it seems like all the links to the asset store are dead, any idea when it will be up to buy again?

12. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi Kyo,

I'm currently moving all my IP to a new company. Amplify will no longer be available at the Asset Store. Instead, it will be available for licensing through our website.

I will keep posting updates as they happen.

Cheers

13. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

But removing it from the store means removing it for existing customers (can't update anymore).
    Did you receive my emails?

14. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

The last version I deployed to the Asset Store should be available for customers that purchased it. Otherwise, they you should complain to the Asset Store reps about it.

I was AFK for about a week and I'm still going through all the emails.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Aye it still is, i mean you won't be able to push updates to it anymore etc, so this means the product is dead since you can't update it (it's not just not for sale anymore).

16. qinghua.tien

qinghua.tien

it's not for sale ??? why ?so nice work Unfortunately

17. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Amplify should be available for purchase again at our new website (to be announced) next week. We'll try to do a better job at selling it so that development can continue.

18. techmage

techmage

if you got an iOS solution, the thing would of sold like hotcakes. I know thats all I was waiting for with it...

19. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi everyone,

If your game uses Amplify Virtual Texturing, we'd love to showcase it!

As you may know, development on this product has been intermittent. In the meantime, we always did our best to provide high quality support to all customers. Today, we're looking to gather your support in order to be able to improve current products and fund incredibly useful and exciting new products.

We are currently looking for games that use Amplify in order to showcase them at our website. In return for a bit of cross-promotion, we're ready to provide special conditions for the purchase of other products in our store, such as Color3 Advanced Grading and Easyflow Motion Blur.

Please have a look here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/19...case-(formerly-known-as-Insidious-Technology)

Or, get in touch directly:
    info@amplify.pt

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Dear customers and enthusiasts, if you have any problems accessing updates or product packs, contact us directly at info@amplify.pt

21. OneWayRoad

OneWayRoad

can we use our own custom shader for this to work?

22. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Yes. You can modify any shader to work with Amplify Texture.

You can find more information in the "How To Convert Your Own Shaders" section of our Online Manual:
    http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture/manual

23. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Hi Diogo

I purchased this product last week and it looks great. I have one issue however:

If I start a new project and apply the plugin to a model, it works fine. However, if I open one of my existing projects, import the plugin and apply it to an existing model, it only displays the texture at a very low settings - 64 x 64.

It still goes through the process of building the texture so it appears to work until the texture never loads in and sharpens - just stays at the low resolution. I know that it is the virtual texture that is being loaded because I can change the texture import max size settings from 64 to 4096 and it doesn't affect the texture in the viewport... so it must be loading the virtual texture.

I've followed the tutorial exactly, is there anything else that I may be missing ie - any known bugs with certain things, or settings that might interfere with the plugin?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  24. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Thank you for supporting the development Amplify Texture 2!

When textures remain at low resolution, the problem is usually related to two main causes:

1) Your objects are in a specific layer and, by default, AT Manager is only set to recognize the "Default" layer. You'll need to add any custom layers to the AT Manager's culling mask.

2) Your objects are behind a transparent surface. In this case you'll have to move them to a specific "Transparent" layer so they can be ignored by AT, otherwise they will block page detection in valid opaque surfaces. Transparent surfaces cannot be virtualized, at the moment.

This part is covered in the manual in the part that refers to Transparent Surfaces.

Sorry for any inconvenience. Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  25. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

This absolutely worked, and my fault for not reading up on the culling layers. Thanks!

26. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Great Project.

Does this work on Mobile?

Cheers.

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello Rocki,

This thread is not up to date, it refers to an older version of our Virtual Texturing solution.

Visit the new thread here: Unity Forum Thread

The upcoming version of Amplify Texture (formerly known as Amplify - Virtual Texturing for Unity Pro) will support mobile devices and is available for pre-order in our website.

Amplify Texture 2 Pre Order

Amplify Texture Product Page

Amplify Texture Overview