Unity Community

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

1. Location
    PT
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishRenegade
    Is 2.xx still planned to break 1.xx workflow and force the buyer to redo the work?
    I'm glad you're asking that question. After doing a bit of research this week we found out that our original plan, which required overriding/boxing of Unity Material, apparently isn't possible under the current API. As such we have no choice but to resort to transparent run-time patching and keep the current level of redundancy in the builds. That said, we'll have to keep the same 1.xx workflow in 2.xx.

Lightmap support might be added for 2.xx, however there are no problems using Amplify with lightmapped objects. Is this correct? (lightmap just won't be streamed...)
    We might add support for regular RGB lightmaps only, not the RNM/Directional kind. But yes, lightmaps are supported, they just won't be virtualized/streamed.

Are additive scenes supported?
    Indeed, they are. We provide support for project-wide virtual textures to share all texture data between all your scenes. One of our customers is already using this feature successfully on a open world style game.

Any news on the massive number of material support? (we currently have > 1500 and growing...)
    It is usable right now even for 3000 materials but there might be some noticeable lag in the editor and high CPU usage. We are absolutely determined to fix all the scalability issues and will do so in time for 2.xx.

Asset bundles... created with BuildStreamedSceneAssetBundle(), can Amplify work with those?
    Do you mean bundling the virtual texture? Or be able to virtualize bundled assets. No to the former but yes to the latter.

At the moment we can't bundle virtual textures but we are trying to find an effective way to do it.

Cheers
    Research & Development at Amplify Creations

There have been some advances to capabilities mobile devices - any updates on whether this would be available for mobile?

3. Location
    London
    Just before I purchase this can you tell me if it will suit my purposes please.
    I have a grid of simple planes, each with a unique texture on it. These are time slices and each plane represents a moment in time. For most part the planes are inactive and are turned on a few at a time. However, if all of them are to be turned on at the same time then there would be around 50 planes. If for each of the 50 there is an Amplify texture, would the game grind to a halt? Would I be able to add 1k, 2k textures onto each plane? As the planes occlude one another does it make a difference? If I change the opacity on the material making the planes semitransparent, will I be able to see a kind of time-lapse/onion-skinning effect at high resolution, seeing the successive images through the planes?
    Sorry if this doesn't all make sense. But before I purchase I would like to know Amplify will work for what I need.

Thank you

4. Posts
    This is indeed a fascinating product.

I have one technical question.
    The optimized virtual texture is stored in standalone build data. But what happens with original texture bitmaps that were used to make materials?
    Are they also inside the built package? Because that would duplicate deployed data that is already quite large.
    Or did I misunderstood something?

5. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
    This is indeed a fascinating product.

I have one technical question.
    The optimized virtual texture is stored in standalone build data. But what happens with original texture bitmaps that were used to make materials?
    Are they also inside the built package? Because that would duplicate deployed data that is already quite large.
    Or did I misunderstood something?
    Amplify ignores Unity cache, it is using directly the texture (Unity has limit 4096*4096, so Amplify cant go through Unity). During material conversion (unity2amplify) amplify rescales texture in Unity cache to 64*64 (to not waste space, because Unity needs this cache, you cant delete it) and builds VT from original (in its native resolution). Original stays of course unmodified.

6. Posts
    Thank you for your answer.

7. Location
    PT
    Wakey, what Demostenes said and I just wanted to add that these useless 64*64 textures are also compressed to waste less space. We might switch to 32*32 in the future since some of our clients are using a large amount of textures, even beyond what we had originally imagined. Using 1500 textures will waste no more than 6 MB and less than 2 MB once we scale down.

8. Location
    Germany
    Hi,

This feature in 3.5 should come in quiet handy for Amplify, doesn´t it?

More low level rendering possibilities from native code Plugins:
    > Ability to access Direct3D 9 device pointer.
    Link

Does this allow the low level texture access you ever wanted?

Greetings,
    xad
    Last edited by xadhoom; 01-02-2012 at 05:34 AM.

9. Location
    PT
    xadhoom, indeed it should. Too bad it's platform specific. Nonetheless, we'll be looking into it soon.

10. Posts
    Hey, have you had a chance to look at what 3.5 might improve in terms of texture loading time?
    I can't clearly see how accessing the dx9 device pointer would help loading textures into unity differently...

I have similar issues on a project where i load lots of textures at runtime, using Texture2D.LoadImage(), then Texture2D.Compress, and I clearly see that about half is spent on Compress. Right now this is inefficient when loading textures of say 512x512 size.

Did you find new ways to load texture faster with 3.5, not using LoadImage method? I didn't...

11. Location
    Orlando, Fl
    You wrote you wont be supporting directional lightmaps... thats really bad. Just saying.

12. Posts
    Hello, I tried to build a project with Unity 3.5 version, but the Amplify/Build doesn't create the Amplify folder with the texture inside the build folders. If I build with Unity 3.4.2 all works correctly.

The plugin works ok in the editor in 3.5, the problem is just the build.
    I use the free version of Amplify.

Any suggestion? Anyone have problems with build in Unity 3.5?

Joel

13. Posts
    Hi,

I need to enable and disable several cameras in my project, but when I enable the camera then the "camera_PrePass" is deleted and the plugin doesn't work any more.

Is there a way to enable/disable the cameras and keep the plugin still running?

Joel

14. Location
    Germany
    Is this project still alive? :-/

15. Location
    PT
    Sorry for the delay guys. Unfortunately, we had to work on other projects during this long absense, in order to make ends meet.

This project is still alive, however. I'm almost finished with support for 3.5 and will release it before the end of May. It will feature several performance improvements and support for linear space rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by unisip
    Hey, have you had a chance to look at what 3.5 might improve in terms of texture loading time?
    I can't clearly see how accessing the dx9 device pointer would help loading textures into unity differently...

I have similar issues on a project where i load lots of textures at runtime, using Texture2D.LoadImage(), then Texture2D.Compress, and I clearly see that about half is spent on Compress. Right now this is inefficient when loading textures of say 512x512 size.

Did you find new ways to load texture faster with 3.5, not using LoadImage method? I didn't...
    I decided not to go the dx9 route, for now. Our main bottleneck at the moment is caused by Unity's asset editor pipeline. Also, I do not use LoadImage or Compress. We upload uncompressed texture data using SetPixels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurylo3d
    You wrote you wont be supporting directional lightmaps... thats really bad. Just saying.
    I don't recall writing this. Directional lightmaps are now supported in 3.5 and work seamlessly with Amplify, just like regular lightmaps were supported in previous versions. What we can't do is virtualize those lightmaps, because it's too much data to stream in.

Quote Originally Posted by jsr2k1
    Hello, I tried to build a project with Unity 3.5 version, but the Amplify/Build doesn't create the Amplify folder with the texture inside the build folders. If I build with Unity 3.4.2 all works correctly.

The plugin works ok in the editor in 3.5, the problem is just the build.
    I use the free version of Amplify.

Any suggestion? Anyone have problems with build in Unity 3.5?
    Amplify doesn't fully support 3.5 yet. Please wait until the end of May for a compatible version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by jsr2k1
    I need to enable and disable several cameras in my project, but when I enable the camera then the "camera_PrePass" is deleted and the plugin doesn't work any more.

Is there a way to enable/disable the cameras and keep the plugin still running?
    Maybe. I'll have to do some testing, but won't be able to before June :\

Quote Originally Posted by xadhoom
    Is this project still alive? :-/
    Yes, just a bit slow because we had to move on to other stuff. We haven't given up on Amplify just yet

16. Location
    Germany
    I´m happy to hear that and looking forward to the upcoming release

17. Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Can Amplify create, or deal with virtual textures created on the fly, ala. http://publications.dice.se/attachme...ttlefield3.pdf

18. Location
    PT
    duke, no. It would require a completely fundamentally different approach.

19. Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Does Amplify fully support 3.5 yet? It is nearly end of May.... Sorry to nag but I need to do a tech test for a client. But if need be I'll drop back to an older version of Unity.

20. Location
    PT
    thylaxene, I'm almost done. Been really busy working on completely unrelated stuff. Now I just need to do a larger scale test and should have it uploaded either today or tomorrow to: http://insidious.pt/#amplify-latest

In the meantime, we've halted sales and are preparing for a relaunch on the asset store.
    Last edited by Diogo Teixeira; 05-25-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast