Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

question about selling collectable figures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wiseowlstudios, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

what sort of price would people pay for collectible figures like this
    $tmpmMbkia.png
    (6.9cm x 3cm x 1.8 cm) and would people be OK with paying about £25-30 + cheapest post and packing possible (that is decent) for the model shown

each figure would also get a free in game item

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. ivanzu

ivanzu

I wouldnt pay for that 30£.

3. Pedro Afonso

Pedro Afonso

for one image, the max cost would be 1$ and it's very expensive

4. carking1996

carking1996

No, he said figure, not an image ?

5. Zoe

Zoe

Look up prices for Warhammer figures, they might give you an idea what would be a fair price. However, it also depends on the material the figurine is made of and if they're going to be painted or not.

6. JRavey

JRavey

That Warhammer is a popular and well made game contributes to their market value.

7. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

it would be solid plastic and i was asking as at that size the people want £20 for it to be made

8. JRavey

JRavey

Solid plastic? Wowee.

Honestly, a couple of bucks at most. What would I do with it? It would sit on my desk until one day I think to myself, "Why the hell did I buy that?"

9. Zoe

Zoe

Ultimate chess!

10. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

if i could get collectables printed that small would people buy them for like 6-20+ post (depending on size paint ect)

11. Ntero

Ntero

I personally consider that it would be not a sale for me the price seems too high personally.

You could see if you can get a better price for a larger batch purchase. I'd think the mold is the majority of their cost (the rest is just a basic plastic probably costing < pennies in materials). That quote from them seems extraordinarily high.

See if you can either get a better deal for a high up front cost, cheaper cost per item, or a bulk deal, or look somewhere else.

Think of the cost of those old plastic toy soldiers to get a better range of cost of materials. If you can get a mold separately you should be able to drop the cost per item dramatically.

12. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

the only other option is i try raise the 500-1000 for a 3d plastic printer and make them myself and they only do 5,10,20% off if bulk so the price still might be quite high for larger models

13. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

I can get the model made alot cheaper as tiny version 4.1cm x 1.1 x 1.8 white plastic cost to me (min 5) £5.12 each + postage

cost to you would be about £7+postage but as i get more or do sets ect the prices will go down

14. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

With respect, I think you're completely missing the point. The price is not the issue. The issue is that your collectables are not collectable. Collectables relate to some kind of popular (and hence valuable) IP. A model of a gun which isn't tied to any particular IP simply isn't going to have much appeal. You need some kind of IP (which you either own or buy a license for) to tie in with your figures or they're just not collectable.

15. JRavey

JRavey

Frankly, this idea pretty bad. I guess it's some way of trying to make money for something? Perhaps fund development? Focus on your core competency to attract talent and capital instead.

16. dr.steam

dr.steam

Buy a sniper rifle and put it on your mantelpiece, charming! haha.

17. techmage

techmage

I'm working on a racing game and one of my ideas was to have highly customizable vehicles that you build up with various parts, and then set it up so you could have the game output a 3D model of your vehicle that would pipe into shapeways.com then the person could 3D print their vehicle they constructed to have on their desk or whatever...

I think things like this could be valuable for games like that where the user builds something in the game.... but to just stamp out a bunch of generic gun models in plastic to sell? I dont think thatd do too well unless your intellectual property is really famous, like Star Wars or something... or maybe a bunch of mini plastic portal guns from Portal would sell... You gotta keep in mind that when selling action figures, generally people don't like the figures just for the sake of the figure, but rather it reminds them of what the figure is from. So in that context I'd worry more about making a game that first has a substantial fan base before I'd even consider making plastic models from the game.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.