Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Copyright

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by vertgreenheart, Jul 8, 2011.

1. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

hi, i'm just want to ask something very important to me

I'm going to make Spyro HD, using unity. am i get copyright infringement ? also, i'm using my own models, and scripts.
    i'm just make Spyro can play in PC and with shader facilities. i wont credits my name.
    i'm just use their story, all models, scripts i made it myself

please... :(
    thanks for the answer

2. c-Row

c-Row

I guess this depends on how similar those games would be to each other. If all you lend from the original is the story you should be on the safe side - story and gameplay elements aren't copyrighted (otherwise there wouldn't have been other fps games beyond Wolfenstein 3D).

However, if you already go down the long road of creating your own models, scripts and assets, why don't you invest a little more time and come up with a unique story as well? :)

3. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Does it look like spryo?
    IS the game called Spyro HD
    Do you use the same names for things?

If you answered yes then yes, you will get in some trouble.

4. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

huh... well.... i went to unity answer and they said "Arguably yes. The general rule of thumb is don't make clones. Make games that are similar not identical." ~Lab013 . well... are you sure, i wont get copyright infringement ?
    i am going to make the models and scripts. (actually i'm still gathering all scripts i need)
    i hope i wont get copyright infringement.
    thanks for your answer :)

5. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

umm.. actually yes. i'm just convert the "Spyro 3 : year of the dragon" because it's only can play in PS1 (also on PC (using emulator)) but it's kinda bad graphic.

Does it look like spryo? Yeah. but it's a bit different
    IS the game called Spyro HD? yeah
    Do you use the same names for things? no not real

6. synapsemassage

synapsemassage

The way you describe it it's copyright infringement! It doesn't matter if you did the models or scripts. If the game looks like spyro or people will immediatly associate your game with spyro, it's very likely you will get problems.

7. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Looks like it only a "little different" and is called Spyro. Yes - copyright infringement.

Your best guess would be to ask the DEVELOPERS not some people on a forum. You won't get proper legal advice on 99,9% of all the forums. Even if you get someone here to give you absolution to doing this. It won't change that it most cetainly still violation copyright laws.

Sorry to say that but if you are going to recreate something with a big brand name you are wasting your time and efort. Most of these projects get shut down because they didn't ask permission from the publisher, creator or whoever holds the rights.

8. Chub

Chub

Like motionblur said if you call the actual game you are making Spyro then that would be a copyright infringement although you could come up with a new unique name and have a new storyline. As you are calling it Spyro HD are you saying you are developing it for the iPhone/iPad?

9. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

no, it's for pc

10. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

When I was first starting out in Unity I wanted to make a Spyro clone because it's just one out of many of my favorite games. I started and then stopped working on it but I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting Spyro on PC. By the way, I think for the title you should call it Oryps (Spyro backwards), maybe make his color the opposite of purple (not sure what that is at the moment; yellow?). Anyways, good luck with the project ;)

11. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

i have an idea to make a games looks a bit similar with spyro. it's name "Magical Dragon". with a different characters, storyline. i hope i wont get copyright infringement. thanks for your advice

12. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

i have an idea to make a games looks a bit similar with spyro. it's name "Magical Dragon". with a different characters, storyline. i hope i wont get copyright infringement. thanks for your advice