Search Unity

Free Voxel Terrain, Marching Cubes

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by icepick912, Jul 8, 2011.

1. icepick912

icepick912

A voxel terrain made from multiple height maps that are blended together. Can also generate caves, although they are extremely expensive computationally. Its not highly unoptimized, it is completely unoptimized seeing as I made it on 2 of my days off from work. Play around with it if you like, anyone is free to use any part of this as you see fit. I would like to see what anyone comes up with. The marching cubes is from Paul Bourke's "Polygonising a scalar field" located Here. The unity package is in attachment.

I have been using unity for about a year and a half now, the first year I was without cable or internet, so I have become adept at isolation, thus this is my first post. Only posting it because i haven't seen a free marching cubes terrain implementations. Any feedback would be most appreciated, thanks.

//Edit: Thank you unity Developers!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

3. reissgrant

reissgrant

Awesome, thanks for sharing! :D

4. jasonkaler

jasonkaler

I haven't looked any deeper than your screenshots, so I hope my comments are not out of line.
    Some people have been discussing voxels here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/86750-Voxatron!!
    It may be interesting to you.

Your framerate is pretty low, I'm guessing because your polygon count is very high.
    If you intend on using this in a game, it will need some optimization.
    I'm curious to know if something like ROAM will help there. My first hit on google is:
    http://www.cognigraph.com/ROAM_homepage/ROAM2/
    and there he is getting 56 million triangles per second on his terrain on a radeon 9700 (in 2003).

5. windexglow

windexglow

^Not polycount (with modern graphic cards, poly count is becoming a smaller and smaller issue) but that 2240 batch count.
    Combine the meshes of that terrain together and you'll have fps in the hundreds, possibly thousands.

6. edeetee

edeetee

I am currently using your program to make a randomly generated area. I was wondering by what method I would change the Seed variable? Or if you have an easier method to change the generation.

Cheers.