Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Orthello 2D Framework - 100% FREE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mas, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mas

mas

'Orthello' the 100% Free 2D development Framework for Unity.
    Create your 2D games and applications using sprites, sprite sheets and animations.

For FREE.....

Some functionality of the framework:

• Simple Image Sprites, Animating Sprites, 9Scaled Sprites, Gradient Sprites, Filled (patern) Sprites and Bitmap Text Sprites.
    • Prefab oriented workflow by drag-n-dropping Orthello objects (like sprites, sprite containers and animations into your scene.
    • Full pivot point control.
    • Multi Resolution Support
    • Easy 2D sound Support
    • Orthographic view (camera) control : zooming, auto pixel-perfect or auto scale, follow target (move/rotate).
    • Animation collections that can span multiple sprite containers (sheets/atlasses)
    • Texturepacker atlas integration (cocos2D, Ogre, sparrow atlas import)
    • Internal tweening engine with many easing functions.
    • Static Orthello helper object (class OT) with functionality to create, find and destroy Orthello objects at run time.
    • Object prototype and pool pre-fabrication support including auto object pooling.
    • Extendible cached material system that uses auto sprite batching.
    • Many C# and JS Javascript working examples with extensive inline code documentation for learning purposes.
    • Side view/Top down/3D UI world modes

| DOWNLOAD and online demo | asset store | C# Class Reference | Online User Guide |

Orthello Pro has , in addition to all 2D framework functionality of the 100% Free core ,
    just a little more for a few pence - $35

| BUY and online demo |

Supported functionality :

| User Guide | C# Class reference | Online Demo |

This product can only be aquired through www.wyrmtale.com ( using PayPal checkout )

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. kerters

kerters

Wow, thats awesome! =)

3. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Wow, that's a heck of a package! Nice job :)

4. iisjreg

iisjreg

Wow again, will try it out.

5. mas

mas

Thanks for the positive reactions.

6. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Working nicely, but ... i have a request.
    Is it possible that the Value of the Sheet Size in the OTSprithe Sheet script automatic get the size of the texture that is linked to it?

7. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

HI, great stuff.
    Any issue when developing for iOS with this new great tool?

8. mas

mas

This would not be advisable and I will explain why...

Most of the time you won't need these settings because your frames will fill up your texture seamingsly and you will only need to set the framesXY ( columns/rows ).

The sheet size, always in combination with frame size is used to calculate the correct texture scale and frame offsetting when a texture has some left-over space to the right or bottom side.

The best way to do this is to provide the original texture size and original frame size - that you should know when creating your art - because if you don't it can become kinda difficult to determine the right frame size related to a default Unity3D texture size.

For example .. if you would create a texture of size 1200 x 550 with frames of size 75 x 75, Unity would probably give you a texture of 1024 x 512 (depending of your max setting)

What would be the correct (textur-size related) frame size in this case ...mmm.. get your calculator!

regards,

9. mas

mas

I have tested all examples on win, web and mac .. did not on my iPad or iPhone yet ..

mmm... have to update my provisioning ... AGAIN!! thx apple!!

I can not think of anything that would prohibit it working on iOS. Maybe the shaders but you could change them or expand the material references with specific mobile ones.

Draw calls could be a problem but that is a main iOS thing.. Sprite batching will be released in a future pro version to reduce draw calls.

I will test the examples soon and will report my experiences ..

UPDATE

Demo - as seen online on Orthello wyrmtale page - works on my iPad. Some examples have a slow framerate, probably because of the shaders, fill rate and number of draw calls. If you are going to use Orthello on iPad1 ( I dont have an IPad 2 yet so did not test ), code works but you should optimize.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  10. mas

mas

11. mas

mas

Version 1.2 released

- Bug fixes
    - Added material cache to support auto (dynamic) batching.
    generating a significant performance boost on iOS devices.

Any sprite that looks the same by - image, color, alpha, sprite container / frame combi when animating, will get batched increasing performance.

**PRO version , expected next month will support SpriteBatch Object to further batch sprites by autogenerating mesh and UV mapping animations. Sprites will still be able to move(using bones/skinned mesh) and animate when under control of the SpriteBatch object (that will auto re-create while detect sprite state changes)

12. hima

hima

Thank you so much! I'm considering making an opensource project but if I use SpriteManager2 then I cannot do that. Since performance isn't a concern right now, I'll be using this instead ^ ^

13. mas

mas

I am glad that you will use Orthello on your project. The current (1.2b) version uses dynamic batching and has a pretty good performance on most devices (even on iOS)

I am very interested what your experiences are regarding Orthello and how you project works out.

regards,

14. MilkTarts

MilkTarts

Hey, thanks guys for making this awesome package I've been literally searching all over the place for 2D sprite packages...however I have 2 questions...

1.I followed your guide on how to make the animations, I (believe) did everything right, I can see the sprite in the preview and demo scene, but when I press play, the animation doesn't play...I scrolled through using the frame settings and I can see the frames playing when scrolled through.(Not pressing the play button)

2. Is it possible to use 3D objects with this? I tried using a plane underneath the sprite, but I don't see it in the demo/play test scene? And/ Or can I set it to default camera? I tried changing it to perspective, but it switches right to Orthographic view. I'm trying to achieve a 2.5D-esque look, using 2D sprites in a 3D world.

Once again, thanks for this guys. :cool:

15. mas

mas

Make sure you got the latest version of the package downloaded. ( we are at version 1.2b atmo ). There were some bugs solved regarding playing animations.

When you use the 'Animation Preview' setting of the AnimatingSprite Object - you can drag the value in the editor left to right - does the animation play in your scene?

- If it does, make sure you have the 'PlayOnStart'setting checked and than it should play automaticly on start.

- If it doesn't, you probably have not setup your animation's framesets correctly. There has to be at least one frameset in your animation object. That frameset has to have an assigned container and a start and end frame configured.

Orthello only works with an Orthographic camera. This is controlled by the system so setting it to perspective will be auto-changed back to orthographic. Orthello is just for creating 2D not for 2.5D.

16. deadfire52

deadfire52

Hey mas, thanks for the great release, SM2 has been giving me some problems so I'm going to try this out.

I'm trying to use JS to program and from what is written on the site everything from the Orthello/Standard Assets should go into my regular Standard Assets folder and then once I remove the /* */ from the JS codes the example should work just fine but I get missing Mono Scripts and Null reference errors

Pic of my Standard Assets setup and Missing Mono Script:

17. mas

mas

I do not really get it how you got to loose the references.

Did you import Orthello using the asset store or import the www.wyrmtale.com downloaded package (GOOD) ?

or

Did you copy and paste it from another project into your 'colorwars' project using the explorer (BAD) ? ( as copy and pasting without import can sometimes generate missing references )

I just checked the project and had no problems on my windows unity pro.
    I took the following steps (maybe you can do the same and see how that goes)

- Created a new (and empty) project.
    - Imported Orthello (1.2b) from the asset store
    - Open JSExample3.unity

Monoscripts are there (linked) and when you run it now the 3 asteroids on screen start animating.
    Nothing else happens, because that is in JS code ( still commented )

- Dragged the Orthello/Standard Assets to the / (root)
    or another test that worked as well
    Create a new root folder /Standard Assets and copy the Orthello/Standard Assets/*.* into the new /Standard Assets folder.

- uncomment - remove the /* and */ in JSAsteroid3, JSBullet3 and JSExample3.
    - run scene
    - try to shoot 'm all!!!

Let me know if this works for you..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  18. deadfire52

deadfire52

Thanks, the problem was that I had copied the Standard Assets onto my desktop and then put it into the Root folder. Working great,now!

19. mas

mas

GREAT!

Let me know how you progress with your game. Always interested in games/apps that are created with 'Orthello Inside'
    ;)

20. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Wow, looks awesome! I'll defiantly have to check this out, thanks!

21. LimeSplice

LimeSplice

Hi,

So curious as to why i would use Orthello over SM2?

TYVM!

22. mas

mas

I created ( and expanding atmo) Orthello for a project I am working on, to have a 2D development framework so I can quickly create 2D applications and games.

SpriteManager2 is a very robust and flexible way of creating 2D sprites within a 3D enviroment ( perspective camera support ) in Unity3D, but was not really fitting my needs because of this flexibility. Many things you can do with SpriteManager2 I do not want to use in my Orthographic apps/games so by dropping the more complex stuff Orthello is a simple solution only focused on Orthographic 2D projection.

Because of the flexibility, SM2 gives you lots of configurable options, and Orthello wants to keep it simple. Therefore the main approach is to drag and drop Orthello prefabs (sprites) into the scene, instead of adding script files to empty objects as components. Pixel perfect (camera) control, for example, is totaly automatic, so less flexible but fitting 2D Orthographic needs.

SM2 focus is just on the sprite objects (and animations) where Orthello is a 2D development framework with auto Camera/view control, material caching and object pooling.

Additional products will be released in the future that will complement the 2D development process. You can think about things like Orthello GUI elements, Movement controllers like splined movement paths ( working on that now for the PRO version ), Orthello Physics classes, Tile support and ... well .. anything that is requested and where users really can benefit from.

and most of all ...

The code base ( to get you started ) is 100% Free.

regards,

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  23. Drakmir

Drakmir

I've been working on a small project to learn Unity and Orthello. One of the small issues I had with Orthello was that the images all had to be the same size in a spirte sheet and that I had to know the physical frame number for each image to build animations.

I wanted to use Texture Packer to build my sprite sheet, and with the limitations above, I'd be looking at having multiple sprite sheets for my actors and also the limitation of having to put the images in a specific order.

Texture Packer could do both (change Trim to false, and sort order to be by "name"), but it seemed like I was gimping the tool and not letting it make good decisions about how to structure my sprite sheet.

So, I began writing an extension to Orthello to overcome these issues. Using the "Sparrow" XML data format, I built a unity package that would read that and be an OTContainer for the frames and build the animations dynamically from the filenames. Finally, I added a SparrowResizeSprite which manipulates the OTSprite object to both make it the proper size and position it correctly. The only disadvantage is that your logical game object should not have the OTSprite anymore. Instead, a child object should be created so that it is positioned relative to your real game object.

I figured that others might be interested in this unity package and figured that it might be good to post it here.

Read more about my use of the Orthello package here.
    Read the post with the links to the package / zip file here.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  24. mas

mas

Hi Drakmir,

Great that you are working and 'learning' Orthello.

I know that the OTSpriteSheet is basic and has no advanced Atlas features. The PRO version that I am working now Atmo, will support the 'easy' generation of spritesheets (and OTAnimation + OTAnimatingSprite) and also TexturePacker like functionality (trimming etc) through the OTSpriteAtlas object. ( also with a generation tool )

An OTSpriteAtlas will be able to hold images of different sizes.

Maybe it would be a good thing that I put the OTSpriteAtlas into the FREE version and just the 'Generation Tool' (taxture packer) into the PRO.

If you dont mind , I would like to check your code and change/integrate it with the FREE core to support OTSpriteAtlas combined with TexturePacker. ( your code will light my way )

I will then also make sure that the OTSprite and OTAnimating sprite will work correctly with the OTSpriteAtlas displaying the images or rendering the animation.

regards,

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  25. Drakmir

Drakmir

Hi Martijn,

Not a problem in the least. Feel free to take my code and do whatever you'd like to do with it. Unlike you, I have a very specific project in mind and am not really looking to release a generic tool set. Therefore, I wouldn't consider my code "robust" at this point. If my code can help in any way, I'm happy to assist.

Drakmir

26. mas

mas

Will Do!
    Thanks.

27. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

I have problems to get the OTSprite + physics + collision.

To use the Gravity i have to deactivate the OTSprite.
    The problem is: the sprite ignores all Collision.

28. mas

mas

At this time there is no Physics support in the Orthello Free edition. This because the 'normal' sprite is handling the existance of the collider that is used for Orthello's basic collision detection and that is always a trigger.

I am working on a 'commercial' Orthello Physics product that will provide some classes and easy setup methods to implement 2D physics in your game/application.

I am planning to put some base physics logic, like setting up the sprite to be a rigidBody, and collider not being a trigger, into the 100% Free base OTSprite class, so anyone could use a OTSprite as a rigid body... but will write additional physics code to control behaviour themselves.

Expect an update sometime the next few weeks.

29. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Nice the here about the near update, but it there a way to do this quick and dirty?
    Just need to have it fall down by gravity and die on collision.

30. mas

mas

No .. there is no quick and dirty solution other than diving in the OTObject code.

I am in testing phase now, and creating/adding a physics example to the base 100% FREE core..

if you are interested in this Beta, send me a mail at info at wyrmtale dot com and
    I make sure you get the package.

regards,

31. appleunited

appleunited

Does it support drag and drop event of the sprite?

32. mas

mas

The Sprite is just a normal GameObject with a script attached so normal UNITY3D drag and drop events
    should work.

I will test it right away .....

UPDATE

I implemented the following into the 100% FREE base core.
    (in OTObject so all sprite classes support this )

- draggable editor setting to make a OTSprite draggable

- the following ObjectDelegate events will be fired:
    * onDragStart
    * onDragEnd
    dropTarget prop will contain OTSprite (that has registerInput set to true) that is dropped upon
    * onReceiveDrop
    dropTarget prop will contain OTSprite that has been dropped on it.

This functionality will be released in the 1.4 version that will be submitted very soon.
    If you would like to test the BETA sooner, contact me through www.wyrmtale.com

UPDATE - 2

I just implemented a OTObject.worldBounds (RECT) that you can set to impose movement restriction for your sprites. This works great in combination with the 'auto' drag functionality.

With this, you set a specific world rectangle for your 'draggable' sprite and when dragging your sprite , it will always stay within this boundary.

regards,

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  33. mas

mas

Version 1.4 was submitted to the assetStore.

Release notes :

- Minor bug fixes.
    - OTAnimatingSprite technique texture offsetting changed to dynamic uv mapping to further
    reduce drawcalls, increasing dynamic batching and improving performance.
    - Added WorldBounds to OT.view and OTObjects to impose movement restrictions of sprites
    and the view/camera
    - Added Drag and Drop support for sprites
    - Added OTObject.physics setting to quickly setup base 2D physics
    - Added Example 6 - Physics

You can download the 1.4 version using http://www.wyrmtale.com/orthello as well.

34. mas

mas

IRC

You can find us, mostly during business days CET - europe, on ircs://freenode/orthello

ircs:// Link will work on FireFox with ChatZilla Addon installed.
    Otherwise use your favorite IRC client and join channel #orthello on freenode.net

35. appleunited

appleunited

Your support is amazing. I will give it a try right away.

36. appleunited

appleunited

One quick question. I noticed a drop in image quality after I assigned a texture to a sprite. Is it something to do with the shader used (currently set to Mobile/Particles/Alpha blended)?

37. mas

mas

I am not much of a shader specialist so I really do not know
    You could assign another shader to a custom created 'test' material reference and assign that to your sprite.

However .. texture import options could maybe improve things .. you could ..

- Turn off compression
    - Turn off MIPMapping
    - Turn off scaling
    ( or just set it into a GUI Texture - should give you the best image results )

Regards and GL

p.s. Let me know if you found a solution so I can put it in my knowledge base ( read Brain )

38. appleunited

appleunited

Is there a way to turn off physics, yet the object still responds to touch event?

39. mas

mas

When you just set registerInput to true and collidable to false, the Physics setting should automaticly be set to 'trigger' and you will only have a collider attached. This will enable you to capture input on a specific sprite by setting the onInput delegate for that sprite.

You can not do it wihout a collider because Orthello uses the Unity3D collider system (RayCasts) to find 'touched' components.

You can also try the bool OT.Touched(OTObject o) method, that will evaluate to true if a specific OTObject (sprite) was just touched.
    (registerInput should still be set to true though... )

I hope this gets you going .. if not .. describe what you are trying to achieve (stepwise) and what is not working so we can find a good solution for it.

40. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

EDIT: Figured it out - set the Filter Mode on the spritealtas .png to Point.

Hi, is there a way to get rid of the bleed from nearby textures on the atlas while still allowing sprites to tile seamlessly?

And here's the spritesheet I made with TexturePacker:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  41. mas

mas

At this time there is no other solution than setting image padding in texture packer to 1 so that textures are not exactly next to eachother but have a transparent pixel between them.

I think that this problem could somehow be solved with another shader perhaps but I did not make the time to dive into this.

P.s. Version 1.5 will be released next monday and will come with an OTSpriteAtlas, OTSpriteAtlasSparrow, OTSpriteAtlasOGRE annd OTSpriteAtlasCocos2D that will let you use/import multi-size images ( trimming and rotating supported ) Sprite Atlasses that were published using TexturePacker.

But still ... you need to have a 1 pixel margin between images.

EDIT: Aha .. just read your 'Figuration' ... I will test the Point filter myself...
    Tx for diving into this :)

... and for using Orthello ofc ...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  42. Zetsaika

Zetsaika

Does Orthello supports multiple resolutions?

43. mas

mas

Yes,

Using OT.view.alwaysPixelPerfect = true

You can set your app/game to be pixelperfect, resizing your app/game 'play' area depending on your resolution. a 100x100 pixel sprite will than always be 100x100 pixels on the destination device.

Using OT.view.alwaysPixelPerfect = false;
    And OT.view.pixelPerfectResolution = new Vector2(1024,768)

You set your game to be pixelPerfect on a device that has a resolution of 1024x768 and automaticly scale your view up/down on other resultions, so that your app/game's view will look the same (auto-scaling) on each device in-dependent of the resolution.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  44. mas

mas

Version 1.5 released.

Import OGRE, Sparrow or Cocos2D Atlasses right from TexturePacker

Image trimming ( Sparrow / Cocos2D ) and Image rotating ( Cocos2D ) is supported.

Just Drag an SpriteAtlas object into your scene, assign your texture, assign your datafile and youre done.

Check Info and online Demo here ...

45. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

46. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

@mas, I just downloaded v1.5 to try out the TexturePacker feature and I'm running into a few issues:

1. The default data file extension in TP when selecting "cocos2d" is .plist which your Atlas Data File slot doesn't accept. If I rename the data file (in TP) with a .xml extension and Publish again, then I can drag the .xml data file onto the Atlas Data File slot in the Inspector.

2. When you create a new sprite atlas that references a TP data file, you have to click the "Reload Data" checkbox in the Inspector to populate the Atlas Data. This should be mentioned in the docs.

3. After setting up your container and animation, when you press Play the first time, the animation will play correctly. But the next time you press Play, as the animation starts the sprite will stretch out all weird, the sprite will snap to a different position in the scene (-40,25,0 in my case) and then from there the animation will play correctly.

Update: The issue in #3 only occurs when "Trim" is enabled in TexturePacker. If unchecked so that the sprites are the actual size on sheet, then the animation will play back in Unity without any weird stretching or position changes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  47. mas

mas

What can I say .. GREAT!

True ... have to put this in the online user manual, because Unity3d can only use its native TextAsset files (like txt or xml ). You can, however save/publish it to an xml right from TexturePacker by adjusting the extension there.

Orthello should populate the atlas as soon as the datafile is set or changes .. I will doublecheck if this behaviour still works correctly.

mmm.. have to check into this .. I smell a 1.5a coming up :p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  48. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

Is there any way to play back Framesets within an Animation at different FPS?

EDIT: Cancel that, turns out you can set the seconds in Single Duration on each Frameset individually.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  49. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

When I duplicate a Sprite or an Animating sprite, the object gets renamed to something like Sprite (id=-28260) or Animating Sprite (id=-50810) even if the original object that I'm duplicating was named something like "MyObject". Can you leave the object name alone when duplicating sprite objects as I'd prefer to have my own meaningful names.

50. mas

mas

I have adjusted Orthello, so that a (CTRL-D) or a (copy+paste) action on a OTObject ( sprite/animating sprite) will keep the name and appends a '-number' ..

For example copying 'MyObject' will lead to 'MyObject-1', 'MyObject-2' , 'MyObject-3' etc.
    The original base name is kept so copying a copy will result in the same base-name.
    (renaming manually is always a possibility)

I have to create a unique name because of internal lookup lists that need a unique name.

Regards,

P.s. download latest beta @ http://www.wyrmtale.com/dload/beta-orthello/product.rar

Martijn.