Search Unity

Orthello 2D Framework - 100% FREE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mas, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Pgatti

Pgatti

Hi mas,

I'm still having problems with the animations, I can't set a array of sprites using the informations on the container, could you help me? Let's set an example, let's consider that on the altas I have 5 images on that order: spr01, spr02, spr05, spr03, spr04. Let's suppose that I want to set an animation with ths sprites "spr01, "spr03" and "spr04". How do I set the array?

Thanks and sorry by these questions.

2. mas

mas

Normally you would :

1. create an animation object
    2. set the framesets array size to 1 (or more if you want to add more than one frameset )
    3. add a frameset for this animation
    4. dont use the startFrame and EndFrame but set the frameNames array size to 3 : it will create 3 elements for you
    5. enter the spr01, spr03 and spr04 in that order in the 3 array elements.

This should do the trick.

If not .. please package a simple sample project up for me and send it @ support at wyrmtale dot com so I
    will look into it

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. Pgatti

Pgatti

Man,

Thanks a lot, it really worked. :D

All the best!

4. pescador

pescador

Hi mas

You have done a great work with Orthello. I am new with Unity, I am evaluating Orhtello Free edition for a game prototype, and if it all goes well then I will buy the Pro Edition.

It's a 2D Tower Defense game prototype for Android. The only problem I had is that I don't know how to manage OTView to scale the game to fill all the mobile screen, on width or on height, maintening original aspect ratio, and leaving black unused space.

I unchecked AlwaysPixelPerfect and also set PixelPerfectResolution to 800x520.

The game scales great on height. But when the mobile screen width is too thin, the game scales well on height, but not on width. Instead of scaling width and leaving black spaces on heigth, it scales height to fit all the screen's height and the game's scene gets out of screen's width.

It seems that it only cares about height when scaling.

I tried writing some code to scale on the fly, but nothing changed.

Could you please help me with this ?

Thank you very much, and I am sorry about my poor english.

Best regards

Gabriel

5. mas

mas

Thats true, The OT.view only take the height into account when auto-scaling.

In my opinion the best solution would be to let it first auto scale on height
    and than, after you detect the device resolution, you just zoom out
    using the OT.view.zoom, until you have the entire width into your view.

Maybe you can create some auto calculation for this.

Hope this helps.

6. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'm trying to create an animation based off of a sprite sheet (which I already have) and I'm constantly running into problems. For 1 the animation isn't playing and when I go to the other frames manually, all of them move down 4 pixels from the frame before. Example: Frame 1 is fine, the picture in frame 2 moved down 4 pixels, the picture in frame 3 moved down 4 pixels plus the amount in frame 2. This goes all the way up to 7 frames. What is going on here?

Edit: I should probably say that this animation is played automatically after a certain time. Also, I tried adjusting the spritesheet as much as I could and nothing worked.

Another Edit: Would it be better to make individual sprites out of my spritesheets? I have no problem doing that.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  7. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I got the animation to play, but the frames are still way off. Do I have to put each sprite inside the spritesheet as a separate file in order for this to work?

8. mas

mas

A spritesheet is just an image file that contains a series of frames that all have the same size. If you configure it well and link it to a sprite or animating sprite using an animation object, Orthello will play/set the correct image for you as you request it.

I advise you to read

http://www.wyrmtale.com/orthello/sprite-containers ,
    which explains about the different sprite containers :spriteSheet and spriteAtlas ( <- imported from texturepacker. )

Reading the chapter about sprites and animation would also be advisable.

You can also look at the different examples that are provided with the framework. They let you see how things are configured and how you can control them by code. The Example 3 - shooting asteriods, has all that you need.

GL.

9. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I read the documentation completely, as said in my email, but I'm still having problems. That's why I said I think it's my sheets or me. However I tested another one and it's not off at all. The spritesheet I'm having problems with doesn't appear to be off at all (and yes I checked) either.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. rextr09

rextr09

Hi, I want to display some text using bitmap fonts on screen (like scores etc). Can Orthello handle that? If it can, how many draw calls there will be if I have multiple text instances using the same font atlas? Thanks.

11. mas

mas

Best thing than is that you create a simple sample package with instructions and send it to the wyrmtale support e-mail so I can check what is wrong.

12. mas

mas

Orthello does not have any sprite font support (yet). I am thinking of implementing it though. Not sure if I will put it in the Free or Pro.
    So until than you will have to use the regular Unity text way of doing things or use another product like NGUI for example.

13. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

will do.

14. BortStudios

BortStudios

I apologize if this has been answered, I skimmed through the thread and didn't see anything about my problem. I've also looked at your website extensively, but cannot find an answer to this.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep my character in one place as he flips through animations. For instance, when he goes into walking from idling, because of the different sizes of the image sets for each animation and his relative location in the image sets he shifts to the left a bit. Is there a field I can input how much to offset specific animations so that they are consistent in location with drawing him?

This is a great framework, by the way, it's been super helpful in getting my game going. Thanks.

15. oathbreakergames

oathbreakergames

So I'm having an issue with objects that exist between scenes. The objects persist and function just fine, but OnInput stops working. OnInput works within the scene they are created in, but after switching to another scene, and even after switching back to the original scene, OnInput will not trigger anymore. Is there something I could be doing wrong? A list I might need to add the object to when I switch scenes?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I love using your product.

16. mas

mas

There is no specific offset setting that you can specify for an animation's frameset to correct this. So for this time being, you should capture the animation end or start and correct the position manually by code.

I will put this on my todo list because I think this would be a good adition.

17. mas

mas

I have never tested this concept .. so can you create a simple package for me that demonstrates the problem en send it over at info at wyrmtale dot com, so I can check and solve it.

18. oathbreakergames

oathbreakergames

I just emailed you a package with the issue. Thanks.

19. mas

mas

Ok .. I found the cause....

Because sprites register themselves with the OT object for several things, among them to receive input events, when a new scene is loaded, the OT main object changes and those registered lists become empty. Because of this the OnInput delegate is not called.

I am working on an OT.Persist(OTObject orthelloObject)
    method that will make sure the orthello objects will persist correctly
    across orthello scene's.

For now ..

just capture the OnLevelWasLoaded event in some script and
    assign the registerInput property of your persitent sprite
    - first to false
    and
    - back to true.

This will reset the input handler for that sprite in the OT object.

If you would like to do lookups with OT.ObjectByName(..)
    you should also register using OT.Register(sprite);

Update

I implemented OT.Persist and made an example scene. I send you
    the beta with this....

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  20. rtumelty

rtumelty

Hi, I'm working on a 2D game, and have been using Orthello with TexturePacker for sprite management. Both Unity and Orthello are the latest versions. While most of the time it works flawlessly, I've been having some issues when importing one of my sprite atlases.

In TexturePacker, I export to cocos2d and change the data file to .xml. I then publish the sprite atlas and bring it into Unity. I then create a sprite using the sprite atlas as a source. However, one of the atlases does not display properly as a sprite. The sprite 'frame' does not match the same UV coordinates that should be displayed. As a result, the sprite displays part of the wrong frame, or even multiple frames. This is even more noticable on animated sprites, as it scrolls through a sequence of incorrect frames.

At first I thought that this may have been caused by the Trim or Crop options within TexturePacker, but I have since tried exporting with these disabled, and am still experiencing the issue.

If you could help me with this, it'd be much appreciated!

Ronan

21. rtumelty

rtumelty

Scratch that! Unity was overriding the texture sizes to 1024x1024 rather than 2048x2048, so the xml was describing a larger area than the desired image.

22. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

Mas,

I just started experimenting with Orthello and it seems really nice - great work!

However (you know this was coming... ;)), I just ran into a small issue.

I have an OTAnimatedSprite that's set as collidable. Whenever it's involved in a collision, I was originally doing the following to the sprite:

1. Change its Animation Frameset to one that contains a simple explosion animation
    2. Disable the Looping property
    3. Enable the DestroyWhenFinished property

The idea was to 1) display a short animation explosion, 2) without any looping and 3) destroy the sprite when the animation finished.

That all worked as expected, but I noticed that I was sometimes getting a collision triggered on the sprite while the explosion was playing - which I didn't want. To prevent that, I added the following to the above 3 steps:

2.5 Disable the Collidable property

While that seems to work as expected while running the game in the editor, now each collision triggers the following complaint from Unity:

Code (csharp):
    1. Destroying object immediately is not permitted during physics trigger and contact callbacks. You must use Destroy instead.
    2. UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
    3. OTObject:CheckInputCollidable() (at Assets/Orthello/Standard Assets/OT/_Base/OTObject.cs:1097)
    Looking at that code, the offending Orthello line (in my case) is line 13 below:

Code (csharp):
    1.         if (registerInput)
    2.         {
    3.             if (colliderType == ColliderType.Box  b == null)
    4.                 b = gameObject.AddComponent<BoxCollider>();
    5.             if (colliderType == ColliderType.Sphere  sp == null)
    6.                 sp = gameObject.AddComponent<SphereCollider>();
    7.             OT.InputTo(this);
    8.         }
    9.         else
    10.         {
    11.             OT.NoInputTo(this);
    12.             if (!registerInput  b != null  !collidable)
    13.                 DestroyImmediate(b);      // <<<-------------------------  message comes from here
    14.             if (!registerInput  sp != null  !collidable)
    15.                 DestroyImmediate(sp);
    16.         }
    17.         SetCollider();
    I'd appreciate any input you have to offer (even if it's to point out an error in my use of Orthello).

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  23. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

Regarding my previous post (just above this one)...

I found a workaround. Now, instead of disabling the sprite's "Collidable" property, I simply set its "CollisionDepth" to 1000. Both essentially make the sprite "non-collidable" in my case, which is what I needed. However, the workaround doesn't trigger the constant Unity complaint mentioned above.

Anyway, something seems a little fishy with regard to changing the Collidable property.

Jeff

24. mas

mas

Good to hear you have found a workaround.

Another way of doing this ( I would ) is to create 2 sprites, 1 for your colliding entity and one for your explosion. If the entity collides and has to be destroyed, just destroy it and create an explosion at its position that doesnt have a collider at all.

In addition

There also is/was a bug in OTObject that can/will trigger onEnter, onCollision, onExit multiple times when the OTAnimatingSprite entity is moving. If you look at the collider while running you will see it jumping around strangely
    and thus , causing the additional collider events.

I solved this and this will be released in our next BIG release, somewhere in June.

If you would like to change it manually in the mean time :
    The solution to this bug

OTSprite, line 763

Code (csharp):
    1. Vector3 sc3 = new Vector3(sc.x, sc.y, 1);
    Becomes

Code (csharp):
    1. Vector3 sc3 = new Vector3(sc.x, sc.y, OT.view.sizeFactor);
    So having an animating sprite collide and change it animation will no longer trigger additional
    collider events in the future.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  25. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

Another happy Orthello user here. I am using it with UniTile and so far everything works fine. I have one question however:
    Is it possible to flip an AnimatingSprite at runtime? I noticed that setting localScale to -1 doesn't work.

26. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

Sure, that makes good sense. Though, with Orthello's frameset controls, I thought what I did might be more the "Orthello way"... ;)

Thanks. I've patched my local copy.

Great - looking forward to it!

Again - thanks for a great tool.

Jeff

27. mas

mas

Try ..

myAnimatingSprite.flipVertical = true;

or

myAnimatingSprite.flipHorizontal = true;

28. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

Ah! That's what I thought but since MonoDevelop didn't autofill it, I didn't try it out.
    Nice!

29. alexsilent

alexsilent

I like Orthello 2D, it's a Great Tool!
    But there is two problems:
    1) Why sprites is very large?
    I try to change "Pixel Perfect Resolution" ((OT/View) from 1024*768 to 10,24*7,68), but nothing happens. Sprites is still very large. And sprites have not changed in size.
    2) Why sprites is very slow falling?
    Collidable to True + Physics to RigidBody = Very Weak gravitation. Very slow falling.
    Is it because sprites very large?

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  30. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

I'd guess you have some kind of configuration problem, though I'm not sure what. I can say that I don't have this issue with Orthello
    From the Orthello User's Guide:

TIP! Because Orthello's main camera approach is setup so that Unity3D 1 unit == 1 pixel (Unity3D normaly works with 1 unit == 1 meter). This can lead to unrealistic physics behaviour (objects falling very slowly) . To counter this you can :

Tweek things like object mass and gravity.
    A good gravity setting for the default Orthello setup is around gravity.y=-450.0f.
    (This can be found in Unity3D->Edit->Project Settings->Physics).

or

Change the orthographic size of the camera to something more distance (world in meters) related using the OT.view.customSize. Something between 1 and 5 will probably fit your need. Just try out and find your solution. Important to note is that sprite sizes and positions will also be in units when you change your camera to a custom size (OT.view.alwaysPixelPerfect and the OT.view.pixelPerfectResolution will still work).

Jeff

31. mas

mas

Good Reply Jeff ...

And in addition, the sprites being so large ... is always related to some other stuff you have in there ..
    so also probaly due to the fact that 1 Unity3d unit is 1 pixel for Orthello default.

Try setting your OT.view.cusoitmSize .. and recreate your sprites, so that they will be at the right size.

32. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

Just above, alexsilent asked "Why are the sprites so large?" to which I responded "Not sure - I've never seen that before".

However, I think I'm seeing it now. Up until now, all of my sprites were contained in a single OTSpriteAtlasCocos2D container object and imported from an atlas created by TexturePacker. With that scenario, I hadn't seen the "large sprite" thing. However, I just added a OTSpriteSheet container and imported a simple PNG spritesheet. I then added a OTSprite object and assigned the new OTSpriteSheet to it.

However, the resulting sprite is *huge* compared to the other sprites. Again, the main difference is that the correct sprites are using a sprite atlas and the too-large sprite is using a sprite sheet.

The original texture that's assigned to the sprite sheet seems fine (and is appropriately scaled). So far, I haven't figured out what's causing the sprite scaling issue. Maybe this is the same thing that alexsilent reported above?

Any thoughts mas?

Thanks,

Jeff

33. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

OK, I figured it out. It seems that the "Size" of my OTSprite defaulted to 100x100. In reality, my sprite is 14x14. Resetting the size to 14x14 seems to have corrected everything.

But, each time I drag another OTSprite into the scene, it comes in as 100x100. Is that intentional or do I have something mis-configured?

Thanks,

Jeff

34. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

Just noticed something else. While I don't *know* that it's Orthello related, it certainly seems to be...

My Orthello-based project seems to be in some sort of ever-unsaved state. That is, the editor always shows an asterisk beside the text in the title bar indicating the project has been changed since it was last saved. When I press Ctrl+S to save the project, the asterisk blinks off for a split second and then comes right back on. Just prior to quitting Unity, I can save everything but I'm still asked if I want to save on exit.

Also, I notice the status bar makes mention of cleaning up leaked materials periodically (though I don't know if it's related).

I say that it seems Orthello related as 1) I've only ever used Orthello in this one project and 2) I've never seen this issue outside of this project.

Has anyone else seen this? Any thoughts appreciated.

Jeff

35. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

With regards to the size of a new sprite, that happens for me too. When adding a sprite container it will automatically adjust to the size of the first frame, though.

36. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

I just thought I would say something about using Orthello with UniTile.

What I do is this:

First I set everything up using Orthello. Then I make a tile layer and an object layer in UniTile and align these with Orthellos view. This was very easy and just a question of setting the right size and moving things around in the editor.

Next I make sprites in Orthello, turn them into prefabs and drag them over to the prefab section of UniTiles object layer. UniTiles object layer is really helpful in keeping tiles and objects together. When I change any of the prefabs made with Orthello, they are automatically changed on the object layer too.

So far everything has worked flawlessly for me and I am very happy with my setup. It allows me to get results fast.

37. mas

mas

Regarding the 100x100 size

The default OTSprite Size ( check the prefab object ) is 100x100.
    The real transform.localscale size is multiplied by a certain calculated facor if a OT.view.customSize is used. So this is intended.

Assigning a container (the first time) should reset this size to the first frame
    or assigning an image should reset this to the size of the image texture;

You can ofc manually adjust the size.

There is a know bug when having an animating sprite that uses more than one container. It will reset a manually adjusted size to the original again when it switches containers .. this will be fixed
    in the next update. ( I have a manual patch for it though - for those who encounter it. )

Regarding the always in save state

Will check that out and dive into it.

Regarding the leaked materials.

This is not a critical error and is caused by my 'sometimes sloppy' material cache system that lets materials 'float' in memory on some occasions. I have improved this and this should be a lot better in the next update

Expect the next update somewhere the first half of June.. with

- Some Bugfixes
    - OTDebug - in-app debugging ( for live apps/games and on tablets )
    - OTSound - Easy sound support
    - OTTextSprite ( bitmap text sprites - multi line - wordwrapping - justify, bmfont, hiero, glyphdesigner )
    - OTScale9Sprite ( scale9 sprites for windows , panels etc )
    - Improved out of the box (multi-finger on tablets) drag support, that will also work on tablet devices
    - PRO Multi-mesh sprites (gradient,texst,scale9) support for OTSpriteBatch

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  38. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

This sounds very good. Keep up the good work!

Just a little tip on using custom GUI styles while working with pixel-art in Orthello. If you have Always Pixel Perfect set to false, and you want your buttons and boxes to display properly, just remember to set the button and box sizes so that they display properly at whatever you input as Pixel Perfect Resolution rather than the games target resolution.

For instance, I have set Pixel Perfect Resolution to 640x480 while the games resolution is 1280x720. My pixel-art is originally made in 160x120, 4 times smaller than 640x480, so to have the GUI buttons and boxes display properly, I multiply the original size by 4.

39. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

Try clicking once in the scene window and save again. That usually works for me.

40. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

Thanks, but no joy here. No matter how/where I trigger the save, the asterisk indicating unsaved changes simply flashes and immediately returns. And, Unity always thinks the project is in an unsaved state.

Jeff

41. mas

mas

Just to let you , Orthello friends, know ...

I am implementing an OT.world setting for the next Orthello 2.0 release in June

- OT.world == WorldSide : Front-Side orientation ( current )
    - OT.world == WorldTopDown : Top-Down orientation ( with Unity navmesh support )
    - OT.world == World3D ( to integrate Orthello within a 3D scene )

Check this demo of 3D orthello integration

With this World3D approach, Orthello can also be used to create 3D UI interface elements like
    buttons, menu's etc etc that float in 3D space.

the arrows in the example are all sprites attached to the 3D cubes with an
    OTTween for the size and alpha value of the arrows.

And more goodies are coming as well in the 2.0 like OTTextSprite, OTScale9Sprite, OTSound, OTDebug.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  42. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

Nice!

I have a question. I am trying to limit rotation to the z-axis while using the LookAt function, like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. transform.LookAt(new Vector3(transform.position.x,transform.position.y,target.position.z));
    But the result is that there is no rotation at all. I also tried doing this using iTween and it's orienttopath function and the result was the same.

Is this an Orthello issue or just some bad coding on my part?

43. mas

mas

44. littleelkgirl

littleelkgirl

That makes sense. It works fine now.

45. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I followed the instructions to make Orthello work with JavaScript, but now when I drag any Orthello prefabs onto the scene, they're missing their Mono Behavior scripts. How do I fix this?

46. mas

mas

What prefabs are you dragging onto the scene?

If you are dragging the default prefab objects from Orthello\objects, i could not say how those Mono behaviour scripts became lost/unlinked.

Did you move any files outside of Unity?

Are the C# examples still working?

Maybe you can create a new project and re-import the Orthello package from scratch. Normally Mono behaviour scripts only become unlinked when files are moved in a non-Unity way.

47. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

It turns out it was just me being really dumb. I was moving the files in finder rather than directly in Unity and I forgot that Unity handles all the linking internally.

48. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Now I have a question that isn't stemming from me doing something wrong! I'm using Orthello in conjunction with UniTile and everything is just peachy, but I have a bit of a problem. UniTile has a tendency to seam if the camera position is non-round. So right now, very rarely, I'll see some seams appear between my blocks.

With my old camera system, I just had a simple mathf.round to fix this, but I can't seem to figure out how I'd do this with the Orthello View system. Is there a way to make it so it will only change the camera position to round numbers? I'm not terribly afraid of code-diving but I'm not at all familiar with C#.

49. mas

mas

Regarding the camera .. you should be able to set the camera position manually using
    OT.view.position.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  50. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Setting the position manually that way doesn't seem to be working for me. The best I can do is manage to get the position to be rounded so long as the view is stationary. As soon as it starts moving, the positions are non-round numbers and the seams become apparent.