Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Paint - Free Mesh Painting In Unity - DOWNLOAD

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Digital, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Salim

Salim

Hello Digital, I just bought the Digital Paint tool and I must say that I'm very impress by your great work. I do however have a few issues with it that prevent me to do what I want.

1. When export levels I made from 3ds max, some of my models have multiple materials. It seems like the DP tool only works properly on models that have a single material. Adding a material with the tool overwrite the third material in the list, which is often not the material I want to paint on. This is my biggest issue with the tool since I need to make complex models with multiple material for the level, but I also need your tool to make some of the elements look unique.

2. The activeden page says that you can paint on tillable textures, but I couldn't do that. Painting on one area automatically painted on another area of the model that are at the same UV.

3. No undo, but I see from your post that you are working on that. Any clue on when or how I can get an update?

4. I noticed that the brushes behave differently when you change their size. If you make the brush really small, the brush will have huge gap between each stoke making it hard to paint smoothly.

Sorry if I seem to be picky, but I really believe that your tool can really add value to the artistic look of a level. Thank you!

2. Digital

Digital

No, your not picky, with your feedback you can help me improve this tool.

1. Ok, this is an issue. I never use models with multiple materials, I simply put multiple objects on a same UV map.
    2. Yes, every 3D painting tool uses UV for painting. There is "Painting with tileable or non tileable textures - Creation of new tileable textures". This means that you can use taileable texture or simple texture to paint your objects. Creation of new tileable textures is done with simple plane object, then you can use all available textures to create new tileable texture.
    3. Yes, comes with next update, just few more testing.
    4. Yes but that is not an issue because of performance. Original painting was smooth stroke and it was working fine when painting on one map but when you paint three maps at once then there is a big performance drop. Maybe I could create smooth stroke option so you can turn it on or off.

3. zipper

zipper

Perfect, that's exactly what i was thinking off.

Another suggestion:

I believe there is some open source code floating about for common filter effects (Add, Multiply, Screen, Dodge, Burn). It would be awesome to add these options for painting.

Best,
    zipper

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Salim

Salim

Thank you Digital for answering my questions so fast. I think I could understand how your tool work a little bit better. If I can make a suggestion:

Painting with your tool creates a new material with it's own UV. While this works fine with small objects, this can be a problem with large object that need to have tillable textures. Your fence in your video for example; if you where to make the fence longer, the Keep Out sign that you painted would surely reappear at some point.This limits what you can do with your paint tool since you could not paint small unique details on something big in the level such a tall building.

What I suggest is to paint on a new mega decal texture (material) that would wrap around the whole model, or if that is not possible, dynamically create batches of small decal textures as you paint on the object. I don't know how the terrain editor works, but you could get inspiration from their texture painting functionality. This could also fix the problem of not been able to paint on models with more then one material.

Again, I admire your work and hope you can make it better. Thank you.

5. MrMitch

MrMitch

This looks like an amazing tool.

How long until you think you'll be ready to release the tool and what price tag are you looking at?

6. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Digital has already done but not in unity assetstore (hopefully not for long...I think that in assetstore you could reach a good selling result of this tool).
    Here the post with link.
    Hey Digital ... you could add this link in the first post! Now is not easy to find! ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  7. unityasoft

unityasoft

Any ideas when you will release? and on pricing?

8. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Here the first lite version (just in case you missed it).

9. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Digital...any news regarding Asset Store availability!!

10. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Digital, any news ? updates? ... asset store release?

11. ibyte

ibyte

I noticed in the demo that when you paint, both sides of the wall are affected. Is that just a side effect of the way the wall was created ie is it a simple plane or some other mesh?

iByte

12. ibyte

ibyte

Could i use this package to paint on your Mini Golf Construction Kit pieces?

Thanks

iByte

13. Roidz99

Roidz99

hey, i browsed trough this post and i'm very intersted in this asset. I see it allows you to paint textures (on objects) in the editor. Is is also possible to allow my players to paint/customize their car as example ?

14. rmele09

rmele09

This looks awesome, will keep an eye on this.

15. rmele09

rmele09

any idea when this might be on the asset store?

16. Roidz99

Roidz99

i gues this project died a silent dead

17. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

aweeeeeeesm keep developing

18. U7Games

U7Games

can this tool paint between two single meshes ?
    for instance... you have a wall and a floor (two objects). if you paint between them (just in the intersection edge) should you paint them? (this is good to increase ambient occlusion effect with some decals..

19. Digital

Digital

This project is too old and outdated, I have no time to deal with it. I would like to put it here as a freeware asset, are there any coders interested in updating and sharing this asset?

20. pyscho2day

pyscho2day

If anything i would like to take a look at it, and possibly update it for U5.

21. Gooseman_1977

Gooseman_1977

22. Digital

Digital

Digital Paint Lite download link on the first page. Check out this tool and give me some feedback. Lite version can paint on diffuse map only. I have lost older test projects and assets. This is a new start point. I will post some tutorial videos soon.

23. Digital

Digital

I have found my old Digital Paint project, its updated for 4.6 version.

Download
    Digital Paint - Full

twobob likes this.
  24. twobob

twobob

My only qualm would be the use of the resources folder, as it will build unnecessary junk into the final build.

Will check it out!

hmm

Code (csharp):
    2. Unsupported texture format - needs to be ARGB32, RGBA32, RGB24 or Alpha8
    3. UnityEngine.Texture2D:SetPixel(Int32, Int32, Color)
    4. DigitalPaintTool:PaintMainPencil(Vector2, Vector2) (at Assets/DigitalPaint/Editor/DigitalPaintTool.js:1602)
    5. DigitalPaintTool:PencilTool() (at Assets/DigitalPaint/Editor/DigitalPaintTool.js:845)
    6. DigitalPaintTool:OnSceneGUI() (at Assets/DigitalPaint/Editor/DigitalPaintTool.js:604)
    7. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    Guess I will need to check my formats.

Seems like this would be a good project to stick through the CsharpAtron to make it maximally accessible. Perhaps I will put that on my todo list, if I get it going.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  25. LexaDesing

LexaDesing

Why i have this error ? plz help

Assets/Editor/DigitalPaintTool.js(314,41): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'preview': DigitalPaintTool.preview, UnityEditor.Editor.preview.

26. twobob

twobob

err. I kind of recall just changing all the preview references to DigitalPaintTool.preview to get it going,
    I'm not sure when UnityEditor.Editor.preview entered the game but it may have been after this was coded.

anyways "This project is too old and outdated, I have no time to deal with it." so.. change the references yourself.
    That should sort it.

By the way - that error is pretty specific and helpful, be thankful, there are much less helpful ones ;)

27. LexaDesing

LexaDesing

ok thanks but i dont know about the computer language, no problem thanks for answer me

28. twobob

twobob

open file, in anything, monodevelop will do, whatever.

change the Ambiguous reference to preview to the word DigitalPaintTool.preview (with the dot)
    (The line number is right there)

save file.
    switch to unity.

Unity will read it again. and spit out the next error.
    repeat.

This is debugging.
    I kind of recall this tool being crazily slow on my terrain meshes. which is why I don't use it.

29. LexaDesing

LexaDesing

Okey i will try thank