Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fluvio - Fluid Dynamics for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lilymontoute, Jul 3, 2011.

1. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sent you a PM with a patch for 1.3 - Let me know if it's working, as it's a D3D issue, and I don't have a Windows machine on hand to test with.

Thanks!

EDIT: For anyone needing this fix immediately - as a workaround, disable anti-aliasing.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. yuewah

yuewah

for Fluvio, I concern the performance on iPhone, e.g. how many particles will drop frame-rate, Is it possible to have an App like Fluid Box to show off.

3. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

For iPhone (with the fluid shader), you want to have 200 or less particles, and make sure the optimization flag is set. With a standard particle shader you can go higher, especially on the iPhone 4/iPad 1 which suffers from fill rate issues.

For pre-baked particles, this number can go higher.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. Dan Dixon

Dan Dixon

Which computational method does Fluvio use for simulating fluids? Is it smoothed-particle hydrodynamics?

5. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Correct - Fluvio uses SPH, along with a custom surface tension and boundry condition solver.

An update: Dan has identified a bug with current Fluvio versions with the viscosity setting. A fix is in place and should be uploaded soon once some more testing has been finished.

6. GS-Kiwibird

GS-Kiwibird

I am thinking about purchasing this, but first I have a few questions.

Would it be difficult to integrate Fluvio into a game primarily using Javascript?

Will Fluvio work with Unity 3.5 once it's released?

Could I reproduce nearly the same functionality as the "fluid" from Portal 2 using Fluvio?

I'm not looking for an absolute "Yes" to each question. I'd just like to know what to expect with Fluvio. Thanks.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The demo unity player has all the fluids flipped vertically for some bizarre reason?

8. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

1) Fluvio should work with Javascript just fine.
    2) Yes, it will work with 3.5.
    3) You can - in fact, Portal 2's fluids are pretty constrained with not too many particles. It wouldn't be too hard to create a particle plugin using the API with special properties for liquids. You'd need to write some scripts to handle the different behaviors and to create decals wherever fluid particles land (to replicate the Portal 2 gels soaking into the walls).

Thanks for that - the demo player is using an old version with the DirectX anti-aliasing bug. I'll get those replaced as soon as possible.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  9. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Fluvio | Multiphysics Changelog

******** VERSION 1.3.1 ********

Fluvio:
    - Viscosity bug fix

This fixes an issue with the viscosity property not behaving as expected with fluids. I've just submitted this to the Asset Store - it should be up shortly.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. indy2005

indy2005

Hi,

Can you detect wen fluid s colliding with a non fluid body, or with perhaps another fluid type (mix fluids)...I.e Where's My Water type game?

11. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

12. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

An update on Fluvio 2 development:

The code rewrite is about 90% completed - performance has taken a massive leap due to some fundamental changes under the hood (2x-4x in initial testing, single-threaded). Once the rewrite is finished, I will be implementing a marching cubes plugin (a highly requested feature) for actual fluid mesh geometry.

Fluvio 2's API is not directly compatible with Fluvio 1.x - however, there are equivalent properties for just about every method.

I will also write an exporter in order to export Fluvio 1.x fluids to the new fluid file format.

No release window just yet (it's done when it's done), but expect one fairly soon.

13. GS-Kiwibird

GS-Kiwibird

Thank you. This is just what I need for my game. Looking forward to Fluvio 2!

14. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I decided to not go with marching cubes in the end due to the extremely high performance cost (I may include the algorithm for offline rendering, though). I've upgraded the old renderer to a surface shader with a new lighting model, compatibility for both forward and deferred rendering, and support for normal maps. I've also wrapped it up nicely in one easy-to-use component that is placed on the camera. I've also included support for using Shuriken to render billboards (or even meshes!) with the fluid shader or any other shader.

Here's a video of the new renderer. You'll want to watch this in 1080p - there are some artifacts in the video from the screen capture.

EDIT: This video is outdated, check the first post

The fluid in this video is constrained to 2D with 300 particles, and lit by two pixel lights + one directional light. I'll upload some more videos with different configurations.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  15. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I've just sent out Fluvio 2.0 beta 1, with the new Water Wheel example scene.

Changelog:
    • All of the code has been rewritten, and the object model has been simplified. Performance tests have shown Fluvio 2 to run anywhere between 2x-4x faster, use less memory, and create less garbage.
    • FluidParticlePlugins have been removed (Prefabs can still be spawned along with particles, though). All ParticlePlugin functionality can be handled with OnFluidCollision____ events.
    • FluidBillboards have been replaced. Billboards are now rendered either using Shuriken (Unity 3.5+), or the Legacy Particle Emitter.
    • Fluid audio components offer much better performance.
    • An AdvancedFluidSettings component has been added, exposing some performance-related API functions.
    • Multithreading can be toggled at runtime.
    • All shaders have been rewritten into surface shaders for more unified support across platforms. Shader-related effects have all been combined into a single FluidEffect script, which should be applied on a camera.
    • Shaders now support lighting, normal maps and specular highlights. Fallbacks are available for both Forward and Deferred rendering modes.

Preliminary beta docs are available here.

If you would like to be on the beta list and own a copy of Fluvio, send me your email and invoice number through PM and I can send you a copy of the beta.

For everyone else, I should have another video of the water wheel scene uploaded shortly.

Also, I'd like to take some time out to announce the new license model with Fluvio 2. There will be three versions available - Fluvio, Fluvio Professional, and Fluvio Enterprise.
    • Fluvio 2 Professional (the current license) is a free upgrade to all current owners of Fluvio 1 and will include all source code. Professional's price will go up with the release of Fluvio 2.
    • Fluvio 2 ("Indie") will be available as a .NET assembly. Both packages will have the exact same features, and the indie license does not have any additional limitations. Indie's price has not been decided.
    • Fluvio Enterprise is available directly from Thinksquirrel Software and includes access to the project repository (Unity Asset Server, this can be mirrored onto SVN or Git) and direct product support. The availability and price of this option depends on the demand. Let me know if anyone would be interested in this.

16. Gooms9

Gooms9

Hey awesome looking plugin. Just curious, do you have any videos of some 3D fluid dynamics with shadows and specular highlights?

Also, am I correct in assuming that mesh based fluids are no longer on the table for fluvio 2.0?

Thanks!

17. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Not currently - shadows aren't yet supported - still working on the shaders and it's a pretty interesting problem to tackle using billboarding.

Marching cubes are off the table (for 2.0) unless I can speed them up a lot. I'm still looking at ways to speed up the algorithm, as well as other forms of surface reconstruction. I've explored a variety of research topics, but any suggestions in this area would be great.

I want to get it working correctly, and 2.0 brings many performance improvements and bugfixes that I'd like to release soon.

18. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

A preview of the new Paint example scene:

EDIT: This media is outdated, check the first post

Also, I'm happy to say that shadows, specular highlights, and cubemaps are now supported. Here are photos of the paint with a cubemap reflection (The first has no normal map on the decal):

Testers: Beta 2 should be out sometime this week.

For those who are interested, here's a list of the shaders shipping with Fluvio 2:

Fluid Shader (High Quality) - Shader Model 3.0 : Desktops/Web Player
    • Specular Highlights
    • Cubemaps
    • Depth Texture
    • Normal Maps
    • Realtime shadows (Desktop/Web Player)

Fluid Shader (Medium Quality) - Shader Model 2.0 : Desktops/Web Player
    • Specular Highlights
    • Depth Texture
    • Normal Maps
    • Realtime shadows

Fluid Shader (Low Quality) - Shader Model 2.0/GLES 2.0 : Desktops/Web Player/iPad 2/iPhone 4s and equivalent Android platforms
    • Specular Highlights
    • Depth Texture
    • Realtime shadows (Desktop/Web Player)

Fluid Shader (Mobile) - Shader Model 2.0/GLES 2.0 : Lower spec desktops/Web Player/iPhone 3GS+ and equivalent Android platforms
    • No depth texture (intended for 2D)

All shaders fallback appropriately, and the mobile shader falls back to Alpha Blended particles.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  19. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Beta 2 has been sent out to testers.

Here's a demo scene (finally):
    http://sqr.li/Zo8

20. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

Hi
    nice going there :)
    awsome progress , did you send the beta to ver 1 users ?
    Thank you and im really liking this .

21. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thank you! I've also sent you a link to the beta through PM =)

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Your web demo still renders fluids flipped Y for me but the new splatter demo works fine, if unresponsive (framerate seems ok, just mouse is virtually unresponsive)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  23. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hippo, can you try lowering the quality settings and let me know if it flips back?

EDIT: Actually, I think I've squashed this. Go ahead and reload the scene and let me know if it's working correctly now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  24. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Adding three features to the list...

1) Fluid profiles. Now you can change the settings for a fluid based on the runtime platform. The mobile example scene uses this feature in order to decrease particle count for iPhone 3GS/4, and downsample the shaders on iPhone 4/iPad 1. You can configure profiles by runtime platform + iPhone generation or dpi - I may include other conditions as well.

2) Fluid grabbing/pushing example script. Taken straight from Fluid Box, I've included the script that allows you to manipulate fluids with the mouse/multi-touch. You can try it out in the web player here.

3) A focus on fluid camera script. This script uses the new centroid and bounds API - It finds the fluid particle that most represents the center of all of the particles, focuses the camera on that, and changes the distance or orthographic size to encompass the entire fluid. It includes min and max distances/sizes, as well as easing variables. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm working on documentation and some final testing before initial release. I have plans to revamp the softbody and animation system, but there are so many fixes and improvements in 2.0 that I would like to get out of the door. I also would like to take the time to make sure those two features are implemented in a much better way.

I've done some performance optimization for mobile and I'm fairly happy with the results. The mobile demo will have
    ~75 nicely sized 2d particles by default, decreasing particle count for lower generation devices (I'm still tweaking the solver to see if I can get some more out of it, so those numbers aren't quite finalized).

Also, I'm looking for some Android testers! Whether you are in the beta list or not (I can even get you a trial copy of Fluvio if you don't own a license), I would like some people to beta test Fluvio on as many Android devices as possible. The only thing that I ask is that you have Android Pro (for the image effect). If interested, send me a PM with your email/Android device(s) and I can get you a pre-release verison.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  25. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Release Candidate 1 is out! And this one is an open beta. If you're interested in testing Fluvio 2 (whether you own Fluvio 1 or not), send me a PM with your email and I can get you an evaluation version. Please note that this version contains a watermark and cannot be used for commercial purposes.

2.0 should be out sometime this week, if all goes well (depending on the speed of the review process).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  26. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

And even more good news.... 2.0.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store! It should be released soon. Here are final details:

• Fluvio 2 Professional - $150 - This is a free upgrade to all current Fluvio 1 customers, with full source code.
    • Fluvio 2 Standard - $50 - This is a new package aimed at smaller-scale developers and people who don't need to tweak the source code at all. It offers the exact same functionality as Fluvio Professional.
    • Fluvio 2 Enterprise - contact me - This is a full site license for larger-scale developers.

I'll be sending out evaluations over the next few days to beta testers (also people who applied and were unable to try out rc1). A more accessible evaluation version (A free, non-commercial use Fluvio) will be coming soon.

These prices are subject (but unlikely) to change.

Some important notes:
    • I've cut softbodies and animation for this initial release - I'm hard at work at getting these to work just right, and was not satisfied with the old system. They're coming back very soon. Vertex softbodies, however, probably won't make it back in.
    • I'm working on an exporter tool for Fluvio 1.x to export to .fld files. If you have a lot of different fluids, you may want to hold off on upgrading until that releases.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  27. Gooms9

Gooms9

28. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I have looked at this article pretty extensively - there are a few issues with this method.

1) The method requires keeping a separate set of visualization particles and doing nearest-neighbor and kernel function calculations on the GPU. This is fine, but limits compatibility with older/less powerful GPUs. I also doubt that this would fit into Unity's surface shader architecture at all.

2) Downsampling the effect could be trickier to implement, compared to the current implementation.

3) A quote from the conclusion: "The biggest problem, however, lies in dealing with small parts of fluid that are located far apart. Because the repulsion algorithm requires a clip space encapsulating every particle, the limited resolution of the viewport will likely cause multiple particles to map to the same pixel, implying data loss."

I've been keeping it on my radar, though, for possible future implementation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  29. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just a heads up - Unity is having a large volume of 3.5 assets so Fluvio 2 may take a little bit for release. It seems the package metadata was updated but not the package itself, so sit tight folks, it's coming =)

30. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Fluvio 2 has been released! I've updated the first page.

Also, a bugfix release + some helper functions for a faster workflow will be coming in the next few days.

31. S0ULART

S0ULART

32. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sort of - Fluvio uses a Langrarian, particle-based method, whereas the video you linked is a Eulerian, grid-based simulation (on the GPU). There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.

All of those cases could be simulated with Fluvio (at a decreased resolution, since it's not running on the GPU).

33. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just submitted a workflow focused update, which makes it very simple to create a fluid and get going. Also fixed the voxel emitter (finally) and some other small bugs/issues.

******** VERSION 2.0.4 ********
    Fluvio:
    - Added some helper methods to create a fluid and a fluid effect. (Fluvio > Create Fluid, Fluvio > Create Fluid Effect)
    - Moved editor window menu location
    - Changed the default values to match the water example scene
    - Added controls to change an emitter's type easily
    - Added wireframe mesh visualization to the mesh emitter
    - Added voxel visualization to the voxel emitter
    - Added a maximum iteration count to the voxel emitter (no more crashes!)
    - Voxel emitter now works properly (yay!)
    - Voxel emitter now creates the voxel lookup table in the editor

Bug fixes:
    - Fixed a bug with Fluid profiles not detecting iPhone generation in Fluvio 2 Standard/Evaluation versions.
    - Minor GUI fixes

Example project:
    - Tweaked the Water Wheel (Mobile) example for better compatibility with older iPhone models.

34. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just tweaked the multithreaded solver to run tree generation on a separate thread. Massive performance gain for large particle counts - very pleased with the results. This will go in the 2.1 update, which is coming soon.

35. Gooms9

Gooms9

I'm guessing you have also seen this link? It's an open source project by a guy claiming to have implemented marching cubes on the gpu using a shader without resorting to geometry shaders. His demo videos look quite impressive. Very high resolution meshes with decent (30+) frame rates.

http://nvision.sourceforge.net/

36. unity_sg

unity_sg

Hi, I've tryied to download the free version on your website but I became an error message after clicking on the download button.

"Unable to send e-mail. Contact the site administrator if the problem persists."

What should I do ?

37. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I'll check out the website to see if there are any issues. It's a new system, so sometimes there are some hiccups.

38. unity_sg

unity_sg

Ok, I will wait for news

39. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

The website should be up and running again - let me know if you're still having issues downloading the trial.

40. unity_sg

unity_sg

Hi, I've downloaded the free version, but I've got an error message when I import the package in Unity 3.4

41. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

The free/standard versions are only compatible with 3.5 and higher.

42. unity_sg

unity_sg

Ok thanks

43. totalgg

totalgg

in the video the water go out of the box lol !!!

44. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

If you're talking about the 2D Fluid demo, that's intentional. The bottom of the box is a hinge joint, so the water pressure pushes a hole open.

45. danielvmacedo

danielvmacedo

Hi,

I would like to know how can I detect a collision of a fluid with a non-fluid object (ex: cube)??? I couldnt manage that :/

46. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey, I wasn't sure if you were having issues with collisions or collision messages, so here's some information on how to do both.

For proper collisions:
    Make sure that your fluid's collision type is set to "All" in the inspector. Your non-fluid object needs a collider as well.

If that's not working, make sure that your layer collision is set up correctly in Project Settings -> Physics, so that the fluid's layer and the object's layer both register collisions.

To detect collisions through a script (collision messages):
    Your script will need to inherit from and implement FluidCollisionPlugin in order to receive collision messages. You can then use OnFluidCollisionEnter(FluidCollision other), etc in your script. You also need to enable collision messages for your fluid. Note that collision messages incur an additional performance cost. Check the API reference here for more information.

47. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Asset Store Madness!

Fluvio 2 has joined the Asset Store Madness and is on sale for 50% off until April 8th!

Fluvio 2 Standard is on sale for $25, and Fluvio 2 Professional will be available for $75.

48. danielvmacedo

danielvmacedo

Thanks! Now, how can I detect collision messages between particles?!?! it is possible? Like detecting when two different types of fluids are colliding?

49. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

This is possible (yet very expensive computationally) - before doing this though, ask yourself if you want to detect individual particle collisions (there could be hundreds every frame), or just check to see if two fluids are in the same area (using Physics.OverlapSphere).

It's not included by default, so you'll need to check using Unity's OnCollisionEnter(), etc methods. Make sure your two fluids are on different layers, and that nothing else uses those two layers. Here are two example C# scripts (not tested, they may have some syntax errors or typos).

EventListener.cs
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class MyEventListener
    5. {
    6.     // The layer of the other fluid we're looking for
    7.     public int otherFluidLayer;
    9.     void OnCollisionEnter(Collision other)
    10.     {
    11.         if (other.collider.layer == otherFluidLayer)
    12.         {
    13.             // Do stuff here...
    14.         }
    15.     }
    16. }
    MyFluidPlugin.cs
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using ThinksquirrelSoftware.Fluvio.Plugins;
    5. public class MyFluidPlugin : FluidPlugin
    6. {
    7.     // The layer of the other fluid we're looking for
    8.     public int otherFluidLayer;
    10.     // This is called by a fluid when particles are allocated
    11.     void OnAllocatePool()
    12.     {
    13.         foreach(var particle in fluid.manager.particlePool)
    14.         {
    15.             var myEventListener = particle.gameObject.AddComponent<MyEventListener>();
    16.             myEventListener.otherFluidLayer = this.otherFluidLayer;
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    Again, I don't recommend this unless absolutely necessary. If you use it, you may have to increase your physics timestep to keep good framerates.

50. chaneya

chaneya

Just purchased Fluvio Pro on Asset Store today and I'm enjoying playing around with it.

Something I thought I would mention is in the Water Wheel (mobile) scene the water wheel does not rotate but makes a clicking sound like it is supposed to be rotating. Of course I noticed that the wheel does rotate in the regular Water Wheel scene. Looking at the difference in construction of the two scenes, I noticed that the mobile scene had a sphere as part of the Fluid Boundries setup that is not in the Water Wheel scene. I'm not entirely sure what that sphere is supposed to do but it has a Fluvio Ignore Collision script on it. I deactivated that sphere and the wheel in the mobile scene started rotating.

I just thought I would point this out because it's kind of confusing. At first I thought perhaps collisions were not turned on or something for mobile but it looks like the boundries construction is just wrong somehow in that mobile scene.

By the way, is there any chance you would be willing to sell the Fluid Box you released on iOS as an example package? I would be interested in buying that or a similar scene that demonstrates the use of multi touch controls with Fluvio collisions. If it's not something you want to put on the Asset Store, I would be interested in discussing a price in private if you are at all interested in selling that or something similar as a package. Just let me know.

Allan