Search Unity

Pause menu script added to the wiki

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Deleted User, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

2. thylaxene

thylaxene

nice! going have a play with it now.

cheers.

3. seon

seon

Wow, thats pretty comprehensive... a pause script on steroids!

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, all it needs is a game attached!

5. ToxicInsanity

ToxicInsanity

Great job, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

6. sonicviz

sonicviz

Very nice work. ty!

7. Choczy123

Choczy123

What is the SepiaToneEffect??? I cant find it -_-

8. BriceMcphail

BriceMcphail

Me Either!!!! I get the same error

9. BrknGlassStudios

BrknGlassStudios

The answer to your question is in the "Setup" instructions:

10. clxyeah

clxyeah

Thanks heaps!

11. edasert

edasert

How can I comment out that section?

BTW thank you

12. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

Select the code inside MonoDevelop and then right-click. When the menu appears, select "Comment Selection".

EDIT: thanks for that script, technicat.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

14. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

This looks like a great scipt although I can't use it because it keeps giving me this error:

Assets/Pause menu/Pausescript.js(366,25): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEngine.GameObject.active' is obsolete. GameObject.active is obsolete. Use GameObject.SetActive(), GameObject.activeSelf or GameObject.activeInHierarchy.

any thoughts on how to fix this?

The cursor doesn't lock making the camera still able to move during pause.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's actually a compiler warning, not an error, so it should still run, but warnings should be fixed, too. I'll fix the script on github (haven't touched it in a couple of years), but if you want to take a crack at it ahead of time and fix the script yourself (it's just a couple of lines in the script), I think it's a worthwhile exercise both in terms of getting familiar with the script and understanding SetActive, as that's a pretty important Unity script function everyone should understand.

Check out the Unity Script Reference page for SetActive, and the Unity 4 release notes has an explanation of how it differs from the Unity 3 active variable. The change was big enough to confuse a lot of people, so I blogged about it too:

http://www.fugutalk.com/?p=5892

16. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

Thanks for the link to the blog, reading it now. Yes it still works but the cursor doesn't lock and the camera still moves around v_v

I will try to have a crack at it as you say :p see how far I get but I am a noob at scripting so I may end up waiting till you fix it.

I know it has to do with (obj.active)

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't know why the cursor lock wouldn't work (as long as the variable is set to true in the inspector, and keep in mind it cursor locks when unpaused and not when paused), but the script only pauses time so it would only pause camera move if that is time dependent (e.g. I don't think the Unity-supplied mouselook script will stop movement when time is paused). So that's up to you to explicitly disable or modify scripts that need to be paused (see earlier posts on checking if timeScale is zero or disabling scripts and that that that of stuff is asked on the Unity answer site too).

The code in the script that sets active is actually a feeble attempt at letting you deactivate something extra besides just pausing time, but obviously it's limited (just one GameObject, which was enough for my purposes at the time), so that code is a good place to customize with your extra pause/unpause code. Think of the script as a starter example (as you can see from the github mod date, I haven't been using it for a long while since I don't use UnityGUI anymore...)

18. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

I see, yes I can add in a lock camera scipt to it :) looking into it now.

19. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

I fixed it with this addition:

var firstPersonControllerCamera = gameObject.Find("First Person Controller").GetComponent(MouseLook);
    var mainCamera = gameObject.Find("Main Camera").GetComponent(MouseLook);

Here's the script: http://pastebin.com/iLusCTPF

Basically added the FPS controller and main camera as a variable and then called it after the pause menu is off :)

Although clicking "Continue" doesn't really work

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nice job! By the way, I just remembered I have yet another version of the pause script written for my Unity 4 book, so that version should be up to date with Unity 4 but on the other hand is probably more limited since I tailored it for the book. It's included in the project samples on github: http://technicat.github.io/LearnUnity/