Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ESE Toolbox RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Skjalg, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Skjalg

Skjalg

Hi guys.

We at Exit Strategy Entertainment made a prototype of our upcoming game; Pirates of new Horizons a while back and in doing there has been the need for a few tools a long the way. I have now brushed up on those tools and made a package of them for the Asset store. All the tools come in their source code (c# scripts) so that you can easily see the algorithms used and hopefully give us valid feedback and in turn help others :)

Read more about all the tools at our forums

The tool will be continuously updated with tools that we come up with and think will be handy for the rest of you.
    Right now the tool consists of;
    Console
    Features
    1. Remembers past commands, you can navigate through them with arrow keys up and down.
    2. Auto-completes commands by hitting tab
    3. Customize logo and background color as well as which key or input button opens the console.
    4. Add your own console commands in both c# and javascript!
    You can read more about it on our forums.

References Transform Inspector
    This custom inspector will provide you with some handy buttons that will make your object creation a little simpler, while also providing a very powerful viewer.
    The Show References toggle will provide you with a list that shows all the gameobjects in the scene that references the selected gameobject or transform with any script that you use. It is incredibly handy.

Copy and Paste components
    Right click on the transform and you will be able to copy the all the scripts in a GameObject and paste them again wherever you'd like.

Find Objects
    Located under Window/ESE Toolbox/Find Objects
    When managing complex scenes it was hard for us to figure out where a script or component was used, or if it i was used at all, so we made this tool where you can drag in a script, choose a component, layer or tag and press find and it will list all the gameobjects that use the selected criterias.

Replace Layer
    Located under Window/ESE Toolbox/Replace Layer
    This tool works much like Find Objects, but instead of searching by script name it does a search by layer and changes the layer on all the objects it finds with a selected layer. Perfect if you want to get rid of a layer.

Copy Field
    Located under Window/ESE Toolbox/Copy Field
    When refactoring scripts by renaming variables unity will loose the already set values that are there. This tool helps you with that issue. Just drag in the script you want to copy a variables value from and then drag in the script you want to copy to. Select the variables you want to copy from and to and select if you want to do this on your scene or your prefabs or both. Then press copy.

Show References
    Located under Window/ESE Toolbox/Show References
    Drag in gameobject or a prefab in your project and press find. It will go through all the scene objects as well as prefabs and check for references. A great tool if you are wondering if a gameobject is used anywhere.

Rearrange Scripts
    Located under Window/ESE Toolbox/Rearrange Scripts
    Select a game object and you will be able to rearrange the script order with this tool. Very handy if you like to keep your scripts organized on gameobjects.

Scene View Level Toolbar
    There is a toolbar at the bottom of the scene that is linked to opening scenes. You can edit the buttons and the scenes they open by selecting the Editor/SceneView/ToolbarLevelSetup object and editing it in the inspector.

Project Tool
    Unity lets you click and drag an object in the scene view. It also makes it possible to snap the object to the ground if you press ctrl+shift while dragging. We felt that this workflow needed some small adjustments to make it even better. The Project Tool lets you left-click anywhere in the scene while holding down ctrl+shift and move an object instantly to that location. No need to drag it there anymore.
    If you instead right click you duplicate what you have selected and place it automatically where you click. You can also hold down the mouse button if you want to enable the Unity drag as usual.

Preferences
    Unity 3.5 allows you to add your own menu to the Preferences window, so now you can even customize how the Toolbox looks and behaves in your project!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. FrieChamp

FrieChamp

Our first Asset Store submission! \o/ Remember that we will continuously update this package with useful tools and update the price accordingly. If you buy the package for 10 bucks now, you'll get all future updates for free. :)

3. Skjalg

Skjalg

Hi guys, I just sent a new version over to unity for approval, this is a big release as it contains a console that can be used to debug or toy around with in game. I had peris test it in his game and it worked fine, you can even extend it with your own console commands in javascript and c# :)

As with the previous version, if you purchase the toolbox now for 20$ you will get all future updates for free, even if we increase the price later on. Purchase the toolbox at the asset store

Read more about the different tools here:
    1. Ese Logging and Console
    2. References Transform Inspector
    3. Copy Field
    4. Ese Utility
    Change Log
    Version 1.0
    • Added Copy Field
    • Added Find layer Objects
    Version 1.01
    • Added labels to the package
    Version 1.02
    • Added References Transform Inspector
    • Added Find Script Objects
    Version 1.03
    • Fixed some bugs and typos that were adressed by Unity3D
    Version 1.1
    • Altered the References Transform Inspector so it takes up less space.
      Now shows all buttons constantly.
      Added "Detach to Root" button that removes the current parent.
      Added "Reset All" button that reset all the values​
    • Added Ese Utility.dll and Ese Utility.xml for code support.
    • Added Ese Logging.dll and Ese Logging.xml for code support.
    • Added a console with some generic console and extension possibilities.
    Version 1.2
    • Made the toolbox compatible with Unity 3.4
    • Improved the References Transform Inspector so that it shows all deactivated Gameobjects as well as using a recursive method to find every reference possible. Improved the look of the buttons, so that they display tooltips and are context sensitive.
    • Refreshing the references is now manually done with the press of a button.
    • The ESE Console now prints out UnityEngine.Debug log messages.
    • Added console command named clear/reset to clear the console of its messages.
    • Find Script Objects now finds scripts on the prefab children.
    • Find Layer Objects now finds the layers on the prefab children.
    • Removed duplicate code in Find Script Objects and Find Layer Objects.
    • Added context menu to Transform for all the buttons that is added to the Transform Inspector, while also adding a new command that will let you copy and paste all the components on a GameObject.
    • Added new Editor Window called "Find References" which will show you scene and prefab references for a selected GameObject.
    Version 1.21
    • Fixed a bug where the Reference Transform Inspector would print errors to the console if you had an script in your scene that contained a non-serializable field.
    • Changed the shortcut in Replace Layer from Shift + Ctrl + Y to Ctrl + Shift + Y
    • Changed the shortcut in Show References from Shift + Ctrl + R to Ctrl + Shift + R
    • Fixed the order of the menu items in Window/Ese Logic/
    • Updated the readme.
    Version 1.3
    • Really fixed the bug where the Reference Transform Inspector would print errors to the console, because it was not a serializable field that was causing it. It was a lack of a null check. Showing references that are not serialized is back in :) (Thanks to PebbleBug @ http://www.pebblebug.com/)
    • Reference Transform Inspector now shows all references, not only GameObjects and Transforms. It also displays the corrent icons.
    Version 1.32
    • Copy Field shortcut has been altered to Ctrl + Shift + O, so that it does not overwrite the shortcut key for the Unity Console.
    Version 1.4
    • Fixed an error with the Reference Transform Inspector that would cause Unity to lock up because of endless recursion.
    • Moved all the console scripts out of the Ese Logging DLL and into Editor/Console.
    Version 1.41
    • Republished the toolbox because it was previously published with the beta-release so users with the original release could not purchase it.
    Version 1.5
    • Added a new tool called "Rearrange Scripts", which lets you do excactly that. Rearrange your own scripts on a selected gameobject.
    • Fixed a bug in copy components that would not allow it to copy fields or properties that were private. Private variables can be shown in the inspector by using the [SerializeField] attribute.
    • Fixed a bug in copy components where it would break if you tried to copy a component that had a property in it with a private set or get.
    • Added a new context menu item to the transform that removes all components so you can easily clean out a gameobject.
    • Added scene view functionality so that you can move selected items by holding ctrl+shift and clicking the left mouse button somewhere in the scene.
    • Added scene view fucntionality so that you can also copy selected items and move them to the mouse cursos in one click by holding ctrl+shift and pressing the right mouse button somewhere in the scene.
    • Fixed a bug in the Reference Inspector where the textfield would get deselected when changing to or from zero.
    Version 2.0
    • Added support for Unity 3.5 in addition to Unity 3.4.
    • Added a new tool called "Find Objects" that lets you specify layer, tag, component and scripts you want to search for as well as where you want to search.
    • Added a new context menu item called "Find Similar Object" that will launch the "Find Objects" window with the currently selected gameobjects settings.
    • Added a new menu item to the transform context menu called "Copy transform path to clipboard" to make it easier to use transform.Find(string childPath).
    • Added Animation Inspector so you can more easily see which animations are being played.
    • Added a SceneView toolbar that lets you swap scenes quickly.
    • Added a preferences window where you can toggle functionality on and off.
      Fixed the Show References Inspector so that it now correctly shows all hidden references as well as references from generic lists.
    • Fixed a bug where Pasted Components would behave weirdly and overwrite values in the originally copied component.
    • Fixed support for Console auto complete and iterating through old commands.
    • Removed "Find Layer Objects" and "Find Script Objects"
    Version 2.5
    • Added Prefab Toolbar
    • Added Project Toolbar
    • Added Custom inspectors for all three toolbars with utility buttons.
    • Added customization options to the Transform Inspector. Simply create a static method that takes in an array of Transforms and add the TransformInspectorGUI attribute to it and all the gui in the method will appear under the transform inspector as well as have an option to toggle it on or off in the preferences.
    • Fixed a bug where it would throw an Exception if you tried to open the Animation states while there was no clips attached.
    • Fixed a bug where it would display errors when using the PrefabUtility.
    • Fixed a bug in the console so that it caps the amount of debug lines it shows to 100.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. Skjalg

Skjalg

major updates on the way. preparing a release now...

5. Skjalg

Skjalg

Version 1.2 RELEASED

6. mehware

mehware

Brilliant

7. Skjalg

Skjalg

Version 1.3 on its way on the asset store

8. Skjalg

Skjalg

Version 1.4 is already on the asset store. Enjoy!

9. angel_m

angel_m

The last update says Unity 3.4.1 is needed, but it is not released.

10. 3Duaun

3Duaun

same problem with the 3.4.1 message displaying, and not allowing a purchase of the asset.

11. psyclone

psyclone

Same here.. But unable to update

12. 3Duaun

3Duaun

:-( Unity staff wont even give an ETA for 3.4.1 release(though it could be soon, who knows)

13. psyclone

psyclone

The thing is there properly isn't anything in the code that needs more than 3, it just happens to be the version the author was using

14. MrDude

MrDude

Actually, that is incorrect. The author has no control over the version number. That is set by the Asset Store itself. I assumed it always defaults to the latest version but if you say 3.4.1 and 3.4.1 has not been released yet then that must mean it is due any day now. Still stupid to demand a version that is not available yet, though... Chalk it up to human error, but yeah, the author has no control over the version number...

15. Skjalg

Skjalg

I am terribly sorry that I did not catch this sooner guys. I have reuploaded a new version with unity 3.4! I am supposed to be notified when someone posts here, so that I can respond quickly, but there must be something wrong with the unity forums (or I am subscribing wrong).

The reason it displayed that it required version 3.4.1 of unity was because I recently joined the beta program with unity and uploaded the latest version of the ese toolbox with the beta build. (I didn't think it would be a problem, but clearly it is). I will ensure that this does not happen again.

Sorry for all the confusion, but hopefully a version uploaded with the standard 3.4 build will be online soon.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  16. 3Duaun

3Duaun

thanks for the fix @Skjalg, purchase time ;-)!

17. Skjalg

Skjalg

Np, its the least I could do.

I have made a couple of new tools, just making sure theres no bugs in them, but stay tuned for the 1.5 release :)

18. 3Duaun

3Duaun

the Copy Components feature is a BIG timesaver, thank you.

19. Skjalg

Skjalg

np, with the 1.5 release the "copy components"-feature is a little bug fixed and upgraded + I added a "delete all components" menu item as well just for completeness.

+ a couple of other stuff :)

20. 3Duaun

3Duaun

1.5 you say.... any ETA on a release date?

21. Skjalg

Skjalg

this week most likely :)

22. Skjalg

Skjalg

As promised, the 1.5 release has been uploaded and pending review by Unity.

23. FrieChamp

FrieChamp

It's up! Moving selected objects quickly by holding ctrl+shift and clicking where I want them to be placed definitely comes in handy. Sandbox has something similar and I had really missed that! Well, not anymore! :)

24. Skjalg

Skjalg

Once 3.5 ships I will have a huge update for you guys.

25. Airship

Airship

Looking forward to this!

26. Skjalg

Skjalg

As promised, now that 3.5 is out I have a HUGE update for you guys, its currently pending review from Unity but should hopefully be up soon :)
    Version 2.0
    • Added support for Unity 3.5 in addition to Unity 3.4.
    • Added a new tool called "Find Objects" that lets you specify layer, tag, component and scripts you want to search for as well as where you want to search.
    • Added a new context menu item called "Find Similar Object" that will launch the "Find Objects" window with the currently selected gameobjects settings.
    • Added a new menu item to the transform context menu called "Copy transform path to clipboard" to make it easier to use transform.Find(string childPath).
    • Added Animation Inspector so you can more easily see which animations are being played.
    • Added a SceneView toolbar that lets you swap scenes quickly.
    • Added a preferences window where you can toggle functionality on and off.
      Fixed the Show References Inspector so that it now correctly shows all hidden references as well as references from generic lists.
    • Fixed a bug where Pasted Components would behave weirdly and overwrite values in the originally copied component.
    • Fixed support for Console auto complete and iterating through old commands.
    • Removed "Find Layer Objects" and "Find Script Objects"

27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great ! l, I look forward to the new version

28. Lypheus

Lypheus

Trying this in 3.5f and after copying some components get the error stack below. I'm using ESE to try an copy over some scripts that are setup on one model to another.

An asset is marked as dont save, but is included in the build:
    Asset: 'Assets/Resources/PlayerCreator.prefab'
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Building - Failed to write file: resources.assets
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Error building Player: Couldn't build player because of unsupported data on target platform.

29. Skjalg

Skjalg

Contact me on skype (skjalgsm), I need more info to look at that. It looks like you are getting that error when trying to make a build? Are you sure it was the copying of components that broke it for you?

edit;
    Also the new version is not out on the asset store afaik, its still pending.

30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

2.0 version now on the asset store

I do get some error when importing in unity 3.5, see screenshot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  31. Skjalg

Skjalg

Thats odd, I am sure I wrapped that stuff in preprosessor flags..

Looks like I gotta do another update then...

32. angel_m

angel_m

Can be used ESE Toolbox to find all scripts containing a determined function?

33. Skjalg

Skjalg

A new release is pending at unity.
    This feature adds the ability to add custom gui to the transform inspector.

I have fixed the errors that was shown here (thank you), and tested this release on both 3.4 and 3.5.

And to answer your question angel_m, no. Not at the moment. But its something I could add.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  34. Skjalg

Skjalg

Changes are live. All feedback welcome :)

35. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm, hey Skjalg,

Ever since I have downloaded ESE Toolbox, Unity Editor slows down considerably. Is anyone else having this problem besides me? Everytime I click on a new gameObject, the beachball comes up and I have to wait for like 15 seconds. I deleted the asset, and all those problems go away...

36. homeros

homeros

Maybe try it on an empty project and see if it has a problem with your assets.

37. KEMBL

KEMBL

Your problem like this, try to make web build directory in project dir, I had problem just like yours and solve it by this way.

38. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

I have the latest version of ESE and Unity.
    I create a new scene and drop in the Console prefab.
    I can bring up the Console, and see the echoed debug text.
    I can't enter commands though ? The input field seems to get focus but no input is accepted.
    Am I missing something?

39. Skjalg

Skjalg

jrricky:
    How many gameobjects do you have in your scene? The biggest performance hit is the References in the Transform inspector. Try toggling that off in the preferences and see if that helps.
    PrvtHudson:
    I cant reproduce this. Hit me up on skype (skjalgsm) to debug your problem.

40. Trinda

Trinda

Getting an issue with this also. Latest ESE/Unity (Free), new project.
    Using the console prefab, I can open the console, but am unable to see any input.
    If I type anything, nothing shows up in the text box, if I hit enter, I see a red square on the left side of the console window.

Screenshot of what I'm getting. http://i.imgur.com/MOMus.png

41. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

does it work on a Mac?

42. crafTDev

crafTDev

Upgrading to Unity 4 brings this error:

Can you urgently fix please?

43. angel_m

angel_m

+1

44. striche

striche

45. JGriffith

JGriffith

46. Mauri

Mauri

I personally don't expect to see support for this tool any longer.. sadly..
    The creators of Pirates of the Horizont (Exit Strategy Entertainment) went bankruptcy (?) last year and Skjalk was one of the creators: http://www.exitstrategyentertainment.com/ponh/?p=466

47. crafTDev

crafTDev

Damn...Let me see if I can get in touch with them. This is editor breaking...