Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RageSpline - 2D Vector Graphics for Unity - v1.1 RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Jun 30, 2011.

1. keely

keely

Asset Store link

Price: $75

Features list:
    • Generate 2D vector graphics inside Unity Editor with bézier splines
    • Fully adjustable colors and gradients + emboss styling
    • Multi-texturing with easy texture positioning
    • Automatic physics collider generation with BoxCollider and MeshCollider options
    • Adjustable vertex count for visuals and physics.
    • Grid snapping gizmo for accurate drawing
    • Good peformance on iOS/Android
    • RageSpline API for run-time code access
    • Two game templates included: Top-down Game and Physics Game
    • Fully working example game included: Uphill Rage
    Official website: Ragespline.com

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. DavidB

DavidB

Wow keep us updated when this is accepted. All I can say is.... I was tempted to buy this earlier...... but after seeing how refined this package has become... you've definitely got a customer the second I can figure out what sorta project to use this on.

Really quality work here, you've set the bar as far as unity packages go.

3. Alienchild

Alienchild

Congratulations on the release!

4. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Hi keely, well I know I am going to use it after I got some other learning stuff out of the way, so am I as well buy it now :) So I did! :)
    I am sure I'll be happy with it

5. robin_notts

robin_notts

Can't wait. I've been watching development very patiently. Well done for getting it out there. (v1.0 user)

6. iisjreg

iisjreg

...gutted...

I won't be able to - I really can't justify either price this week, just as I'm starting a new job..... BUT I will definitely get it in the near future for another project!

Well done keely

7. p6r

p6r

Like robin_notts, I have been watching developement patiently too. I can't wait to test the 1.1 version...

Thanks keely and other testers,
    6R

8. outtoplay

outtoplay

Just purchased, stil version 1.0 Been itching to do a project with this setup. Keely, do we get Welcome Aboard drinks?

9. keely

keely

Unfortunately the logistics of delivering drinks around the world is something I don't have resources for, but I think I'm going to raise my toast personally if there is one more sale today. It's now 249 total RageSpline users.

10. outtoplay

outtoplay

That... would be a plugin to invest in.

11. keely

keely

It's live now

12. keely

keely

There is a bug if you update on top of RageSpline v1.0.

It seems I used a script called CameraFollow in the old RageCar and also in the new Uphill Rage. This creates a conflict.

Change name of the script file in the Uphill Rage:

/RageSpline/Example Game - Uphill Rage/CameraFollow.cs
    /RageSpline/Example Game - Uphill Rage/CameraFollow2.cs

And change name of the class in the code like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class CameraFollow2 : MonoBehavior (

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  13. matis1989

matis1989

new version is awesome:) one question on you. how can I create object with stripes? I found texture, I change material on RageSpline/Texture alpha but how can I use two colors on outline or fill? Can I use it in my own style or I must customize your Power2Style for my design? And last think when I select GameObject with Rage Spline script on it and I start moving(middle mouse button) in editor it is too lagy. When unselect and move in editor everething is ok. I hope you understand me.
    Thank you for answer and sorry for my bad english.

14. keely

keely

First of all, the "style" doesn't bring any new features. It's just when you want to have many things with same style, you use it. For example you have 50 palm trees and you want to change their color with one click.

You can get the stripes by making a material which uses the "RageSpline/Textured" shader and then drag a striped texture in the new material (like gridtex3 from the top-down game template). Finally you have to drag this new material onto RageSpline objects mesh renderer under "materials".

Unity's texturing/materials/shaders might seem a little complicated, but it's done like that for a good reason.

The lag you mention is probably because you are using style. Select style "none" and you'll get faster response. I'm trying to optimize the speed on styles with later updates.

15. matis1989

matis1989

I play with styles because after update from store all my objects are blured, have less colliders and so on but it is ok. I was triing that about textures but that dont work for me now I need play with that more. When I select none style it is faster but not much any way thank you for advice. What about that two colors Outline? How can I do that? I have just one color for Outline and Fill.:)

16. keely

keely

You have to select outline gradient = default or outline gradient = inverse and for the fill you select fill mode gradient.

You can try to find answers from ragespline.com/docs too.

17. keely

keely

Submitted v1.1.2 update where I fixed the FollowCamera.cs conflict with old v1.0

There was also nasty scaling bug: If you changed your scale to zero by hand (and you do this often if you type in values), things went bad and you even lost your shape :( Well it's fixed now.

18. keely

keely

One thing that also makes it really slow is if you use physics=boxed and create physics in editor=checked, then it really lags.

You should take the "create physics in editor" off, because you don't really need to see the colliders in editor unless you want to tweak them somehow.

19. ForrestX

ForrestX

1)Would it be possible to modify a shape at runtime by moving visual control points on the iphone?
    2)Can I collapse the shape to a simple mesh?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  20. keely

keely

It's possible and I've done it with Ragecube iPhone builds with smooth 60fps.

However my shape is simple. I haven't tested performance when modifying multiple complex shapes run-time. Should be ok, but if I had to guess you can't have physics colliders animated run-time too. That's just too much for iPhone. If you just stick to changing visible mesh, then it should be ok, but ofc there are limits. Just don't know where they are.

I might do some kind of benchmarking now that I finally got v1.1 shipped and have more time.

21. ForrestX

ForrestX

is an example for doing that, included in the package?

22. keely

keely

None of the examples really do animation like that, sorry. Uphill rage has procedural landscape which changes the shape (and physics too) every few seconds, and it uses same function calls you would use with smoother animation, but I guess that's not directly what you were after.

I'm releasing examples on how to use RageSpline API to build shapes, modify colors and animate them run-time, once I get the ragespline.com finally launched.

23. keely

keely

MaDDoX is doing a RageSpline add-on called RageTools which is going to include animation at some point. You might want to ask him about performance and all that. Here is his latest post from the old thread that discusses something about animation.

24. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Congratz on the release Keely :) RageTools animator component is already functional. For simpler shapes it worked amazingly well, for complex shapes with spread-apart control points sometimes the results didn't look very good - albeit performance was surprisingly good in every case after some optimizations I did, I got 60+ FPS in the editor. To improve the distortion problems I've found, I will add support for in- and out-control handle detection for the "magnets" that you use to deform and animate the shapes, but it shouldn't take too long to do. The whole beauty of the system is that it allows you to use the regular Unity animation clips system, with all its curve-tweaking power.

Right now what's taking me the most development time is the improvement of the SVG importer, the #1 request I get from users. I've successfully done a huge revamp in the system to add support to groups, rectangles and circles (including transforms) and now I've stumbled on a problem with the XML parser I'm using. Hopefully I'll get past it during the weekend. I don't have any release date for RageTools yet, but I'm doing my best to get it to beta stage at the end of the month - fingers crossed :)

PS.: Keely, I've posted another question in the old thread by mistake, could you reply it here? Thx!

25. keely

keely

You wouldn't have a way to test run your stuff on iPhone? If you send me something I could test on iOS too.

Very nice that you can use the Unity animator! I just found out few days ago that such a thing actually exists. None of my earlier projects really needed animation (driving games etc) or I've used plain code or iTween to do stuff like that.

26. keely

keely

I answered with private message (you might not notice again :)

27. keely

keely

RageSpline has now sold 250 units total.

I'll drink to that.

Thanks to everyone! I'll do my best to keep RageSpline going forward and upward!

28. Acumen

Acumen

So that means you can make it free to play now ?
    Sry, had to be done ;)

Grrrr, have to play with this as soon as possible. If only I could clone programmers :eek:

Btw, why is there no huge link to your product on the first page. I had to search for 1 minute until I had access !

29. p6r

p6r

Just have updated RageSpline. Great !

Impossible to reach your website ragespline.com : Need a password and username !?!
    Could you help me please ???

6R

30. Acumen

Acumen

Btw, the variable outline width is such a great addition, I wish it would be possible to change it without having to move the selection a tiny bit. Just select, press K/L and then it should scale accordingly. Cause as it is now, is a tad sloppy, imo. Just doesn't feel precise and I'm Mr. Monk when it comes to these things.
    Obviously copy and paste around the coordinates seems not like the most intuitive way of achieving this effect.

31. keely

keely

The website was down awhile when we moved the code from another server. The site is up now.

http://ragespline.com

The content is currently lacking but I will work on it in the following days and weeks.

32. keely

keely

33. DavidB

DavidB

Bought Ragespline... haven't had much time to toy around with it... but it looks absolutely fantastic. I didn't realize the characters your prototypes demonstrate were actually drawn with Ragespline!

Can't wait to play with it more, thanks for the release!

34. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Before I jump right in, I want to see the noobie video's being released. They should help out with my approach to it.

35. coolpowers

coolpowers

Congrats on the update. I still have some non-Unity stuff to wrap up but I look forward to working with Ragespline again soon.

36. p6r

p6r

Thanks keely. I could read your wonderful and attractive website...

6R

37. keely

keely

You shouldn't have to move. It should work already by select and K/L.

Atleast if I'm taking one of the prefabs, drag it to scene, select point and push L or K down it works correctly. It's a little slow but it works.

Some objects, like the stuff in the Physics Game template, have so narrow outline width (0.2), that they are very slow in growing with the variable width multiplier visually. This is because most of the visual width comes from the anti-aliasing band (0.5) and only the outline part grows.

38. keely

keely

We currently have a series called "RageSpline 101" coming. I'm trying to get "part 1" into youtube/website today. John has already shot 6 parts of the series and more to come. This series is aimed for the very beginner. The first part will be just "how to setup the camera" and "how to import ragespline".

39. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Do you have any idea if this will also support somehow the importing of vector clipart ?

40. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Great great. This will help even more for the adoption of RageSpline. Keep 'er growing!

41. Acumen

Acumen

Great to see this videos lined up. I just can't came around the multitexturing part.
    And that is the only thing missing in the documentation. Cause the documentation itself answers each and every question one could have !
    Very nice job on that side !

Also you were right about the K/L sizing thing. Works like it should :)

42. keely

keely

Username MaDDoX is doing RageSpline SVG importing tool called RageTools and as far as I know he is very close to releasing it. However, it will be separate product with separate price. You can find him discussing the tool in the old RageSpline thread.

I'm sure he will answer all your questions if you have any.

43. keely

keely

There seems to be some problem with video encoding. The mouse goes like 1 fps. I'm trying to fix this.

44. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Exactly, Ragetools will support both Illustrator and the free Inkscape as Vector editors for RageSpline, through their SVG format exporters. A wide range of standard vector settings are flawlessly imported, like transparency, layering and outline width. I've got a complex vector art from 24pfilms which is helping me to fine tune and enhance the importer, I expect it to be production ready in few weeks. There's much more to RageTools though, you can read more about it in the original thread.

45. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Awesome work MaDDox very stoked to see this working for complex vector objects.

46. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Here are some options.http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilities-roundups/10-screen-recording-tools-for-mac/
    I have used screenflow and it works well. Also something I notice to is the audio is distorted.

47. keely

keely

Yeah audio is a little distorted in this first one, because it got clipped while recording, but John adjusted levels after that. We didn't think it was that bad that we needed to retake this.

Also the fps is fine in the original clip and plays nicely on quicktime, but when I'm importing to Adobe Premiere or any video converter, it thinks it has 1 fps. I found some video forums where they say that if quicktime video starts with a still image, it F***s up the frame rate to 1fps. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it.

edit: ok found atleast one converter which gets it out as working fps AVI

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  48. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

If you have After Effects export it out of that. The distortion for rev 1 no big deal, just something to be aware of for future...I make my living as a filmmaker/editor so those things stick out to me;)

49. keely

keely

I mean John gives me quicktime files which seem to import into both AE and premiere as 1fps, altough they play correctly in the player. He could try capturing with other software, but since we already captured lot of stuff, it's kind of not option.

I seem to found a converter now that does nice xvid AVIs from those quicktime videos with very high bitrates and quality seems ok when imported to AE or premiere.

50. keely

keely

So here is the first video from the "RageSpline 101" series. I have fixed the framerate problems.

You can leave some feedback to youtube if you want. I'm sure John will appreciate!