Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity not working on Evo3D and Sensation? Battleheart, Trial Extreme, and Samurai 2

Discussion in 'Android' started by Dan Fury, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Hi everyone,
    I just heard over at Androidforums.com, that Unity doesn't run on these devices without a freeze. Madfinger was forced to pull Samurai 2 for these devices and that seemed to have happened to Battleheart before.
    Please talk about such problems, when you encounter them. As a Unity license holder I check in here daily and it is kind of scary to hear from raging consumers, that your game engine has a bug for at least the last 4 weeks on the hottest devices on the market and nobody who encountered it said something, instead everyone quietly drops support for the best devices from one of the biggest manufacturers.

It took a while, before we figured out the Galaxy S 30 MB Limit etc., but it is not ok that I heard about this problem by chance on a official forum and not here where it belongs. Here is the thread, where a bunch of angry consumers are crucifying Madfinger for pulling the game: http://androidforums.com/android-games/364036-samurai-ii-vengeance-pulled-e3d-sensation.html

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Dreamora

Dreamora

2 weeks on the hottest device that is not existant outside of Vodafone, keep that mind in mind. Until later next month, Vodafona has western globally locked it down from any other distribution path due to an exclusive contract with HTC.

Also the GPU is new and the drivers totally untested due to that so nobody can be crucified for the Android driver syndrom aside of HTC which did again not put their stuff through realistic testing on the market place top 100 as on each OS update for the other devices too and fixing the issues, they care that the device works, not that it works compliant to android standards

Its unfavorable, no question, but get used to it, its Android.
    There is a reason why EA has device checks in their games locking out new devices for an eternity, I'm still waiting to play Sims 3 on my Galaxy S2 for example

3. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

I don't have a problem with the device not being supported yet, since Unity and Qualcomm are partners I'm sure it will get fixed soon, I just wish that people would talk more about these matters here.
    Everybody is really active in discussions when there are problems with 3rd party ad integration or other monetization problems, but when a problem arises with a device, it takes too long until it is common knowledge that there is a compatibility problem. If everybody just ticks off the compatibility to the device on the publishing site when a support request comes in, it will just hurt Unity.

I rarely hear about support requests here, but I'm sure Mika mobile, Madfinger and Galapagos had at least a dozen people contacting them, who wanted to know why their bought games don't work. All I'm asking is that people talk more about these problems, because if one Unity game has problems on a device, probably all games will run into similar problems on this hardware sooner or later.

4. gambit

gambit

Being that the EVO 3d just came out I don't think a lot of people can talk to much about it. I am still waiting for the EVO 3d my self and was told it wouldent be out till the begining of July.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unsure if they have that many support requests. Keep the automatic refund time period in mind, if people find it to not work, its just refunded with a few clicks.

Also a few dozen is nothing, thats insifignicant enough to ignore business wise as a few dozen on a few ten thousand to a 6 figure user number is not significant in any way.
    Its also not to expect that either of the two devices will gain any reasonable install base or become a leader like the desire, the 4-6 devices / year route HTC has been going is preventing that by definition already (without considering that most that could be interesting are locked in with their HTC desire from last year till 2012). And as mentioned, till next week or even some weeks later its vodafone lock in if you want to get the Sensation at all

and if you consider it, you talk about it with UT directly or on the beta lists, not here where it has no meaning other than bragging which is the most worthless form of timewaste if you have an issue to solve or the situation to handle

6. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

I'm already blocking a lot of devices on the market, what's 2 more? :p

Seriously though, there's not much I can do besides block new hardware when I find out it isn't compatible. I didn't think to run here and start posting about it, but I guess the community at large ought to know. I know the guys at Unity are aware of the issue, I'm sure they'll address it if and when they can, so you needn't lose any sleep over it.

7. gambit

gambit

K just got done talking to the Sprint store and I pick mine up tomarrow. They also told me there was a spider man 3d app that comes with it, but they have been having problems with that app. So it would be safe to say that there is gona be some upgrades to the EVO 3d.

8. Vanquished

Vanquished

Hopefully that statement is true. Whether or not HTC is incompetent is irrelevant since other developers have game engines running flawlessly on the MSM8x60/Adreno 220 while games based off of the Unity engine are not. I'm sure there are improvements that can be made on both ends of the spectrum here.

9. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

I can't speak on behalf of the Unity developers by any means, but I know for a fact this issue is on their radar. Whether it turns out to be a simple fix or a catastrophic, unfixable problem is anyone's guess, but they have a pretty good track record. I don't think there's cause for alarm, nor can I really blame them for not being 100% future proof when the android platform is a constantly moving target.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sounds like Android is an incredibly fustrating experience for sellers.

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

most of those engines also run worse to much worse than Unity though or have only 1 title to support not beyond a thousand potentially of any genre. its easier to fix an engine for exactly one case than for any case.
    it also allows very fast fixing within days as fixes to unity require much more indepth testing to not break the other XXXX games.

So if your need and desire is to be always up to date, you will have to write your own and pay your own set of engine architects and engineers to fullfill that target ...
    But if you are fine with waiting until UT has found the issue, tested the fix and then deploying it, I think its a great place cause UT is pretty surely going to fix it if its fixable and not on behalf of broken drivers only where HTC has to fix it (I doubt you will see a "break unity" to comply to something thats broken out of the box - Galaxy S on Android 2.1 had a broken os too that was up to samsung to fix, happened in 2.2 and thats what unity requires to run on galaxy s), so primarily a matter of time less of if :)

12. superman_legendary

superman_legendary

I like the engine can't wait to see if this gets fixed. I really think its good for developers and users as a whole, only problem is if something goes wrong the actual developer of an app using Unity can't really do anything. Loving the EVO 3D so powerful but I like a lot of the Unity Engine games so hope there's a fix soon. Guess I'll be playing all my 3D gameloft games till then.

13. Vanquished

Vanquished

I appreciate the responses, and I hope I'm not sounding hostile in anyway. I do appreciate what developers do and what Unity has allowed developers to accomplish on multiple platforms. It does get somewhat frustrating though when everyone points their finger at someone else when it's possibly a problem on their end as well (non of your previous posts showed any indication that UT was actually looking into the problem, but that everything was in the hands of HTC).

14. superman_legendary

superman_legendary

Yeah I've test a ton tested of games all with the Unity Engine freeze at some point. Those without it run flawlessly. The Unity Engine needs a fix for EVO 3D Sensation, but then we have to wait on updates. I'm scared some wont anytime soon unless its easy considering half don't seem to be worrying about reviews.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  15. superman_legendary

superman_legendary

So many Unity apps getting bad reviews from EVO 3D/Sensation owners complaining about freeze its not even funny. Most don't know its the engine not the developer. Never knew so many games used Unity almost every ios game.

16. demize2010

demize2010

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it doesn't seem possible to locate Evo3D devices in the market back end?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  17. legion

legion

Got the same problem, we had to block it on our Android games so far.

18. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

The op is suggesting we commumicate when we know a device doesn't work with Unity. I don't understand why someone would disagree with that idea or shoot it down by saying that's just how Android is.

Here's a thought: how about a thread for Android devices that do not work with Unity? We have a thread for devices that work, and that helped developers buy a device that will work with Unity, but it seems a list of devices that won't work will help avoid bad reviews on the market.

19. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

I took a stab at a threadhere.

20. conedog

conedog

How does one exclude the Evo 3d? In market.android.com, I was able to manually exclude the Sensation (it's listed as HTC Sensation Z710e), but don't see a corresponding entry for the evo 3d.

21. superman_legendary

superman_legendary

As a EVO 3D user would appreciate greatly :) If some one from Unity would give us an update of what's going on with the situation. I've beaten several games already on EVO 3D that doesn't use Unity not one freeze but every Unity game freezes at some point some worse than others. Trial Xtreme being the least crashy so far just crash when selecting next level sometimes so far. EVO 3D having the best hardware confirmed this year on Sprint (I'm sure will be there bestseller also) means this would be bad for everyone if someone doesn't work to fix it, it should immediately fix Sensation too since both use same processor/gpu. Btw no games lag period on the device just a random freeze/crash

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  22. colargol

colargol

I tried to exclude this: HTC - PG86100 (shooter)
    "shooter" seems to be old name for Evo 3D:
    http://pocketnow.com/android/sprints-htc-evo-3d-gets-its-wifi-certification

23. conedog

conedog

24. superman_legendary

superman_legendary

Ignore the little guy....

25. Vanquished

Vanquished

And the blame game continues. :)

From HTC:

"I understand how important it is to be have all the latest features and software available for your device. We cannot say if and when an update may be released in regards to how the phone handles third party software. In most cases it is up to the developers of such software to adapt to different phones that they want to see their software on. Most likely since these are such new phones developers are having trouble as appropriate source codes and program information has not been released yet to work with. They are welcome to keep an eye out on our developer support site developer.htc.com for more information"

I don't understand why they can't release the source code for the kernals...doesn't seem like uploading a file to their developer site should be that hard.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  26. agentsmith

agentsmith

I'm having the same problem with my game in the Android Market "Demolitious Lite" with Evo 3D. Unfortunately, I don't have access to other types of phones to test it with. I will say that I'm using Unity 3.4.0f2 which fixed the Splash Screen bug when using Open GL ES 1.x (i had to use Open GL ES 2.x for it to work) and the "Trying to locate java.exe..." (where you had to manually kill the process in the task manager). Also in my build settings I have it set to Android 2.0.1 "Eclair". I did run a test build where I used "Android Froyo v2.2" binaries and Open GL ES v1.0 but it still froze.

27. Vanquished

Vanquished

The latest update you guys made seemed to fix the problem with the Adreno 220, thanks for putting the time in! So far Battleheart, Samurai II: Vengeance, Guerilla Bob and Cordy have all been updated and work flawlessly. =)

28. agentsmith

agentsmith

@vanquished- isnt EVO3D using adreno 220? A buddy of mine has one and is reportung freezes and lock ups still. Can you confirm Evo3D is working?

29. Vanquished

Vanquished

I've been playing Samurai II: Vengeance quite a bit and it hasn't frozen once. There was one graphical glitch that occured for a little while, but it stopped. When an enemy archer would shoot an arrow, anything to the right of an arrow was followed by a gray box on that side of the screen until the arrow hit the target (your character) or went off the screen. Here is a mock-up screen shot sort of what it looked like:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/362350-tested-games-e3d-3.html#post2962364

Guerilla Bob runs fine, but it too still has some graphical glitches with the splash screens.
    http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/362350-tested-games-e3d-2.html#post2954688

I've been told that Battleheart has not crashed at all (I don't own it so I couldn't tell you myself). I've been told that Mika Mobile's other game, Zombieville USA, still has some crashing problems, though not for everyone.

The games that I bought and have been updated (SV and GB) have not crashed on me, but have those little glitches I mentioned above (which I can live with). I'm assuming there may be a few kinks that may need to be worked out still.

If you want to send* me a your "lite" version of the app I can give it a whirl and see what happens. In fact, if anyone wants to test any games on these new devices I'm willing to help. I've done quite a bit of beta testing on and off for mobile companies over the past 10 years.

*email: us_navy_seal_58@msn.com

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  30. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

From Unity 3.4 release notes:

Fixed deadlock problem on multi-core Snapdragon based devices (e.g. HTC Sensation / HTC Evo3D) where most applications would hang.