Unity Community

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Los Angeles
    About Apress, that's what I thought.

The offer stands.
    Follow your Dreams, You may find your Purpose in Life.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

2. Location
    Nevada City(Sierra Foothills) California
    Sue
    Thanks for the reply and attention.............!
    I think I have managed to get the files and folders up to Chapter 06_CursorContro saved on my system now.............I am trying another download now. When I try to unzip what I have downloaded using WinRAR I have to select Repair Archive to get anything at all usable.
    I have learned how to play with Half Life 2 characters and animations in Unity which helps me use additional animations. I have no intention of using them in anything to release but have applied them into LocomotionSystem and also HeadLookController. Makes for interesting fun!
    You will find the tuts on 3d Buzz work on the Camera controls to modify the camera positions determined by determining if the camera view of the third person character is blocked by objects between your player camera and solid objects in the way.Also when the view of the character is blocked the camera is placed into a free view position until the view is cleared again by the player movement.
    I also play around with Torque 3d and found it to be a fairly nice game engine also.
    I have tried to find other people in my area that have an interest in this type of computer applications but so far have been on my own! I found your book at Barnes and Noble and knew it was what I was looking for! Thanks Sue..........

Ron

I am running HP AMD Athlon 64X Dual core processor 4200+ with 3 GB Ram TB HD+ drive space running Windows XP Media Center , and my internet connection is DigitalPath Rural Internet Service Plan Download speed up to 3000 K and Upload speed up to 1000K. During the download my connection is showing between 60KB/sec and 106 KB/sec. The largest download I have managed so far from Apress is 673MB.
    I have emailed Apress and they responded as per attached:
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The download should work, the file is big, it could take couple of hours to download, but it works. It also depends on the connection you have, and please do not decompress the files while downloading.
    Could you clear the cache/cookies before retrying and/or try another browser, such as firefox and make sure you have a continues connection as it does take hours to get the download done.
    Please let us know which browser (with version) you are using if the problem still exists.
    Thanks

With best regards,
    Web Development Team

3. Location
    Hi again Sue
    My brother in Oakland tried to download the assets with his setup and managed on his first try, so the problem seems to be on my side.
    I will try to visit a friends house with Cable Internet and try from that location and hope for the best.
    Ron

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D Junkie View Post
    Re downloads-

the most important files are:
    Scripts_By_Chapter.rar
    BookAssets.rar
    PostPublishEdits.doc
    Sue,

Still am not able to locate the PostPublishEdits.doc in the massive zip file download - is it possible to upload to your website? Thanks.

5. Posts

3.4 JavaScript Issues- Remove private from these vars!

Hi all,

I just finished going through the BookProject Chapter 16 Finished file (the last of the regular project files for the book) and have made a list of the vars that need private removed. Condensing the list of 65 errors was more tedious than doing the actual fixes, but the project works again <whew>. As soon as I can arrange them by chapter, I will add them to the PostPublishEdits.doc and make it available.

GameManager.js:
    showMOCursorChange, 11
    showPointer, 11
    iMode, 11
    navigating, 6
    showActionMsg, 11
    shortDesc, 10
    longDesc, 10
    actionMsg, 10
    inRange, 10
    gridPosition, 12
    replaceElement, 12
    end, 16
    camMatch, 14
    currentInventoryObjects, 12
    actionObjects, 13
    startPos, 12
    playerSettings, 16

GenericStateTracker.js:
    state, 16

MenuManager.js:
    iMode, 16
    menuMode, 16
    overRide, 16
    rollCredits, 16
    base, 16
    end, 16

Interactor.js:
    processing , 9
    iElement, 11
    soundFXVolume, 10

hope that helps!

Sue
    Last edited by 3D Junkie; 08-07-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added chapters where the variables are first introduced

6. Posts
    Hi 3D Junkie ,

Thank you for excellent support.

I downloaded resource 9781430234227.zip for 10 hours before unity3.4 released. Should I download it again now, or just wait for PostPublishEdits.doc ?

Thanks in advance

7. Posts
    Hi Rocky,

I wasn't planning on changing the existing files, but I have been testing them. Just wait for PostPublishEdits.doc (much less painful anyway )

Sue

8. Posts
    Hi Sue, I am having some issues downloading the 3.2 GB file, it would always fail part way into it and I would have to restart and wait for hours again and this has gone on for two days. Is it possible for you to split it up into smaller files or share the files via a third party fire sharing service?

9. Posts
    Hi Pixelrenderer,

Please e-mail Apress- maybe if enough people let them know the files need to be split up, they will do it. Meanwhile, you might want to pm Zoneman...

Sue

10. Location
    Hi Sue
    I finally got all the assets loaded at a friends house using her Cable Modem setup.
    I noted the same errors private Var caused Chapter 8 Finished Project running under Unity 3.4 to have compiler errors.
    In GameManager.js I changed one line : private Var navigating : boolean; changed to Var navigating : boolean; and then that final chapter seems to work.
    I just happened to stumble onto it and then tried other Chapters Finals Projects and noted the same sort of errors in lots of places. I haven't gotten far enough into the projects or Java Scripting yet to understand what has changed in Unity Version 3.4 to cause the problem.
    Also when I tried to run Unity 3.4 demo Pro version my editor window did not work correctly and I had to do a search for UniSciTE to use as my java script editor. It had come up with a .Net Framework error prior to doing that.
    Ron
    PS as a note to you what I have seen running on my Laptop under Unity 3 is exactly what I had hoped for in quality and leads me to believe your book is the book that I have been waiting for! A big thanks to you Sue !!!!

11. Posts
    Hi Ron,

Glad all the pain of the huge downloads will be worth it

I did some investigating over the weekend and found that instead of deleting "private", we can substitute "internal" and the vars will not show up in the Inspector

Be sure to check out my post with the variables that need to be changed (a few before this one)

All,

For those of you who are scratching your heads over the JavaScript changes, when you declare (introduce) a variable (a place to store information) , it can be public (can be accessed by everyone- including other apps??? ), var someVariableName, or it can be private (only accessible to that particular script), private var someVariableName. With the old compiler, that information was being lost, so everyone could gain access to a private variable from other scripts.

For our purposes, the only reason we really needed to use "private" was to prevent the variable from showing up in the Inspector if it was one that is always managed internally. By using "internal", we get exactly what we want- the variable does not show up in the Inspector and we can still access it from any of the project's other scripts. It now becomes, internal var someVariableName

If you are using UniSciTE as your script editor, "internal" will not show as bold. If you are using the Mono editor, it will be dark red as per "private" and "var".

Ron, I haven't updated my Pro version yet, so no idea what's up with the mono editor- you may want to post in the general forum. Though after looking at it, I find it visually too messy to look at as far as colors and fonts, so I'll just continue with UniSciTE until I figure out how to change stuff.

Sue

12. Posts

PostPublishEdits file- get it here!

As promised, here is the doc file for all the stuff I found on my final run through of the project after the page proofs were locked down. Most are just little things that you guys can probably figure out on your own, but I did find a couple of things that will prevent stuff from working, so be sure to take a look once you get to chapter 10.

I've also added a new section for the variables that will need to be changed from "private" to "internal" in order for the project to be used in Unity 3.4 with the JavaScript changes. These affect chapter 6 and on. They are listed by the chapters where the variables are first introduced.

I will be updating this doc as needed, so be sure to let me know when you guys find things that need to be added.

thanks,
    Sue

BTW, if any of you prefer the UniSciTE script editor to the Mono editor, it is still included. To change it:
    Edit>Preferences>External Script Editor

It can be found where you installed Unity:
    Unity/Editor/Data/Tools/UniSciTE/UniSciTE.exe
    Attached Files

13. Location
    Thanks Sue
    I had already figured out how to change the editor for Unity 3.4 at least the Pro demo version ; but others may not have been so lucky and am glade you pointed them in the right direction! Also have gone through Chapter 16 and made your corrections by deleting the private statements (haven't tried your latest fix yet) but Chapter 16 in Unity 3.4 Pro demo is now working also. I bumped into the error last night and hit it on Chapter 8 .........which only had one compiler error under GameManager.js for private Var navigating: boolean; after I found that I moved onto different Chapters and started to implement the same corrections ; but not knowing or understanding Java Scripting yet backed away for now. I will get back into the book now and am looking forward to learning more from you Sue....thanks again!
    Ron

14. Posts
    Except for the 3.4 JavaScript issue, the project files should be up to date for the rest of the fixes. I wrote the doc and fixed the project files before uploading everything to the Apress ftp.

Sue

15. Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D Junkie View Post
    Hi Pixelrenderer,

Please e-mail Apress- maybe if enough people let them know the files need to be split up, they will do it. Meanwhile, you might want to pm Zoneman...

Sue
    FYI. I sent Apress an email regarding the download issue

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

16. Location
    Los Angeles
    Hi Sue, Thanks for the extra tech support.
    regarding Mono, I enjoyed the Unitron scripted editor (MAC) it provides direct link to the script reference library( not so good code hinting). Thanks for showing how to get it back.

I just downloaded the ePub version of the book. I looks great. I'll find a nice bed for my big book.
    Last edited by Zoneman; 08-08-2011 at 08:12 PM.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

17. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Having worked through the first 2/3 of the book, I have done a backtrack. I started the first scene of my own project and I am working through the book, but using mostly my own, or I should say assets that are directed towards completing my own game.

The first scene takes place in in a Pi's Office and the goal is to become a private detective. The game is called “Booh and Babbot in the Haunted House of Dracula”. The first person player is Booh, and his companion, Babbot will be appearing with actions for Booh to complete in order to move on to the next scene. There is a lot of work for me.

Here is a link to get more information about the game

http://renaissanceplayer.com/wPress/...oh-and-babbot/

And here is a link to the beginning of the work on the first scene

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/960...k+Sue+Blackman

The Link has been fixed.

Gene Poschman
    Last edited by gposchman; 08-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Gene Poschman
    Author of Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag
    Sample or purchase Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420969
    Web site: http://www.renaissanceplayer.com

18. Posts
    hey Gene, I think the link is wonky-

anyway I posted in the other thread- saw a little issue with the building's geometry.

I've played a few Sam and Max episodes and got a chuckle over the requisite items for a PI's office...hat/coat rack, water cooler, filing cabinets...

you will of course need a waste paper basket with a crumpled clue - I may have just the thing for you

Sue

19. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Sue,

Booh and Babbot are Gentlemen cleaners, Janitors who work in suits. There will be lots of crumpled paper to pick up. Booh is the first person player and Babbot wil be a third person mentor, hounder and provider of irony and humour, I hope. This is where the game will begin, though it is not yet afoot.

Gene
    Gene Poschman
    Sample or purchase Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420969

20. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I have updated the scene a bit, I had some issues with FPS and camera positioning, it should still be a little higher, and the FPS game Object itself. It should be a little more maneuverable now. I added some crates to the one room, and adjusted the wall in the one office so it is a little less flashier at the edges, I have yet to make a completely smooth wall, but I have more important things to work on in the level at this point.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/960...k+Sue+Blackman

I also did some updating on my blog about the game Meet Booh and Babbot

and

The Haunted House of Dracula

Gene Poschman
    Gene Poschman

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast