Unity Community

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

1. Posts
    Hi Gene,

Try the last close lid animation in the Project view. I'm looking into the chapter 7 files now.

Sue

2. Location
    Los Angeles
    Thanx Sue Got it. I found a better connection. I'm good to go now.
    Follow your Dreams, You may find your Purpose in Life.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

3. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Sue,

I ran tests on all the close lid entries, none of them work. I loaded up chapter 7 finished project and ran through it, and it worked fine. Clearly I goofed, but since I can get the key in and out to work as an animation with sound, I am moving forward. I will re visit this later. Thanks for the advice. If you have another idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

I find I get antsy, because much of what I am working through is applicable to the project I want to get started on, but I need to maintain student mode for now, because I am not yet ready to take on the project, but once I am through your book, I figure I will be.

Gene
    Gene Poschman
    Author of Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag
    Sample or purchase Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420969
    Web site: http://www.renaissanceplayer.com

4. Posts
    hi Gene,

Don't always assume it was something you did 3D game engines evolve quickly and with every release there are likely be things that get broken or no longer work the way they used to- if you've worked through any of the older tutorials you'll know what I am talking about. Writing a book for that kind of "moving target" is particularly challenging! The changes in the FBX file format, the remake of the first person controller scripts and handful of things that were suddenly no longer supported or even illegal meant rewriting sometimes whole chapters.

Unity's implementation of imported animation is great for things like characters where you want everything controlled at the root, but if you want all of the animations on a group of related objects to animate independently and choose Store in Nodes, then it generates all those duplicate animation clips which makes it baffling, to say the least. At some point in the book, you will script the option to specify the parent object that holds the animations for all of its children- which then allows you to use the Store in Root option. You are also going to be getting a lot of practice with Unity's own animation editor.

All that being said, I'm going to try to import the chest group into a clean file & see what happens. The earlier chapters were done in an earlier version of Unity and then updated to the version that was current at the time of the book's release, so that could also be the culprit.

I'll report back...

Sue

5. Posts
    Reporting back:

Started a clean file and imported the Animation Objects. Set the animation to Store in Nodes, everything working.

Here's a tip for making Store in Nodes easier to use:
    1- import objects
    2- set to Store in Nodes
    3- drag the object group into Hierarchy
    4- Select each object and click on the loaded default animation for each and write down the position of clip in the Project view

5- create the animation clips in the Inspector
    6- to load the correct clip as default in each of the objects, select the clip in the Animations array so that it highlights in the Project view
    7- drag the identified clip from the Project view directly into the default Animation

As soon as you start adding scripts to the objects, the prefab is broken and resetting the animations gets trickier.

Sue

6. Location
    0, 5000, 0
    I'm about half way through with zero problems, been hopping around here and there but tend to find my way back and start reading through it properly.

I haven't used any of the downloadable assets, the explanation of things is so well done that I'm translating them into things i can do with my own game and applying them directly and it's working great. I really appreciated the scripting chapter and the effort made to assist complete beginners to scripting. I think you've done an excellent job with the book, i'll be writing a positive review when i finish it. I'm actually hoping there will be some more advanced books from you in the future.

7. Location
    Los Angeles
    Zerobounds, Yeah I agree, I'm on chapter 5 and I've be doing the same thing...building as my own assets as I go. I've attached a vehicle to my charactor. As an artist, it's a real joy to start interacting with my own stuff. So far it is working out, because the instructions Sue has provided are so easy to implement. I hope I can implement my own assets threw out the lessons.

If you want a sneakpeek [warning: very cheesy at this point]
    http://www.zonesight.com/UnityDev/eXMars/eXMars.html

I'll be updating regularly… comments welcome.

Yea Sue!!!
    Last edited by Zoneman; 07-05-2011 at 03:45 PM.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

8. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Sue,

Thanks for the follow up. Since I got the Key at lock to work, and the final project in chapter 7 works okay, I am good to go. The scripting works, and that is my main concern. For now, I am interested in character animation, and individual game object animation, and the chapters coming up look very exciting for me.

So when did you give up sleeping?? :>}

Gene
    Gene Poschman
    Sample or purchase Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420969

9. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I have just finished chapter 8, and it suddenly hit me... I should comment that I appreciate the generic way Sue has been handling scripts through out the book... and what lit up for me is that not only is the reader receiving some good scripting techniques, some great insight into Unity 3D, but she is providing the bones for a game engine that is easily replicable into other game types. I suppose I should reread the introduction, because I didn't get it until now. I was preparing myself for some significant effort in setting up state arrays, inventory management, and asset utilization, and Sue has laid the beginning of a solid foundation that will make it easier for me to develop additional games. Well done.

Gene
    Gene Poschman

10. Posts
    Thanks Gene,

And yes, you are beginning to see what the book is really about. It's not about making a first person adventure game- that's just the vehicle for the real guts of the book. It's about learning to analyze need, create systems that cross over into many different genre and end up with scripts that allow you to quickly expand your game, whatever the genre. People who pass by it because they think it's only about making adventure games may be missing out on lots of good stuff!

The temptation with games is to hardcode everything because it seems like the quickest way to do things. But as you start adding more conditions for what the object should do in every situation, it gets out of hand quickly. When you only have a few objects, it's no big deal to go back and change their code. But as your game gets packed full of 'action' objects, it becomes a nightmare to maintain them. Even if you don't reuse the scripts you will have at the end of this book for your own project, I'm betting your approach to writing your own will be vastly different than if you hadn't found the book

-Sue

11. Posts
    Hi Zoneman,

Nice start on the game- I like the feel of the atmosphere and the spacial sense of road and mountains! As to cheesy, it's not. I've seen more games get abandoned because people get hung up on making all the pretty art assets before they even get as far as the basic functionality of the game.

If you are eventually going to let the player get in and out of a vehicle, you will be able to dynamically parent/un-parent the first person controller to that vehicle.There is a tutorial on a car game that will help with setting up a vehicle, http://unity3d.com/support/resources...-tutorial.html.

Sue

12. Location
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Sue, that link to the car game tutorial was exactly what I needed. I hope to be able to combine your framework with Unity's "Penelope" (iOS) tutorial, and the Car tutorial, to make a Mars Explorer type game. I can see everything happening. Implementing the iPhone Touches Events, is going to be a big challenge for me. I did the "joy-pad" controller chapters for the Penelope Tutorial. But it was difficult to grasp. First thing first… I'll complete your book.

BTW my favorite computer game is Cyans Myst. Your book is perfect for what I need.

Update to game: wheel now rotation to movement. Elevator to scaffold
    Last edited by Zoneman; 07-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

13. Location
    Mars (yep there's life, and Unity, on Mars)
    You know what would be cool? If everybody who finishes this book posts a webplayer of the game they made. Just an idea...

14. Location
    Los Angeles
    Rage. Based on what you are saying, I should wait until I complete the book before I post my work.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

15. Location
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneman View Post
    Rage. Based on what you are saying, I should wait until I complete the book before I post my work.
    Or whenever you have something to show. Like a work in progress. What every you think!

16. Location
    Los Angeles
    Rage, that's a cool idea. I think it should have it's own thread. Something like "Beginning 3D Game Dev w/Unity PROJECTS SHOWCASE" If we put links to each others post, may help to create awareness from users.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

17. Location
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneman View Post
    Rage, that's a cool idea. I think it should have it's own thread. Something like "Beginning 3D Game Dev w/Unity PROJECTS SHOWCASE" If we put links to each others post, may help to create awareness from users.
    I like the thread idea! And I'm looking forward to playing the games made with this book.

18. Posts
    I like that idea too!

I'm looking forward to seeing how many people use what they learn in the book on projects that aren't classic point and click adventure games. I'm also curious to see how many people will use the extra assets to get more practice and experiment with other ideas.

But I'm really curious to know how many of you tried the final version of the game (from the chapter 16 folder) or tried the bonus version of the game, or haven't tried either because they want stuff to be a surprise

So - did you peek or are you letting it be a surprise?

-Sue

19. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Sue,
    I am treating it like a mystery, and I never page through to the last page to see who dun it. It should be a real treat.

Gene
    Gene Poschman

20. Location
    Los Angeles
    @ Sue, I did check out the final build [ch 16]. I generally like to check things out to see if things compile with out error [version issues]. I can feel more secure that if something is not working, it's probably correctable on my side.

-Lawrence
    Last edited by Zoneman; 07-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast