Unity Community

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

1. Posts
    News flash!

The assets and e-book are now up on the Apress website, http://www.apress.com/9781430234227

The download is 3.2 GB and includes art assets, finished code by chapter, Unity projects start and finish per chapter, and the post-publish doc file.

-Sue

2. Location
    0, 5000, 0
    very cool, going to order mine today

3. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I purchased the eBook from aPress yesterday and downloaded it. Sue, there is a message about the original PDF using advanced features that are not available in the current download. I do not know what they are or if they matter, they haven't so far, I am on page 114.

I have read the reviews of this book and I intend to write a full review at Amazon and aPress, but I decided to write a running review here as I am going through the book.

The first hundred pages.

I like Sue Blackman's prose style and how she describes various aspects of the adventure game and the elements in Unity. I have already gone through several tutorials on the product and I like how she presents the information. I have already picked up on some things available in Unity that were either passed over in the other tutorials, or just didn't cover them as well.

Does one need a brief history about adventure games, there are so many. Yes, I lived through the era that Sue talks about and she referenced things I was unaware of, and I started playing computer games on mainframes following grids on a typewriter device playing Star Trek. For those who complain about the history, if you are going to create a AAA game or a casual game, there is information about being successful that in included in the history, and if we do not learn from history, we are unfortunately going to repeat past failures. If you have already created a game and successfully published it and made some money, and you are only interested in learning about Unity, then skip to chapter 2, but you will miss out.

I got the online PDF for two reasons, I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped, or go looking in stores for the book, and I like having an online book while I have the engine I am working with, it is quicker and easier to move through the lessons, and I tend to play more with code and parameters which make the learning experience that much better. A note here, I am not a fan of video tutorials, it is mind numbing going back and forth over video to catch a missed phrase, I can work better at my owns pace with an online book.

So for the first hundred pages this is a definite thumbs up.

More to come.

Gene
    Last edited by gposchman; 06-29-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
    Gene Poschman
    Author of Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag
    Sample or purchase Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420969
    Web site: http://www.renaissanceplayer.com

4. Posts
    Hi Gene,

If it is a message about the PDF, I'm not sure what it is referring to but I'm sure we can sort it out if need be.

Just having a chuckle over Star Trek- it was the reason I didn't learn what a sine wave looked like until college math. Never could get computer time to run my [gag!] punch cards for 10th grade algebra/Trigonometry and Computer Science homework because of the kids who hogged the school's only computer playing that game! Don't feel guilty though- I didn't find that sine waves were actually useful until I started doing 3D in the early 90s

-Sue

5. Posts

Need help with the download files

After a nail biting 12hr. experience downloading the source code for the book from a server that does not allow "resume download" I find it's in a html form called "index(1).html", is this supposed to be the assets for the book. When I navigate to it from Unity I can't find anything at all to import and if I try to open it with a browser it's all in some sort of code. Have I got it all wrong, I thought I would be downloading textures and meshes and script for the project in the book. Need some help or advice please.
    regards Rob.

6. Location
    in a cellphone
    Hi Rob,

was the html page inside the zip you downloaded? Or did it only download this html page?

7. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Rob,

When I downloaded the assets, it was a zip file with a long numeric name and it was 3+ gig, it took a little under 2 hours to download. It may be that aPress could break up the file by chapter to allow those with slower connections to download it before the reach social security age. Wait a minute, I already am ;>)

Actually for me it was a piece of cake.

Gene
    Gene Poschman
    Sample or purchase Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420969

8. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    So I am in the middle of chapter 5 and I decided to call it a day and report on the second hundred pages. I am still not disappointed. I found a minor reference error with regards to script "FPS Input Controller" the line numbers referred to in the windows version is suppose to be line numbers 38, and 39, but are actually 36 an 37. Since it is at the end of the script and the content of the lines is clearly described in the text, it is a nit, possibly a typo. I make more mistakes in forum responses then I have found in the book so far.

The scripting directions are excellent and I like the way the code is being explained and presented. The relationship between images and text is very well done and I have been able to follow through with a fair amount of ease. The side comments are extremely helpful as I am new to 3D and I have a much better understanding of why some things are done the way they are.

Unity's First Person Interface is very nice and I found the changes provide by Sue very much in line with how I want my project to look, although I am still thinking about having a third person pseudo interface, we'll see. I'll add my Thanks to Sue for this here, in case I forget to do so later.

I am not an artist, but I am a JavaScript programmer, but I am a lazy JavaScript Programmer who in not the least bit interested in re - inventing the wheel. I am not above taking code and adjusting it for my own needs and the code I have seen so far will go along way in speeding the programming effort for my own project. Sue's explanations for things is extremely helpful. I start on collision walls tomorrow.

Gene
    Gene Poschman

9. Posts

Still in Trouble

I seem to be getting into a right mess here. I first of all went to the book site and clicked on the download source files, up came the box giving the number of the file....9781430234227.zip, it gave the option of "open with Unity" or "save to wherever" as downloads normally do. I always save the file somewhere so I did. Realising it was going to take ages I thought I'd better get a programme where I could resume downloading in case something interrupted it so I used "free download manager". It downloaded the 3.2gb file and it's called "index(1).html" So I tried again, this time with windows 7 (download time is more like 15hrs, my speed fluctuates between 150 and 50 kbps.), this time I used "open with Unity" It downloaded normally and finished properly but it seems to be only a part file with no Unity icon, in fact I seem to have a zip.zip file with 299'060 kb, a zip. file with 299,015kb, a zip. file with 8,565kb. I cant get any into Unity as a package or assets. I've also tried to add the files together to try and get a complete download. Grateful for any help everyone and thanks for your interest up till now. Rob.

10. Posts
    I can't find any 3.2 GB files anywhere, the biggest of those zips I downloaded is 292MB, I tried extracting and it just extracted to a part file the same size. Would my server limit me to a file size? It downloaded and finished normal though, a box came up from taskbar saying download finished.

11. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Rob64,

The HTML file that was 3.2 gig, can you find it? It may be the zip file and the name may be erroneous. Change the name to "anything dot zip" (filename.zip) and see if you can get it to unzip. If it is not recognized, than it may be worthless. However, if windows 7 recognizes it as a zip file, then you can unzip it. Be warned, it contains a bunch of rar files that need to be processed also. It is a S--- load of data.

Good Luck

Gene
    Gene Poschman

12. Posts
    hi Rob,

Good thinking on using "free download manager"- not all of us have fast internet (me included!)

As Gene said, once you unzip the big file, you need to unzip the smaller files (rar extension, use winrar or 7zip to unzip them). You will have several folders/directories- keep them separate from the Unity project. For use in the book, you will be asked to move folders into your project's asset folder through the OS as needed. Inside a few of the folders, there are a few Unity package files that you will be asked to import as Unity pkg assets. The majority of the 3.2 GB is several chapters worth of Unity project files. To access them, you would either browse to that folder using File>Open Project or through your OS, find the Scenes folder in that chapter's Assets folder and click on it.

I'll take a screen shot of the unzipped folders when I get back & post it for everyone.

Sue

13. Posts
    Here's a screen shot of what the unzipped folders should look like and what's in them:

Name:  BookDownloadFolders.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  340.5 KB

14. Posts

http://forum.unity3d.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Gene,

as one senior to another, a big thank you for that information.I did what you said (after copying the file in case I destroyed it) and it unzipped to all the rar files. I started in computers late in life and getting older I seem to forget half of what I learned.

Hi Sue,

Thank's to you too, I've got 16 files, looks like I've got the lot. Agreeing with Gene's comments regarding your book.

Rob.

15. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I have just completed chapter 5 and I am delighted with the first person player and the changes incorporated for navigation. I am still undecided about first and third person for my own project. The changes Sue provides in the book for the Unity FPS looks like with some camera adjustments and navigation tweaks, I could create a pseudo third person interface. Chapter five also covers some platform scripting, collision detection, and collider/trigger scripting. All of this will be highly practical for an adventure HOG game. The book is clearly applicable towards the game genre I am interested in. I should also note that there are some other types of games I have on the back burner and much of what I am learning will be applicable with them also.

I like the modular scripting as it will allow me to put into a library scripts and functions that I will be able to draw upon in future projects. At this point, I am a quarter of the way through the book and I can already recommend it. A couple of times I have had to do some rereading, but that is partly due to my own impatience to move too quickly. I have settled into reading a section without doing anything in Unity, then going back with Unity up and working through the project examples. I use the online version, and I admit that I read through the scripting examples and play with them, and I use cut and paste a lot, I am a terrible four finger typist.

The first build was fun to play with. I will have more.

Hi Rob, I am glad it worked. I started with computers early in life, it is a bit of a love hate relationship that has lasted almost as long as my marriage which has been a lot more positive. (BSEG)

Gene
    Gene Poschman

16. Posts
    Hi Gene, you could skip to the last chapter where I discuss the changes you would probably want to make to do a third person It is mostly theoretical, so not really a spoiler for the project.

Meanwhile, most of what you will have by the end of the book (inventory, state management, load/save) will carry right on to a third person and is the next logical progression. Cameras will be more challenging depending on style, but controlling (driving) a character will be almost seamless since Unity's first person is pretty much just a "person" with a camera attached to the head instead of following behind..

Glad to hear you are experimenting as you go along- that is exactly what I hope people will want to do!

Sue

17. Location
    0, 5000, 0
    Just got it in the mail Friday.

Very helpful so far.

18. Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I have had my first problem, It is in doing the animations. The close lid for the chest doesn't seem to work. When everything was on automatic in the first go round everything seemed okay. Now I am separating things out in chapter 7 and applying animations individually, and the lid will not close.

The script works okay because I used it for the key insert and key remove on key at lock and that works just fine. I applied door close as the audio with delay, for the chest lid closing and I get the audio okay. The chest lid just wont close. Any ideas. I suspect the clip, but I am not sure how to test it out and to get the correct one back into the list.

I suspect, I did something stupid.

Additional information I click on the lid and it opens with sound, I click on it again and I get the door slam, but the lid remains motionless. I click on the lid again and it reopens.

I noticed on the clip information that the clip begins at 91 and ends at 110. The clip for key remove begins at 121?????

Gene
    Last edited by gposchman; 07-04-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: additional information
    Gene Poschman

19. Location
    Los Angeles
    I've been trying to download the source code several times since it posted. I cant get past 1.2 gigs. Would it be possible to post smaller size zips in a few packets? I admit I don't have the fastest connection. Has anyone successfully downloaded…?
    Note I have downloaded other files that where more that 3 gigs. I wonder could the Apress server be a problem. I don't know.
    Last edited by Zoneman; 07-04-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    Follow your Dreams, You may find your Purpose in Life.

213-359-7262
    fletcher@zonesight.com

20. Posts
    hi Zoneman,

Rob64 used a "free download manager" to get the download. I had a lot of trouble uploading small files (10 MB) to the Apress server with my [pathetically] slow internet- assuming it was timing out. For the final assets, I had to drive out to a neighbor who has fast internet. I uploaded the files in several separate rar files & was hoping they would keep them separate just for those of us that are bandwidth impaired. All of their book web pages are set up with only one download, so not sure how much trouble it would be to split them back up, but I will check tomorrow.

Sue

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast