Search Unity

Cut terrain

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mk1978, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mk1978

mk1978

Is there a way to sort of cut terrain? I would like to make a clean edge in my terrain. I am modelling a golf course, which is about 2000m x 2000m in size. Bunkers are not looking good and therefore I would like to know if there are any tools or ways to make a clean edge between grass and sand. River tool seems to have some of the functions that I would need, but is there something similar for pits/holes?

http://sixtimesnothing.com/river-tool/

Bunker:

This is where I am right now:

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

You need to model it instead of using the terrain editor.
    The terrain is a grid with heightmap and can only get steeper, not stepped or cut

3. mk1978

mk1978

I was a little bit scared that there is no good solution for this and would need to model the whole thing in external software. Actually, I am already using Sketchup for modeling the terrain and I use obj to Terrain- script to create the terrain. With this workflow you still don't get "sharp edges", so I guess I have to find some other solutions.

One more question. Is there any Solids tools in Unity that could be used with terrain (Intersect, Subtraction, Union)?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

There are no booleans at all in unity. (they aren't gaming friendly anyway as booleans create masses of polygons the moment something is no longer axis aligned and trivial that cuts or is cut)

The terrain can't be cut or anything alike at all, its a heightmap based grid and for its whole area there is a continous mesh thats there, always :)

so an obj to terrain won't change anything, the terrain is always a heightmap with continous surface, no steps.
    But good thing is if you used the converter you also have the model to just use :)

5. mk1978

mk1978

I am actually using Sketchup for modeling the terrain. Is it possible to import Sketcup model into Unity so that I am able to paint trees and textures on it, with terrain editor or some other tool? I have been using Tom's Terrain Tools for texturing my terrain, because I can texture the whole model in just about 5 minutes. I would think that if I manage to import Sketchup model I would still need to modify the textures in Unity.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

No, if you use meshes you lose all terrain capabilities including its tree and detail object systems with imposter LOD etc.
    You would need to use an own system then, write own tools to texture it etc.

7. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi mk1978,

I found a way to use the terrain tools that come with Unity to do something like your bunker. See if this example would work for you. bunker

To get this, I used the Paint Height tool with the sharpest brush (see screen capture). If you shift click on the terrain with the Paint Height tool selected, it will go to the altitude you clicked on, so pick a low altitude (like the bottom of a hill) and use the tool to carve out a bunker that will have a pretty sharp edge. Hope this helps.

Also, I haven't tried it, but I did run across a script that will convert an ordinary mesh to a terrain at:
    http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Object2Terrain

Zaffer

8. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Has anyone gotten this to appear in the "terrain" menu? I followed instructions according to wiki, but it won't show up...???

We need to convert an externally modelled object (blender 2.57) into a usable terrain object...HELP!

Thanks
    George

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

if you put it into the Assets/Editor folder and it didn't appear you have compile errors in your editor log

10. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

11. Naison

Naison

If you need to cut into the terrain you need to flatten your heightmap in the terrain setting usually 20 will work, increasing resolution will give you smoother cuts.

12. Jessy

Jessy

g2, have you tried re-encoding the text? It may be an error from copying from the wiki.

13. mk1978

mk1978

I haven't been following discussions so carefully lately. Therefore, I would like to check if there is already some kind of solution/extension available for this problem.

Instead of "cutting the terrain", I would have golf bunker (pit/hole) modeled in my terrain with only grass texture (no sand texture at all) and I would model individual geometry with sand texture on top of that hole.

Do you know if this kind of "painting with geometry on top of terrain" extension exists nowadays?

14. vfxjex

vfxjex

Why not model the whole terrain in 3D Modeling packages like Maya and Mudbox or Zbrush and create a height map on it.
    you can do what you want with your terrain in 3D modeling packages and that would be closely what it looks when you export and import your height map in Unity Terrain.