Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2011 Roadmap

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

@FierceForm You do realise the release date planned was the near end of 2011, right? They haven't yet missed it. Not even close.

2. MitchStan

MitchStan

Your rant, sir, is completely and utterly absurd. And not even in the least bit entertaining. But you do have nice grammar and you can spell (or at least you spell check).

Now go leave us and use another gaming engine.

Bye bye.

3. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

@FierceForm - you obviously have no idea what it takes to ship enterprise software. I work as a software developer at IBM and I can tell you that it is a very complicated process.

If they had shipped on time (assuming they have not) with all features in place (assuming they won't), your post would instead complain of all the bugs. In software there is ALWAYS a balance between features/polish/QA and release dates.

Any real serious user of any real serious software would prefer an update came out late, if it meant it would be stable and feature rich.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Agreed but to be fair if you work at IBM I'm sure you normally don't sell them features advertised for a specific version or lifecycle of a product that you then simply cut from it again. UT does a great job but they are worlds away from business software class where their 'hype - vaporing' would not be tolerated at all. If we weren't on pay once per version but support contract they would go through hell for their chaos and vapor hyping by now due to what happened in Unity 3.x so far since its first announcements in 2009 over the Beast - Umbra hype, which will hopefully finally be professionally usable in Unity 3.5 not just for dummy projects, prototypes and mobile projects as the past 20 months

UT is sellings its engine as world class engine basically and at the time it simply isn't as Gamebryo and Trinigy Vision were further featurewise, flexibility wise and stability wise in 2008 than Unity is now (and we all know that Gamebryo by now is basically dead)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Good points Dremora. You are correct.

6. cannon

cannon

Eep, that thing wouldn't even initialize correctly on my laptop without source-engine modifications. May it rest in peace and stay that way.
    Just had to get it out there. Don't mind me, carry on.

7. Demostenes

Demostenes

Warez versions tend to do this ;)

8. cannon

cannon

My client's company invested quite a lot of money in their GameBryo source license before they hired me, in order to upgrade their existing simulator product (custom hardware golf swing simulator).

Most of it ships in source form; the default initialized Direct3D screen mode was incompatible with my slightly underpowered laptop, and was easily fixed (it requests stencil buffers, which we did not require at that time, and which my card could not provide). It did not have code to fallback cleanly.

Had they asked me to pick an engine before buying anything, I would not have picked GameBryo at all.

9. janpec

janpec

Lol why the hell would anyone want to use GameBryo anyways, its better to give that money they claim for license to charity.

10. saymoo

saymoo

Because it's an engine with quite good features etc.. and quite a showcase of known games.
    But, it's a complex beast to master, not very dev friendly.
    Oh well, everyone's own choice i would say :)
    (psst it's better than Torque hehe)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.