Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2011 Roadmap

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flim

flim

Isn't PhysX is running on nVidia GPU instead of CPU?

And I want PC because I can enjoy 5.1 sound in most PC games. So please remove the editor splash screen in next update.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

No PhysX is always running on the CPU. Unity does not support the HW acceleration, likely for several reason (webplayer install in 40mb range instead of 3mb would suck being a major one or not working outside win + nvidia at all ie no gain)

3. amit1532

amit1532

why do you hate so much the splash screen, i mean it wont kill us to wait 3 seconds to open up unity... o-o

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

Unity wants the physics engine to be running on all hardware types, so is not hardware dependent, and runs on the CPU.
    Although it would be nice if it could detect if the hardware is available and offload to the gpu.

The Unity splash screen can be removed with the PRO version.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Once again, this is about the Unity editor splash screen, not the in-game splash screen.

--Eric

6. flim

flim

Oh I didn't aware that because I think if the software use PhysX, it will detect and use the PhysX driver on PC, thus, it will utilize the GPU automatically.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Not with Unity.

--Eric

8. flim

flim

I hate it because I hate the military character in the splash screen. What the soldier fight with? UDK? :D

And the soldier is standing on a peaceful scene and nothing to do.

Why the Mac version doesn't comes with the splash screen.

9. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Documentation is always being fixed, updated, and improved on. You'll see changes to documentation every release. If you find something specific in the documentation that's broken or missing please submit a bug report.

Ha, I've been pushing for this ever since I started working at Unity. There's actually been a fair amount of work done on it now. However, it's not planned for 3.4/3.5. Mostly because fixing it "the right way" will require breaking backwards compatibility, which we want to avoid doing during minor version updates. It's definitely on our to-do list.

10. amit1532

amit1532

sorry for being stupid... but what is the problem with the input manager? O_O never had a problem with it (yet)...

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

More correctly: not in anything that does not use the DLL based physx engine which requires a physx driver install to startup at all. this is not just unity, many other engines and games follow that too as adding a multi ten MB download on top of a 20mb game or a 3mb plugin (as with unity webplayer) is not just insane, its bullocks, especially as the physx driver is a software driver and requires admin rights to install at all unlike unity webplayer plugin ;)

12. FierceForm

FierceForm

You are a good man.

Just to point out a few additional things that should have been fixed a long time ago (more like they should have never been broken):

• Undo - It shouldn't require me to put objects in my scene to allow undo on those objects (requires to be extended from UnityEngine.Object). What if I'm working on a design time tool? I don't want ANY overhead, and that includes saving objects containing DESIGN data in my scene when I should save them separately. But I can't, because the Undo system requires me to put them in the scene. It should definitely not be built in this fashion.

• SceneView - Should be a documented class, it is vital for a lot of editors.

• EditorWindow - Should have OnSceneGUI, so we don't have to spawn an object and select it to edit any scene stuff...

13. ChurroLoco

ChurroLoco

All Hail 3.6!... and Shawn!

14. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Undo should work with any serialized data regardless of whether it lives in the scene or in an asset.

Totally agreed. We made it mostly public for this reason, but it needs cleaned up and finalized before it can be officially supported API. Also something on our to-do list.

Code (csharp):
    1. SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += OnSceneViewGUI;
    3. public void OnSceneViewGUI ()
    4. {
    5. // Do GUI Stuff
    6. }
    Disclaimer: SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate is undocumented API and can change at anytime in the future without warning.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  15. FierceForm

FierceForm

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Undo.RegisterUndo.html

The method takes in UnityEngine.Object's, and the only way to get your data to extend from UnityEngine.Object is to put it into the scene. If you just simply extend from UnityEngine.Object, really weird things happen, like it always being equivalent to null, and causing the editor to crash. Note that it also mentions that "only the actual objects passed as parameters are saved". This pretty much means you have to create all of your stuff in the scene to support Undo.

That's great! I just hope they can get that to a documented API so I can release it in a plugin! Note: I don't think you guys decline it because of that anyways?

16. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Again, Undo should work fine with all serialized data on the passed Objects regardless of where it lives. If you're getting a crash it's a bug. Please report a bug with repo steps. :)

17. FierceForm

FierceForm

I did the first time I saw it. It's case 409391. I also reported another bug just now showing Undo simply not working on a UnityEngine.Object I subclassed myself, case 412465.

18. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

You can't derive from UnityEngine.Object. Instead, derive from ScriptableObject. This can be passed into Undo system just fine.

You can add it to an asset file using AssetDatabase.AddObjectToAsset if you want to save it to your project. It will get saved with your scene if some component references and it is NOT saved in an asset file.

19. wuesugi

wuesugi

I am a flash developer,and I start to learn unity from last year,if unity can export swf that will make great change on the web game industry I think。And I will definite use unity to my new web game

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

It will also have major limitations though at the same time and its not like you can use the other flash stuff as it exports to molehill which does not support the 2d api present at the time anyway

21. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

And then Adobe will buy Unity... =)

But seriously, being from a Flash dev background too, exporting to Flash would still be a step in the right direction. As much as Flash has it's faults, I'm still a firm believer that there is hope for it to get their (pardon the language) sh*t together. The main problem holding them back is their love for backward compatibility... I still can't believe they haven't cut the cord to the AVM1 running since Win 98...

Just think about it, UnityScript is practically AS3, add Flash'es 2d API (only) and it will be a breeze to work with. (this statement is without regard to all the technical difficulties required to achieve it; I'm just imagining the possibilities)

22. scarpelius

scarpelius

I hope unity flash marriage will never happen. I also hope thy will resist to any fusion or buying offer from big companies out there no matter how big is that name.
    Marriage with another company might shift the philosophies at high level management. I like the current orientation of bringing affordable technologies to hobbyists and small companies.

23. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Not as much fusion but just access export capability. Probably through a licensing of some sort?

I mean, Unity has Beast which is from (a monster eat-all-you-can-buy company) Autodesk. I don't see why it would be different with Adobe?

In all cases, 3.5 should be an interesting release; I just hope they aren't holding up 3.4 fixes until 3.5 so that a 3.4.1 will come soon...

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

Just that you won't get the 2D API
    Unity exports to the Molehill api which is seperate of the 2D API and can't use it ...

the only thing you gain is that you only force users to install to flash 12 instead of installing the unity plugin, but for this "only" you lose various features like unity networking among others as flash limitations don't allow those to work at all. Mono will likely be reduced to what mono uses so the required datatypes from System and a few more things, the rest will be gone to allow it to run halfway reasonably (threading is out anyway and alike) ...

we will see how much use it will make to target it once its there and once the adoption of the new flash version are known, each new version has had more problems getting a fullscale foothold.

25. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

I know dreamora, I was just referring to the 2D API... as for Molehill I really don't care about it. I don't see the point of how Flash could use Molehill effectively without a strong full-fledged engine IDE such as Unity, whatever the money Adobe throws as it. Maybe in 5 years.

It was just hypothetically if the 2D would (somehow) become available within Unity... not sure how it would be implemented.

But yup, Flash is going downhill slowly. They need to stop evolving and start "revolutionizing" themselves.

26. Dreamora

Dreamora

The path for "2d alike flash" (can only be 2D alike as unity doesn't even support software rendering, either you have TnL+ 3d hardware accelartion on the system or it does not even start) would likely be scaleform or alternatively the free technology out of which scaleform started itself long ago ...
    but personally I doubt it as we soon get some new, hopefully not Graphics.DrawMesh based but batchable, UI system and the timeframe since 3.0 or so was not long enough to pull up something on the scaleform level. also I've not read about the ragespline dev now working for UT ;)

27. zipper

zipper

Here's hoping for Scaleform integration :) That would be awesome!

Games using scaleform: (like Starcraft 2, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, etc..)
    http://www.scaleform.com/gamesusing

28. satrio

satrio

I´m with zipper for scaleform integration!

GUILayout sux..

29. Ricks

Ricks

Uh sorry to ask in here:

Has there been any attempts to introduce normal maps or parallax maps for terrain in 3.5 or so? (not the ones from community projects)
    Also I wonder how compatible the Terrain Toolset Plugin will be afterwards? (which allowed procedural shaping of terrain and applying of textures etc.). Or will it be developed further by the Unity Team?

30. MattGPC

MattGPC

A number of us have been asking for this for awhile. I love Unity, but the terrain engine is embarassingly behind the times. I know they intend to get normal mapped terrains in sometime...it's just a question of when.

31. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

I am with MattGPC, for me the Terrain is the biggest weakness. Not sure why they did pathfinding first considering there are good 3rd party alternatives out there, where as the terrain is terrible and not something someone else could do easily.

Would also like a ball park on when a new terrain system is coming, are we talking 3.6/3.7 or 4.x? Would be nice to have a none-committed estimate.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  32. DisTrash

DisTrash

I vote for a terrain system based on voxels and heighmaps, voxelform per example is great, why don't include this type of terrain system in Unity ?

Thanks a lot ! ;o) ;o) ;o) ^^

Best Regards.
    :eek:)

33. ForceX

ForceX

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  34. DisTrash

DisTrash

WOWW !!! Really really cool ! I keep and eye on this.

thanks a lot for this info ! ;) ;) ;)

35. Hoff

Hoff

I hate flash, its old bloated outdated S***

36. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Good thing no ones forcing you to use it then, isn't it?

37. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

From the people who make Grome:

38. DisTrash

DisTrash

Hello,

It is possible to create caves and underground worlds or levels or terrains with Grome 3 ? Voxel ?

thanks a lot !! ;o) ;o) ;o) ^^

39. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

You would have to check out their website to know for sure, but my impression was no to both.

40. Leonsito

Leonsito

Anyone knows if the Mono version will be updated in 3.5 ?

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Probably not until 4.0.

--Eric

42. Antitheory

Antitheory

I for one am excited about the export to SWF feature that will hopefully be included in the next release of Unity now that Flash Player 11 is out.

As many have pointed out, it won't be Unity + Flash, nor will it be as "good" as the Unity web-player. The key thing though is the penetration of Flash. The clients I work for come from an extremely paranoid sector and it takes years to convince them to allow plugins to run on their machines. If it's running in a SWF they just think "it's 3D flash" and everyone's happy. It's idiotic I know, but "the customer is always right".

43. c-Row

c-Row

Oh yes! Please add auto-indent!

44. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

I second that. The less they know the better. Heck, if I could run Unity in a powerpoint I'll so it right away! For god sakes they are not developers nor at all aware of what a computer is (baby boomers, they still control everything) so if it's new they just freak out. Flash has been for long enough for them to get comfortable.

45. Hoff

Hoff

I am a baby boomer, been a software engineer for almost 30 years. Used every language from basic to assembly, wrote C and C++ code for 20 odd years while creating everything from device drivers to AAA games. So don't think baby boomers know nothing, we probably know more than you do :)

Oh yeah, flash is trash! Hey, that sounds good :)

46. atmuc

atmuc

flash coming soon :) does anyone how much soon? :)

47. larvantholos

larvantholos

It could be any minute now, refresh the page >..>

48. atmuc

atmuc

will flash export be available for all versions(indie, pro) or will we buy a license to export flash?

49. FierceForm

FierceForm

Awwww, goodbye fall! Looks like another date missed. By a long-shot. After removing features. I don't know why people still tolerate this. Just because it's hard to stay on schedule, doesn't mean they can't HAVE a schedule. Or try to stick to the schedule they have, if they even made one (which I assumed they did when they made another terrible guess). I mean, other software companies stay on schedule. Guess Unity just doesn't care or something.

Someday, I hope this company goes out of business. Unity just doesn't deserve anymore money, or investment, or anything. Well, I guess Europeans aren't capitalists so they just get money from the government, and Obama is there to give money to people who don't deserve it too, keeping businesses like this alive. It's almost frustrating that this happens, and I regret ever spending money to support this god forsaken company years ago.

When I first came to Unity, I thought they were inspired by Apple, and I expected them to continue following in Apple's footsteps to make some quality software. They have disappointed me.

At least I know what not to do now.

50. c-Row

c-Row

Uhmm... blaming UT for not staying on a rather implied than fixed schedule and then bringing in Apple as a good example? Must be quite a huge rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.