Search Unity

2D Toolkit - 2D in Unity made simple [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by unikronsoftware, Jun 16, 2011.

1. RubiconParadox

RubiconParadox

I am having some issues using 2dtk with java. Earlier in this thread you gave an example to some one else, but I have not been able to get it to work.

Code (csharp):
    2. var animatedSprite : tk2dAnimatedSprite = gameObject.GetComponent(tk2dAnimatedSprite);
    4. function BackToIdle(sprite : tk2dAnimatedSprite, clipId)
    5. {
    6.     animatedSprite.Play("Idle");
    7.     animatedSprite.animationCompleteDelegate = null;
    8. }
    10. function PlayJumpAnim()
    11. {
    12.     animatedSprite.Play("Jump");
    13.     animatedSprite.animationCompleteDelegate = BackToIdle;
    14. }
    When I compile I get the following error: "The name 'tk2dAnimatedSprite' does not denote a valid type ('not found')" I have been trying to find more java example code, but with no luck. What is going wrong here?

2. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Accessing the classes from JavaScript requires a bit of moving things around before you can access the classes from JavaScript.
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.Script_compilation_28Advanced29.html

The files which need to be moved out of the current folder in the Project Window into a Plugins folder in the root of the project. This is the easiest structure to get up and running -

Code (csharp):
    1. >Plugins
    2. >   tk2d
    3. >       Fonts
    4.            tk2dFont
    5.            tk2dFontData
    6.            tk2dTextMesh
    7. >       Gui
    8.            tk2dButton
    9. >       Sprites
    10.            tk2dAnimatedSprite
    11.            tk2dBaseSprite
    12.            tk2dPixelPerfectHelper
    13.            tk2dSprite
    14.            tk2dSpriteAnimation
    15.            tk2dSpriteCollection
    16.            tk2dSpriteCollectionData
    17.            tk2dStaticSpriteBatcher
    18. >TK2DROOT
    19.    everything else remains here
    If you have any trouble with this, drop me a PM.

3. RubiconParadox

RubiconParadox

Ah! That is very good to know. Thank you so much.

4. FunkMonk

FunkMonk

hi unikron,

im having some trouble switching between animations on my "animated sprite" using java.

i've created the new path you show in your previous post, it looks exactly like yours and isn't throwing up any errors so i'm assuming its correct.

i then create a script based on the example above given by RubiconParadox with the appropriate names changed and now i get the following error:

"ArgumentException: You are not allowed to call get_gameObject when declaring a variable."

the project still runs when i press play but the script does not appear to run (unsurprisingly). i can understand what the error is getting at, but being fairly new to unity and java (and knowing very little about C#) i really don't no how to start fixing it. ultimately, i am not going to use this script in my project it was just a stepping stone to try and figure out how your plugin works, what i'm really after is a translation, from C# to Java, of the "Scripting An Animated Sprite" page from your documentation and a quick explanation on how to use it.

anything you can do to help?

5. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

There is a tiny error with that script - The line which reads
    Code (csharp):
    2. var animatedSprite : tk2dAnimatedSprite = gameObject.GetComponent(tk2dAnimatedSprite);
    should actually be

Code (csharp):
    2. var animatedSprite : tk2dAnimatedSprite;
    3. animatedSprite = gameObject.GetComponent(tk2dAnimatedSprite);
    Thanks for the feedback requesting the JavaScript translation of the tutorial - we will put that in the pipeline.

unikron

6. FunkMonk

FunkMonk

thanks a lot for your reply ill keep an eye on your docs for the translation.

in the meantime i'v managed to get round the errors i was getting by pulling the variable inside the "start" function but it still doesn't play the animation. at the moment i'm just trying to get the animated sprite to play its idle animation from script when the level starts rather than using your "Play Automatically" checkbox, even with the error correction in your last post it still won't play.
    my current code looks like this:

function start () {
    var animatedSprite: tk2dAnimatedSprite;
    animatedSprite = GetComponent(tk2dAnimatedSprite);

animatedSprite.Play("Idle");
    }

i've tried several permutations of this code with the variables inside/outside the function and a few other variations based on what i've read on this post, no errors, but no joy either. i have a strong feeling that once i get past these first few hurdles 2DTk will really start coming into its own. any chance you can point me in the right direction?

thanks again for all your help :)

7. lorenzo.cambiaghi

lorenzo.cambiaghi

Megafiers doesn't work on a single quad but would be nice to add an option to subdivide the quad in u,v so it will works fine :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

It would make it a lot easier to work out what's gone wrong if you can zip up your project folder and send over to the support email address (support at unikronsoftware.com). Is that something you will be happy to do?

9. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Subdivision is doable, but what platform are you targeting? I would be massively more efficient to do megafiers style bending by using some coordinate space local to the polygon; it actually will simplify a generic 3d solution down massively. Subdivided sprites cost that much more to scale / colorize etc so it's worth considering that too

Unikron

10. lorenzo.cambiaghi

lorenzo.cambiaghi

Subdvision only for sprites that need it. In my game for example only for few sprite. I can do a mesh in maya but it costs a drawcall for the change of the texture. I think that uv sliders for subdivision with the default setting 1 , 1 (a quad) is a perfect solution :p .

11. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

hi. we are working with your tk and love it so far.

but i got a question.
    i wanna accelerate the animation depending on the speed of my character.
    is there anyway to access the speed of an animated sprite via script?

there is a framerate value in the sprite animation, but is there a way to change that via script?

oh i got it. dont know if i am just too dumb to find anotherway, but here is how i did it:

public method in AnimatedSprite:

public void SetFPS(int id, float newFps)

{

anim.clips[id].fps = newFps;

}

update of Player gives the right fps.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  12. loxai

loxai

Hi,

Having a big background image (larger than screen size, will be scrolled and with collisions), how can I add it as a sprite, splitting textures not to be larger than 1024x1024? I've seen something about dicing, but can't find any details on how to use that...
    I'm working on a top down shooter with 2*2 screens game area and I want to know the best approach for managing detailed backgrounds.

Cheers

13. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

That's not the best way to do this - the clip is shared between different animations, so if you modify the fps, you'll be changing it on other instances of the same clip too. That's fine if you intend to do that though.

If you want to do it without affecting other instances of the clip, I suggest changing the following line in the tk2dAnimatedSprite.Update function:
    clipTime += Time.deltaTime * currentClip.fps;

to
    clipTime += Time.deltaTime * currentClip.fps * speed;

And add a float speed to the class too. That way you can individually control speeds of animated sprites, even if they are playing the same clip.

Hope that helps.

14. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi. This is quite tricky. Dicing works best for sparse images. All you need to do is tick the dicing tickbox and set up dicing width and heights, and then the system will automatically cut the texture up into parts, discard the empty bits and reassemble them with polygons. This can be massively beneficial if you have a lot of empty bits in your texture, but I'm guessing this won't be the case in yours. Having dicing enabled means you can't have multi-atlas enabled though, which could be a bit of a problem.

Link to wiki docs -
    http://www.unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpriteCollection

Drop me an email at (support at unikronsoftware.com) and we can discuss this further.

Cheers,
    unikron

15. gamefools

gamefools

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to force a new animation to start immediately without it waiting for the next frame.

The issue I'm having is:
    I'm creating an isometric game, so I have 2 walking animations (front and back) and I flip them horizontally based on whether the character is going right or left. When I flip the character using rotation and call Play(), there is a quick flicker because the rotation happens immediately and the animation doesn't start until the next frame. I've been able to avoid this by putting some code in Update() that makes it so the rotation waits until the next frame, but it's a pretty ugly solution.

16. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

This is an interesting request as we have had a similar one here (though the situation was completely different). The problem is because when you flip the character rotation and call play, the Update function you are calling this from is executed after the animated sprite Update function, and so the animated sprite doesn't update until the next frame.

You can try this fix which worked for us, using the Script Execution Order editor in Unity 3.4. Edit > Project Settings > Script Execution Order. What you want to do is to make sure your script executes before tk2dAnimatedSprite.

You can also rename Update to LateUpdate in tk2dAnimatedSprite, and that should fix the problem, but will introduce another one if you use LateUpdate to change any state on the animated sprite.

17. gamefools

gamefools

Setting the execution order worked. Thanks!

18. gamefools

gamefools

Hi... Again.

I was wondering if there was an easy way to do some sort of Copy Pixels type function where I would be able to copy a portion of one sprite and copy it onto a different sprite (or a portion of a texture onto a sprite)? An example of this would be a custom progress bar, where you would have a texture that you would want to only show a certain percentage of.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  19. cyro_349

cyro_349

Hey,

I've been having some issues with the draw calls, I add a sprite to the scene which is using the same atlas as the other sprites in the scene but it seems to increase the draw calls from 1 to 2 (and sometimes 3???) for some reason.

It's a freshly created sprite, with no physics, rotation or scale. At first I assumed it was setup to have separate draw calls for different depths (as changing it's depth to be similar to an existing sprites depth seemed to reduce the draw calls back to 1, but there wasn't really any consistency with this, having one sprite at a depth of 10 then some of the time I could set it's depth to be anywhere between 0 and 11 and have 1 draw call, the rest of the time I needed to set the depth to 10, 11 or 12).

But then I was working on another project which had a parallax animation setup with 10 layers and it was working (and animating) with only 1 draw call.

Any idea what could be happening?

Edit:

Wait, think I know what's happening. It looks like the way your system works is to group atlases based on depth into a draw call.

So if I have sprites using one atlas at depth 10 then a sprite using a different atlas at depth 5, adding a sprite which uses the original atlas at depth 1, will add additional draw calls.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  20. cyro_349

cyro_349

Actually, one last thing.

Is there any way to get the size of a sprite? (you can with a button by checking the collider's bounds, I was just wondering if there is a method for normal sprite). As this is something which I tend to use a lot in games (positioning things relative to other objects).

21. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

This isn't available right out of the box, but it should be quite easy to implement. The tk2dSpriteBase class returns the polygon data to the tk2dSprite class, all you need to to is scale the size and uv down proportionately to achieve what you want - you can inherit from tk2dSprite to do that.

Drop me an email if you wanna discuss this further.

Cheers,
    unikron

22. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

This is exactly what you think it is. If there are 3 transparent polygons they have to be drawn back to front relative to the camera. The Unity dynamic batching system will automatically batch as much as it can, but if there are any material differences it will break batching. If you're going to have a large number of sprites on screen, its best to group them into the same sprite collection if possible, and avoid multiple atlas generation for static sprites altogether.

unikron

23. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

There isn't right now, but you can get the bounds of the sprite by making the GetBounds function in tk2dBaseSprite public and calling that. This function is protected simply because it doesn't use the Unity built in transform.scale, as this breaks dynamic batching. This function will give you the local bounds of the sprite.

unikron

24. oliverdb

oliverdb

Hey

I changed the compression of one of my assets and I am now unable to open the project since tk2d wants to redo all my assets (it never seems to be done)

Anything I can do?...

EDIT:
    deleted the .tk2d file and i'm back in business

The bug came when I manually edited the compression of a file setting the compression override for iphone/android and then dragged it into a spritecollection.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  25. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi Oliver,

Thats very strange - I certainly do not expect that behaviour. I will investigate this further.

unikron

26. oliverdb

oliverdb

I am doing a physics game and discovered the nice collider feature. My problem is that I want my collider to be just outside the graphics instead of part of the graphics.

This is also due to the "min penetration for penalty" feature which I dont dare set to 0.

Anyway here is something to think about.

27. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

Hi, is there something in the plugin that disables shift+click selection of sprites in the scene view? Also if I drag a region around a bunch of sprites so that more than one are selected (or select a few in the Hierarchy) and then duplicate those selected sprites, all but 1 of the new duplicated sprites is auto deselected.

When making tile-based games, it's super helpful to be able to select several sprites, duplicate them, move the sprites to a new location, repeat. But your plugin seems to be disallowing this kind of workflow.

28. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

If you need colliders outside the graphics, you can simply create the graphics with a bit of empty space in it (i.e. zero alpha). 2D Toolkit will automatically trim the empty space in your texture, i.e. you won't be wasting any atlas space by doing this. I will look into adding this as a feature in a future release though.

Cheers,
    unikron

29. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

I noticed this recently as well - this is something which has broken fairly recently. I will investigate further, and I am fairly certain it'll be fixed in the next release.

30. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

The website mentions polygon colliders for static objects. What about dynamic ones? If I wanted to create an Angry Birds style game, how would the physics work?

31. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

You are free to create colliders for any objects you choose, but there are limitations on two objects with polygon colliders - Physx won't let them collide with each other. You can have a moving polygon collider interact with a box collider and vice versa, just not two polygon ones. You are free to mark one of them as convex though, and that will then work.

If you were to create an angry birds style game, you'll be able to approximate the birds with box colliders or spheres, and that will work fine.

Unikron

32. giyomu

giyomu

nothing to ask , but just wanted to say thanks for this nice tool, very pleasant to use :D...

33. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Glad you like it!

34. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Oh, gotcha. I didn't realize the limit of PhysX.

35. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats incorrect actually.
    You can have polygon colliders colide with each other BUT moving polygon colliders have 1 requirement: You must mark them as convex!
    non convex colliders must not move at all or your cpu will burn like hell because a non convex collider will cause the collision tree of the scene to be recalculated each frame which already for relatively simple objects can result 100% core usage on a core i7.

This is no unity limitation nor even PhysX but just a fundamental limitation of computational simulation and the available cpu power.

36. oliverdb

oliverdb

Well convex polygon colliders against convex works fine in my game. I just had to cut away the corners of my triangles in order to stop jitter. They are all rigidbodies

37. oliverdb

oliverdb

I usualy do something like this. You can do it on the MeshFilter but that does not take the rotation into account

Code (csharp):
    2. this.GetComponent<Renderer>().bounds.size.x;

38. willrmiller

willrmiller

Does anyone have some best practices getting 2D Toolkit to play nice in projects that are being worked on by multiple people?

39. oliverdb

oliverdb

hmm shaders and sprites. Is it possible?

40. theHost

theHost

41. oliverdb

oliverdb

Hey

I did a resize script where I resize a parent sprite based upon a child textMesh. But the strange thing is that I loose the bounds on the parent sprite. It gets width and height 0 with a zindex of -100000.

Code (csharp):
    2. float padding = 0.3f;
    4. if(transform.parent!=null  transform.parent.GetComponent<Renderer>()!=null){
    5.             float thisWidth = this.GetComponent<Renderer>().bounds.size.x;
    7.             float parentWidth = transform.parent.GetComponent<Renderer>().bounds.size.x;
    9.             Debug.Log("thiswidth: " + thisWidth);
    10.             Debug.Log("parentWidth: " + parentWidth);
    13.             if(parentWidth  < thisWidth + (2*padding)) // lets resize
    14.             {
    15.                 float missingWidth = (thisWidth+2*padding) - (parentWidth) ;
    16.                 Debug.Log("MISSING WIDTH " + missingWidth);
    17.                 float scaleFactor  = (parentWidth + missingWidth) /parentWidth ;
    19.                 Debug.Log("SCALEFACTOR" +  scaleFactor);
    21.                 tk2dSprite button = transform.parent.GetComponent<tk2dSprite>();
    22.                 button.scale =  new Vector3(button.scale.x * scaleFactor,button.scale.y,button.scale.z);
    23.                 button.Build();
    24.             }

42. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Yes it is. You may have to modify the builder slightly to stop it auto generating materials but that's it. You could also enable normals so you can light the sprites.

43. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

44. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

If you need the bounds of the sprite, you can either grab it from the MeshFilter.mesh.bounds or the sprite directly, I'm not sure at what stage the renderer bounds are updated. This is also axis aligned in screen space making it a lot less useful.

45. Andreas Scholl

Andreas Scholl

Hey,

first of all congratulations on your 2D Toolkit. You really did a good job on creating and documentating.

We have just started using 2D Toolkit for a game prototype.and i have two questions / issues.

1) We are using subversion (SVN) as a project repository. Somehow the "Collection" information for the Sprite-Editor is not consistent if i submit the project data using SVN. Sprites in the scene do have the collection but if i select a sprite it looses the collection information and it does not display the correct collections in the selector list. If i commit a collection and reopen the project or scene everything will be fine. Is the information which collections are available in the Sprite-Editor stored somewhere outside the resources or .tk2d,prefab?

2) We want to use static sprite batchers to edit tiled levels with quadratic tiles (256x256 pixels each). The tiles use alpha channels and are not completely filled. If we add the tiles to create a sprite collection some of the empty areas of the tiles seem to be optimized away. As a result we are getting different sized sprites that cannot be vertex-snapped in the editor. As a workaround i altered ProcessTexture in "tk2dSpriteCollectionBuilder.cs" to handle all sprites as if they are complety filled and contain no alpha. Did i just miss an option somewhere?

best regards,
    Andreas

46. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi Andreas,

1. We have tried it with both SVN, Git and Hg, and it seems to work properly with both when we last checked. The information is all stored in .tk2d, so if you have done any version control functions, you should delete this and let it regenerate the index. Please PM me if you have any further problems and I will investigate.

2. There isn't an option right now to disable this, but we will in the next version. I am not sure of release date for it though. What you are doing in tk2dSpriteCollectionBuilder is probably the best thing to do for now.

Regards,
    unikron

47. oliverdb

oliverdb

I am doing transition animation using the camera going from one screen to another. My problem is that the sprites seem to wooble a bit. Is is floating point operations inaccuracies and is it because i move the cam?

48. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

This happens sometimes because of the texture hardware, but I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing. You can help reduce occurrences of this by moving in pixel increments.

49. oliverdb

oliverdb

Hey Unicron

Thankyou for the feedback. I am seeing the weirdest thing with my script

In the unity editor I see this, and it resizes perfectly. Notice the scalefactor

Code (csharp):
    2. RESIZING button
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    4. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    5. SpriteButtonresizer:Start() (at Assets/scripts/sprites/SpriteButtonresizer.cs:31)
    7. (Filename: Assets/scripts/sprites/SpriteButtonresizer.cs Line: 31)
    9. MISSING WIDTH 2.113602
    10. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    11. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    12. SpriteButtonresizer:Start() (at Assets/scripts/sprites/SpriteButtonresizer.cs:43)
    14. (Filename: Assets/scripts/sprites/SpriteButtonresizer.cs Line: 43)
    16. SCALEFACTOR1.535804
    17. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    18. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    19. SpriteButtonresizer:Start() (at Assets/scripts/sprites/SpriteButtonresizer.cs:46)

But on IOS I get much much small scale factors with the same code? And my buttons does not get resized? I have tried everthing from textmesh to renderer and the sprite object itself. The problem is that my game has multilanguage support and I need to rely on dynamic scaling
    Code (csharp):
    2. RESIZING button
    4. (Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Runtime/ExportGenerated/iPhonePlayer-armv7/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 34)
    6. MISSING WIDTH 0.1552681
    8. (Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Runtime/ExportGenerated/iPhonePlayer-armv7/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 34)
    10. SCALEFACTOR1.039361

50. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hey,

Get in touch with email - support at unikronsoftware dot com. I'm not sure whats wrong with what you've posted - will need more info.

unikron