Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Toolkit - 2D in Unity made simple [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by unikronsoftware, Jun 16, 2011.

1. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

We will be changing it so the default behaviour is to sort all newly added sprites when you click Commit. This will be in the next release.

Regarding creating more atlases when one is full, this behaviour is actually intentional. We have some advanced features, for example sprite dicing, which lets you save a lot of space. Its actually easier for a person to look at the atlas to sort similar objects together, than it is to write an algorithm to automatically do this. We have no plans right now to do this, thought we might do something about it later.

unikron

2. griffonz

griffonz

just an FYI, I picked up Playmaker with the 2d Toolkit, and while I'm not doing anything advanced really -- it was extremely straightforward to write some custom actions for tk2d, like playing animations, etc...

3. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Thanks for the note griffonz.
    This will most certainly be helpful to anyone else who is planning on using Playmaker with 2D Toolkit.

4. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Based on the suggestions so far, we have added a couple of new features. These features will be in 1.05, though we do not have any firm release date for this yet.

1. Auto sort by texture name when adding new textures. This does an alphanumeric sort so you can have frames like Frame1 .. Frame12 and they will be correctly ordered.
    2. Autofill in Animation Editor. This will extend the frames based on the last frame, looking for the next numbered one. So if your last frame is "Frame3" it will look for Frame4, Frame5 and so on until it cant find any more frames. This massively reduces the time required to set up animations.

A very short video demonstrating these two features.

unikron

5. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

very nice addition, huge time saver.

6. appleunited

appleunited

May I know if this 2D Toolkit used for making in game HUD for a 3D game? Or is this merely for making 2d games? Thanks. :)

7. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

I think that if you name your assets wisely, name sorting will be much quicker than anything else.
    And I also do think that a real fire and forget asset manager would do the atlas management for me too, at least if it is simple, let the user choose. Maybe a simple checkbox somewhere that says "handle atlas creation automatically).

Using this kind of Middleware is for me all about speed and making anything manually is not quick enough to my test.
    Anyway, great job, I will switch to 2DT for my new projects as soon as the name sorting is available, it is clearly much streamlined than SM2.
    All the best,
    yann.

8. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

You can indeed use it for a HUD in a 3D game. We use it for a HUD in a 2D game, but the same concepts apply directly. Create a second orthographic camera, position it somewhere in the world, and make it only render tagged 2D objects. You can then position your HUD elements (sprites and text) in there.

In addition, because sprites are simply quads in 3d space, you can position them in your 3d scene too.

9. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

We have certainly taken your feedback on board, and can see the value of automatic sprite management for large amounts of animated sprites. I have no timeline for this, but we will definitely look into this.

The name management as in the video will be in the next release very very soon, hopefully early next week.

unikron

10. xenop

xenop

Hi there.

I am very happy with you plug-in and I really love it. I have only one problem. When I put a sprite in the scene and place a other sprite behind it(say 2 units) to get a parallax effect Unity sometimes does not know which sprite he must show. Sometimes one of the sprites pops off. I use a Perspective camera by the way.

I hope you can help me with that problem.

Xenop.

11. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Could you email the scene? I think I know what the problem is, but I can't say for sure without seeing it. You can replace your textures with similarly sized blank textures if you are working on a confidential project.

unikron

12. sicga123

sicga123

@Unikron

I'm a bit of a newbie at Unity and I got this tool to help with a 2D game. The workflow is amazing but in testing it the sprite animation wouldn't play although it was set to play on start. I also had a problem with the namespace. I was wondering whether you had any more detailed examples of loading a sprite and getting an animation to play?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

Hi unikron, I wanna make you a little petition for this awesome toolkit:

- Frame events: when a certain animation reachs a certain frame, something happen on this frame.

Example: an character plays X animation and, in frame X, will instantiate a collider in x,y,z position that reduce enemy´s health if hits with it.

it´ll be possible?

14. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi.

I have just tested creating animations with the latest version and it seems fine. The animations only play when the game is running (i.e. when you press Play in Unity), so just checking that it was running when it wouldn't play? They are not meant to play in the viewport while in Edit mode.

Could you PM more details about this problem if you're still experiencing it, and the problem with the namespace?

unikron

15. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

It is definitely possible, and quite a sensible request. We will try to get that in for the next release.

In terms of performance though, it would probably be better to have a delegate like AnimationCompleteDelegate, eg. AnimationEventDelegate(AnimationClip clip, int frame, string eventData) rather than using messages to send data (even though messages are far more convenient to work with).

What do you (or anyone else for that matter) think of that?

16. aigam

aigam

I prefer the delegate, faster is always better!

17. mongma

mongma

Hi.

I 've seen your tutorial videos, I know that your 2d tool kit can make good animation character with anchor point rotation.

but how about traditional sprites animation?

Does 2d tool kit can make 2D animation from 2D sequenced images or combined image?

18. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

thanks unikron for your quick response, i´ll be awaiting for the next release.

19. ArtX

ArtX

Hi

Please help me how to make fadeIn fadeOut sprite animation(using editor only)?

20. bryanleister

bryanleister

I just upgraded to Unity 3.4 and am getting this error:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/TK2DROOT/tk2d/Sprites/Editor/tk2dSpriteEditor.cs(30,49): error CS0030: Cannot convert type `int' to `UnityEditor.Tools'
    Any suggestions?

21. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Yes,

Please remove the entire OnSceneGUI function in tk2dSpriteEditor.cs. That function was just a prototype for a widget which we have abandoned. This will be removed in the next update.

unikron

22. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

You can currently create 2D Animations from sequenced images (no support for combined images right now). It will be even easier with the new 1.5 update which has been submitted now. This video demonstrates the new features (auto sorting auto fill) which makes it really quick to fill out animation sequences.

unikron

23. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Doing a fadein-fadeout animation is slightly tricky, and perhaps a bit over complicated without code. In older (non-public) versions, we had it so you could animate any of the parameters using the animation editor. This however, required update to be called every frame to poll the changes, which would become very very expensive for all the rest of the sprites.

So the best option here is to create a coroutine which will animate the color over time and call it from the animation editor. This is probably best for performance.

If you aren't concerned about performance, drop us a PM and we'll sort you out with one of our older scripts (which polls these values, and will work with the animation editor).

unikron

24. spartan

spartan

I have downloaded Unity 3.4 and 2D Toolkit has 2 fatal errors:

Assets/TK2DROOT/tk2d/Sprites/Editor/tk2dSpriteEditor.cs(32,27): error CS0019: Operator `==' cannot be applied to operands of type `UnityEditor.Tool' and `int'

Assets/TK2DROOT/tk2d/Sprites/Editor/tk2dSpriteEditor.cs(30,31): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type `int' to `UnityEditor.Tool'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)
    --- Edit----

Already removed OnSceneGui as you said and it's working.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  25. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

We have submitted 1.05b to the asset store.

Changelog:
    - Multiline text re-added (botched merge resulted in getting deleted)
    - Expanded tk2d_demo package as requested
    - Autosorting filenames when inserting into project
    - Quick fill names for animations. This works even when the filenames aren't sorted
    - Fixed bug with duplicate sprites in one sprite collection not appearing correctly
    - Fixed incompatibility with Unity 3.4

unikron

26. davidnunez

davidnunez

Hi ArtX,

We did a really quick and dirty fadeIn and fadeOut using tk2d. attach this script to the object that contains the tk2dsprite and then call FadeIn or FadeOut via something like gameObject.SendMessage('FadeIn', 3) (the parameter '3' means that the fade will take 3 seconds).

Definitely not the most efficient way to do this, but it works fine in our app.

David

Code (csharp):
    1. private var sprite:tk2dSprite;
    3. function Start() {
    4.     sprite = gameObject.GetComponent('tk2dSprite') as tk2dSprite;
    5. }
    7. function FadeIn (time : float) {
    8.     var originalTime :float= time;
    9.     while (time >= 0.0)
    10.     {
    11.         time -= Time.deltaTime;
    12.         sprite.color = Color.Lerp(Color(1,1,1,1), Color(1,1,1,0), time/originalTime);
    13.         print ('color' + sprite.color);
    14.         yield;
    15.     }
    16. }
    18. function FadeOut (time : float) {
    19.     var originalTime :float= time;
    20.     while (time >= 0.0)
    21.     {
    22.         time -= Time.deltaTime;
    23.         sprite.color = Color.Lerp(Color(1,1,1,0), Color(1,1,1,1), time/originalTime);
    24.         yield;
    25.     }
    26. }

27. ArtX

ArtX

Thanks unikron davidnunez for quick answer. It's really helpful

28. ArtX

ArtX

Hi

I found some issue with tk2dFont. It work perfect with ANSI symbols (only 256 symbols) but in my situation i have more than 256 and when i committed the result stay 256 symbols. Is it possible to fix it. It will be great when it will be work with UTF8

My font View attachment $Minion_Pro.zip

I solved it by replacing "public int numCharacters = 256;" in tk2dFont.cs to "public int numCharacters = 1241;"(in my situation). But it is not optimal. Wait for fix it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  29. halgorithm

halgorithm

Just purchased 2D Toolkit 1.05 today! Really satisfied with this product so far, it looks miles better than SpriteManager 2. I too would like to request sprite animations that can be created from a single spritesheet image in addition to the current setup of using separate images together.

By the way Unikron, you may want to update the first post of this thread with that video that was just recently posted, along with the 1.05 announcement. Thanks again for this incredible tool!

30. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi do you mean a sprite sheet which is uniformly divided? If that is the case expect something in a future release.

Unikron

31. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

This is slightly tricky. Ideally the lookup needs to be an array for fast lookup. What you're doing, while it wastes a bit of memory, is probably the best idea. We used to have a base offset, but that wouldn't help your case.

Anyone else require non ASCII char sets?

Unikron

32. halgorithm

halgorithm

Yeah, so that we are able to turn something like this...

http://www.thebest3d.com/pda/tutorials/array2animation/walksequence_spritesheet.png

... into an animation to use inside Unity! It would also be nice if the empty space around each sprite cell could be cut out to save space, though I think you already included that in your tool.

33. Loud

Loud

I just got the 2D Toolkit and I'm loving it. Great work unikron! I was able to get a custom font up and running within 10 minutes. I tried doing a custom font with other solutions and I spent almost a whole day and still couldn't get it to work.

One thing that I wanted to do was position my text so that it would work with any resolution so I made a quick script this morning to do that. I thought I would share, I hope that's ok. It's in javascript. It is a first draft so there may be some minor bugs but it's doing everything I need just fine. It doesn't take into account camera orientation so it will only work with cameras with no rotation.

CameraPositionHelper.js
    Attach this to the object that you want to position and select the target camera that will define the screen positioning dimensions. Now you can position it similar to a GUIText object. Note that positioning the object by changing transform values will no longer work, just use Screen Position and Pixel Offset.
    Code (csharp):
    2. /**
    3. * Used for positioning 3D objects relative to a camera viewport
    4. */
    6. // ExecuteInEditMode lets us get around a Unity bug that reports wrong screen sizes in editor mode
    7. @script ExecuteInEditMode()
    9. class CameraPositionHelper extends MonoBehaviour {
    11.     public var targetCamera:Camera;
    13.     public var screenPosition:Vector2;
    14.     public var pixelOffset:Vector2;
    16.     private var lastScreenRes:Vector2;
    18.     //============================
    19.     // Events
    20.     //============================
    22.     public function Start() {
    23.         handleResolutionChange();
    24.     }
    26.     // The Update loop is only used for the editor
    27.     // Note: This only triggers when the object needs updating (values are changed)
    28.     public function Update() {
    29.         if (!Application.isPlaying) {
    30.             updatePosition();
    31.         }
    32.     }
    34.     // Handles screen size changes
    35.     private function handleResolutionChange():IEnumerator {
    36.         while (1) {
    37.             if (lastScreenRes != Vector2(Screen.width, Screen.height)) {
    38.                 updatePosition();
    39.             }
    40.             yield new WaitForSeconds(.4);
    41.         }
    42.     }
    44.     public function updatePosition() {
    45.         if (targetCamera != null) {
    46.             var position:Vector2 = getPosition();
    47.             var destination:Vector3 = targetCamera.ScreenToWorldPoint(Vector3(position.x, position.y, 0));
    48.             transform.position.x = destination.x;
    49.             transform.position.y = destination.y;
    50.             // No need to set the z, let the objects handle their own z
    51.             lastScreenRes = Vector2(Screen.width, Screen.height);
    52.         }
    53.     }
    55.     private function getPosition():Vector2 {
    56.         var position:Vector2 = Vector2(Screen.width * screenPosition.x, Screen.height - (Screen.height * screenPosition.y));
    57.         position.x += pixelOffset.x;
    58.         position.y -= pixelOffset.y;
    59.         return position;
    60.     }
    62. }

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  34. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Thanks for sharing the script Loud. That looks really useful.

unikron

35. mongma

mongma

Oh, that's great. I'll be one of your customers. thanks.

36. halgorithm

halgorithm

Hi, just like to point out that part of the documentation was kind of confusing for me while I was trying to get sprites to show up pixel perfectly. I thought "Target Ortho Size" was literally the number that the main camera should have as its size value in orthographic mode, but this caused the sprites to be enormous. It seems that it's actually just a multiple of your "Target Height", so if your "Target Height" was 768 then you would need to set your main camera's size to 768 as well for it to show up correctly with a "Target Ortho Size" of 1.0.

Also, I was wondering if there were any plans to add a 2D Tilemap component in the near future? It would be really convenient for setting up large levels easily using CSV from a text file and saving memory on sprites... though, I'm not sure how badly other people need this feature too, probably not as much as myself. :p

37. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the confusion with Target Ortho Size and Target Height. We have clarified that in the docs, and that will be in the next release.

You're not the only one who has asked for a tilemap feature, and we are considering it.

unikron

38. halgorithm

halgorithm

Just a small, strangely specific bug to point out that I found (not sure how):

I made a project with 1024x768 display resolution with an orthographic camera with size = 1.0 at (0,0,-10) looking down the +Z-axis. The Sprite Collection has "Target Height" = 768 and "Target Ortho Size" = 1.0. I create a sprite with default scaling (1,1,1, it's pixel perfect), but when it is placed at the same X and Y as the camera (0,0), it is 1 pixel thicker and taller than it should be (the center row/column is extended). Moving the sprite to the right/up a tiny bit makes the extra 1 pixel of thickness in each dimension go away. However, the extra pixel of thickness comes back if I place the sprite at any multiple of 0.25 (X = 0.25, X = 0.75, etc.).

So yeah, it's a weird, small bug. Let me know if you need any more info to reproduce the bug, I tried to be as specific as I could!

39. jeedee

jeedee

It would be very nice to have a documented API eventually so we don't have to poke in code to add our game sprites without using the editor. Keep up the good work! :D

40. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,
    Getting this looked into now. I will PM if we need more information.

unikron

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  41. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

The reason there isn't a documented API for creating sprites in code, is that how the system uses SpriteCollections internally makes it a bit more complicated than it would otherwise. The GUI nicely encapsulates all the complexity of that; thats why we recommend simply Instantiating prefabs.

If you have any suggestion for how the API should look, please do post here / PM, and we will consider it for inclusion in the next release.

unikron

42. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

This looks like its correct behaviour, even though its not particularly pleasant to look at; you can verify it by placing your sprite on a plane and scaling positioning the plane at the same location. It is due to the GPU sampling an "incorrect" pixel due to the position of the sprite being not aligned to a pixel boundary.

This could be fixed by tweaking with UVs while moving the sprite around but this would end up being very costly in terms of performance. A better option would be to snap the sprite to a pixel boundary if this ends up being a big problem.

If you want us to look at your scene (or if you think there still is a problem), send us a PM with a link to it, and I can look into it for you.

unikron

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  43. halgorithm

halgorithm

I see, I think I understand. So, when the sprite is perfectly centered in the frame of the camera, it's center/edges are actually located halfway between pixels, rather than aligned? That seems to make sense. That means if I set my camera's size to be half my screen height (so 1 world unit in Unity = 1 screen pixel) and add/subtract 0.5, 0.5 from the X,Y position of the camera, it should align perfectly, right? Let me go test that...

Yup, it works perfectly! The sprite shows up with no pixel weirdness if I set its X/Y to an integer (weirdness comes with decimal points, as you would expect since that moves it between pixels). Is there any way for the sprite meshes to take this into account by maybe truncating the sprite's position to an int when it has to render (so that the transform keeps subpixel accuracy but only renders to the pixel)? If it's not possible then I guess I'll just have to have dummy gameObjects that sprites snap to (truncating the dummy's positions to ints as they go). Though, I'll have to resize the orthographic camera and rescale all the sprites whenever the resolution changes... hmm.

Anyway, I'm glad I understand what's going on now. Thanks for looking into this guys! Hopefully there's a way to accommodate for it without being too much trouble for most users...

44. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

I'm still not 100% convinced this is the best we can get, I'll look into other options, eg. offsetting 0.5 in texture space, which seems to cause other issues. My only worry is texture sampling points are different in Opengl vs Direct3d, and that Unity doesn't take that into account. I'll get this checked out tomorrow on Mac / iPhone vs Windows. Any other "automated" option tends to be quite expensive as it will require updating meshes every frame.

You don't have to resize the orthographic camera and/or rescale the sprites in all cases, but that really depends on what you're doing and what you're trying to achieve. You can obviously change the relative scale of the camera and leave everything in place. Also, you can do the math in fractions and leave everything as is. Obviously it gets a bit messy, but it will give you exactly the same result.

In any case I'm not considering this issue solved just yet, there might be something we can do.

unikron

45. TommiH

TommiH

Hello.

Can you explain the three values in the Pixel Perfect Helper? My graphics are made for the 320x480 resolution, and I'd like them to scale for the iPhone 4 at least. I find it most convenient to place the GUI in a 320x480 unit grid in my scene (quite big, I know). Hence, the orthographic size of the camera is 240 (half of the height). The following values seem to produce the desired result but they're a result of trial and error:

- Collection Target Height: 480

- Collection Ortho Size: 240

- Target Resolution Height: 1

I'm particularly confused by the Target Resolution Height. Can you tell me what the correct way to set this up is, so that there's no surprises?

46. Kid Germ

Kid Germ

Is there a place I can download and take a look at the documentation before purchasing? The videos are great but I would prefer reading the docs.

Thanks

47. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

For scaling between 320x480 and higher, you don't really need to use the PixelPerfectHelper. That is for more complicated conversions, eg. iPhone -> iPad resolutions.

The way the system works is:
    - You set up a target resolution (height) in your sprite collection.
    - You also tell the sprite collection the ortho size of your camera.
    - Any sprites you create in the scene (as long as your resolution and ortho size remains the same) will be pixel perfect automatically.

If you then double your resolution and not tell the system anything, it will create sprites which will be pixel perfect on a 320x480 screen, but pixel doubled on a 640x960 screen. This means your app will work correctly on 3GS and iPhone4 resolutions, though it will be scaled up on the retina display.

The opposite is also true, where you create artwork targetting 640x960 and let the mipmap draw on iPhone3G. You set up your sprite collection telling it the primary target resolution.

The PixelPerfectHelper is there for when you want to use the same sprites on iPad resolution; eg. 768x1024. In this case, you will need to create a pixelperfecthelper object in your iPad specific scene, and set it up as follows:
    collectionTargetHeight - the same as set up in your SpriteCollection
    collectionOrthoSize - ditto
    targetResolutionHeight - Your new screen height, i.e. 1024 in this case.

This was for a project where we wanted to use the same assets on an iPad game too (and have an universal app).

So, to reiterate, if you are doing iPhone3G - iPhone4, you don't need to use this. This is only for one specific case (as described in the doc) of using the same assets on the iPad.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

unikron

48. harrisyu

harrisyu

Hi, I just purchase 2 days ago,these feature is very import for me,but I found 2 case that it doesn't work:
    1.if there is number before,it doesn't sort the sequence:file name like Idle15fps1.png..Idle15fps16.png
    2.auto fill doesn't recognize file name number with 0 before,like Idle0001.png..Idle0002.png,if you using some animation software you know they normally output image seqeunce with format like this.

Hope you can fix these in the next version,thanks!

49. TommiH

TommiH

Thanks for the answer, unikron, but I'm still not getting it right.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  50. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Yes, this will be fixed in the next version.