We have started preparing the next release.
The new features for the next release will be:
- Improved font / sprite picking using prefab object (thanks for highlighting the issues with a large number of prefabs in the project, Loud). Performance within the interface is now massively improved.
- New atlasing algorithm instead of using the built-in Unity one.
- Able to set up maximum sprite size on SpriteCollection, will present error dialog box if the built atlas exceeds this size.
- Animated sprites will be able to span multiple atlases, and are automatically sorted by name and substrings. Animations are automatically created for the ones based on name, and manually created animations are retained.
- Button gui script and demo scene
- Multiple resolution support (have multiple source images and automatically create multiple atlases for automatic sprite scaling from iPhone4 to iPhone 3G/S resolutions). The atlas generation part of this feature will probably make it in the next release, as it is half complete, but the runtime code may not be in a state fit for general use.
Since this release will be quite large, and contain features we do not really use in house (sprites spanning atlases, etc), it is probably a good idea to release beta versions before submitting to the Asset Store.
If you have purchased 2d toolkit, and wish to help test these betas, or simply to get your hands on these new features sooner, please drop me a PM with your email address & invoice number and I will send you a private link to the current version.