Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

(Windows) Unity uninstall leaves behind Monodevelop - with no uninstaller...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by johnpeat, Jun 8, 2011.

1. johnpeat

johnpeat

It's great that Unity (optionally) installs Monodevelop - it would be nice if it uninstalled it when it's removed.

Instead it leaves it behind with NO UNINSTALLER...

Ideas as to how to remove it - and a slap on the wrist for whoever forgot that part of the uninstall eh?

mknezev likes this.
  2. 2dfxman

2dfxman

Shift+delete :)

3. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

In Windows 7 you can simply uninstall via the Uninstall Programs control panel, like any other program...

4. johnpeat

johnpeat

Not in this WIndows7 I can't - nothing in the Add/Remove programs list - no uninstaller in the Monodevelop/Unity folders.

All that's left is a Unity subfolder in the Programs Menu with a Monodevelop icon (and it launches and works)...

5. johnpeat

johnpeat

I know that I CAN - it's just that it's probably left a tonne of other junk lying around - it's sloppy and unprofessional...

6. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

I have uninstalled Monodevelop on 2 systems, one with Win7 32 bit and one with Win7 64 bit; it works.

Just go to the control panel and uninstall it there like you would anything else.

7. johnpeat

johnpeat

You didn't read my post - I'm talking about the version of Monodevelop which is installed by Unity - no uninstaller is created and the Unity uninstaller doesn't remove it...

8. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

Yes, I did read your post, and I am in fact referring to the version installed with Unity by default. The version of Monodevelop included with Unity can be uninstalled from Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit from the control panel, same as most software installed on Win7.

If for whatever reason you cannot, it's possible something went wrong when Unity/Monodevelop was first installed on your machine. In which I suppose you will have to manually locate and delete Mono's files if you like.

9. johnpeat

johnpeat

To test this I reinstalled Unity today using the latest download - including MonoDevelop - and then checked the Add/Remove programs and there's only 1 entry - for Unity itself.

Uninstalling that removes Unity but NOT MonoDevelop - which is still sitting inside a 'Unity' program group - still launches and work...

10. MarkusDavey

MarkusDavey

Ccleaner ftw!

11. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

I'm sorry, but that's not the case for me with Win7 either 32 or 64 bit. I don't know why this is happening to you, perhaps it's your version of Windows, or something on your system, I honestly am out of ideas, sorry.

12. expn

expn

I think the problem may have occurred with the installation of version 3.4.1.

She also presented other problems, including for compiling Angry Bots exemple.

I'm on a windows7 64.

13. expn

expn

Now I deleted the entire folder of Unity and ran the ccleaner for remove dlls, after I installed the new version 3.4.2, and for some reason the unity remember the project I had previously opened and MonoDevelop does not work!

Does anyone have any tips for me?

14. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

I wouldn't use CCleaner or any type of registy "cleaner"; using this kind of software is asking for major problems.

15. zagahlo

zagahlo

O_O

neonblitzer likes this.
  16. EvanB-H

EvanB-H

You could not be more wrong. I am having the same exact issue. Win7 64bit. Installed by the Unity 3.4.1 installer.

Mono does not come with an uninstaller.

17. bcoyle

bcoyle

Same issue just happened to me. Installed the full Unity package and promptly uninstalled. I was left MonoDevelop with no way to uninstall...

UnitySetup-4.1.2.exe

Windows 7 pro, 64-bit

18. Paul-Boland

Paul-Boland

Same problem here. I've uninstalled Unity 3.4 because I'm downloading the new 4.1.5 version and MonoDevelop is still there, working, with no uninstall options available!?!

19. DDP

DDP

Same thing here

20. Anotheraccount

Anotheraccount

And the same for me on Windows 7. This thread was created two years ago and Unity still hasn't fixed the problem?

21. rswfire

rswfire

I am having the same issue as described by everyone else in this topic. Your attitude in this topic is atrocious and unproductive.

Why, after two years, has this issue remain unresolved?

22. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

Hey,

I have forwarded this problem to developers. We cannot say when the resolution will be publicly available.

Best wishes,
    Ugnius

23. ZiadJ

ZiadJ

Thanks, good to know this is being addressed.

24. Repulsor

Repulsor

I have the same problem. Can not uninstall MonoDevelop. It is not listed in Windows Uninstall Manager under Settings. MonoDevelop does not provide a uninstaller. MonoDevelop stays even after uninstalling Unity completly.

25. warrenblyth

warrenblyth

I have the same problem. Running Windows7 64bit on a Mac (bootcamp). I was having a problem where for the past couple weeks, using Unity 4.3.1f1 Unity woudl crash when I went to close it at the end of a long day. Today unity crashed on me 3 times (ie, i had to open the task manager and force it to quit, because it was not responding for many minutes). Often when switching back and forth from MonoDevelop (trying to lerp Cameras around). Figured I should try to reinstall before checking with my IT dept.

But when i uninstalled 4.3.1f1 (using Unity's uninstaller in the Unity folder), i was left with a Unity folder that had MonoDevelop.

I remember having problems with an Older version of MonoDelop last year, so figured I should uninstall it to. but was baffled that I couldn't find MonoDevelop in the Programs and Features control panel.

Not clear if I should be using some wacky fly by night registry cleaner, or not messing with that stuff at all. then I found this thread. just chiming in with my version of the problem. (if this has been resolved, hope someone will post a link)

26. warrenblyth

warrenblyth

just to follow up (potential solution):
    I went ahead and deleted the left-behind MonoDevelop folder. (i brought up it's properties in the start menu, went to it's path on the hard drive, deleted the whole monoDevelop folder within the Unity folder that the uninstaller had left behind, not just the bin/ subfolder within MonoDevelop/. )
    (I also left an "Editor/" folder alone in the left behind Unity folder, which had 4 files of seemingly no importance).

Then I installed the latest unity (4.3.2f1). and this appears to have installed the latest MonoDevelop ( 4.0.1).
    And I haven't had any more crashes!
    (yet)
    so, success!

27. Teh_K

Teh_K

I, too, had this problem (that the very original post had), but stumbled upon what seems to be an accidental fix... possibly. Here's what happened to me:
    • Installed entire Unity package (4.3.4), which includes MonoDevelop, Sample Project, and the Webplayer.
    • I wanted to remove just MonoDevelop, but couldn't find a way, so I figured I'd uninstall everything and just reinstall Unity without MonoDevelop.
    • As per this bug, I found that MonoDevelop hung around with no way to remove it. The WebPlayer also hung around, but that appears as a separate item in the Program List in Control Panel.
    • So, I gave up and reinstalled the entire Unity package, which mysteriously uninstalled MonoDevelop and the WebPlayer. That's right, it removed those two while installing. I can only guess that the uninstall maybe left behind an installer-config file to remove those other components, and it just didn't happen until the installer is ran again(?) Long shot, but it's all I got.
    • So now, I have Unity installed, and it thinks everything else is installed, which it actually isn't (i.e. WebPlayer broken, Unity can't load MonoDevelop, MonoDevelop folder is gone, etc).
    • So I uninstall the Unity package again, and now everything is gone, including MonoDevelop and WebPlayer.
    Now I can finally reinstall Unity again with the correct packages...

Ugh. But, at least I kind of legitimately removed MonoDevelop...

28. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

If the Unity Uninstaller does not in fact remove MonoDevelop, you will need to do a manual removal of all of the extra files.
    You will need to navigate to and remove anything in the:
    ProgramFiles(x86)\Unity Folder
    ProgramData\Unity Folder
    Users\"YourUser"\AppData\ Folder (this folder has subfolder with Unity and Mono-Unity related items labeled respectively)

That should completely remove MonoDevelop from your machine.

mknezev and TRuoss like this.
  29. 2112

Ed,

Thanks for responding to my request, I trust that this will help folks get past this. Question, what do you recommend in regards to removing traces from the registry?

30. Xnerdz

Xnerdz

I have the same problem in windows 8.1, no uninstaller. Yet, It's such a trivial thing to add when developing a program, offering an uninstaller.

31. numeh

numeh

So it's been about 7 months since this post. Can anyone confirm when this will be fixed? I installed and uninstalled unity today and I am left with MonoDevelop. How do I uninstall this officially?

32. Emplayst

Emplayst

I currently have Visual Studio installed and I'm using it as default external tool to edit scripts . My SSD is rather small and I want to remove monodevelop, but don't really know how, since there is no way to do it though control panel. Please help?

33. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Suggestion:
    I recommend you use the IObit Uninstaller because uninstall the application and clear the registry from that application automatically.
    When you remove application left behind registry junk. The IObit Uninstaller do the job for you. and best performance for you pc too:)

34. fu22ybunny

fu22ybunny

Wow, something is really fishy here. First, mono.exe is deemed a virus my Symantec's heuristic algorithms, and then for some apparent reason, Unity cannot bother themselves to fix an uninstall issue that has been around literally years. Smoke...

35. johnniks

johnniks

How do I use ccleaner to delete/remove MonoDev? I guess I should just delete it manually and then use ccleaner to get rid of the rest of the stuff (reg, dll, whatever)... or?

36. eyalb40

eyalb40

2017, problem still there for windows 10 nice work unity dudes

37. HolyOats

HolyOats

2018, near the end of 2018 and I’m having the same problems. 7 years and still no fix, I’m convinced downloading this was a scam.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  38. deadlyjoker

deadlyjoker

Yo, are you developers actually freaking serious? oO This problem still exist. Pls help to get rid of this program!

39. Mauri

Mauri

40. Shaba1

Shaba1

I am going to try EVERYTHING in this thread. I use Visual Studio Code becasue it is cross language and lightweight. I TRIED Monodevelop with my old machine and it froze that machine up so badly I had to power down and power back up. That left me with bad feelings toward it. VSC is MUCH better behaved for me.

41. Shaba1

Shaba1

I am going to try everything in this article

42. traveler5260

traveler5260

Search "Uninstall a program" on your Window search bar, and Search the program. Then you can uninstall it. Same withe the upper Window version.

Attached Files: