Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniDDatabase 2.0

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by namoricoo, Jun 3, 2011.

1. jeon

jeon

I had just bought UniDDataBase 3.0. I had to convert CSV 2 UniDDatabase.

Row of my data is about 4000. DB Creat!

But!!!! the error message -> IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range....

DB TXT file size was over 7MB.

I will develop English Wordbook for iPhone / Android.

Your product is not covered by a large DB?

2. namoricoo

namoricoo

I've sent you several messages from my phone. They did not go through. I think the BlackBerry network is still having problems. I'm with my computer now. There's a 99.9% probability you only have at least one extra comma in there. You can E-mail me a copy of your original file. I'll take a look at it and resolve this for you today. You should be able to catch your own mistake if you look for the following. Let's say for example. You have a table with 3 rows and two columns.

"Name","ID","Description"
    "Bob",1,"me,myself,and I"
    "Andy",2,"He's a nice guy"

We see in the that me,myself, and I have 3 commas. However, it's the same cell. The program will treat it as 3 fields. So instead of seing 3 columns. Any application with CSV import will treat it as 5 columns. To fix this problem I implemented the @_Comma_@. so to get the first one working correctly we need to do the following.

"Bob",1,"me@_Comma_@myself@_Comma_@and I" By replacing the comma with the @_Comma_@ UniDDatabase will be aware of how to treat the data in the row correctly.

3. jeon

jeon

@ namoricoo

I send you mail...

4. prefix

prefix

:( I think that anyone taking their time to ultimately "help" the community, deserves a little more respect than this.

Great job on the vid's. It looks great so far, keep up the good work!

5. namoricoo

namoricoo

Thank you for your encouragement brother Prefix. There is a Big Lack of Respect from these other developers. One of the Main reasons I decided not to sell any of my other advanced tool in the Asset Store. That Jeon user had the Audacity to send me a private e-mail. Called me an Idiot because My product will not import Korean words. I explained to him that Unity Does not support Those international words, that's why I'm not getting in that direction. And some people wonder why the smartest developers are abandoning their projects after only a couple of months.

6. Anatronica

Anatronica

i think i could buy this, its what i need to be honest! thank you for developing this!
    i dont want to start a flame but you could try acupuncture treatment for alergies :D

7. namoricoo

namoricoo

Link with Anatomy model

I have a working example with in Game-inline search that I will include in the next update cycle. There's a search bar while the game is running and you can type what you are looking for.

I Guess people don't like to leave feedback. I went out of my want to help him. He said he would leave feedback and never did. When your doing something positive you never get feedback.

This is Victor's project not mine. He just purchased my product for the search capabilities.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. Mishaps

Mishaps

Hi I purchased your plugin to get sound working with Edy's Vehicle Physics like in your demo video. It said add the "CarMotionAudio.txt" database to the script but I am unable to find this in your package. What should I do to get it working?

9. namoricoo

namoricoo

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Several people own my product and it's the first time I'm hearing this. PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you. In the next update cycle I'll make sure it's included. The low sales figures have been a little disappointing so I apologize for any inconvenience.

10. namoricoo

namoricoo

I just e-mailed you a link where you can download the file from.

11. hrios1987

hrios1987

Hello,

I am new in databases but I bought the UniSqlite, because I need its features for one of my projects, I saw that you have some examples of how to use the database, but I didn´t come with the imported package, Do you have a website where I can download??

Thanks for your help,

12. namoricoo

namoricoo

sounds like you confused my UniDDatabase product with UniSqlite. UniDDatabase comes with examples. However, UniSqlite does not with with Any examples. UniDDatabase has a lower learning curve. UniDDatabase Asset Store Link

13. namoricoo

namoricoo

Brother hrios1987 , PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a link where you can download a couple of examples. When you export Sqlite it does not export with Unity. You have to do it separately.

14. hrios1987

hrios1987

Hello again Namoricoo,

With UniDDatabase 3.0 ( I am using unity 3.4.1f5) got this errors:

Assets/Plugins/UniDDatabase_CS_JS/Private_UniDDatabase_CS_JS/WwwWrapper.cs(175,43): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.WWW' does not contain a definition for `movie' and no extension method `movie' of type `UnityEngine.WWW' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Plugins/UniDDatabase_CS_JS/Private_UniDDatabase_CS_JS/WwwWrapper.cs(235,55): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.WWW' does not contain a definition for `movie' and no extension method `movie' of type `UnityEngine.WWW' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Exception: Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.BuildPlayerWithDefaultSettings (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions forceOptions) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:367)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.GUIBuildButtons (Boolean enableBuildButton, Boolean enableBuildAndRunButton, Boolean canInstallInBuildFolder) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:979)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.ShowBuildTargetSettings () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:953)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:726)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:225)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:218)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:119)

Any idea?

I think these are for download stuff, but I dont need this feature, so I commented the lines with errors, then I tried to compile on Android some of your examples (date an time example) but it is not showing anything in the GUI, when I compile them to windows It works fine. Also the database for the example AlphabetTextureAndSound with the JS script the databse is missing.

Thanks for you help I hope you can help me.

15. namoricoo

namoricoo

I sent you a private mesage about this problem. The Movie feature is for Unity pro only so removing them was the correct thing to do. I will remove that feature in the next update cycle.

Let me know if any of the C# examples work on Android. This is now my number one priority. To fix and Android Related problems.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  16. joschy3d

joschy3d

Hi namoricoo,
    we just purchased your UniDDatabase and i have one question. Is it possible to add fields in the database during run time? Example:

No indexer firstname lastname

And during the game a script fills in the fields with registered entries.

tia,
    joschy3d

17. namoricoo

namoricoo

Adding a new Row with one line of code.

1) UniDDatabaseCs.AddNewRecord(ddatabase);

Where ddatabase is the file attached to the inspector. So it does not matter how many columns are in the database. Only need one line of code to add a new , empty record. To populate a specific cell you would use the update code.

To Delete a Row, it's one line of code a well.
    2)UniDDatabaseCs.DeleteRecord(ddatabase, columnNumber);

18. joschy3d

joschy3d

thank´s namoricco, that´s easy and cool :)

19. songie

songie

hi, i am looking for a database to use for my game and ive read the entire thread as i am pretty interested in this, now my question is, you said you used Playmaker yourself how does it work with its FSM's ?

Does it automatically save the state of the each fsm or am i missing something?

What i currently use the variables inside the fsm's is to create a character with, strings, floats etc do they get autmatically saved when a player creates their character? I know almost 0 about sql and databases, so before i take the plunge at a saving system i need to know it works or ill be plunging towards multiple ones until one "works" so to speak.

20. forgottenmindset

forgottenmindset

This sounds really interesting and I'm making a game with a busy city environment and lots of npcs, but I still can't conceptualize completely what this is really for. I haven't gotten far with anything other than small demos with Unity so far, so maybe I'm in the dark, and I definitively see your point about abstracting the data from the design, as a web developer myself, but I think I'm not the only one who doesn't quite 'get it'.

As far as the car hitting the trees and other objects, playing different sounds for each, why couldn't you have each object have a layer defined (wood, building, car) to be sought by the car's script (during collision event) to then determine which sound to play by editing a list value from the car's collision script's inspector.

If I wanted to change the sound of when my car hits a palm tree, I'd just have to find the car's prefab, and modify the public list in the inspector, voila. So are you saying this gets really slow if I had a list of say, 1500 material layers? I'm sure it would be, but that's a little crazy for this example as I would never get that detailed for the number of sound collision variations.

So if I DID want to get that crazy, your database will search the list much faster than a normal dictionary list? In this example?

Can someone give me a better example? Like related to managing autonomous NPCs, or dynamic level loading (without loading screens)?

PS: Let me also clarify I've only really used Javascript static arrays, where you can change the list size in the inspector easily and add keys nicely. Can you not do the same for Array Lists or Dictionaries in C# (maintaining the list in the inspector by defining the variable as public)?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  21. namoricoo

namoricoo

I have Playmaker. However, I'm a programmer. I'm in the habit of writting something once and never having to worry about it again. These FSM tools look like a lot of work to most programmers. I'm in the process of adding some simplicity to my code. Let me give you 3 examples.

string playerName=UniDDatabaseCs.GetStringWhereColumnRowEquals(ddatabase,0,3);

This code will not work with the current version of UniDDatabase in the Asset Store. It's an update I''m working on. In this example the zero is the Column number, and the 3 is the row number. I can get one string anywhere in my database with one line of code. Or I can use my advance feature to get any number of strings in the column. Still one line of code. Another Example.

int playerScore=UniDDatabaseCs.GetIntWhereColumnRowEquals(ddatabase,3,0);

I'm getting the score for the player with one line of code. With Player preferences you have to remember a lot of keys. If I create a script that uses player preferences and I give it to you. If I don't tell you what my keys are, you'll be banging your head trying to figure out what's going one. With my system you open the file in the editor and you visually see where everything is.

So I don't see how I would automate one line of code. The same one line of code logic works with Local assets or Remote Assets. I should have some Newbie friendly video soon.

22. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm working on more Newbie friendly examples.

23. songie

songie

I did some perl work on the EQ emulator to create custom scripts, but ussualy reverse engineered stuff together with documentation, now how playmaker works is that you have an object with say the String PlayerName, but i have 10 copies of that object, how does the database know wich one to save? Or can i only use Global Variables for it ?

I ussualy got some good ideas but i never plunged the "need to be able to program" but i have a fair grasp of logic and how it all works, if i look at a page of code i go ....oh damn ... if i look at PlayMakers FSM, its fairly easy to me.

What i need to know is, can i load and save variables from FSM's with a minial of scripting or coding? preferbly no scripting but yeah...if there is some ill handle it.

Just a Yes you can save FSM's states variables into the database or Nope doesnt work is what i need to know, as to the answer i got i dont know if thats a yes, a no or a maybe.

Allot of people use PlayMaker and pretty much nothing is able to save states or even access its FSM globals unless by an external script targetting that fsm, but getting the data saved is a whole other thing...

One FSM in my project handles character creation like in a good old pen and paper RPG but at the end the player needs to be able to save its character, thats what i need a save load for.

Looking forward to the Newbie friendly examples :)

24. namoricoo

namoricoo

I can train UniDDatabase to Manage anything. It's a matter of time and return on Investment. I'm a programmer so I like to get my hands dirty with the code when I build stuff. I have Zero Understanding of how playmaker works. I purchased the product. Played with it for 15 minutes last years. I've never re-opened it after that. So to answer your question, the Answer is No. At the moment UniDDatabase does not save machine states.
    " but i have 10 copies of that object, how does the database know wich one to save? Or can i only use Global Variables for it ?"

I can give you an Example of how UniDDatabase is designed to be used. The player only has one Name. Or a First name and a last Name. If your have 10 references to that object and you update the name in the database. you will just have to update the references to the name in the database.

An Example that may make more sense. At the start of the game you load score from the UniDDatabase with one line of code. Now you have a reference of the score. The user is playing for 5 minutes. Gets 500points. Now the user reaches the end of the level. So from 0 up to 500 you will not be saving that information to the database. you only save if the user "wins". At the end of the Level or at the checkpoint you will perform a save. The save logic used in God of War, GTA4, Saint's Row, or any other game on the market. You only save at a checkpoint or at the end of the level. It will be a one line of code operation.

//Update int cell (column 0,row 0 )
    bool isGoodUpdate=UniDDatabaseCs.SetIntWhereColumnRowEquals(ddatabase,0,3,500);
    Debug.Log("Is successfull update="+isGoodUpdate);

Now that you've updated the ddatabase. If you have 10 references to the database you will have one if statement.

if(isGoodUpdate==true)
    {
    //Write code here to update the 10 references to the player Name.....

}

25. songie

songie

Ok lets say, an FSM is used to create a character his name is John into the String CharacterName that resides in the state machine called "Character Creator" at the end of the FSM character creator i want to save this String to file. This is possible ?

on another note, why cant we use the sql database version for unity indie? just not supported by unity?

26. namoricoo

namoricoo

Unity wants people to spent $1500 on Unity pro in order to have access to sqlite and the other databases. Example MySql requires Unity pro for Network access, multiplayer games.

You keep asking me questions about what is possible with FSM. I explained to you it's all possible. However, you have to create your own custom FSM where you'll put the one line of code to get or set the data.

27. songie

songie

This was what i needed to know, thanks. the other explanations or examples did not really answer my question.

28. SeanP

SeanP

Is there some kind of limitation to building out to Web Player while using UniDD? when we build out to web player it does not bring along any of the database information.

29. namoricoo

namoricoo

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention. I will look for a solution for this problem. I did fix the problem it was having with Android. Now I will look for a simple solution for Webplayer.

30. namoricoo

namoricoo

I think I see what the problem is. UniDDatabase is using System.IO, For Security reason, that's blocked because you may not have permission to read/write to the network. I'm investigating an elegant work around.

31. SeanP

SeanP

awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

32. namoricoo

namoricoo

I started writing some of the functions for both Windows Web player and OSX webplayer. I will post a video when I'm done. I have new, long work schedule. So I'll have to do this in my free time.

33. SeanP

SeanP

Have there been any progress on this? or an idea of how long it may take? We wanted to run our demo through a webplayer and this is preventing us from being able to.

34. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm looking for the simplest way to do this without introducing users to something new.

35. namoricoo

namoricoo

I work 6 days a week. At the moment I would have to sell 79 more units before I break even. So I can drop things that pay to work on this where I'm losing money. So I work on this on my time off. I fixed 4 issues with UniDDatabase last week.

36. namoricoo

namoricoo

I have written most of the User friendly functions. Now I will focus on the Web player problems. When I'm done I will work on improved documentation. I may have to increase the price in order to help balance out the universe.

37. Tim Hays

Tim Hays

I'm very glad to hear of your progress, I've been following this closely since my client really needs the webplayer features working right away. I would be happy to pay more for your tool and purchase your other product(s) just to help out with extending your development, thanks!

BTW: I really love how easy it was for me to export from Excel as a CSV file and import into your database tool, then view the data using your EzTextUpdate template as an example to build-upon. I had a couple of minor quirks with the format of my data, but it was really quick and easy to use and the most important thing is that it really saved me time!
    Thanks again and keep up the good work!
    -Tim Hays

38. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm experimenting with a new design pattern for built-in documentation. I'm also made some new mental connections that led to some new code I will be experimenting with this week.

39. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm 50% finished with Web player functionality. I have a 6 day work week again so the progress will be slow this week. If people want to make donations in order to encourage the progress. You can send me a PM.

40. namoricoo

namoricoo

Today we are 60% finished with the code.

41. namoricoo

namoricoo

$Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 12.42.49 PM.png

This is the first good web Built. We are 70% finished. Still have a lot of test to run. And we also have to get the update working correctly.

42. namoricoo

namoricoo

Now we just have to get the webplayer update functions to work...

43. namoricoo

namoricoo

Update functions are now working in Webplayer. So we are 80% finished.

44. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm projecting a tentative release date of next week for the next major update to UniDDatabase.

45. namoricoo

namoricoo

Still need a reset code for the Web player. I also need to work on the documentation before I can release the next update. only had 1 sale the entire month. I have paid php assignments waiting for me elsewhere. So I'll have to put this on hold. I'll still try to get it to the asset store b4 the end of the week. Depending on how much PHP work I have to do.

46. namoricoo

namoricoo

For anyone following the UniDDatabase progress. I did a bug report last week with some problems I was having. I got this message today from Unity. They have developers working on a bug I found. I will re-structure the code to work around this problem.

"
    Hello,

Issue was reproduced and assigned to developers.

Regards,

QA Engineer
    "

47. namoricoo

namoricoo

Reset now working in the web player. I'm experimenting with a "Copy and Paste" documentation format that will be built into the editor for ease of access. As soon as I can get that and some other minor updates to work I will submit the final product to the asset store.

48. runner

runner

just popped by too say watching the progress :)

Thanks

49. namoricoo

namoricoo

I just got a reminder why I hate going to the asset store. I logged in, getting errors that are preventing me from downloading anything from the asset store. I'm trying to buy the old version of my product in order to add the updates to it. I get a dumb errors. This is very aggravating Asset store people if you are reading this. If you are doing maintenance, put up a sign so that I don't waste my time.

Attached Files:

50. namoricoo

namoricoo

I won't let you guys down. The new updates will have an improved Integration with Unity Android, IOS, and Webplayer. The problem was the Unity Sandbox. Instead of working against it. We decided to work with it. I've been busy with a lot of PHP code recently so it's taking longer than expected. I'm late for work and the Asset Store is prevented me from downloading my own product which I'll have to pay for.

Thanks Unity.... NOT!!!!