Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniDDatabase 2.0

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by namoricoo, Jun 3, 2011.

1. runner

runner

Excellent Thank You for the prompt Support

I look forward to the updated videos and documentation improvements now i can proceed with development.

Will give this package a rating you deserve this for the product and support :)

2. namoricoo

namoricoo

I should have tested on PC before I submitted the last update to the AssetStore. The Goal is to have UniDDatabase working on all platforms.In the next update Cycle I will Add Data encryption and Serialization. The way it is now only delete column is missing. So people should be able to add a new row,delete a row, add a column, create a new ddatabase, delete a ddatabase, all of the different search functions in the videos.So it's 90% complete.

3. runner

runner

looking forward to the encryption serialization, Anyhow it updates the database at runtime standalone, If i quite and restart the application the changes are present. I was a little surprised and caught off guard that when you hit the button " Reload Db" that it defaults to the old database.

Good Job,

Thanks

4. namoricoo

namoricoo

Resetting to the default ddatabase is important for when you are starting a new game. You'll never give a user direct access to the ddatabase. You give them access to a copy of the ddatabase. I could crease a complete checkpoint system. The possibilities are endless.

5. namoricoo

namoricoo

Let me know if anybody has any more questions or problems.

6. namoricoo

namoricoo

Making progress with the Encryption. I've also Optimized the code with the Navigation bar. It's safe to say the price will not stay $45 too long. I'm looking to have 25 lines per page. It makes organization easier.

7. techmage

techmage

I would certainly purchase a package that could simoultaneously and automatically manage a local database and a web database.

If you could get it set up so it would automatically keep a local and web database synced, then at build time you just check something like 'Use web database' or "Use local Database" or use both... or have it automatically update the local database on the users end from changes in the web database...

Actually. Do you think you could do this? How much would you charge to get such a thing developed privately? Would you be willing to develop such specific functionality at a lowed hourly rate if still given the rights to sell it yourself to other people?

Also in your editor, I have not purchased so I do not know. But having a 'Insert between rows' or 'Insert between collumns' or 'Shift up 1' would be essential for me.
    Also, have you looked into search functionality at all? For my project I would at some point need a "find and return all .xml files with 'red' in the name". Basically I am looking to construct would you could think of as a online shopping cart. Being able to sort by various categories, search in various ways. Does your system deal with anything like this? Would it be hard to implement?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. namoricoo

namoricoo

UniDDatabase uses proprietary functions I developed. When you are in the editor, you're able to see all of the data in a .txt format. At the moment when you deploy the data, it's also in a .txt format. When I release the next wave of updates next week, the In game extension will be ".uddb" it stands for UniDDatabase. I will use AES encryption on the data. Everybody who own the product will be able to set there own key. (128 bits, 192 bits and 256 bits). The reason I'm Using AES is because, if you use Sqlite for example. Any idiot with an Sqlite Editor can read your data. In a mac you don't even need an edito, you can read the data from the command line. So my latest update, only the who deploys the ddatabase will be able to access it. You can read more about AES here
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Is-A...ble/1257437160
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ption_Standard

I'm just finalizing the documentation and the naming conventions. So with UniSqlite it would be even harder to crack. If a person tried to use trial and error to guess your key. They would have Guess each posibility,compile their guess, and move a copy of your ".uddb" in the correct directory and try to read it. It would take over 1000 years to try every possibility.

9. namoricoo

namoricoo

For the PHP, there are several tools in the AssetStore that help you log-into a remote server. I have Unity Basic so I would not be able to test Network functionality myself. I've played with Assetbundle code after I got your e-mail this morning. And It works fine. So it would not be hard for me to add the AssetBundle codes. Several tools in the Asset Store Already help you log-in to remote servers. With these low sales figures it does not make sense for me to spend time re-inventing the wheel. I'm in talks with a major company that's interested in using my product in their games. So I can work with you to get Asset Bundler to work.

10. namoricoo

namoricoo

Just ran some more test with AssetBundle and I'm getting it to work. I will add these findings to the next update cycle.

11. namoricoo

namoricoo

UniDDatabase 3.0 will have inline search, optimized editor, AES encrytion, I'm finalizing the use of Assetbundles for Unity Pro users. I'm hoping brother runner will help me out with a minor problem. The text is what it looks like after the encryption. If somebody does not have your key. They will not be able to access your information. Unilike sqlite, where any idiot under the sun can see your data. The second picture it UniDDatabase 3.0 window. the third one is the UniDDatbase extension. It will be ".uddb"

$Screen shot 2011-08-22 at 1.01.56 PM.png $Screen shot 2011-08-22 at 1.00.55 PM.png $Screen shot 2011-08-22 at 1.01.34 PM.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  12. namoricoo

namoricoo

This feature has been requested a lot. I'm adding an import from sql and export to sql feature. So if somebody has Text files, int, and doubles from sql files, this will be an easy way to save time with cross compatibility.

13. namoricoo

namoricoo

Exporting data from UniDDatabase to Sql is now working. After a brief lunch break I will focus on importing data from Sql to UniDDatabase.

14. techmage

techmage

Really looking awesome. I think what your developing here is going to be invaluable to alot of developers once it gets to a certain point.

15. xandeck

xandeck

Hello namoricoo...
    Please, I need to make a game-application that needs to insert and read data from a database (mysql or another one) every real second for a client. I did this before using a DLL from MySQL, but after an hour (or less), the application crashs, because of the amount of data (thousands of lines in database). And so, we had a lot of problems. Do you know if with your system, I can implement this? I need to save and read this data from a database, thats pretty much of it.

Thank you in advance.

16. namoricoo

namoricoo

I just finished implementing CVS export. In UniDDatase 3.0 you'll be able to export your file To Sql or Cvs. Now I will work on Import Sql and Import Csv

Attached Files:

17. namoricoo

namoricoo

That's been a big request from a lot of people. The vision I have for UniDDatabase 3.0 will be simple. I looked for the path of least resistance. On a Network most people use PHP with Mysql. So the network side works great. However, for Game Engines Relational databases are too slow. That's why I developed UniDDatabase. So when I release UniDDatabase 3.0. You'll be able to export you MySql to either Sql or Comma separated value, UniDDatabase will import your file and you'll be in business. Once your ready to go back to mysql, you'll just export the data to SQl or CSV and load it back to your mysql. You can only have One table at a time in UniDDatabase. So if you have several thousand files. You'll want to group your data according to game levels. if you have 10 levels each with 1000 rows of data. You don't want to put all ten thousand rows in one file. You want to break it down scientifically. You can only sell uniDDatabase as a final project and you won't be able to claim it as your work as with anything else in the database.

18. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm trying to finish UniDDatabase 3.0 this week.

19. namoricoo

namoricoo

Import Csv is now working, I just have to finish import Sql file and finish the documentation and we'll be ready to submit to the AssetStore.

The Documentation will not be 100% finish when I upload Uniddatabase 3.0. I should also have some new videos to help everybody out.

20. Marrrk

Marrrk

Is that what you call encryption Base64 encoding?

21. namoricoo

namoricoo

Simple example
    Before Encryption
    @_[_@ t3.txt @_]_@
    After Encryption
    bC70d8ISnF3CV4pgYJuo8AE22B+fENyaoU1kReHOkQk=

And Every time you make a change to the document or you re-compile the game. The entire document will get re-encrypted to something new.

Unity has 250,000 developers. Each developer can have a unique key. If you have a group of 10 developers and you fire one of them. All you have to do is change the key and the developer is locked out. Not so with Sqlite. Any idiot under the sun can see your data.

22. Marrrk

Marrrk

Thanks for clarifying this, it just looked like Base64 basing upon your screenshot :)

23. namoricoo

namoricoo

It's not base64, It's AES, if you would like more information on AES encryption, you can read the following article....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard

24. namoricoo

namoricoo

Import Sql is now working in the editor. I'm looking to convert the editor scripts to in game scripts. When that's done I'll be able to move to the AssetBundle scripts.

25. namoricoo

namoricoo

Just finished implementing a Save As function.It's the same idea as word documents lets you save as if you want to backup your data and have multiple copies...

26. techmage

techmage

namoricoo tell me if this would work...

What I want to have in my app is to be able to manage and update a mysql database online, then have the application automatically go to that database to update it's content internally for offline use. Can this be done? Like will UniDDatabase be able to load a MySql database into on demand during runtime?

OR in the least could the UniDDatabase update itself at runtime of the game?

Also I still don't understand exactly how this interacts and works with assets. Do you put the assets directly into the database and then it grabs them that way? Or does the database just hold a reference to be loaded by Resources.Load?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  27. namoricoo

namoricoo

The diagram is a visual representation of what needs to be done. The PHP and MySql file live on the server. You should have a mySql file in your game that will export the mysql database to Sql. UniDDatabase will import the Sql document and from there you'll be able to manage the database in your game. MySQl is a server optimized database. UniDDatabase is a video game optimized database. SQL is the bridge between MySQL and UniDDatbase. UniDDatabase 3.0 will be able to import SQL. MySQL is also able to import SQL. If you are only dealing with Text, numbers, your online and offline activities will be just fine. If you are using AssetBundles to manage pictures, Audioclips, and prefabs. That's a different diagram. And AssetBundles require online access to work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  28. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm Aiming for a release date of next week for UniDDatabase 3.0. Before I release it I have to mention this one more time. Asset Bundles are only for Unity pro users. Unity Basic users will be able to play with it in the Editor. That's it. So don't send me any angry messages when Assetbundle don't work for Unity Basic users.

29. archi3d

archi3d

Very important valuable knowlege for me!

30. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

@namoricco

I haven't gotten to needed use of UniDDatabase yet (purchased, tho :) ), but it sounds like it's to my benefit as 3.0 looks to be a great update! I'm glad you're still pursuing this as I know it's not a wealth maker at this point...

Keep up the good work!

George

PS I noticed in a post you don't have Pro...? We, the users of UniDDatabase, need to do something to help you out there! Heck, a collection basket or something...:D

31. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm thinking about getting the pro when the next version of Unity comes out. I believe people who iPhone basic and regular unity should be able to make enough money in order to buy Unity pro from their earnings. That's the theory I'm working with at the moment. The way I see it, if you make crappy games with Unity Basic, upgrading to Unity Pro will not turn your lemon into an orange. So we don't need to start a collection basket. As in my diagram, UniDDatabase can be the at the Center of Any game. Example: The collision scripts, the background audio. That's real savings. For people who use UiToolkit. The way the example are at the moment, the names of the assets are coded into the script. if you separate the name and replace it with UniDDatabase. All of a sudden if you have 4 buttons in your scene. You can flip the index in the inspector and get access to all of your buttons from one place. The same it true from Sprite animations, checkboxes, health bars, etc... The goal was to focus on what's missing from Unity. I have playmaker, so I'm not going to waste time to make a state machine. However, playmaker does not let me orgamize my content. I have UiToolkit. However, it does not let me orgamize my Ui. The best way to organize content in a write once, use multiple times fashion is UniDDatabase.

32. namoricoo

namoricoo

When I saw Edy's physics had no sound. I din't waste any brain juice. I just modified Texture and Sound slideshow example. I removed the texture component and adapted the sound script.
    When working with UiToolkit I noticed everything it text, so I only had to modify the sound slideshow example. It's counter intuitive. However, when you separate the data from the presentation. You just have to add the values in the UniDDatabase GUI and you never have to touch the script again. So as you guys are working, it takes a little effort just to sit back and think about the way you are using the script. Just take a little time and see how you can make the code more generic. The focus is in the beginning... A lot of tools help you do stuff. AI tools, UniSky,EzRoads,State machines... However, it you don't have an Ez way to organize all of that content and generalize it. The next project you'll be working on. You might find yourself re-inventing the wheel a lot.

33. namoricoo

namoricoo

I had been having problem with my Internet service provider, Now the problem has been resolved. Now I can go back to working on AssetBundles in between working on my first game.

34. namoricoo

namoricoo

I want to give a special thanks to Runner for contributing AssetBundle for UniDDatbase3.0. I just finished performing test for with the new AssetBundle Examples and everything worked fine. I will try to finalized the update tomorrow. I've been busy working on my Game so it's taking a little longer than expected.

35. sebako

sebako

Hey i got a little problem with uniDDatabase,

when i run this code

Code (csharp):
    3. public Hashtable getLevel(int id)
    4.     {
    5.         // init return table
    6.         Hashtable data = new Hashtable();
    8.         // get building info database file
    9.         TextAsset database = (TextAsset)Resources.Load(path+levelDb);
    11.         string[] names = UniDDatabaseCs.GetArrayOfTextInColumnBetweenKey(database, "name", OperationType.Between, 0, 2);
    13.         Debug.Log(names[0]);
    15.         // return data
    16.         return data;
    17.     }
    i get this error

the database is loaded properly and when i run GetArrayOfTextInColumn(database, "name"); i get the elements, just not with that between function, any idea whats wrong there?

the error is thrown in line 872 in UniDDatabase.cs

36. namoricoo

namoricoo

It's looks like you're re-Writing the code. The Way the original code work. It Returns a String with a Capital "S". "String[]" and not "string[]", There's no OperationType.Between in any of my original examples.

GetArrayOfTextInColumnBetweenKey(TextAsset ddatabase,string columnName,Enum typeOfOperation,int lowerLimit,int upperLimit)

Here is the original code input. I tried to make it as simple as possible so instead of passing in OperationType.Between. Are you setting everything manually. I use the features as they are in example EzTextUpdate and I don't get any errors. I see you are using hashTable.

The first error I see is the "string[]", instead of "String[]", In the example there's no OperationType.Between. Unless you modified to code. The third parameter is an Enum. You can PM me. I don't want to post too much code in the public domain there.

All of the iGUI related errors are from the iGUI Application and they are not relate to UniDDatabase.

37. namoricoo

namoricoo

the EzText update is very explicit. It's so explicit that all I do it cody and paste the function AllSearchOperations(), and I customize the names to fit the task I'm trying to do.When I'm making GUIs, I use UIToolkit. So I just use "All", and the "Equal" features and I delete the rest. So just review the EztextUpdate example. If you are using the AllSearchOperations(), and the parameters as they show up in the examples and combine them with your other applications, you should not have any problems.

38. sebako

sebako

first GetArrayOfTextInColumnByKey is telling me it returns string[] - not that this does really matter since its just another name and still a string.

Code (csharp):
    3. else if(searchOperation.ToString() == "Between")
    4.         {
    5.             //Get the input betweeen lower and upper primary key.
    6.             arrayOfGuiFirstName=UniDDatabaseCs.GetArrayOfTextInColumnBetweenKey(ddatabase,columnFirstName,searchOperation,lowerIntPriKey,upperIntPriKey);
    7.             arrayOfGuiFirstNameKey=UniDDatabaseCs.GetArrayOfDdKeyInColumnBetweenKey(ddatabase,columnFirstName,searchOperation,lowerIntPriKey,upperIntPriKey);
    9.             arrayOfGuiLastName=UniDDatabaseCs.GetArrayOfTextInColumnBetweenKey(ddatabase,columnLastName,searchOperation,lowerIntPriKey,upperIntPriKey);
    10.             arrayOfGuiLastNameKey=UniDDatabaseCs.GetArrayOfDdKeyInColumnBetweenKey(ddatabase,columnLastName,searchOperation,lowerIntPriKey,upperIntPriKey);
    11.         }
    but thats from your original example - looking up I find:

[System.Serializable]
    public enum OperationType
    {
    All,
    Equals,
    Contains,
    Greater,
    GreaterThanOrEqual,
    LessThan,
    LessThanOrEqual,
    Between
    }

exactly what I am using.
    I am also providing exactly the parameters your method is asking for, so there is something I have overlooked, I just can't see what it is.
    I need to provide the parameters manual since its no monobehaviour script, but that really shouldn't matter and your code should still work the same, no matter if i set the variables in editor or in code.

the iGui errors are just in there because i click on an iGui button when I call the database, but thats not related at all.

oh and btw if i get it working, would it work on iPhone/Android too?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  39. namoricoo

namoricoo

UniDDatabase works fine on iPhone and Android. iGUi might give you a big performance hit because it's built on top of the Unity GUI functions.As long as you keep track of the statistics and they number of draw calls iGui is using. You should be fine.

I just tried it. it looks like I make a mistake in my last post. "string[]" and OperationType.Between causes no errors for me at this moment.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  40. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm not able to recreate your error. before you put everything together I would Gray out the rest of your code and try to isolate the problem. First you want to make sure the database is getting open. So I would do something like.

Debug.Log("database.name="+database.name); in order to make sure the is there. Next, the ColumnName is case sensitive. so "Name" and "name" are not the same thing. I tried to recreate what you did as close as possible. Hard coding everthing and I don't get any error.

TextAsset database =(TextAsset) Resources.Load("DDatabase_Uni/Default_DbExamples/TextAndID") ;

is a correct example of a hard coded Name.

41. namoricoo

namoricoo

So gray out anything that not UniDDatabase related. Try getting "All" instead of between and see if you get errors. There's a 99% probability it's a user error.

Before I do stuff to the data, I always make sure I'm able to get it first.

42. sebako

sebako

i just required a button to trigger it ;) it just calls the method, anyway i startet a smaller but similiar system working more based
    on active record, don't worry, i will not copy your system just using it as idea. but the system will be totally different. I am interested
    in your aes encryption also, is there a way to take a look at your implementation? Could you let me know where to find it if so?

Thanks,

zemog

43. namoricoo

namoricoo

This is exactly why I cancelled my other projects for the Asset Store. It sound like you are trying to make something derived from my code. When I started I had no frame of reference. It was just me banging my head against the crummy Unity documentation. It took me months to figure out how to get everything working.
    So what it derivative work.
    1)http://www.legalzoom.com/intellectual-property-rights/copyrights/what-are-derivative-works-under

2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

I struggled for a long time with if I wanted to release some of my more advanced features. Instead of using my own implementation of AES, I'm using a public domain code instead just to protect my intellectual property. So all you have to do is ask yourself. If you had never goten your hands on my code. Would have have been able to do this "smaller but similiar system." Now I'm so upset I'm thinking about pulling the plug on this project.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  44. namoricoo

namoricoo

I would be especially ticked of, if you made a derivative work from my hard work and then started selling it in the Asset Store or other market places. This is why I only sale my code in the AssetStore thinking they would protect my intellectual property.

45. sebako

sebako

I am well aware of intellectual propreties and I won't use any of your codes, at least I can't active record works in a very different way than your implementation and the project won't make it to the assetstore as it is used for private projects mostly. Don't be afraid about your work, theres nothing that will be lost, it just isn't right for my projects and therefor I am looking for an own implementation which suits my needs better.

46. namoricoo

namoricoo

What you do in private projects is up to you.UniDDatabase is designed to be a super fast way to keep track of data and Assets- Period. So any functionality that's needed has to be implemented by the user. It will work out of the box for 90% of users. I've worked with other developer's project. For example I spent a lot of money on GUIToolkit001. However, the start screen has 14 draw calls and the settings screen has 21 draw calls. Working with UniDDatabase to keeps track of all UI elements, UIToolkit to deliver efficient UIs, I also have Ex2D. I added 90% of the code to make it do what I need. I ended up with with an implementation that only has 1 draw call for main menu and 3 draw calls for the settings menu. I got bored so I added context sensitive menus, UniDDatabase works in the background, out of the box, to keep track of levels,music,UI,etc... That's just one example... Will any of this code make it way to the Asset store...No. However, I did send Prime31 the code for an inline 3 State Button so that he can share it with the community for free. Very few scripts will work for everybody 100% out of the box. Mega-Fier is a great product. I saw people saying I can't use it until it gets such and such feature.

47. sebako

sebako

yep it all depends on what you need, I am sorry if I offended you by asking to have a look at your code, wasn't meant to be offensive.
    I have an entire framework of tools setup for my developers game designers to focus on the games and a client database would be great.
    I will find a solution, not yours in this case because it unfortunately does not fit, but I have a clear idea on how the system should work and it would not be possible to see any relation to your system when I am done, so no worries :)

Keep it up!

so long

zem

48. namoricoo

namoricoo

Before I started I had a vision for something that was Amazing, I was a dreamer, looking for 1000%. When I got deep in the code, started looking at the evidence. I realized that only 100% was possible at the moment. Some people have to fall a couple of times before they learn. I know a lot of pit fall you'll run into. The way the my algorithm is at the moment. It's Big O. When the game starts it executes one time. Takes under 33 Milliseconds to run with small tables. The database will never open again unless a user is trying to run an update. Every hour you spend trying to make something that's not as good; it's an hour you could have spent making your game.
    I was not offended by your request, if you feel you can do something better. More power to you. If you have to look at what other people are doing before you can do what you have to do. You're not ready for prime time. I feel if you can do better. You should do better on your own two feet. When I started this project. People blew me off because nobody wanted to participate because they did not see how they would get pair. In the end it's always about money. I knew what I wanted to see. I made all of the design decisions. I called all of the shots. Later this week. UniDDatabase 3.0 will be out. Next I will focus all my attention on making games. If I fail or if I succeed, I'll have nobody to blame but myself. Win or lose, I'll be doing it my way. I wish you luck and I hope you find your own way.

49. namoricoo

namoricoo

I was just able to reproduce your error. It has to do with the same thing I said Before. "OperationType.Between". I messes up the system. As soon as I remove that and do what was in the original post. You have to use the reference "searchOperation" not the serialized object OperationType. I don't know why this is yet. I'm also including hashTable examples in code where the user does not need to make any modifications.

50. namoricoo

namoricoo

Here are some Beta videos of some upcomming changes to UniDDatabase