Search Unity

4 Terrains?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by pers2981, Jun 3, 2011.

1. pers2981

pers2981

Hey Everyone,

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to have 4 terrain maps in one scene, But only one rendering at once. The reason for this is, I want to create a "Giant" map for my rpg game.

Any Ideas?

THANKS GUIES

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Yes its possible.

3. bigmisterb

bigmisterb

The only thing I can see wrong with the concept is when you are traversing from one map to the second. It would be nice to see where you are going.

4. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Well, you could make a simple script for each terrain that renders the terrain only if the player is near it. The only problem is Unity terrains don't have renderers. So your terrain would have to be a mesh object. So you could do that, or you could have the terrains at a low quality but change the camera's render distance for objects on the terrains, as both ways would still preserve memory.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Would be better to have 4 terrains, and just have them all rendering. The LOD would prevent the more distant terrains from having too much of an effect on framerates.

No, you can disable terrains. Converting to a mesh object removes the point of using terrains, so don't do that.

--Eric

6. RoyS

RoyS