Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux Support :D

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by FelixAlias, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's Unix-based, not Linux-based. Specifically, BSD with a Mach kernel. OS X has more in common with Linux than it does Windows, but it's still not the same thing.

--Eric

2. natosha-bard

natosha-bard

Hello Friends!

We're pleased to announce here that the upcoming Unity 4 will contain a preview of our Linux Standalone publishing, targeted for 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu Desktop systems.

http://unity3d.com/?linux

3. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Looking forward to even better games in the Ubuntu store.

Hopefully there will be a guide to publishing your 32/64 bit content to the Ubuntu store.

4. TimCabbage

TimCabbage

Devs, if any of you is reading this - you just made my day :D
    And some money.
    Lots, hopefully :D

New character animation system with the awesome state machine(finally not having to write one myself -.-'') is one of the most anticipated features I was waiting for.

Congratz on everything.
    You are awesome,
    Sincerely,
    Siv.

5. dubbreak

dubbreak

So Ubuntu only? Or will it work on Debian and Mint etc (but exclude Redhat and derivatives, Gentoo etc)?

Also the 32bit/64bit is x86 arch only I'd assume. No Linux on ARM support? Or will it work on all Ubuntu builds?

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

From what was said elsewhere, it does run on other distros, but they're concentrating on Ubuntu.

--Eric

7. dubbreak

dubbreak

Link to "elsewhere"?

What about architecture/platform? (as in x86 vs ARM vs PPC etc)

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

On the forums, probably the Unity 4 details topic.

--Eric

9. natosha-bard

natosha-bard

Players exported for Linux will work on most modern Linux systems with a decent graphics card, including Debian, Mint, Fedora, Gentoo, etc. However the support burden for "everything" is simply too high for us, so we are only going to be offering official support for Ubuntu Linux (10.04 or later) and only on machines that have a graphics card with a vendor-made driver installed.

As far as architecture goes, we will supply binaries for 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (amd64) architectures. We have no plans to publish support for ARM, or any other architectures at this time.

10. dubbreak

dubbreak

Thank you for the excellent response.

I'm a little disappointed by the lack of ARM support (that means no RaspberryPi support), but it's not unexpected (as it's still niche). Of course pretty much all android devices out there are also capable of running Linux. Would have been good for my current uses (so I can get away from Android), but my uses are definitely not the norm.

11. Tak

Tak

Maybe after their shipping queue has caught up with demand... :p

12. dubbreak

dubbreak

Lol. Point well taken. But there are plenty of similar devices. E.g. Rikomagic MK802.

Any of the cheap media boxes (that run Linux or Android) are all ARM based as well. Personally I wanted to swap some Android tablets over to Linux (that are running in a commercial setting). Easier to manage than Android.

13. King InuYasha

King InuYasha

So will the entire Unity 4 suite work on Linux natively, or will it only be able to generate game binaries for Linux? Because it would be really awesome if I could do all of my development straight from Linux!

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You will only be able to build to Linux. The Unity Editor is not available on Linux.

15. Tak

Tak

Linux kernel, yes - full Linux distribution with standard X and nice video hardware supporting OpenGL, not so often.
    It's possible that a "desktop Linux" player for ARM could come along in the future, but it's equally possible that it could not.

That would indeed be awesome, but for now, it's only publishing content for Linux.

16. markt1964

markt1964

When I had heard that Unity3D was going to support Linux with version 4, I was initially quite excited by the prospect.

However, I've now found out that evidently, it only supports *exporting* to Linux, not that the environment will run on Linux. This is very disappointing, because a Unix-like workstation is a vastly superior development platform to either the Windows or Mac platforms.

Sure being able to export to Linux is nice, but what would be ideal is if the environment itself supported Linux so that a person could do development on that platform.

17. Ro

Ro

Mac OSX is a licensed posix compatible Unix.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

And lots of Linux apps compile on OS X. There are projects like MacPorts and Fink that automate this. I came to OS X from Linux; I use Terminal fairly regularly (for some things you just can't beat a proper shell).

--Eric

19. markt1964

markt1964

True, but sort of non-sequitur with regards to what I was saying.

I was expressing disappointment after having heard the announcement that Unity was supporting Linux, while not actually supporting development on that platform.

That MacOSX is, itself, a posix-compliant unix-like OS is irrelevant to this because Unity3d was already working on MacOSX before version 4 anyways, and was unrelated to why I was initlally excited about Linux support.

Offering export to linux without offering development on Linux seems to me like a lot like, say, making a utility that can work with Microsoft visual C++ projects, but only runs on MacOSX.

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, because you said "a Unix-like workstation is a vastly superior development platform to either the Windows or Mac platforms" when the Mac *is* a Unix workstation.

Not really...Unity exports to lots of platforms it doesn't run on. It was Mac-only for years while exporting to Windows.

--Eric

21. markt1964

markt1964

It might be a Unix under the hood, but it sure doesn't feel like one to me.

Also, In my experience with Mac development, one ends up sort of married to XCode, which doesn't feel Unix-like either.
    Most of those platforms aren't general purpose that you could develop on anyways.
    Really? I find that odd.

Doesn't change how I feel, however. You can get *far* more processing power for your dollar on a Linux workstation than you would on a mac... which by my reckoning makes it a preferable development platform... especially if you have multiple computers. That'll add up far faster using macs than it would with Linux (unless you cheap out on the mac side of things and only get a minis, but for the same amount of money you'd still get more performance on Linux-based pc's). I had heard they were going to support Linux and was excited about that... but have since found out that they only want to support exporting to that platform, which isn't as practical in my book as developing on it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes really. It didn't run on Windows until version 2.5.

It certainly does to me. There are many applications for game development that do not exist on Linux (and substitutes are almost always inferior, e.g. I really tried with GIMP but it just doesn't cut it compared to Photoshop...the only exception I can think of at the moment is that I rather like Blender), so from a practical perspective it doesn't matter much if Unity has a Linux editor at this point since the support for the rest of the workflow isn't really there anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it happen eventually, but in the meantime it's just disingenuous to ignore OS X if you want a Unix development environment that also has real commercial application support.

--Eric

23. markt1964

markt1964

Possibly. For myself, I was just expressing the fact that I was just extremely disappointed... I took "linux support" to mean that it was going to be possible to develop with Linux. I have a Linux PC at home, so I could have utilized it there.

24. q4a

q4a

25. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

It's not on the roadmap. That said, if you follow my crossover video, you can use crossover to install firefox and the unity web player and run that on ubuntu.