Unity Community


Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 475

  1. Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by NPSF3000 View Post
    U3D now has TWO web-player solutions for Linux.

    If you want to make Linux games in Unity... go and make Linux games in Unity!
    Wait, I was always under the impression that there were plans for it but nothing was released yet? So is there a Web Player for Linux or not?

    And as far DIY goes: I cannot do everything in the world I want myself. This is the wish list forum where we can discuss wishes and my wish is linux support. What is wrong with asking for it? If that is not possible then so be it, all I want is that if there is way to show that there are people who would appreciate it and provide reasons why it would be a good idea. All my reasons might be crap and I appreciate if this is pointed out but I do not get how a do it yourself response is in any way helpful.
    Last edited by xedi; 02-16-2012 at 08:28 AM.


  2. Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    I see your point with the dev tools and your points about embedded systems is also interesting.

    However, I disagree with that it does not make business sense to release a player for the Linux market. As others already pointed out, one advantage would be to conquer a niche market.

    One reason why I think Linux is growing is that nowadays everything is getting more web based including games. Those who do not play AAA titles on their computers do not need Windows to play games because the browser games everybody is playing also work fine on Linux (except Unity based ones obviously). So the argument which comes up often in these discussions: "Those who want to play Unity games have Windows anyways" is not necessarily true today and is getting more and more false in the future, because those who play browser games do not need windows and so in this segment chances are that they either do not have windows or prefer to not use it.
    I didn't say it doesn't make sense to make a linux player. I was actually arguing it does but for because of the embedded market rather than desktop market. If the desktop Linux market pans out great, but financially there are other reasons to target Linux. Whatever Unity's reason though I hope a native linux client is out in the wild soon (as it appears it does exist in some state at the moment from what I've heard).

    What I did imply or state is that it doesn't make sense to put the dev tools on Linux. My comment on having windows already was for development. Those that want to develop most likely have a Windows license or a Mac. And wasn't even to that degree, it was that it's an ok restriction to have for development in my opinion, as it isn't a very big barrier. Also, if you are really adamant on running the dev tools on linux another poster pointed out they run on wine. It had nothing to do with people wanting to play games.

    As to your arguement: ""Those who want to play Unity games have Windows anyways" is not necessarily true today and is getting more and more false in the future, because those who play browser games do not need windows and so in this segment chances are that they either do not have windows or prefer to not use it."

    That may be true (though it smells of false consensus) but even if it is true, more of a small number is a small number. By web usage estimate the amount of people using Linux to browse the web (or some device based on Linux.. so possibly TVs etc) is ~1% which is at best 1/4 the market of OS X and more likely 1/10th. Android usage is larger and v1.0 only came out in 2008. Plus Android usage is growing rapidly. I've been using Linux on the desktop since 1998. Usage has definitely increase (especially with the likes of Ubuntu), but desktop adoption of linux is still minor. Where linux thrives is on servers and embedded applications.

    If Linux desktop users doubled next year they would still be far behind OS X and Android users. Call me when that happens. "The year of linux on the desktop" has been a running joke on slashdot as long as I've been a member. It's right up there with hot grits and natalie portman.


  3. Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    3,593
    Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    Wait, I was always under the impression that there were plans for it but nothing was released yet? So is there a Web Player for Linux or not?
    As I just said, there are two. Hell I just linked to a Unity blog post that discusses both of them.

    If you can't be bothered to do a little research of your own...

    And as far DIY goes: I cannot do everything in the world I want myself. This is the wish list forum where we can discuss wishes and my wish is linux support. What is wrong with asking for it? ... I do not get how a do it yourself response is in any way helpful.
    So let me get this right:

    • You ask for Linux support.
    • You get Linux support.
    • You ask for Linux support.


    Me telling you use the god-damn Linux support already available and prove that the resources unity has invested are worthwhile ISN'T constructive?


  4. Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by elias_t View Post
    No. I would surely pay to have the Linux executable.

    Unity is also extensively used for visualizations and many customers want to have their app running on several linux boxes.
    +1

    Rather than treating it like deploying to Windows or OS X it could be treated as IOS or Android and require a license for that. I already forked out for the Android license, I'd do it again for Linux no problem.


  5. Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    If Linux desktop users doubled next year they would still be far behind OS X and Android users. Call me when that happens. "The year of linux on the desktop" has been a running joke on slashdot as long as I've been a member. It's right up there with hot grits and natalie portman.
    I agree, I do not think there will be something like "The year of linux on the desktop". However, I think it is safe to say that Linux is growing and will so in the near future. The question is up to which point.

    Me telling you use the god-damn Linux support already available and prove that the resources unity has invested are worthwhile ISN'T constructive?
    I didn't say that THAT wasn't constructive but I was talking about the do it yourself comment.

    As far as the clog post you linked is concerned: It said developer PREVIEW so I was under the impression that the Linux support is being worked on but not yet fully implemented.

    But that does not matter, because I realize that I have expressed myself incorrectly. I was aware that there is Linux work being done which is why I said
    I am very much looking forward to the Linux version
    but then in response to your DIY I was talking about asking which does not fit very well because as you point out, work is being done.

    The reason why I first started posting here was the Mint comment and I wanted to clear up the current misconception floating around since Ubuntu switched to the Unity Shell in the web that Mint is about to take over Ubuntu. Since in this thread there were also the usual comments that it is not worth to support Linux I wanted to present also some of my views. This got a bit out of hand and I realize that it sounds as if I am demanding Linux support because Unity 3D is doing nothing even though I was aware that work was being done (I was not aware how fat they were, though)

    So to clear things up, I am glad that Unity is not ignoring the Linux platform and I appreciate the efforts currently made to support the platform and want to thank them for that. I also hope that these efforts continue and expand in the future for the reasons I provided.


  6. Posts
    4
    - Linux (Ubuntu) will run on top of Android
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/w...oid-in-action/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZUCKt0RKc

    - Ubuntu will have 200.000.000 (two hundred million) users in 4 years!
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/u...oid-announced/

    So, Unity for LINUX?


  7. Posts
    399
    I'm not hugely interested in a native Linux client, but with Raspberry Pi released now, and it having the goal of inspiring kids to learn programming like we used to in the good old days - by hacking games together - I would have thought being able to use something like Unity to develop on the platform would be highly compelling.

    I doubt UT could make any money from it directly - schools wouldn't want to pay, and kids can't pay - but imagine how much exposure their engine could get. Imagine a whole generation of kids growing up learning to program via Unity. Even if only a tiny percentage of them go pro, that's still a lot of sales.

    Edit: Actually, Wine support is no good for Raspberry Pi because it's not x86. They would need to make a separate OS sku.
    Last edited by George Foot; 03-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.


  8. Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by George Foot View Post
    I'm not hugely interested in a native Linux client, but with Raspberry Pi released now, and it having the goal of inspiring kids to learn programming like we used to in the good old days - by hacking games together - I would have thought being able to use something like Unity to develop on the platform would be highly compelling.

    snip
    While I agree I honestly don't think the RaspPi has the guts to run the Unity3d dev platform. It's a 700mhz ARM with limited ram. I'm certain it would run the client fine (as it is as good or better than my Android phone in specs) but running the editor seems like a no go. I just upgraded from my old core 2 duo Mac (with intel graphics) to a quad core i7 with dedicated graphics for better performance in Unity. I wish I had a p3 to test on kicking around as that would give feel for how deadly slow it would run.

    I could see making a cool arcade machine based around the RPi with a common (open sourced) joystick/buttons platform that attaches via USB and some libraries/scripts for Unity to support the controls. Something like the winnitron, but cheaper (http://winnitron.ca/). It would be a great way to motivate kids to create stuff (put arcade machines in the school halls that are populated by games the kids create). But creation of the games would have to be done on a higher powered machine (in my opinion).


  9. Posts
    1

    Ubuntu/Linux compatability

    I think Unity should also be compatable with Linux because even with Wine and Wine tricks it still doesnt work. Wine crashes and it says "GetThreadContext Failed"


  10. Location
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Posts
    696
    i wonder, if mac is linux based os, then what could be the problem building a linux release?.. (just curious !)
    Hi..

  11. Volunteer Moderator
    Posts
    23,731
    It's Unix-based, not Linux-based. Specifically, BSD with a Mach kernel. OS X has more in common with Linux than it does Windows, but it's still not the same thing.

    --Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes


  12. Location
    Unity Technologies HQ, Copenhagen
    Posts
    15
    Hello Friends!

    We're pleased to announce here that the upcoming Unity 4 will contain a preview of our Linux Standalone publishing, targeted for 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu Desktop systems.

    http://unity3d.com/?linux
    Na'Tosha Bard
    Build Mistress & Linux Ninja for Unity Technologies

    Developing software is like building a plane while you're already flying . . . "Hand me the wing, will ya?"


  13. Posts
    781
    Looking forward to even better games in the Ubuntu store.

    Hopefully there will be a guide to publishing your 32/64 bit content to the Ubuntu store.
    Paint scripting via video training.

    Need a tree view control in Unity?

    Easily add vegetation to your scene.

    Toolbox directly exports to VS 2010/VS 2012.

    Remotely edit the scene while it's running on a target device.

    Docs Unity on OUYA


  14. Posts
    31

    Now this is epic.

    Devs, if any of you is reading this - you just made my day
    And some money.
    Lots, hopefully

    New character animation system with the awesome state machine(finally not having to write one myself -.-'') is one of the most anticipated features I was waiting for.

    Congratz on everything.
    You are awesome,
    Sincerely,
    Siv.


  15. Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by natosha.bard View Post
    Hello Friends!

    We're pleased to announce here that the upcoming Unity 4 will contain a preview of our Linux Standalone publishing, targeted for 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu Desktop systems.

    http://unity3d.com/?linux
    So Ubuntu only? Or will it work on Debian and Mint etc (but exclude Redhat and derivatives, Gentoo etc)?

    Also the 32bit/64bit is x86 arch only I'd assume. No Linux on ARM support? Or will it work on all Ubuntu builds?

  16. Volunteer Moderator
    Posts
    23,731
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    So Ubuntu only? Or will it work on Debian and Mint etc (but exclude Redhat and derivatives, Gentoo etc)?
    From what was said elsewhere, it does run on other distros, but they're concentrating on Ubuntu.

    --Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes


  17. Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
    From what was said elsewhere, it does run on other distros, but they're concentrating on Ubuntu.

    --Eric
    Link to "elsewhere"?

    What about architecture/platform? (as in x86 vs ARM vs PPC etc)

  18. Volunteer Moderator
    Posts
    23,731
    On the forums, probably the Unity 4 details topic.

    --Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes


  19. Location
    Unity Technologies HQ, Copenhagen
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    So Ubuntu only? Or will it work on Debian and Mint etc (but exclude Redhat and derivatives, Gentoo etc)?

    Also the 32bit/64bit is x86 arch only I'd assume. No Linux on ARM support? Or will it work on all Ubuntu builds?
    Players exported for Linux will work on most modern Linux systems with a decent graphics card, including Debian, Mint, Fedora, Gentoo, etc. However the support burden for "everything" is simply too high for us, so we are only going to be offering official support for Ubuntu Linux (10.04 or later) and only on machines that have a graphics card with a vendor-made driver installed.

    As far as architecture goes, we will supply binaries for 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (amd64) architectures. We have no plans to publish support for ARM, or any other architectures at this time.
    Na'Tosha Bard
    Build Mistress & Linux Ninja for Unity Technologies

    Developing software is like building a plane while you're already flying . . . "Hand me the wing, will ya?"


  20. Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by natosha.bard View Post
    As far as architecture goes, we will supply binaries for 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (amd64) architectures. We have no plans to publish support for ARM, or any other architectures at this time.
    Thank you for the excellent response.

    I'm a little disappointed by the lack of ARM support (that means no RaspberryPi support), but it's not unexpected (as it's still niche). Of course pretty much all android devices out there are also capable of running Linux. Would have been good for my current uses (so I can get away from Android), but my uses are definitely not the norm.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •