Unity Community


Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 475

  1. Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
    That "future" is the past; game engines (including major engines used in AAA games) have been using non-C++ languages for scripting for years. It just happens that the scripting in Unity is fast enough that you can also use it for many tasks typically handled by C++ engine code in other engines. The Unity engine itself is C++.

    --Eric
    Scripting != Programming. Just look at the statistics... >90% of the people working with game programming uses C++, and generally, the programmers that does scripting ( far cry is an example ) aren't really programmers but the guys who create content for the game.

    I'm just telling that C++ is something that really worth knowing. And i really don't know any big company that will even cogitate the possibility of hiring a game programmer that doesn't know C++...

    Anyone who knows C# can just read one of those C++ tutorials to learn everything necessary to actually begin to use an engine in a week or two. After that, 6 months of varied programming experience (3-5 hours daily) will be enough to get very used to it and possibly you will be able to program an entire game without consulting google/forums/irc, at that point, it's just a matter of practice to get confident, and you can begin to make a portfolio and publish on internet, so you will have material to show.

    The demand for good and experienced C++ programmers is higher than the supply, and it's growing even more. A lot of companies (gaming industry is well supplied though) are hiring 3-4 just-graduated inexperienced programmers instead of one professional due to the high demand so it's cheaper to hire the 4 inexperienced ones.

    Just my 2 cents.


  2. Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Beliar View Post
    No offense for Unity guys, but i've managed to find an engine that is just as good as Unity (and has webplayer for all the tree major pc operating systems) and is opensource, and actually was useful to learn a wide range of things that are applicable on other areas also.
    Which engine is this? Not ShiVa 3D, that's closed source.


  3. Posts
    1
    New poster here. As someone who works with Linux very often I can say that Linux support would be accepted in open arms but at the same time, you need to ask yourselves whether Linux needs Unity. Yes, Linux game development is pretty scarce and the little it has is very low-class. However, remember that people who work with Linux all the time are the same people who generally want something free. Not just free of cost, but also open source so they can modify it and use it for their own projects as they please. I think that Unity could use Linux but Linux doesn't really want or need Unity. I guess an easier way of explaining this is that supporting Linux could benefit both sides but it would take a lot to really get endorsed because the engine that Linux really needs is a solid, completely open source game engine instead of a closed one that just adds support because they could use the cash/audience.


  4. Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofox View Post
    Which engine is this? Not ShiVa 3D, that's closed source.
    Panda3D. It's so easy that if you already know python you're ready to go.
    I was using python to prototype things but i gave up and am programming directly in C++. The documentation for C++ is very bad though. To figure out how to use it i'm consulting the python documentation as referece, most things are self-explicative though.
    There are no easy built-in functions and pretty much everything has to be done the brute force way (for example check a distance between objects). The only advanced physics engine available atm is ODE, bullet integration is in progress though (seems physx is available too). Also, it needs some optimization on the rendering and some more features.
    You should check the website for more info, some big commercial games were launched and on the forums (showcase session) you can find an infinity of others.
    I'm pretty happy using it and don't miss Unity's graphical facilities at all.
    I feel much more confident and comfortable programming in my main operating system with the tools that I'm used to.


  5. Location
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Posts
    95
    Hey there,

    Quote Originally Posted by pwolfinger View Post
    However, remember that people who work with Linux all the time are the same people who generally want something free.
    That's not true. open source idealists are the ones who generally want software to be free. Not all Linux users are open source idealists. For instance, some people choose primarily to use Windows but still tend to gravite toward using open source products if they can, and very recently we're seeing more adoption of closed source products on Linux (Ubuntu's Software Center for instance).

    Quote Originally Posted by pwolfinger View Post
    Not just free of cost, but also open source so they can modify it and use it for their own projects as they please.
    How many great game projects have we seen come from open source minded developers using open source engines? Not many. The vast majority of open source minded developers and designers aren't doing games because it's not a priority for them. Getting Linux and userland applications to a better state of quality is the bigger priority currently. I'd rather see people who make entertainment software for a living make awesome games for Linux with Unity, than have people just sitting around tinkering with the code of an engine, or that of an open sourced game.

    Quote Originally Posted by pwolfinger View Post
    I think that Unity could use Linux but Linux doesn't really want or need Unity.
    The Linux community is such a diverse group of people. Yes, there's a huge group of open source idealists behind Linux that have a mild to severe disdain for anything closed and anything commercial, but that one sub-group doesn't speak for us all.

    Besides, sites like ubuntugamer.com are already running articles about games made with Unity and getting them working under Wine, although they'd still much rather run them natively. If that's not a need for Unity then I don't know what is.

    Quote Originally Posted by pwolfinger View Post
    I guess an easier way of explaining this is that supporting Linux could benefit both sides but it would take a lot to really get endorsed because the engine that Linux really needs is a solid, completely open source game engine instead of a closed one that just adds support because they could use the cash/audience.
    Again, the community is so huge that you can't make blanket statements such as those. Who would have thought Linux users would be the first computer-based community to embrace Microsoft's Kinect, before Windows-centric people and even Microsoft themselves. I believe even some interesting Unity projects are using that open source Kinect driver.

    One of the problems with the open source community is that everybody has their own idea and starts their own project around it. There's no one or two great engines, instead there's 6 or 7 engines that are unfinished, outdated, outclassed, unfriendly, or otherwise not widely adopted because low quality issues.

    Plus, while we're waiting for that great gold open source engine the world moves on again and perpetually leaves us in the dust.

    Linux gamers are known to routinely run their favorite Windows-only or Linux incompatible games through compatibility layers, emulation, and virtualization. This shows us that Linux gamers are willing to pay for (or at least pirate) closed source games, even with the great possibility of the game not working (or in some cases at all) with their system.

    In the end, compare the best open source game offering to the best closed source game offering. Right, there's no comparison.


  6. Posts
    13
    I'm going to have to concur with dtoliaferro and also put in another voice for at least getting the IDE running on Linux.

    I honestly don't really care whether or not a Linux based web plugin or support for a standalone player is added. I mainly just want to see the IDE run in Linux. This is because I've recently reinstalled Ubuntu and am finding it an absolute joy to use. I've tried running the IDE on Wine and it simply will NOT work. The screen never refreshes and it crashes a lot. It'll run with marginally better success on VirtualBox but the screen still does not update properly.

    I've managed to square away compatibility either through Wine or VirtualBox for *every single Windows program I own* except for Unity. I'm also running minecraft servers on Linux and a variety of other stuff that I can't do properly on Windows. I don't like having to take down my servers so I can get some work done. I've got MORE than enough system resources to do it all at once anyway.

    So I'd personally like to see EITHER improved compatibility with Wine, improved compatibility with the Windows version of Unity running on VirtualBox on Linux or an actual linux version of the IDE.

    I'm also saying this as someone who has not only bought the pro version of Unity but also did so back in the 2.5 days before Unity went free, as an Asset Server Client license holder, and as someone who has upgraded both Unity Pro and their Unity Asset Server Client License to Unity 3. So it's not like I'm all about open source and free. I happen to like the OS because it's a very good OS. A lot more fun to use and the interface is a heck of a lot more responsive for me.

    Just to put it out there, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 with Compiz Fusion and fully official nVidia drivers, not the open source drivers.

    I'd also like to remark that Unity already has two commercial competitors on Linux that I know of. Flash and Shiva. It's time to pony up and at least get it running in Linux.

    (Edit)
    I've managed to get Unity 3.1 and 3.2 to run under Wine and display all of it's windows just fine. However, the compiler pumps out errors. So I suppose it would take only a bit of work on the compiler to make it run properly under Wine...

    Mind you I had to do some pretty cheap tricks to get it to run. Namely installing DirectX 9.0c on Wine using winetricks. If anyone from UT wants the error I'm getting from the compiler please let me know. I don't want to waste anybody's time if it isn't going to matter.
    Last edited by MyraLoveless; 02-26-2011 at 04:16 AM.
    Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?


  7. Posts
    3

    unity on linux

    I read post in this thread that was posted awhile back.
    It said that you guys had poor sales for game on linux in the past.
    Well my question is what kind of game was it ?
    Because you dont have to many illiterate computer people on linux,
    usually true geeks on linux. And who are the Battle Star Galactica fans - ohh yeah - True Geeks.

    I use linux exclusively ( well do have XP on VMWare for just a cpl programs - bnut windows still sux )
    I use to play allot of games, I really dont anymore because I have found I like that runs on linux.

    also isnt Mac OSX like 90% linux these days anyway.

    Tommy



    If you think "MS Windows" is the answer.
    Then you dont understand the question!

  8. Volunteer Moderator
    Posts
    23,708
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyw View Post
    also isnt Mac OSX like 90% linux these days anyway.
    No, it's 0% Linux. It's based on NeXTStep, which in turn is based on BSD with a Mach kernel. So much for "true geeks"....

    --Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes


  9. Posts
    3
    a true linux geek - not mac person at all ( Went from my VIC20 to my Commodore 64 to my 8088 - lol ) - i just know when I read on forums on compiling kernels and other stuff - there are people asking the same types of questions for OSX as for Linux.




    If you think "MS Windows" is the answer.
    Then you dont understand the question!


  10. Location
    IE, LV
    Posts
    192
    i'll troll here a bit:
    both Linux and MAC are based on Unix, if you can figure out how to work on one of them, ie konsole, you can master the other fairly quickly
    bye


  11. Location
    California
    Posts
    23
    I just stumbled upon this thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/798...ash...-Friends

    If so, this might lead to (indirect) Linux web support...


  12. Posts
    3
    Well I started out on HPUX - while working for HP for 12yrs, then went to FreeBSD, then RedHat and now on Mandrake / Mandriva for the Last 6yrs. I haven't really looked at the newer mac stuff - maybe Ill check it out. I know its more java, perl and python loaded like most linux distro are these days.
    If you think "MS Windows" is the answer.
    Then you dont understand the question!


  13. Posts
    13
    Well, I managed to squeeze Unity's compiler into working properly under Wine. The performance is a little sluggish and UniScite doesn't load the script documentation when hitting the F1 key. The inspector window doesn't update until i click it after switching objects. Minor issues all around. It's usable but due to the issues I'd give it maybe a 7 out of 10 as far as running it on Wine goes, and I'm a hard person to please.

    I have no idea if this is going to be stable enough to want to do a pro license migration over to Wine/Linux from Windows.

    The way I cleared up the error I was having was by doing a recursive chmod setting all the folders in the Unity folder to read/write. I figured that there's no legitimate reason that I can run Unity games in Wine but not run the compiler unless there was some kind of permission issue preventing writing. Sure enough that seemed to be what fixed it.

    Anyway this makes me a happy camper and I'm satisfied with running the IDE on Linux, tentatively speaking.
    Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?


  14. Posts
    1
    What about business applications that sell $5-50K a machine, that have no 3D sims3 type graphics (and desparately need some).
    Across every industry and major company? Are you interested now?


  15. Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by nhumphrey1969 View Post
    What about business applications that sell $5-50K a machine, that have no 3D sims3 type graphics (and desparately need some).
    Across every industry and major company? Are you interested now?
    Huh? Sorry, what is this in response to exactly? Completely out of the blue and random to the topic.
    Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?


  16. Posts
    14
    For those who don't know, it's over:
    http://linuxgamingnews.org/2011/03/1...n-development/

    Well, not fully over since the editor is still some ways off, but dammit it's just so good to finally get recognition on this issue. Thank you Unity, we really appreciate it.


  17. Location
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Posts
    95
    Wow!

    Thanks for this wonderful news Sofox, this is indeed monumental.

    Thank you Unity Technologies!


  18. Posts
    20
    Well, you could at least try make it run on Wine. I am using Ubuntu on my netbook, and I would really love to be able to tweak some scripts and scenes on it, while I'm not anywhere around my PC. I have managed to install Unity, but there is just no way I can create a project, as it spawns tons of errors when I try to.

    I don't really care for any _real_ unity client or being able to publish to Linux (don't really see how anyone would seriously want to release a game for that platform), but at least let me access my projects from Wine, if you aren't willing to invest in any actual porting of the engine. Seriously.


  19. Location
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Posts
    95
    Wow, I can't tell if you're trolling or not.

    First of all, both independent and big name developers (Id Software and Epic Games to name a couple) have, and continue to release games that run natively on Linux. And while open source game development isn't exactly booming, there are tons of those games for Linux as well. It's a huge gaming platform with tons of games already, and with Unigine, ShiVa, and now Unity support I'm sure it'll only get bigger now.

    How can you not "see how anyone would seriously want to release a game for that platform" when so many people have, and continue to do so?

    Second of all, don't forget that Android is also Linux.


  20. Location
    Sooke
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoliaferro View Post
    Second of all, don't forget that Android is also Linux.
    Nope, it isn't. It is extremely loosely based off of Linux.
    -Insert quote here
    ---Famous Person

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •