Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lumos game analytics

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by matthewminer, May 27, 2011.

1. matthewminer

matthewminer

Hey champs,

For the past half year myself and other developers have been building a service that provides game analytics called Lumos. With Lumos you can track things like runtime errors, player engagement (monthly active users, new registrations, etc.), and the system specs of your players. We also built an integrated feedback system that allows you to easily gather bug reports and suggestions from players.

We're just launching, and we'd love to hear your feedback. The system has been built to run as automatically as possible -- you don't need to do any coding to take advantage of the features, and it's free to use (there'll be a paid option eventually, but we'll always offer a basic package for free). The website is www.uselumos.com. We don't yet have the unitypackage available on the Asset Store, though that will hopefully be uploaded soon.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. We're actively developing Lumos, and we're always looking to hear what sort of analytics tools would be useful to help improve your game.

Cheers,

Matthew Miner

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. Slem

Slem

This looks very useful. Great work!

3. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

4. Terminator

Terminator

Wow this looks like the perfect tool for game testing! I'll be sure to try it out soon! :)

5. Jodon

Jodon

Hey Brad,

I just integrated Lumos into my project. The reason I'm trying Lumos is because of the sandbox security settings with Unity, disallowing communication with Google Analytics. The major thing I see that's missing in Lumos is the ability to log special events and average out values.

I'm writing a puzzle game and I want to get an average time that it takes for people to complete a puzzle. I can use a Debug.Log to spit out how long it took an individual user to complete a puzzle, and get that info... but I can't do any sort of aggregate analytics. You really need that to be able to call it an analytics API, right now it's just a remote logging API. I do see the potential in how easy it is to setup though.

6. mehware

mehware

Where is the unity package on your site like in the video?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

8. mehware

mehware

You da Bomb, going to check it out and post my thoughts. Also I don't think your mail form in contact is working, give it a try.

9. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

It does work, it just doesn't give feedback to you saying that a message was sent. I'll add that to the list of things to clear up. Thanks!

10. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Looks awasome so far, I think it will help me a lot with my demo versions.

11. hima

hima

Thanks! I've been looking for something like this. Though the functionality still leave a lot to be desired, I'm glad to find an analytic tool that cam be integrated very easily with Unity :)

12. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

Please let us know what sort of functionality you'd like to have. We're just getting started and appreciate all feedback.

13. hima

hima

I haven't used it yet, but for a start, I want to log something but I don't want to mix it with Debug.Log. I want to separate between Debug.Log that I wanna read during development, and maybe Lumos.Log , which will send the log to the server. Currently, I need to clean all the Debug.Log and only log something I want to see on the web, which isn't really convenient.

I'll come back with more feedback after I use it :)

14. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

Are you talking about custom events? Such as "Player beat level 1" or "Game over" and they would have a tally of how many times this event has happened, etc?

15. matthewminer

matthewminer

Custom events are in the pipeline. We realize it's an important feature, and rest assured it's at the top of our priority list. Along with the usability of the website, which admittedly leaves much to be desired.

Definitely send us any feedback and feature suggestions, it helps to know what sort of data you'd like recorded.

16. returnString

returnString

I've been using it for a few weeks now and I'm thoroughly impressed, caught a fair few errors already based on different platforms and such, not to mention just how easy the setup process is.

Definite recommendation from me if you're releasing regular test builds as well, helps cut down on the number of "ok, and in what scenario is this bug occurring" emails with your guinea pigs. ;)

17. hima

hima

Yes, custom events. Glad to know that it's in the to-do list! Anyway, I just tried it and I have to say the integration and the process is very easy ^ ^ Kudos for that!

I don't quite understand how the graph of new players work though. This is the first time I tried it with Lumos and while the statistic say 1 new player, the graph show 400 something in May. Is this just placeholder data or something?

18. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

We recently switched to a new charting system and this issue came along with it. This will be fixed soon.

19. xenonmiii

xenonmiii

I'm doing some Unity prototypes for the iOS platform. I have several Debug.Log commands and I'm seeing them in XCode console but they don't come up in the Logs section of the lumos website. The feedback work fine though.
    Should I be using Debug.Log or something else?

20. matthewminer

matthewminer

Yes, using Debug.Log should work. Fire me an email at matthew@uselumos.com and we can figure out where the problem is.

21. will123

will123

Great work guys this is awsome :)
    I was originally planning to use Google analytics to track game statistics, but using lumos is so much easier.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  22. matthewminer

matthewminer

Glad you're enjoying it, we're going to be adding many new features in the coming months. Ease-of-integration remains our top priority though.

23. matthewminer

matthewminer

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  24. matthewminer

matthewminer

25. MegadethRocks

MegadethRocks

I'm not sure exactly what is happening, but the new version doesn't work for me when I try to send logs. It records the computer info of my dev machine just fine, but none of the logs come through. Then when the SendQueued method is called 30 seconds in I get this in the console.

Trying to Invoke method: Lumos.SendQueued couldn't be called.
    Log in file: C:/BuildAgent/work/.../Runtime/Mono/MonoExportUtility.cpp at line 302

This happens with both the direct download and the Asset Store package. I may have just screwed something up when I imported but I thought you might like to know.

The package is awesome though. I can see this being a huge help once our new game goes live.

26. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    Does this work on iOS (reading above it seems it should)
    I tested this on Win and OSX and stats came through ok on the website, but my iPad2 test app does not show up at all?

ty!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  27. unitydevist

unitydevist

I had the same problem you did.

28. matthewminer

matthewminer

Sorry about that, the problem was with the static modifier on Lumos.SendQueued. Removing this allows the method to execute successfully, and the debug logs to send. I've submitted a bug fix to the Asset Store, but you can download the updated package directly from our downloads page now: http://www.uselumos.com/support/downloads

It should, thought admittedly we need to do further testing to ensure that it works as expected. One feature that (intentionally) won't work on iOS is system info, as Apple's terms of service prevents this information from being sent to third party analytics services like ours.

29. MegadethRocks

MegadethRocks

Nice...thanks for the quick fix. Just out of curiosity, where does it display the System language? I thought it might be in either the Players section or in the System Info -> Software tab, but I wasn't able to find it.

30. matthewminer

matthewminer

The player languages should show up on the Players page. If no player languages have been recorded though nothing will show up. The language is only recorded for new players, so it's possible that you may see no language stats until you deploy your game and new users play it.

31. matthewminer

matthewminer

We're going to be at Unite 2011, so if any of you fine folks want to meet up to chat about Lumos let me know. We'd love to meet our current/future users.

32. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

33. matthewminer

matthewminer

We're releasing a couple sweet features today. The first is Events, which allows you to record all sorts of information that occurs in your game. You can see stats like how many players reach each level, how much time players spend on a specific task, or how many people choose to accept a particular mission. It's flexible yet easy to use, and you can perform cool stuff like funnel analysis and per-level comparisons of events.

The second feature going out the door is the Realtime Feed. This is a live updating stream of information as it's recorded. As soon as some debug logs, events, or new players are recorded, you'll see it instantly.

The Unity package has been submitted to the Asset Store and is pending. What with Unite 2011 this week I doubt it'll be live soon, but you can download the new version directly from our downloads page: http://www.uselumos.com/support/downloads

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  34. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

35. svarrall

svarrall

Hey Brad/Matthew,

Any news on when the uselumos site might be back up again?

36. matthewminer

matthewminer

The site's back up now, apologies for the inconvenience. Some late-night server tweaks went awry.

37. svarrall

svarrall

Great, looks like the new players/day calculation has been fixed too. Glad to see it being iterated on!

Keep up the good work

38. J_P_

J_P_

Just started testing Lumos -- I like it so far, but it doesn't seem to track Events accurately. I'm on iOS.

'Hits' should reflect how many times the event was reported, correct? Because it seems to miss a lot. I made a simple test:

void EventTest () {
    eventCount++;
    Lumos.Event("EventCounter", eventCount);
    }

So hits would = the maximum reported value. It reports correctly in the realtime feed but it doesn't report correct figures if I view them in the event tab (hits is way too low).

I haven't confirmed, but perhaps if multiple of the same event is sent in the same update they're all counted as one 'hit'? I assume this isn't intended.

edit: and my feature request/question: is there a way to view data over time? Like a line graph showing event hits by day/week/month?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  39. abhuva

abhuva

Well, i just wanted to tell that you have one loyal customer more in your list now.
    Just stumbled across this little gem today, was able to completely set it up and integrate it in our current game within 5 mins total.

I am just amazed, we was thinking about doing a custom solution for tracking statistics, but this is just way better - custom statistics, bugtracker, feedbacks ... just everything in one brilliant package.

I hope we can still afford it once you guys go premium version, but i am quite sure that my team will agree with me that we should try to...
    Thanks for this wonderful product and keep up the good work...

40. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Warning after I imported this. Here is the specific warning I got:

Assets/Editor/Lumos/LumosWizard.cs(23,40): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.InstantiatePrefab(UnityEngine.Object)' is obsolete: `Use PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab'

How do I fix this, if I'm allowed to? I don't know C-Sharp. Only Unity's Javascript, btw. I posted the exact same thing at the support section of the website's forum.

Also, I'm using the Free version of Unity 3.5. Since I use Javascript I did move this to the plugin folder.

Edit: It still works quite well, but the warning thing is kind of bugging me. I like to keep my console free of errors and warnings as much as possible. Does this warning affect performance at all?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  41. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

It's not going to hurt your performance having that warning there, it looks like some of the code being used is now deprecated. I don't like to see those annoying warnings either though! So we'll have a fix for you shortly. Thanks for letting us know.

42. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

We have an updated UnityPackage available on our website now that addresses Unity 3.5 and Flash export issues people have experienced with Lumos.

Download the latest Lumos client
    http://www.uselumos.com/support/downloads

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  43. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Cool, thank you.

44. virror

virror

Just want to say that this is a great thing!
    Very simple to set up and works like a charm : )

45. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

Thanks Virror. We're working away at a lot of new stuff that we think you guys will love even more :)

46. Jay_Santos

Jay_Santos

Hey guys,

I'm giving Lumos a spin and it looks very promising so far!

I've only hit one minor snag (running Lumos 7.1

I am calling Lumos.Event after an in-app purchase to track how many
    purchases were made. However, even though I call Lumos.Event once, the
    number of that event in the site is increased by two every purchase.

Here's the code for reference, this is the only place where I call
    Lumos.Event in my code, and the Debug.Log above it is printed only
    once:

Code (csharp):
    1. public void PurchaseSuccessful (StoreKitTransaction result)
    2.        {
    3.                this.loadingIcon.renderer.enabled = false;
    4.                this.popUpScript.SetButtons (false, null, true, this.HidePopup, false, null);
    5.                this.popUpScript.SetText ("Purchase successful!");
    6.                this.popUpScript.EnablePopup (true);
    7.                Booster.AddBooster (1);
    8.                AchievementsController.IncreasePurchasedBoosterCount ();
    9.                Debug.Log("LUMOS.EVENT");
    10.                Lumos.Event("Booster Purchased");
    11.        }
    The guys from Lumos replied pretty quick to my e-mails (kudos, guys! :)) and will try to reproduce the problem, so I decided to try my luck around here a see if anybody had seen it.

Thanks in advance,

Jay_Santos

47. virror

virror

I have problems setting up the WindowClose callback when closing the feedback window. How do i do that?

48. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

Here's a basic C# example on how to use the windowClosed event.

Code (csharp):
    2. LumosFeedback.ShowDialog();
    4. LumosFeedback.windowClosed += delegate {
    5.     Debug.Log("The window was closed");
    6. };
    The message "The window was closed" will only appear in the log when the Feedback window is becomes closed.

49. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

We (Lumos) have managed to reproduce a couple issues with events and are working on fixing them now. We've had a ton of feedback lately and it's been really great for us. Thanks.

50. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    Does Lumos also work with the webplayer?

ty!