Search Unity

Lumos game analytics

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by matthewminer, May 27, 2011.

1. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

I think so, yes! Perhaps something like an average/max/min FPS log would be useful too.

2. matthewminer

matthewminer

To keep the prefab from forgetting settings, break the prefab connection entirely (GameObject > Break Prefab Instance). It used to work fine in previous versions of Unity, but somewhere along the line it broke. We'll fix this in the next release.

That's surprising that it's not respecting DontDestroyOnLoad though; it's the first time we've heard of this issue happening. We'll try to reproduce the problem and see what's going on.

3. SteveJ

SteveJ

Is there any way to "Clear All" on the Lumos stats for a particular game? Right now my game shows something like 400 players (presumably all from the editor as it's not released). I'd like to be able to clear EVERYTHING when I release it so I can start collecting production data from that point on.

There is a way to clear some stuff like the log entries, but doesn't seem to be an option for deleting ALL data.

EDIT: Actually, you can clear Events too. Just seems to be the data on the "Players" screen that can't be reset?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. matthewminer

matthewminer

Currently it isn't possible to clear player data, though we agree that there should be. A workaround is to create two games and switch the secret key to the second one before you put your game into production.

5. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Hi,
    i've just tested lumos with some basic debug log and event calls. And it looks like not all events and logs are being registered... i've sent multiple logs and events but only one event and one log was registered with one hit.
    any idea what could causing this?

6. arkon

arkon

I had this problem too, but found out why. I had dropped the prefab into the scene and it wouldn't remember the secret key. Deleting the prefab in the scene and using the wizard solved the problem. Seems like the editor need to place the prefab into the scene for some reason. All said it works great though and I have it working on an android game.

7. matthewminer

matthewminer

Events and logs are queued and sent only after thirty seconds -- could this be why you're not seeing them? Do the events and logs appear in the realtime feed?

8. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

thats what i thought first.... so i've waited some time but still no luck. Its really weird because it looks like it would log just randomly...
    events and logs do not appear in the realtime feed.

9. matthewminer

matthewminer

In an Awake function, try setting Lumos.debug = true;. At the very least this should show the outgoing requests. I don't see any errors in the server logs, so my hunch is that the problem is happening on the client. The debug logs will make it easier to track down.

10. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

hmm okay i think i know what happened. I stopped the application too soon after i sent an event, so lumos didn't had any time to send the data.
    But sometimes it worked out because the connection was fast enough. ;)
    thanks for your time and help.

btw. this is a really great tool!

11. matthewminer

matthewminer

Happy to hear it works. Perhaps we should notify on quit in the editor when there are logs and events still queued. Ideally we'd send them on quit, but due to technical limitations we're unable to do so.

12. AbgaryanFX

AbgaryanFX

AWESOME !
    thanks for bright peace of cake :)

13. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    I'm testing a new project with Lumos and found some strange behaviour.
    I'm using iGUI for this project and the pop up lists work fine.
    When I add Lumos the pop up lists don't populate or respond for quite some time.
    I tracked it down to Lumos because it only happened when I added Lumos, and was aok once I removed it.

Is Lumos thread blocking the iGui setup or something?

ty!

14. matthewminer

matthewminer

I'm unsure why Lumos breaks iGUI; the package doesn't do anything particularly exotic in this regard. There's an OnGUI call in Lumos.cs that shows the feedback window, though it's unclear why this causes trouble. Mind you, I'm not too familiar with how iGUI works. Try removing / commenting out the OnGUI function in Lumos.cs and see if that fixes the problem.

15. AbgaryanFX

AbgaryanFX

Hi,
    What happening with lumos ? are you going to add new features ?

16. matthewminer

matthewminer

We're working hard on many new features for Lumos, we're just not quite ready to announce them yet. In the meantime though we'd love to hear what features in particular you want to see.

17. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

Hey,

I just started using Lumos here. It's really fast to integrate and start using. I'm going to run some tests. I'm finishing to create some events recording here and will see how things roll.

Hope you keep developing and improving this analytics platform. It is already great and has huge potential.

Thanks so much for providing a free solution. As a tiny developer, it will really boost my produtcs. Looking forward to see your premium features.

Cheers!

18. matthewminer

matthewminer

Glad to hear you're enjoying Lumos. Just let us know if you have any suggestions or run into problems.

19. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

In fact, I noticed that no event is recorded at Start() method. Is that right or I'm missing something?

Other than that, your solution works like a charm. I'm going down building at mobiles right now to run some testing.

But I can't say enough - Thanks!

20. matthewminer

matthewminer

This is currently a bug. A race condition occurs that prevents events from recording before Lumos has initialized. A hacky workaround is to call an event with a delay using WaitForSeconds or something similar, though obviously this isn't ideal.

21. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

I think it can be worked around with a waitForSeconds() easily.

Not that I want you to perform as support, but if you're available please tell me about the non repeatable events. They cannot repeat in the same game session, but can repeat between several game sessions, right?

22. matthewminer

matthewminer

Non-repeatable events will not repeat between game sessions. A flag is stored in PlayerPrefs indicating that the event has been recorded, and it won't be allowed to do so again, even if the player quits and starts a new game later. This might be useful, say, if you want to know how many unique players make it to level three. Clearing PlayerPrefs when the game closes would make the events system perform as you describe though.

23. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

Very interesting.

I'm in fact trying to store that precise information about how many unique players did "x". But I'm facing issues. Most of the time the event don't register, and when it did, it would register several times in between game sessions.

Here is the code I'm using:

Code (csharp):
    1. IEnumerator waitAndLogUniquePlayer() {
    2.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(2.0f);
    3.         Lumos.Event("Menu - New Unique Player", System.DateTime.Now.Hour, false);
    4.     }
    I just deleted the game on Lumos page, created another and changed the keys. Tried twice but this won't register.
    I just cleared playerPrefs. But nothing.

24. matthewminer

matthewminer

Events are only sent every thirty seconds on a timer. If you close the game before the time, the information is lost. Is it possible that this is the reason you're not seeing the event recorded? Otherwise I see nothing wrong with your code. Sometimes watching the realtime feed, which display requests as Lumos receives them, can be helpful to see when the game sends information to the server.

25. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

Excellent!

You solved my problem. And I'm here almost banging my head on the keyboard!

I also noticed when you clear playerPrefs another new player is recognized by the "players" and "system info" tabs on Lumos. Is there any way to clear those stats?

26. matthewminer

matthewminer

The timer is an optimization to keep the number of requests low, but it certainly causes a lot of confusion. We'll look into ways to make more obvious what's happening (a visual countdown in the editor perhaps?).

Clearing PlayerPrefs will indeed remove the recorded player ID. Unfortunately we don't yet have a way to clear this data. We did at one point, but it was buggy and caused more problems than it solved. It's not the greatest solution, but you can create a new game if you need to start fresh.

27. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

My suggestion about the timer, is a simple addition to your event's support page, explaining the timer functionality and reason. So users can learn about it easily.

The players count isn't much of a problem.

I will stop bugging you now!

Thanks!

28. matthewminer

matthewminer

We should probably do that, thanks for the suggestion. And no worries, I'm here to help. :)

29. DoktorAce

DoktorAce

Is anyone else having problems using Lumos with the latest version of Unity (4.1)?
    If I download Lumos (from website or the asset store) and unpack Unity will crash when compiling the scripts. If I restart it, it seems to work, but whenever scripts are compiled unity crashes. It stops crashing if I remove Lumos from my project.

Thanks!

30. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

Can't say that I have. Using 3.5.7 still because of free mobile licenses.

Maybe there is something else in your project conflicting with Lumos?

31. matthewminer

matthewminer

Hmm, that's concerning. I wasn't able to reproduce the issue myself though. Does this happen with only Lumos, or other packages as well?

32. DoktorAce

DoktorAce

Hmm..

It still crashes during package import, but now it at least works after I force quit and restart Unity!

33. Justei

Justei

I am using the latest version of Unity with Pro, is this reported to work fine with it?
    Also, when is a premium version coming out? :) if this works out, I'd gladly pay for it!

Another question I have, if (god forbid) your service would cease to exist, or be down for some reason, will this somehow affect my players? (For example errors, etc).

34. matthewminer

matthewminer

Lumos should work just fine with Unity Pro. It uses Unity's built-in WWW class to communicate with our servers, which functions the same across editions.

We should have news about a premium version in a few months. We're hard at work on major improvements, but they're going to require a fair amount of polish and testing before release. Soon!

Players shouldn't notice any adverse effects is Lumos is down, though admittedly this is an area we need to test more. In any case, there's no reason why gameplay should be affected.

35. DannyB

DannyB

Hi,

I see on the changelog page that this project was last updated a year ago.
    Am I to assume this is no longer maintained?

36. matthewminer

matthewminer

Hi Danny, we're actually working hard on substantial upgrades to Lumos. We have some big announcements coming soon.

37. DannyB

DannyB

Hmm. Well on February this year I reported some bug related to the timing of sending the report to the server, and the last communication I see in my mailbox is you saying "we will fix it in the next version of the Unity package". Was there any version release that is not mentioned in the changelog? Or was this fix just forgotten?

I am asking since I wanted to use it then, and now, I am again at a point where I am about to release a game, and want to use it now.

38. matthewminer

matthewminer

We haven't rolled out a new release yet, no. If you need to send events and logs from an Awake or Start function, one solution is to remove the lines in LumosEvents.cs and LumosLogs.cs that check if Lumos is initialized yet (lines 34-36 and 55-57, respectively). Alternatively, if you use a yield statement to wait for a few seconds, the Lumos handshake will complete in time and the events will be sent as expected.

39. DannyB

DannyB

Well - as discussed already in the last email communication, this is an unacceptable behavior, and was supposed to be fixed. Your words...
    Don't mean to be blunt, but this whole combination of things does not inspire confidence as to the future (or present state) of this project.

40. matthewminer

matthewminer

The bulk of our development effort has been focused on revamping Lumos' infrastructure and keeping the current system operational — scaling to meet the traffic requirements of hundreds of games while continuing to be free is nontrivial — so don't take the Unity client as an indication of a lack of development. We're working hard to fix all the bugs we can, but sometimes things get lost in the mix.

41. mudokon100

mudokon100

I've been trying to implement lumos into our university project. In our earlier test versions, it all worked fine, but now I come to put it into the final version, and the website is redirecting me to lumospowered.com instead.

All well and good, except the site is blank. 3 different browsers, and only chrome gives me a different result - "server error". What's up with this? Finding an alternative online based analytics tool would be a real pain right now, especially since none we tried compare to the simplicity and efficiency of lumos.

42. matthewminer

matthewminer

Sorry about that, we've been having some stability issues over the past 12 hours. The site's back up now and we're looking into the problem.

43. sonicviz

sonicviz

Could you at least make the diagnostics sortable? It's completely unusable without some form of search/sorting.

ty!

44. matthewminer

matthewminer

Sorting is a feature we're working on. Unfortunately it's a difficult problem with the tech stack we're using, but it's on the roadmap. I hope to have it implemented soon; paging through logs is definitely tiresome.

45. sonicviz

sonicviz

Not tiresome, completely unuseable

46. matthewminer

matthewminer

In the meantime, it's possible to export logs to CSV format, which can then be viewed in Excel / your spreadsheet program of choice. It's not as convenient as viewing the data in the browser, but it will allow you to sort and search.

47. sonicviz

sonicviz

It doesn't work, at least I can't get it to work.
    Some message about refreshing the page in a few minutes, try that many times, nothing ever appears at the bottom of the page to download the csv.

48. matthewminer

matthewminer

We'll look into the problem. The CSV export functionality is fairly recent, so there may be bugs lurking yet.

49. matthewminer

matthewminer

This problem has been fixed now (but if you run into more problems with the CSV exporting please let us know).

50. sonicviz

sonicviz

Thanks! That worked.

Can you explain the format of last updated field. It looks fairly cryptic eg: 1348469733 and does not look like a date.
    How do I sort this timewise?

ty!