Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newlife

newlife

LOL finally i understood what you mean! wheel spinnging stand still..
    In order to achieve this (both in real world and in UnityCar) you need one of this condition:

1) decreased grip on the rear tire (like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbn9NG1VhPw)
    2) hand brake acting only on the front tires (in all UnityCar vehicles, like the real counterpart, handbrake acts only on the rear tires)

The simplest way to achieve this is to modify hand brake in order to make it act only on the front tire.

PS: I succeeded in implementing a good looking (and adequately realistic) skid smoke, it will implemented in UnityCar 2.0

2. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

That's great to hear!! I'm sure it will look awesome when you release the first 2.0 tech demos. Is there an approx date for the UnityCar 2.0 release?

I think option (2) would be the best but at the same time would that have an effect on using the handbrake around corners? Perhaps there would have to be an additional boolean added to check for for example:

if the car is moving, handbrake effects rear wheels only
    else handbrake effects front wheels only

If I remember correctly, in the old NFS games (like in the video above) when pressing the accelerator in N gear the wheels would spin without moving the vehicle. Likewise at the start of a race, by pressing the accelerator before the race countdown you could spin the wheels but only be able to accelerate once the countdown was finished. While this isn't the most realistic functionality, it does create a nice effect.

If I were to purchase this product, would I be able to receive some support on adding this functionality, if it isn't included in UC 2.0?

Thanks again for you fast response, and sorry if I'm asking too many questions haha!

3. devotid

devotid

Has anybody had any luck getting a controller calibration tool implemented for unity Car (or any driving game made in unity)? My controllers all seem to resort to using the Raw Input and not the Direct Input that is nicely already done by windows. All of my controllers with the exception of a new XBOX 360 controller will not center or reach full stroke in both directions. Using DXTweak i have made sure that the windows Calibration is correct and working. It is also fine in all other games besides anything made with unity.

If anyone knows anything more on this. I could really use a some help and also willing to pay for your time if you can help with this.
    i have a thread started in support for this with no help or ideas yet: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/131603-Why-RawInput-and-Not-Direct-Input-Any-advice

Im using Unity Car 1.2 and am happy with my vehicles and would like to release some beta stuff...... but cannot be sure the controllers are working correctly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....as i have asked quite a few people with not much help.

Thanks

Kevin

4. newlife

newlife

moroz just told me a simpler solution: disable TCS, ESP and automatic transmission and Increase max power to 1.5X.
    Now you can make burnout using the clutch (like in your video). Remember to use both throttle AND brakes when you release the clutch.

this is a very easy feat to implement. you just need to lock front brakes when you want to obtain this "artificial" burnout effect

5. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Ok great, thanks NewLife. If I have any trouble setting this up, is this forum the best place to ask questions or do you prefer your website email?

6. newlife

newlife

Typically this thread is for those who are not yet customers and email (even better skype) is for customers.
    If you need a quick reply you can use email or skype even if you are not a customer.

7. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Excellent! Looking forward to working through these things with you. Thanks again NewLife

8. alewinn

alewinn

Hi !

I would like to know if there is an easy way to "block" the car to do a "U" turn, or get back or anything like this.
    Simply put, i would like to do an Outrun clone, where your car can only go forward or be delayed or even have a big accident (like in outrun).
    Is this kind of gameplay possible with this ?

9. newlife

newlife

hello Alewinn,
    it shouldn't be difficult.
    You just need to check the angle of the car respect of the camera, and apply a torque in order to limit the maximum turn the car can make.
    Regards,
    Michele

10. devotid

devotid

Michele,

Whats your plans on the saving and loading of car setup files?

I ask because i am building that part of my game at the moment and wondered if you were using XML, SQL or something else to store the data files?

I am also finishing an in-game track builder and will have to save the "layout" data of that somehow..... so im just trying to get an idea of what you will be using to save and load the "car setups" so i can try to keep things clean.

Also.... Any idea of time frame when you will be done with a build that has the ability to load and save the setups to a "copy-able and shareable" file? I not nagging, just trying to see if i have to "roll my own" on this one and just adapt to your method when released. If you are planning a release in the next week or so i will wait.

Thanks again for the work that you have done.

Kevin.

11. newlife

newlife

Im using text asset with a ini style layout.

My plan is to release UnityCar 2.0 in a week.

12. Dm1try

Dm1try

I've bought your package - it really accurate simulates vehicles.
    But I couldn't find a licence file. Could you explain what rights do I have ?

13. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

I'm looking forward to the release of the new version.

14. newlife

newlife

yep i forgot to add it to the readme file.
    So here it is:

Package Licence

You can do whatever you want with this package except selling it.
    If possible, put a reference to UnityCar middleware in the about screen of your application (anyway this is not mandatory).
    You can find the official UnityCar logo in psd format under Assets/UnityCarLogo/, so you can easly change its dimensions and colors to adapt it to your application.

15. Dm1try

Dm1try

Thank you for quick answer.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi NewLife,

Very happy with the UnityCar package so far :) I am having a small problem that I can't figure out the solution to. When I drive a car down a steep hill in automatic transmission mode, the transmission stays in a low gear and will not automatically shift up. So it just screams down the hill in 2nd gear at 7000 rpm. Otherwise it shifts normally.

You can see an example of this in my game if you click on the "drive" button and then go down the big hill that you are immediately faced with:

http://moosemouse.com/big_time_racing.htm

Is there anything I can tweak to make it shift gears rather than screaming down the hill in 2nd gear at 7000 rpm?

Thanks,
    Shawn

17. ddesmond

ddesmond

If Unity car is purchased now, do you get the update for free?

18. Ecocide

Ecocide

Yep!

19. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I had a look on your website and it looks cheaper to buy UnityCar through your website via paypal (97€) as oppose to the Unity Asset Store (142.50€). If I buy it through paypal though will I still be able to get free upgrades like you do through the asset store, like when a new version of UnityCar comes out?

20. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I'm stoked can't wait for UnityCar 2.0! This has been one of the best kits I have ever bought!

21. newlife

newlife

Yes. Price difference is due not only to Unity commission, but also to the big Denmark VAT addition (25%), cause Unity is a Denmark company from the fiscal point of view.

22. newlife

newlife

Hi Shawn,
    sorry for the late, Im busy for UnityCar 2.0 release.
    I tested your example, and I think i understood what is the problem. Technically speaking, automatic transmission algorithm checks if shift up RPM is reached and, if not already changing gear, shifts up to the next gear. In your case, when the car is on the steep hill, it accelerates even with no throttle cause of gravity force. So, when it comes the time to change gear (from first to second) automatic transmission changes gear but, when it releases the clutch, engine RPM is higher than shift up RPM (this is caused mainly by a too short second gear and a long shift time) so it believes that the process of changing gear is still not completed, and cant change gear again.
    To fix this problem you have to lengthen the second gear and secondly, decrease shift time.
    Let me know if this fix this issue.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  23. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Thanks for your reply. Sure I understand. What I'm wondering though, is if I were to purchase UnityCar 1.2 now via paypal, how would I upgrade to 2.0? Would I have to repurchase UnityCar 2.0 at the full price?

24. newlife

newlife

every customer will receive free upgrade

25. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Excellent. Thank you NewLife

26. mattSydney

mattSydney

Hi New Life.

Love unityCar but am concerned with the performance on mobile devices when you have more than one car (say 3 cars). I profiled it in Unity and it seems the Wheels.FixedUpdate uses 77% and slows down to 5fps on iPhone 4. Any tips on improving this please

thanks

27. newlife

newlife

contact me on skype in order to receive a simple upgrade on 1.2 which can improve performance several times.
    Btw upcoming 2.0 will sport 5X performance improvements on mobile devices with the same simulation accuracy

28. mattSydney

mattSydney

Thanks prob need this in about 2-3 weeks so if v2.0 isn't out will Skype you cheers

29. newlife

newlife

The most IMPORTANT tip to improve this is to remove all OnGUI calls from scripts. Due to a Unity3D issue, even an empty OnGUI call causes a huge slow down in mobile performance, not visible on PC or MAC

30. devotid

devotid

I built a Car setup menu from scratch and Im trying to adjust the suspension and shock float variables with my own horizontal sliders instead of the ones you include with unity car 1.2...... but there seems to be a problem doing so.... i can see the floats changing and updating in the inspector when i move my sliders in the game at run time...but something from the default unity car script is stopping it from adjusting the actual car ride height. (ie; the car doesnt move but the floats are changing)
    if i check the "show Sliders" check box i can use your sliders.....just not mine.

Also...
    If i try to adjust a float variable that you dont have a "horizontal slider setup for" it works fine...... example (i can adjust the steering lock angle and the differential settings with my own sliders.

Is there a way to remove all of the "default" sliders and GUI stuff so i can just do everything myself? Like a "simplified version"?

And last ......where is the "R" key code located at?...... i would like to turn the car 90 degrees as well when it is "righted" but cannot find this "code" anywhere in the scripts.

Thanks..... i hope there is something easy that i am missing that is causing me not to be able to adjust these variables on my own with my own sliders and check boxes..... because i dont want to use the "default sliders"

Thanks

Kevin

31. devotid

devotid

also i just did a little more testing and it seems if i hit your "reset setup" button after adjusting my sliders the car will update to the correct ride height....... So im getting a little closer......

i hope i dont have to write a script to hit that will hit the "reset setup" button every frame to update the cars ride height when im setting it up in the garage....lol

Thanks

Kevin

32. DEtH_MoroZ

DEtH_MoroZ

If you change settings in CarDynamics, call SetCarParams() or SetTires() (if you change tire type) after adjustements

33. devotid

devotid

Thanks for the reply.........Im going to try this......
    because like i said it does seem to work properly when i just hit the "reset button" on the screen. Basically i adjust my sliders and then i hit the reset button to install them.

I wish it would do it live "real time" but i think it actually looks kinda cool this way ......like "pick the shocks.....and then hit the button to install them on the car."

I will keep trying and maybe PM NewLife and wee what he says......

Im really not in a big hurry as im gonna leave this for a few days and work on something else..... i find this helps when i have been stuck on something for a few days.

THANKS AGAIN!

Kevin

34. devotid

devotid

Well i ended up using a send message action named "SetCarParams" from playmaker scripting tool( which im using to "write the game logic" .... It worked on the first try. :) WOOHOO!

I thank you very very much...... you not only taught me a cool new skill but know im on to the next fun thing in my project.

Kevin

35. dog

dog

36. newlife

newlife

37. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

Any time estimate on 2.0? :)

38. goat

goat

Post here if you do do that.

I have plans for a racing game myself but most of what it needs is met by Unity's own Car Tutorial, however at 1/2 price I could justify buying your UnityCar for a few extra features.

39. gunga

gunga

Just bought this yesterday via your paypal, still not received the file. I emailed you and added you on Skype?

40. newlife

newlife

just sent you the email with download link

41. gunga

gunga

The documentation is incomplete it's pretty complex to understand all the settings. Perhaps version 2 will have better documentation.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  42. edgley

edgley

I have been looking and looking, where do I / how to do I edit / access the input manager?
    I have it in the library, its in the hierarchy but I cannot seem to see the guts of it.

thanks.

43. devotid

devotid

Any News on 2.0?

i could use some more optimization's.....lol. (project is getting quite complex.....fast.:) )

Thanks.

Kevin

44. newlife

newlife

Hello dunga,
    can you tell me where do you think documentation is incomplete or complex to aunderstand?

45. newlife

newlife

you have to copy it the InputManager.asset file (in inputManager folder) in the library folder of your project

46. newlife

newlife

hello kevin,
    what do you mean?

47. gunga

gunga

Any news on version 2?

48. goat

goat

Go did Caitlynn ever got back to you about adding your package to the 1/2 sale? There is another competive racing package that will be almost 1/2 off yours if yours is put 1/2 offnso it's really about cost.

49. mattSydney

mattSydney

Hi New Life

I skyped you with a question about a new wheels script for IOS that you said you could send me, but got no reply. I wonder If i used the correct address. michele.dilena. Should I try again?

50. newlife

newlife

whats that 1/2 sale?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.