Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newlife

newlife

UnityCar 1.2 Released

UnityCar is a realistic and complete vehicle simulation package for Unity3D Game Engine. With UnityCar you can easly integrate (without scripting) any kind of vehicle in your game: passenger cars, racing cars, dragsters, drift cars, trucks (with trailer), buses with complex sections of any number of wheels. You can obtain any level of simulation accuracy, from an arcade behavior (by enabling ArcadeMode) to a almost hardcore simulation. Adding a vehicle to your projects is as easy as clicking on a menu voice under Component/Physics menu.

My package is sold on the Asset Store at 142.5€ (150$ + 25% Denmark VAT) .
    You can also buy it on my web site at 97€ via PayPal using unitycar at unitypackages.net as vendor email. If you buy on my web site, you'll also benefit of a full 30 days money back guarantee. Contact me in PM or at unitycar at unitypackages.net for more info.

Click on the images here under to play one of the four UnityCar Live Demos (Pixelactive City, Tutorial Track, Monza Track, Rally Sweden Track).

In these demos you can test UnityCar with 8 different vehicles (you can select them with PageDown and PageUp keys):

• Peugeot 205 T16 (a light and fast citycar);
    • Renault Clio Sport (another citycar, a little bigger than the previous);
    • Ferrari (a powerful sport car);
    • Catamount (a powerful sport car);
    • Gmc Sierra Grande (an offroad car);
    • Monster Truck (an offroad car with very big wheel, perfect to test the Tridimensional Tire feature of UnityCar).
    • Truck (a truck with trailer);
    • Moon Buggy (6 wheels funny car);

Features:
    • Very easy to setup just click on "UnityCar" menu voice under Component/Physics menu and you are ready to drive;
    • Very enjoyable and physical credible ArcadeMode easy, enjoyable and physical credible drive mode;
    • Realistic tire model based on Pacejka formulas with the addition of longitudinal and lateral relaxation and optional elastic deformation;
    • Realistic car damages with repair option (based on the work of BTM)
    • Realistic suspension model with spring, damper (dump and rebound) and anti-roll bar;
    • Optimized code suitable for mobile system like iphone or ipad;
    • Compatible with analogic input like driving wheels and pedals. Fully compatible with multi-axis wheels like Logitech G25 - G27;
    • No lateral sliding on a slope;
    • 3D Tire all the contact points of the tire are found, not just only one vertical, like with the wheelCollider. Can be swithed off for arcade use;
    • Driving Aids useful to obtain an arcade feel (Anti Lock Brackes, Traction Control, Electronic Stability System, steering Assistance, Enanched Grip);
    • Complete DriveTrain modelled with fully functional clutch, differential, engine inertia, transmission (RWD, FWD, AWD), gears;
    • Complete Sound Controller with engine noises, trasmission noise, wind noise, crash noises, skid noise, scrape noise, rolling noise on grass, rolling noise on sand, rolling noise on off road;
    • Customizable Dashboard with TachoMeter, RPMCounter, gear number, ABS, TCS and ESP lights;
    • Brake Lights;
    • C# source code included nothing hidden behind binaries;
    • Customizable in every aspect of the vehicle:
      • engine power and torque,
      • wheel grip,
      • terrain grip,
      • suspension spring and dampers (dump and rebound),
      • anti-roll bar forces,
      • aerodynamic forces,
      • weight repartition,
      • gears number and ratio,
      • etc

• 9 fully functional vehicle prefabs included:
      • 1 Off Road car,
      • 2 City cars,
      • 2 Sport Car,
      • 1 Monster Truck car,
      • 1 Truck with trailer,
      • 1 Moon Buggy car (6 wheels car),
      • 1 Empty Car (fully functional car, you just need to place your graphics).

• 4 complete tracks included:
      • City Track,
      • Tutorial Track (taken from Unity Car Tutorial),
      • Monza Track,
      • Rally Track

Plus you get also: 5 fully functional dashboard with graphics and 4 different tyre models.

1.2 Updates and Fixes:

Updates:
    • all unused vars has been deleted in order to make the package warning free;
    • added abstract controller: now you can add any kind of script controller without having to modify the main (abstract) class. Included controller are: axis controller (for keyboard and wheel/joystick), mouse controller, mobile (iphone and android touchscreen and accelerometer) controller;
    • axis controller now is compatible with multi-axis driving wheel like Logitech G25 or G27;
    • some further code optimizations;
    • all the package code has been moved inside a folder called UnityCar in order to avoid messing with your project during import (thanks to azeitler for the suggetion);
    • added new feature: physic material simulation. Now you can have different vehicle behaviour (grip, rolling friction, static friction, dynamic friction) on different material. Included physic material: track, grass, sand, off road. You can add unlimited type of material;
    • added new class: physicmaterials. In this class you can put the materials you use in your terrain, with relative physical parameters (which are different from material one). These parameters are:[/B] grip, rolling friction, static friction, dynamic friction.
    • improved arcade mode;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: targetPlatform. With this parameter you can choose two different level of simulation accuracy: optimized for mobile devices and optimized for best simulation accuracy;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: controller. Used to change the controller used to control this vehicle. Possible values are: Axis (keyboard and wheel/joystick), Mouse, Mobile (iphone and android touchscreen and accelerometer), None;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: frontRearBrakeBalance. Used to change the brake balance between front and rear;
    • setup parmeter in cardynamics class is now a combo box;
    • tires parmeter in cardynamics class is now a combo box;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: air density;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics: disableAllGUI (used to to toggle all GUIs and all keys input in one time);
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: enableKeys. Used to enable / disable non control related keys like toggle ABS, toggle TCS, change transmission etc.
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: smoothInput. Used to toggle input values smoothing (used for digital input like keyboard, but unuseful for analog input like steering wheels).
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: TCSMinVelocity. Used to set minimum velocity at which TCS is triggered.
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: ABSMinVelocity. Used to set minimum velocity at which ABS is triggered.
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: ESPMinVelocity. Used to set minimum velocity at which ESP is triggered.
    • improved TCS behaviour: now car doesn't slow down in curves with TCS on (thanks to grfxman for the suggestion);
    • improved ABS behaviour: now if one wheel is locked, ABS doesn't cut brakes on all other wheels.
    • added three new parameters in soundcontroller class: rollingNoiseGrass, rollingNoiseSand, rollingnoiseOffRoad. Used to reproduce the rolling noise on different surface (grass, sand, off road);
    • some updates and corrections in the wiki documentation (http://www.unitypackages.net/unitycar/wiki)
    • improved automatic transmission: if speed < 10 km/h shifts directly to the first gear;
    • improved clutch: starts are smoother now;
    • improved 3D tire: now the tire is simulated as a full spring and damper system with optional tire deformation;
    • added a new parameter in wheel class: rimRadius. This is the radius of the wheel without the tire. Used in tire deformation in order to avoid to deform the tire more than physical possible;
    • new domain and new website: http://www.unitypackages.net/unitycar
    • fully compatible with Pro Racing AI package.

• added a new scene: Monza track, a full featured monza track build with GPS data. Thanks to Sipon for this;
    • added a new scene: Rally Sweden, a simple rally terrain;

Fixes:
    • fixed the error of cardamage script that cause sporadic weird car damages;
    • fixed subtle sliding of the car on a ascent with brakes on;

I have also updated UnityCar website and buyed a new, more coherent domain (http://www.unitypackages.net/unitycar):

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. Tyler Ridings

Tyler Ridings

Wow this looks great.I love the way the suspension feels on all the vehicles.I have a quick question,if i want to use this for something with more then 4 wheels say a big rig with 6 wheels how hard would that be to do?Is it pretty simple?

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Insanely good. I immediately bought the update!

4. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

i almost tried 15 minutes ,to flip the car [race car] .
    but i cannot .awesome work man.

5. azeitler

azeitler

does this support vehicle types with more than 4 wheels?

6. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

can this be used for a "wipe out simulation" i mean speed ships with invisible wheels. Could it work ? or it would need a really specific script to handle that kind of vehicules. Maybe a speed boat simulation would fit best for that stuff... It's a great job you've done. But maybe you could think about that kind of script too...
    Regards

7. Gary.Corp

Gary.Corp

Is there any way to use UnityCar to drive a Truck with Containers trailer ?

8. IonDave

IonDave

Is this in JS or C# and when will it be available via the Asset Store?

9. newlife

newlife

UnityCar 1.1 Update released. This is an important update that introduces important new features and some essential fixes.
    This version offers a new ArcadeMode, an easy and fun (yet physical credible) drive mode.

Updates:
    • added a new optional ArcadeMode;
    • now the wing class calculates correclty not only the downforce but also the drag of the wing;
    • now in the wing class is possible to specify not only the drag coefficent of the wing, but also the angle of attack and the area; thanks to David for this;
    • improved suspension bump stop behaviour;
    • improved managing of cars with more than 4 wheels;
    • added YforceDamp in the cardamage class; its used to damp the strenght of collisions in vertical direction, low values will save the car from severe damages after jumps;
    • fixed an error in the rev limiter code;
    • added diesel engine curve torque: now is possible to choose between petrol engine curve torque and diesel engine curve torque;
    • now is possible to use more than one reverse gear;
    • added a new parameter in DriveTrain class: engage Speed (how much time is used to engage the clutch), useful for heavy vehicle like trucks which need more time to engage the clutch effectifely;
    • added a new parameter in DriveTrain class: clutch Threshold (used to check if the clutch is fully engaged), useful to obtain smooter starts and to avoid unwanted clutch slipping;
    • added a new parameter in CarDynamics class: tires (here you can specify tires setup);

• added a new car (ferrari like)
    • added a new car (moon buggy, 6 wheels car)
    • added a new car (truck with trailer)

Fixes:
    • fixed the wrong dependency in CarController class: now you can create or import a car without the need to import the CarCameras class too; thanks to Emerson for this

Online demo:
    http://migliortestesso.com/unitycar/unitycar.php

10. azeitler

azeitler

Awesome update, will definately get it. The new vehicle examples cover exactly what I need.

11. IonDave

IonDave

So Is this in JS or C#??

12. azeitler

azeitler

It's not on the Asset Store yet, is it?
    How when it be available?
    And, oh yeah, is it in C#?
    (I thought I read somewhere that it is, but cannot find it again, so please confirm)

13. azeitler

azeitler

It's not on the Asset Store yet, is it?
    How when it be available?
    And, oh yeah, is it in C#?
    (I thought I read somewhere that it is, but cannot find it again, so please confirm)

14. tylo

tylo

I'm fairly certain the asset store will give you a breakdown of the file structure, which should tell you if the scripts are JS or C# by their file extension.

15. IonDave

IonDave

True, but it's not in the asset store. If they want to sell this, they could answer the question.

16. Regularry

Regularry

I have to agree. If someone is going to promote a set of scripts, which language the scripts are written in is a fairly obvious thing to expect to be mentioned. For some reason however, they seem to regularly leave that information out. Very aggravating.

17. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

The scripts are all C#.

18. newlife

newlife

Hi Regularry,
    can you tell me when did you ask if the scripts are in JS or C#?
    Btw, if you notice, all the questions about the script language are inside 7 hours range (at the time of this writing).
    Give me the time to answer ;) (Im in the GMT+1 time zone).
    Anyway, as Martin wrote, ALL the scripts are written in C#.
    For what concern the Asset Store, I waited almost 1 MONTH to receive a reply from the Asset Store (declined by Caitlyn May 28th, replied the same day, received the answer from Caitlyn on June 16th, telling me they lost my package and to resend it).
    So i decided to finish this update before resend my package to the Asset Store.

19. mikevanman

mikevanman

ohh very interesting, Im not making a comparison (I bought Edy's Vehicle Physics from the store) which is great but I'm a little disappointed their has not been an update yet (no sound from the cars).

I'm interested as you mention your package is "suitable for mobile system like iphone or ipad" I'v found Edy's Vehicle Physics pretty cpu hungry and wondering if I'm going to get a lot better frame rate with your system, (again I hate to be making a comparison as these are both clearly great packages).

Can anyone say if UnityCar would give me a higher frame rate than Edys, and whats it running on iPhone like?

20. azeitler

azeitler

I'm on NewLife's side here: Lay off him, people, so he took a day to reply to our questions (on a weekend) – that's still pretty fast.

Do you have any news on the Asset Store submission?
    I would prefer purchasing the package via the Asset Store, but I would like to get it within the next few days. So let me know which way we need to go.

21. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I've purchased both of them (UnityCar and Edy's Vehicle Physics) and both of them are great products... but I prefer UnityCar because I can get a more realistic vehicle behaviour. Right now, I'm developing an iOS game with UnityCar but it runs too slow on the device because the poly count of my scenes is too high. When I optimize the art assets and start using Occlusion Culling, I will write a post about UnityCar's performance on mobile devices.

Nice additions, the new suspension should help with a little problem I had in one of my tracks...

By the way, have you started to work in slipstreaming? The oval track is so booooooring without it... when everybody drives at full speed, it's too difficult to overtake anybody if we don't have slipstreaming :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  22. newlife

newlife

hi David nice to read this! If you want, we can work together in order to optimize performances on mobile devices.

Anyway, for what concern my code, I used all the optimization i know to ensure the best performance (I followed all the script optimization suggested by Unity (http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.Performance_Optimization.html) plus others) and I worked to optimize the various algorithms used to model the vehicle.

For what concern slipstreaming, im going to work on it after sending the package on the asset store.

23. newlife

newlife

Hi azeitler, thank you for your reply.
    Imv going to send the package to the asset store today. hope that this time they will accept it quickly ;)

24. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Sure. I didn't look at code optimization too much when I submitted my changes because I knew I didn't have the most up-to-date version of the code, but I'll help you to optimize the code when I start testing the game on the physical device.

Ok, don't worry, you know I'm not in a hurry. It's only that I tested the oval track yesterday and although the vehicle physics were perfect, it was a little boring because it was almost impossible to overtake another vehicle. I hope things get more interesting when we get slipstreaming...

25. newlife

newlife

Sent to the Asset Store for reviewing some hours ago.
    Hope to receive good news soon :)

26. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Just a pre-purchases question, How did you calculate the RPM's?

27. grfxman

grfxman

Really very Cool. My only issue (and it's a small issue ) is that the vehicle decelerates while turning left or right. You should be able to accelerate into a turn.

28. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Even if the throttle is completely pushed, the car will lose some speed while turning because the tire friction will increase due to lateral forces. Of course, if you are driving at low speeds, engine mechanical forces should be greater than aerodynamic drag and tire friction forces, so you should be able to increase the speed even when you are turning... but if you are driving fast, I would expect to lose some speed when turning even if I'm pushing completely the throttle.

There are some parameters that can be modified to increase (or decrease) this effect if desired, but I don't think it can be removed completely because it would go against the realism in the physical simulation. I suppose it would be a trial-and-error process...

29. mikevanman

mikevanman

was hoping this would be accepted and on the asset store for the weekend...
    (do the update the attest store over the weekend ?

30. azeitler

azeitler

The package hit the Asset Store a few hours ago – and I immediately got it.
    But: "Error while importing package: Package has unknown format"

What's up with that?

31. mikevanman

mikevanman

sorted although the price is coming up as €142.50, I thought it was going to be €97,

I also want that new Shatter Toolkit (which mysteriously is coming up as €142.50 too) that makes me sad.....

32. azeitler

azeitler

I still cannot import the package – even after several re-downloads.

33. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Hello,

I have exact the same problem. Download seems to be corrupt or made with some exotic beta version of Unity. Tried it on Windows and Mac.

Peter

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  34. newlife

newlife

Hello everybody,
    first of all some explanation about the price:
    when you upload a package on the asset store you cant choose an exact price, you are bound to some pre defined price. For example, you can choose 100$ or 150$, nothing in the middle. I choose 150$ cause at the current exchange 150 is 105€, 100$ is 70€. At this price you have to add Unity commission AND VAT! (Unity is located in denmark and VAT in denmark is 25% (!!) ).
    Anyway, is not clear why the price on the asset store has grown to 142.5€, which is 201$. Im going to ask Caitlyn about this.

For what concern the package, Im really sorry but right now Caitlyn told me that the package seems corrupted, so im going to send it again.

For what concern msken complain, you have to remember that im only one person, so I cant be always in front of the computer, and yesterday was sunday (I have been out of town for the we since friday cause was my birthday (10th) and my girlfriend birthday too (8th) so I didnt carry my computer with me). Keep also in mind that Im on GMT +1, so maybe you can be in front of the computer waiting for a reply while im sleeping :)

Anyway, for all those who bought the package and want it immediately, send me an email at info@migliortestesso.com and im going to send a link to download it from my server.

Michele Di Lena

35. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I gotcha man my apologies. Please keep us posted once its fixed. :)

36. newlife

newlife

sure. Now we have to wait until Unity headquarters wake up (they are located in san francisco, so they are GMT -7). There are pro and cons for having a global market ;)

37. newlife

newlife

this is due to the fact that for almost all the cars in the demo TCS (traction control) is enabled by default.
    While turning TCS prevents the car from oversteer cutting the throttle. If you want to accelerate while turning, press left shift key. Keep in mind that if the car is too powerful or the turn is too sharp, the car can spin around.

38. newlife

newlife

RPM is calculated from the current gear ratio, the final drive ratio and engine angular velocity

39. newlife

newlife

UnityCar is now online on the Asset Store. Previous customers can download it from the Asset Store in order to verify integrity of the package.

Let me know if every thing is ok.

40. azeitler

azeitler

Download worked, just importing and taking it for a spin.

Right off the bat I have one issue with this package: please put the assets in one parent folder called UnityCar or even Asset Store/Unity Car.

I HATE it when Asset Packages import themselves right into the same folders as my assets stored in. It was extremely bothersome to extract it into a single folder again.

41. newlife

newlife

Hi azeitler,
    Im happy that finally my package works. :)
    for your concern, you are right. Im going to change it.

42. andymads

andymads

+1

43. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Happy to see it worked out, I'll be purchasing on Friday! :)

44. azeitler

azeitler

A few questions:

1) where is the truck cabin connected with the truck trailer? Is it done by script?
    2) what about scale of models? my vehicles are about half the size of your example vehicles. do I need to cut all values in half or will it just work out?

45. newlife

newlife

Hi azeitler,

1) the cabin is connected with the trailer on the same place of a real truck. The join is a character join (its much more flexible of the standard join, thanks to Emerson for this tip).
    2) well.. probably you have to cut engine power and grip. keep in mind that weight must be coherent to vehicle's dimension (for a standard car is about 1200 kg)

46. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Hi NewLife,

We are working on a off road game that we have need of good physics...my question is, can we use our models (have to match client specified vehicle) and if so, what would we have to do to implement with your physics to our model?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  47. newlife

newlife

48. azeitler

azeitler

Thanks for the info, I found everything and will be spending the next couple of days integrating the physics with my vehicle models and my code.

I have to say, though, for a third party library, your code is just one big mess. There are very little comments on essential fields and methods, the Visual Studio Compiler lights up like a christmas tree with unused fields, variables and even one or two classes that are never used, you use deprecated parts of the Unity API, and I really could do without the huge amount of commented-out lines.

You really have your physics stuff down, but you should improve on your programming process to produce cleaner code.

49. newlife

newlife

hi azeitler,
    can you tell me some examples of fields without comments? I put as much comments as possible, but i can have forgot something. I also used self explain method and field names. I also wrote a comprehensive wiki documentation (http://migliortestesso.com/unitycar/wiki/).
    Anyway im always open to critics, if they are useful to improve my product.

For what concern the unused variables, keep in mind that UnityCar is a complex project, and i left some unused (and harmless) code on purpose, cause someone could find it useful (for example and old version of the function used to calculate the torque of the engine).
    For what concern the unused classes, Which are this never used classes? are you really sure about what you are talking about?
    For what concern the deprecated parts of Unity code you probably refer to this ONE SINGLE part:

Code (csharp):
    2. for(int i =0; i<UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility.tags.Length;i++){
    3.     if (UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility.tags[i]=="Car") foundTagCar=true;
    4.     //if (UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility.tags[i]=="Wheel") foundTagWheel=true;
    5. }
    7. if (foundTagCar)  transform.tag="Car";
    9. unityCar=gameObject.GetComponent<UnityCar>() as UnityCar;
    which is used to search if the specified tag exists. You are right, I should have removed it.

For what concern the huge (!!!) amount of comment-out lines, same as the unused code: it has been done on purpose, the most of the commented code is an alternative or old way to perform something that someone can find useful or educational.

50. azeitler

azeitler

After spending a few hours on the scripts I concede: the documentation is sufficient. The most important members are commented and the rest is on the wiki.

I made a few improvements, added a global CarInput class and Custom Inspectors which link to your wiki (and allow copy and paste of members). At this point I can integrate the package into my project without any problems.
    If you want I can provide you with the source of my changes and additions.

Despite the good progress I made the scaling of models is still an issue: I have a truck model that is structured the same way as the truck cabin and truck trailer prefab. However, to match the scale of my game the model is only about 35% in size, which throws off all values of the configuration. I appreciate any more pointers as to which values have to be adjusted in such a situation you might have.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.