Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newlife

newlife

Im on GMT+1

2. gamedivision

gamedivision

Are your physics capable of drifting,skidding around corners sideways.

3. trooper

trooper

+1 would love a prefab with all the settings required to get a standard drift.

4. Sono.J

Sono.J

I already downloaded an old archive again. (Because it was broken.)
    So, I can't download a new archive, now. :(
    Please unlock a 2 times limitation.

5. trooper

trooper

I've actually never been able to unrar the download, luckily I only need the scripts and they always unrar perfectly.

6. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Tried to increase the time step to 0.33 the cars now sink though the ground probably because i doubled gravity, but after reducing gravity back to -7.5 the cars now start "floating" or "hovering" why is this happening?

7. SNS_Case

SNS_Case

You can use the arcader setup to achieve a consistant drift from what I read, and also with the standard setup (at least on the sports tires) by adjusting the steering assistance; it's still difficult to drift that way, but more than possible. In an AWD it's pretty easy to get fairly accurate slides going without any of the assists. High-RPM drifting is not exactly accurate, and I haven't figured out a way to counter that using "real physics" within UnityCar yet but I also haven't had much time at all lately.

What was wrong with the 2.1 rar archive? I was able to download/unpack without any errors.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  8. eyo

eyo

Still waiting for an update from Michele.

Downloaded the package twice and both were corrupt. As a result I have no more download allocations, and an urgent requirement for the asset!!!

9. SobhanNina

SobhanNina

Kinda NASCAR(Chev Montecarlo Find in a Free Repo) here is a Driving Test (Crazy Careless)
    https://vimeo.com/53530533

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  10. newlife

newlife

there is already a light edition (UnityCar LE, sold at 49€)

11. newlife

newlife

I tested all sample cars with 0.033 and gravity of -7.5 (default gravity is -9.81 btw) and everything works perfectly. Did you change anything else?

12. newlife

newlife

Hello everybody,
    this post is to let you know that Im still having server issues that prevent most of customer to download actual version of the archive.
    This is due to some strange problem with not updated DNS. Im trying to solve this problem together with support. Meanwhile, im searching for an alternative way to upload the new and fixed archive.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

13. Daladier

Daladier

I am trying to run UnityCar with Unity 4 on iOS, but Xcode shows this error
    Code (csharp):
    2.   IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    3.    at Wheel.CalcLongitudinalForce (Fz Single, Single slipRatio) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>: 0
    4.    at Wheel.CalcForces (Single Fz) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>: 0
    5.    at Wheel.RoadForce (Single normalForce, Vector3 groundNormal) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>: 0
    6.    at Wheel.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>: 0
    In Unity 3.5.6 everything was fine.

14. eyo

eyo

Appreciate your problem, but perhaps you need to supply your existing customers with a direct download link to solve the immediate problem?

15. newlife

newlife

Maybe i have not been clear. there is no direct link. For some strange reason, my provider doesnt resolve my server IP address in the right way, so any FTP uploads go to an IP which is different from the IP anyone obtain when he try to download UnityCar. Its weird but its like that. Now im using another connection, so im uploading again the file in the right IP.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  16. newlife

newlife

Hello everybody,
    this upgrade has been a real nightmare.
    Now the download link should work (I used another connection to upload the archive).
    I also reset all account, so now everyone can use 2 tries to download UnityCar 2.1 Pro.
    I already sent an email to all interested customers. If you cant see the email, please check the spam folder.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

17. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

newlife, did you upload the upgrade to a different place on your website? I got a message saying that your server is requesting that my username and password be sent in an insecure manner. I have Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8.

18. newlife

newlife

can you try with another browser? i didn't change anything, only sever IP address has changed

19. Sono.J

Sono.J

Thank you very much!
    I was able to do downloading, and I succeeded unarchive.
    But, a meta file (about 1800 files) is included. ;)

20. newlife

newlife

I love you Sono :) happy that finally seems to work.
    Form what concern meta file, do you mean that they can be deleted? are you sure?

21. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

22. newlife

newlife

23. newlife

newlife

wow cool i like it :) what did you modify in the setup? can you share the setup file?

24. newlife

newlife

Some cars are taken from sketchup repository, ferrari and monster truck are made by sipon (millions thanks to him, if you need a custom model ask him, he is very good on this) nissan is made my deth_moroz (same story, millions thanks to him, if you need a custom model ask him, he is very good on this).
    Anyway all models are free for commercial use.

25. newlife

newlife

Sorry i misunderstood this. I realized right now that my project is FULL of .meta files. I really dont know where they come from. It seems related to External Version Control Systems with Unity (http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.html).
    You can delete oll those files.

26. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

I'd be careful with this. Sure, you have the right to re-use SketchUp models for commercial applications (http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/3dwh/tos.html) and sipon and deth_moroz also gave you permission to use the models. However, you are actually using copyrighted material, unless you have specific permission from the copyright holders (Ferrari, Nissan, etc.)

27. newlife

newlife

ok ok we need to be precise here. Of course, you can use those models for commercial use, but you should remove all brand information.
    For what concern me, im using these branded cars only for the demos, not for commercial purpose.

28. manruben51

manruben51

thank you very much for your willingness to having solved the problem.
    and I congratulate him for his work.

Michele excellent work, who can be sure you will not regret

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  29. Sono.J

Sono.J

30. newlife

newlife

Hello everybody,
    Im writing this to ask you a suggestion. I submitted UnityCar 2.1 on the assetstore, but it has been declined with this reply:

Dear Unity Asset Store Provider,

Thank you for participating in the Unity Asset Store.

We have noticed that you are using the Unity trademark in your name or offering on the Asset Store in a confusing manner. We need you to stop this use in order to avoid user confusion that your assets are provided by Unity, or that you are otherwise affiliated with or sponsored by Unity. We encourage you to develop your own brand to set yourself apart on the Asset Store. You may descriptively use Unity to specify your assets are for use with Unity software such as "Provider Brand Name X for Unity."

Please cease the confusing use of the Unity trademark within 10 days. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

We also need you to edit the text on your big key image - "Unity3d" is only used for our website, it should just be:

"The most complete and accurate vehicle simulation for Unity".

Thanks, looking forward to your resubmission.

What should i do? Im selling UnityCar on the assetStore since more that 1 year (October 2011), and nobody has never told me anything about this.
    Btw, is the trademark Unity3D or Unity?

31. sesamiam

sesamiam

Must be Unity3D and Unity. If they block you with using name UnityCar, I really think they are heading in the wrong direction.

32. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Renaming it to UniCar for the asset store seems plausible. They don't seem too upset by UniStorm, UniSky, UniSWF, UnitySteer, UniFileBrowser, UniWeb, Unity Dialogue System, RapidUnity, UnityConstraints, Unity Facebook, UnityFurs, UnityEvent, Unity Toolbar, Unity Cover System, UnitySave... looks like a few of people are about to be affected by this.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unfortunately, you don't really have a choice. Just change the name. It sucks, but I don't think you can win this one. Keep your energy on making cool car stuff! :cool::cool:

34. newlife

newlife

Luckily seems the be solved now. They are going to make an exception since I managed to establish a brand around this asset name (UnityCar).
    i have to reupload the package though.

35. sesamiam

sesamiam

Good to hear that it got sorted. :)

36. derkoi

derkoi

Sounds to me the Asset store is a lot of hassle!

37. newlife

newlife

Hello,
    Im facing another problem with Asset Store submission.

now the decline reason is that i have a license in the readme file, which seems to be in conflict with unity EULA.

this is the license file:

Package Licence
    Usage for unlimited time, any number of projects, royalty-free.
    Keep the copyright notices on top of the source files.
    Resale or redistribute as anything except a final product to the end user (asset / library / engine / middleware / etc.) is not allowed.
    You are asked to put UnityCar logo and website (http://unitypackages.net/unitycar) in your game's credits as author of the vehicle physics.
    You can find the official UnityCar logo in psd format under Assets/UnityCarLogo/, so you can easly change its dimensions and colors to adapt it to your application.

can someone tell me where is the problem with this license file?
    Thanks

38. derkoi

derkoi

Wouldn't you be best asking Unity ?

39. newlife

newlife

already asked, waiting for a reply

40. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

While I have no problem with it, I don't believe I have ever seen another asset on the asset store that forced you to include a logo or credit to the author in order to use it in your project after you have paid for it. I'm just taking a guess that your problem lies there. Do let us know what Unity says. :)

41. dog

dog

Black Friday discount for UnityCar 2.1 Pro please

42. trooper

trooper

"You are asked to put UnityCar logo and website (http://unitypackages.net/unitycar) in your game's credits as author of the vehicle physics.
    You can find the official UnityCar logo in psd format under Assets/UnityCarLogo/, so you can easly change its dimensions and colors to adapt it to your application. "

This one is a bit far, I know most people would generally be ok with it but studios that take the code and modify the hell out of it (like us) would prefer the wording to be "Made with UnityCar" or similar.

43. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

newlife, A few suggestions for UnityCar:

Before switching vehicles, put transmission in park or neutral position, apply parking brakes, and turn the engine off. I have seen the vehicles roll down the streets and crash into buildings.

I think that a few vehicles are missing surfaces. Look at the back of the "Fall Guy" truck, and the back and seat of the moon buggy. I think that the engine cover is missing from the back of the three-wheeled vehicle.

44. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Hi,

I'm currently incorporating photon multi-player into my game, most of the examples show updating the transform's position of a remote player object but is that the best way to translate a car setup with unityCar and with that will the physics be reflected accurately? If anyone has any experience with this please do share...

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

@cobaltBlue: Basically, one way to do it is:

1. Create your own controller, like the UnityCar axis controller, which receives RPC's for gas/brake/turns/etc, and passes them on to the UnityCar stuff.
    2. Also do frequent "State Updates" for the car that LERP's the current transform (or rigidbody) position and rotation to its actual (remote) position and rotation.

That is the way I am doing it anyway. There are many additional things you can do to make it better, but that is a huge subject.

46. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Yep after thinking about it long and hard i realized that is probably one of the more simpler ways to do it without going all academic about synchronizing physics accurately on the server, Basically let unityCar physics do its thing on both sides and then do some correction of the positions. Sir thank you again for being kind enough to reply :) as a junior programmer doing his 1st real paid project I can't express how much I appreciate it...

47. newlife

newlife

modified with this (thanks to edy for the suggestion):

Include, if possible, UnityCar Logo or the following line in your game's credits or about page: "Made with UnityCar".

hope that this is ok for the AssetStore manager.

48. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

I spent a couple weeks trying to synchronize vehicle movement in a multiplayer environment. I tried MooseMouses' approach, but I couldn't get this to work (not saying this is not a valid approach, just didn't work for me). The corrections were sometimes too large and so the vehicle movement looked unnatural. I ended up just using straight-line extrapolation and also extrapolating the rotation of the vehicle. The result was surprising good. I posted my code in this thread.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/153827-Client-Side-Prediction-*Code-Snippets*

Good luck cobaltBlue. This is a tough problem you are tackling.

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm definitely no expert. But I've been working on multiplayer driving games since 2010. Here are some tips that have helped me:

1. In trying to extrapolate position using remote inputs of gas/brake/turns, it seems to look better if your local car has slightly less power, slightly stronger brakes, and a slightly smaller max steering angle than the remote car. This is because corrections look better if the car is "pulled" into the correct place by the state updates rather than overshooting and possibly even moving backwards. Hope that makes sense...

2. This is my second multiplayer driving game. In my first one I did a fairly complicated rewind/re-simulation using the RPC'd info and going back in time to when it actually happened (a tenth of a second ago or so). This was a lot of work, a lot of extra calculations, and it did not seem to improve the look of things much, so I am not bothering with it in my current game.

3. Include some kind of "snap back" feature in which the car is simply placed at the state update position if difference between the state update position and the current local car position is too large. It will cause a momentary blip, but things can get too out of whack if you don't have a "snap back". Also consider several levels of sub snap back or a continuously adjusting interp value which is proportional to how far away the local car is from the state update position.

4. Stepping back and looking at the big picture.. mutliplayer driving is a trade off between accuracy and what looks good. The closer you try to make the local car to the remote car's actual position, the more jerkiness you will have in the car's motion. You can get pretty smooth, appealing multiplayer car motion if you can live with the local car being a meter or so away from the actual remote car's position (assuming a decent network ping time).

5. I have given up on trying to include car collisions in multiplayer mode. Network latency just makes them too inaccurate for my tastes.

hth

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  50. pban

pban

Hi,

I've got a question about instantiating unitycar prefabs during runtime - whenever I use the Instantiate method, it takes about 300ms or more for the prefab (with the default cube mesh and 4 wheels) to be created and placed into the scene, which makes the game pretty choppy. I've read that this is because the Start / Awake methods take a lot of time to complete. Is there a way to speed up the Instantiation process? Or do I have to have all my prefabs load when the scene loads, and then just use a pooling system? I already have PoolManager4, but I'd like to make sure there is no other way. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.