Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devotid

devotid

OOOOhhhhhhh WWWEEEEEE that looks nice...Cant wait to get my hands on PRO.... :D

Here is my first Game with Unity....and Unitycar. I just released Today!
    at the link below there is a Teaser Video, Free demo and the full version is only 15 USD.

NewLife this would not have been possible without you.......... THANK YOU:D

Now i need to get PRO from you and start testing my UPDATED version of RCSIM.....lol

but first im going racing and a short vacation.....been at my desk for three months straight.....ugh.

Thanks again

Kevin

www.rcsimulation.com

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

Horsepower and torque curves ALWAYS cross at 5250rpm...just saying.

3. derkoi

derkoi

Devotid. Are all the cars in your RC Simulator to scale? I tried to make a scale model RC car game with Unitycar but the car just jumped around.

Your tracks look nice, what did you model them in?

4. devotid

devotid

Thanks,
    The cars are a little more than double the size of the "real counterpart" IIRC they are about 3 feet long (1m)....im guessing though. Id say somewhere in the 1/5th or 6th scale i would say........

also i had to run the entire game at 2.0-2.8 Time scale..... it makes everything feel more "zippy". Real rc cars seem to defy laws of motion sometimes because it has SOOO much power to weight and ridiculously high RPM's.

The tracks were made in in 3ds max and the main jumps were started as height map imports and then tweaked with the unity terrain editor to ad all the bumps and randomness of off road....there is a ton of work into the tracks....i mean the surface that is...... if you stay "in the groove" the track is faster and smoother....... which trains you to stay under control and lay down better lap times.

if you got any Q's PM me.... id be glad to offer and get advice if it helps.

Kevin

5. Shigidy

Shigidy

Stuff is looking good. Officially impressed.

6. pinchmass

pinchmass

love the http://www.rcsimulation.com stuff, feeling inspired now,

I'v had Edy car system for a while and not really used it, I was wondering what people experience on iphone is with UnityCar ? or option in Unitycar 2
    I'v found edy car system does'nt runn very well on iPhone (or slow at least) and I'm looking for a really efficient (rather than realistic) option for mobile.

Has anyone released anything on the asset stores (iOS or Android) using UnityCar so I can have a look at its performance.

7. newlife

newlife

wow great work Kevin!
    If you agree, i would like to include your work in the UnityCar "uses case" when i'll update the website.

8. newlife

newlife

yep simulating rc cars is VERY problematic cause numeric simulation of small and light (consequently low inertia) wheels is prone to instabilities and numeric explosion.
    Did you use standard time step? which is car and wheel weight?

Hello Devotid did you try the suggestions i sent some weeks ago in this thread?

9. newlife

newlife

what do you mean?

10. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

On a graph showing horsepower and torque (dyno sheet, dyno graph, etc)...the 2 lines always cross at 5250rpm...and theres no changing that. Its just a constant. And in the event that the RPMs don't reach 5250rpm, they simply do not cross. This is with hp and lb-ft though, if you're mixing and matching them with hp and nM, it might result in differences. Just food for thought in how to calculate an accurate power curve....

http://www.bcheads.com/images/dyno-gary.gif

http://www.911chips.com/jh32dyno.gif

http://www.trifectaperformance.com/DynoSheets/2008PontiacG8\dyno.jpg

http://www.dragtimes.com/images_dyno/22147-2011-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8-Dyno.jpg

http://maseengineering.com/images/uploads/nick_supra_dyno.gif

This comment is towards this:

http://unitypackages.net/2.0Pro3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  11. devotid

devotid

I used Time Step .01 and a fixed time step of .33333333
    i think.....i must double check....but i think you know what i mean.

Uhhhhh car weights are around 1000-1200 and the wheel weights mass is 15 for each corner. I didnt change the Wheel mass much as it did not seem to affect anything.....i will try in 2.0

i found the most effective changes in jumping were the shock parameters/ inertia factor. (also make sure you suspension is set up right....ie: dont make a huge car with low suspension travel.

i mainly need UnityCar 2.0 pro.......because the cars roll off of my pit table if the shock s are stiffer on the rear..... and i believe there is a fix for it in 2.0:cool:

Yes you can use RCSIM for an example....:D

I hope it will inspire others to make something aswell.

Kevin

12. newlife

newlife

This is true only in some case, not all.
    Check this truck torque curve:

http://unitypackages.net/torquecurve.jpg

its physical impossible this to happen here.
    More, UnityCar torque and power curves are based on HP and Nm (SI units) and doesn't use lb-ft, so im not mixing anything.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  13. newlife

newlife

yep this is lower than standard time step (0.02)

car weight is much higher than real life counterpart.. did you choose this value cause with a lower value there were instabilities?

This is cause, in 1.2, rotational inertia calculated from wheel mass only if rotational inertia is set to zero.
    So, if you want to try, set rotational inertia to zero and change wheel mass.
    In 2.0 rotational inertia is always calculated from wheel mass.

yep its fixed both in 2.0 LE and 2.0 Pro :)

Thank you :)

14. Univerb-Gaming

Univerb-Gaming

Z31NA2T was trying to say that Newlife :)

If you're working with HP and LBFT you will cross at 5252.

If however you are comparing apples with pears (NM vs HP) you will not as you correctly posted up in that image.

Regards

15. Univerb-Gaming

Univerb-Gaming

Just to clarify something here, SI unit for power is Watts. If you want to stick to SI units, your scales would have to be kW versus Nm. Alternatively HP versus LBFT.

Never mix them :)

16. newlife

newlife

Well.. there are several HP definition. Im using metric HP here (HP DIN). Imperial system uses HP SAE, which uses a different method (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower).
    So its correct to use HP with Nm.
    If needed, i can add a metric / Imperial switch, in order to show both values.

17. Univerb-Gaming

Univerb-Gaming

I've seen PS and DIN mixed, would suprise me if it was HP DIN too. Okay seems like the Deutsches Institut für Normung 70020 supports this (based on further reading).

It shouldn't matter as long as this stuff is documented to your users. Personally I would stick with HP/LBFT and kW/NM only because that's most likely more of a standard to most of your users.

18. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

Building performance cars is my day job...I'm just trying to offer ideas to make the power curve as realistic as possible.

And the graph you posted after, yes...like I said (after editing before you posted that), if they don't rev to 5,250rpm...they never cross. But again, this is only with HP and LB-FT.

19. Mishaps

Mishaps

new update is looking really exciting! thanks for keeping us informed newlife cheers!

20. edgley

edgley

Hi, I got from your website, can I get the new update please?

21. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

Patiently awaiting 2.0 Pro to be released so I can continue work on my game......:)

22. newlife

newlife

UnityCar 2.0 Pro progress:

• new clutch model and driveline implemented and working;
    • camber calculation (visual and phyisical) implemented;
    • accurate lateral and longitudinal tire relaxation calculation implemented;

now im working on tire pressure, should be more straightforward than porting the new clutch model.

23. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

Hey new Life when will you release the Pro version ? almost tired of waiting sir !
    please give us some updates or news about the progress

we all hope you done and be well sir !

24. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

why the thread has no activity in it ?
    whats happening !????

is that some thing wrong ? newlife ???
    please tell us you are doing well and some news about UnityCar 2.0 Pro

25. Ecocide

Ecocide

No worries. He told me he's on holiday for a few days what he really deserves!

It's a hell of a complex asset, so it needs a lot of work and therefore time, especially due to all the Pro features I guess.
    But I'm excited like you so it's very hard to not be impatient :-D

26. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

Hope he spent good and enough time , and regain his energy ! :D
    cause as you said its so hard to be patient ! and our projects are waiting to overdoses !!!!! :D

27. newlife

newlife

eheh Rattlehead thank you for your words. Im back working on UnityCar (last week i just had the time to reply to emails and messages).
    Im going to release UnityCar 2.0 Pro in the next week.

28. zappapa

zappapa

If being able to countersteer is one of those new (pro?) features then you'll have another customer:

So far I haven't seen any Unity Car Physics engine that can do this in an 'easy-to-set-up-and easy-to-play' kind of way. Or am I missing something?

There's a (free) game for iOS called "2XL Rally HD" that does it right. And of course all the big racing (rally) titles seem to 'have it'.

Are these (big names) games using 'constrained physics' and is this impossible to accomplish with Unity? I first heard about 'constrained physics' when I read a post by nukeD here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/120091-Edy-s-Vehicle-Physics-official-thread/page4 (scroll down to nukeD)

So... newlife, is this possible, will it be available in the 2.0 (pro) update? If so, please show us in a webplayer. In your current (rally) demo there's no countersteer.

BTW, when will the UnityCar 2.0 Pro be released, it's 'next week' allready ;-)

Thanks in advance.

29. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

uhm....you countersteer by turning the other way. Its on you to do it, not the physics engine. Auto-countersteer is for people who don't know how to drive.

30. Ecocide

Ecocide

I don't quite understand your statement either, zappapa.

UnityCar offers driving aids such as ESP (electronic stabilization program). It's hard to get a car out of control so there is a need for countersteering at all. In addition you can choose between simulation and arcade mode and I guess the arcade mode should even more support the kind of behaviour you wish to accomplish.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

UnityCar can do it pretty well, I think. You don't need constrained physics, but you may be able to make it more controllable that way. This is kind of self promo-y, but I have just finished a dirt track for my car game which has some sliding/drifting/countersteer (See my signature). If you click on the "Dust Bowl" track you can try it out. The default car is front wheel drive so it will counter steer like a front wheel drive car. The other cars in the game are rear wheel drive, so they will counter steer more like you are probably interested in. You will want to turn up the max steering angle in the car's settings and you might want to try the mouse steering option if you are looking for input similar to accelerometer input.

In my opinion, UnityCar's arcade mode actually makes it a little harder to do controlled drifting, but that may be a personal preference.

32. Shigidy

Shigidy

Hey any updates or delays on 2.0? Also MoosMouse love your game. Just some thoughts. On the dust bowl if you hit the ramp wrong you can fly over the wall and not be able to retun to the track. With Mountain Pass which was very cool I had same problem with the big hill drop. I just did a backflip right off the track. Fairgrounds was fine but not as much fun as the others, which is to be expected. It's a great game, just the A.I. seemed a little too slow. Blue and Red would just take off too fast at the beginning then all of them drove too slow. A great little game you got there though. I'm impressed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  33. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

Another week passed...and it wasnt released like it was said it was going to be....

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, Shigidy! I am aware of the off track problem.. its on the (very long) to do list ;) The AI is very problematic and needs a lot more massaging.

35. drift501

drift501

Hello NewLife. I went onto unitypackages to try out the webplayers but all 4 said invalid data file. Other games play fine on my webplayer. I would love to try this package because from what I have read this is the most realistic car package out there. Also how hardcore is the hardcore simulation you mentioned? One more question, does UnityCar support force feedback for wheels that have it straight out of the box? Thanks, Zac.

36. devotid

devotid

same question.......What is everybody using for Force feedback?

Im starting a new Full scale racing game (not RC Cars) for PC and need to have force feedback for Thrustmasters, G25-G27, etc.....

Another question i had for NewLife is...... I have modeled a completely new suspension system of my own...... can i Use Unity Car for just the tire model and Drivetrain model? As i have not thought of a way to use the "unity car plugin" and still get camber/castor. If i put the "unity car wheel script" on a game object that is on the moving suspension........ the wheels will slowly fall through the ground. Is this because the "raycast" is not perpendicular to the ground?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

37. Ecocide

Ecocide

@ Kevin: I can assure you guys that force feedback is working pretty good. With the previous version I tried using a G27 and the older G25 as well and it felt good. I'm sure you have Force Feedback with all the other steering wheels as well.

@ drift501 : I'm using UnityCar to realize some kind of an educational driving simulator. I am familiar with all the other physics from games such as GTR or LFS etc. and in my opinion it feels as good as those I mentioned, but of course this is partly subjective. What I like is the fact that you have lots of parameters to adjust to make it the way you really want. You are not very limited with this pack.

I'm sure newlife is working so hard on 2.0 Pro features that he is not able to answer :p (at least I hope so)

Dominik

38. devotid

devotid

Thanks.... Thats good news about the Force Feedback...... Are you using any .dll's or plugins?
    Note: (i just saw the Feedback Variable in the unitycar script ..... im going to plug in my t500 and see if i can get it to work..... thanks for the help.)

Do you know how the Feedback "strength" Variable is calculated? Can you feel suspension movements or geometry change? Engine torque?

I have been using iRacing, LFS, Netkar pro, Kart Racing Pro, rFactor 12, CARS, and RBR for many years....... so when you tell me is as good as LFS....... I so hope you are right:cool:....because driving wise..... its one of my favorite FFB (tire model wise) there is.....with iRacing next, then NetKar.:D

Thanks
    Kevin

Newlife is busting his ass.... Lets be patient......if you need him i would email his support (i believe its faster).
    Im sure its really a pain to check here everyday.....plus checking his emails and PM's (hopefully soon after we help him spread the word even more......he can hire a nice assistant....;)

39. Ecocide

Ecocide

Ohh, wait! I guess if you are some kind of pro racer you will feel a lot more differences than I did, so I'm better quiet now :p

I can't really remember any details, sorry. Most important feature for me was a working clutch and a realistic feel, the Force Feedback was just another bonus. But I am really sure you can adjust some parameters to make it feel as you want. Better ask NewLife :)

btw, nice wheel. I'd love to test it some day. Thing is that I really like the G27 shifter and it feels better than the external shifter from Thrustmaster. I can't afford the T500 and the G27 and in the end I only use the shifter of the second one, lol.

40. edgley

edgley

iRacing, hmm, me play too :)
    Just added a load cell to my pedals, very yummy.

As I couldnt get my xbox controller working with unityCar I didn't try my TS500; me thinks I must.

41. devotid

devotid

Oh no worries...im not a pro. I just love great force feedback and auto simulation....:D

This is my current rig....... it already has the swivels under the seat for 3 DOF motion...... (yeah im a Sim Race Psycho):D

I bent and welded it out of recycled house conduit a couple years ago.
    Check out the new Hand brake made from my old G25 pedals and a stick of Aluminum stock.

42. edgley

edgley

Sweet!
    I have gone for creating a car for my rig, wood with dashboard rather than the metal frame type; I am dangerous enough with a drill!
    No motion, but I have tactile and XSim.
    And looks like I will now be added a handbrake.
    Have you seen the button boxes by that Derek guy? Or how about one of those rev counters, or, or, or
    And yes, I am after simulation too, rather than being the fastest (least thats what I tell myself :)

Am waiting to go triple, will be trackIR-ing first though, the damn bezel thing gets to me.
    Does it mean that you can now pass and be passed without being hit?

43. devotid

devotid

yes, passing and interacting with other cars with the bezel adjustment and monitor angle correction(in iRacing) is amazing.....i cannot drive now without it...:(

i need a load cell next though...... i have the nixom brake mod for now and a modified clutch pedal that came with my T500 but from what i have heard .... the load cell is a big difference.

Kevin

44. Ecocide

Ecocide

Nice one! The brake mods are pretty cool, but I miss a decent "clutch mod" to make it feel more realistic. So a week ago I ordered a spring with the same measurements but more power and it feels a lot better now, hehe. I'll shoot some photos soon.

How does the triple monitor setup feel? I'm always worried when I'm watching videos and stuff, it looks kind of "confusing" sometimes.

45. devotid

devotid

i only race on them really.... so i dont know about movies.... but its a pain to turn your head to look around for general computing.

have you or ANYBODY found were the "forces" or variables that go to the force feedback wheels are located? in what script. i thought it was 0-10000 for force feedback. it almost feels like the wheel is constantly fighting to the center and killing the fidelity of the wheel.....i dont know though. The wheel is telling me something tactile though...... so how do i find those numbers....

i have just tried the unity car with an old g25 and i can BARELY feel the Force feedback at all........ can we apply a multiplier?

I want my game (which is offroad racing) to feel like im fighting in a phone booth.....lol..... and right now i can barely feel the engine torque and nothing when the vehicle or tires hit something......

THanks for any help.

46. unity_sg

unity_sg

Interesting discussion about force feedback ...
    How is it possible to use Unitycar with a G25 to do this ?
    Has somebody find the solution ?

47. devotid

devotid

When i plugged my G25 in it worked.....but very very weak. I dont know where the forces were even coming from ...... but they were there...lol

Then i found this thread for a plugin (requires Unity Pro)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/78268-Force-feedback-for-Windows

Right now i am working on getting the tire to calculate the forces from the "wheels" and then feed that variable to the .dll plugin....... it should work great as i have tested the theory on both ends and just need to connect them together with my cars "logic controller".

i will post what i find in here for others to use.

NOTE: this is for UnityCar 1.2 only.........as UnityCar 2.0 LE does not support FFB.

Im not sure what NewLife is planning for 2.0 Pro though..... hopefully it will be built in....but i have no idea.

Kevin

48. IPopeyIE

IPopeyIE

Has anyone heard of a new ETA on UnityCAR 2.0 Pro? It's been almost three weeks since the "next week" ETA.

I bought this a couple weeks ago anticpating the 2.0 Pro release and can't keep my eyes off of this thread awaiting news of this release.

I have already sent a request for info to the support email ... no feedback yet.

If anyone has any news on this release whatsoever it would be appreciated.

49. newlife

newlife

check the arcade mode of the new UnityCar 2.0 Pro demo

50. newlife

newlife

sorry but I faced a bunch of unexpected issues but i also added some new features:

1) engine can stall;
    2) tire puncture
    3) working force feedback
    4) overturning moment

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.