Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mindwedge

Mindwedge

I'd like to try the demos but I get an invalid file error. Any ideas why?

2. 4shm3x

4shm3x

Hey there,
    I am looking at purchasing this product but there are a few things i'd like to ask about.
    In my project that I am looking to create I am wanting to make a racing game simulator. Not arcade style that includes the ability for people to tune the cars i.e buy a different manifold for their car is that possible for me to do that as of course doing that would then alter their cars hp and torque figures?
    Also I am wondering if there is a way that I would be able to simulate Hondas vtec in your kit?

Thanks

3. mindmap

mindmap

Hi,
    the demos don't seem to be working anymore... i also get the "invalid file" error.

4. newlife

newlife

Hello samshosho,
    it should be easy, you just need to constrain rigidbody position and rotation on x and y axis (see rigidbody parameters on inspector)

5. newlife

newlife

you just need to add mobile controller and set the texture buttons for throttle and brakes.

6. newlife

newlife

did you try with another browser? it seems that this error happens with IE

7. newlife

newlife

should be easy to implement a tuning shop, all engine and car parameters are exposed (including of course HP and torque).
    for what concern VTEC, it should only change torque curve, so you just need to create a specific torque curve for this kind of engine.

8. samshosho

samshosho

I really wish it was that easy, once i do that, the car acts really weird! It jumps all over the place, and moves forward but with almost it's side not front, so behavior is really bad. I also added configurable joint, still same problems.

I was looking for a script adjustment, as this is a huge feature, so people can use your package for full motion 3D games and a side way 2d kind of games.
    I am trying to achieve a 3D game, but with a side view, so the car is only allowed to move forward and backward.
    Please consider a script change, i am still stuck at that point in my game.

by the way, i also removed the steering parameters of the front wheels, but still no go.
    Thanks in advance.

9. newlife

newlife

Hello samshosho,
    it seems that to make it work you have to constrain only position, not rotation.

10. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

@ samshosho. As Newlife said and helped me, try constrain only position and leave rotation. It worked with me.

11. matthuston

matthuston

I am using the latest version of Unity (4.1.2) with UnityCar. One issue I am having is that the keyboard throttle is not working, this should be W for acceleration, S for brake (or up arrow / down arrow). Neither of these are working for me. I can see the steering working with the A and D keys though. If I press B for the setup and choose Mouse controls I am able to steer the car with the mouse. Has anyone had an issue like this.

Also, I see the version is still Unity Car 2.1 Pro in the Asset Store and not 2.2 which is available at unitypackages. Thanks!

12. derkoi

derkoi

You tried altering the settings in the input menu?

13. matthuston

matthuston

I see in Input menu: Vertical (+) is bound to up, w and Vertical (-) is bound to down, s. One thought I had was that auto-clutch was off but it is definitely on in the app.

Fix

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  14. devotid

devotid

Finally got around to making a video of my new Offroad Kart SIm i am working on. Im shooting for this summer 2013 as my release date for a beta test.

Here is a link to the WIP thread were i will be putting up more info as i finish it. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/175968-DKart-Off-Road-Kart-Simulation

Stuff I have "finished":

- 2 Kart Models to choose from (different engine, sound and physics models per kart)
    - Massive Indoor and Outdoor multiplayer trail riding and racing environments.
    - Realistic physics with a strong/fierce Force Feedback system. (its like fighting in a phone booth...)
    - Triple screen support with 8 different camera views including "triple screen friendly" side monitor angle adjustment similar to iRacing.
    - Adjust, Save and Share your setups and Paint schemes.
    - Multiple Inputs supported...... ie any Pedals and Wheels mixed.
    - Damage models are physical and cosmetic (broken body panels, popped tires, bent tierods and broken suspension)
    - Moveable drivers seats and moveable on screen "Vapor" data logger with lap timer (shift lights, temp warnings and rpm tach)
    - Interactive dash switches.
    - Moveable GUIS and HUDS to reposition them anywhere on triple screens. (nice when the steering wheel is in the way of on screen hud)

Things planned for early beta.:

- Oculus Rift Support (finally getting my dev kit ordered..... WOOHOO!)
    - AI opponents for offline racing
    - Replay system (save and load)
    - and much more stuff i am forgetting at the moment.

Kevin

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  15. Shigidy

Shigidy

Impressive stuff devotid. Any updates newlife? :)

Also I'm having trouble with unity car...
    I don't understand why the car isn't shifting...

I have a video showing my problems.

I finally figured out the tire problem with the tire radius...you have to hit save setup :).

But with the shifting, I still can't figure it out....
    Max Power RPM 6000
    Max Torque 500
    Max torque RPM 3500
    Min Rpm 1000
    Max RPM 6000
    Rev Limiter x

Gear Ratios
    Size 7
    Element 0 -2.66
    1 0
    2 2.66
    3 1.91
    4 1.39
    5 1
    6 .71

final drive ratio 5

Very Important But forwards arrow, makes the truck go backwards...and the back arrow makes the truck go forwards.... I think it was because this model had the axis was backwards.'

Also I'm very inexperienced with Unity.

Like the truck when goes backwards shifts like its going forwards. Like it shifts all the way to 4 th gear.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  16. matthuston

matthuston

I have tried this as well. I have placed GuiTexture for throttle and brake and added MobileController to the F360 car. I also set the Controller in Car Dynamics script to "mobile". This did not seem to work for me. When I reload the Scene file, i see the Controller in Car Dynamics script has changed back to "axis". Anyone have any advice on a step I am missing?

17. devotid

devotid

Try making your max rpm a little more than the max power rpm. I have had my trannys not shift properly if the RPM's arent able to work right.

Maybe try this:

Max Power RPM 4500
    Max Torque 500
    Max torque RPM 3500
    Min Rpm 1000
    Max RPM 6200
    Rev Limiter On and set to .1

Or look at these things as well:

- make sure in the input manager the throttle is set up correctly. Also remember there is 2 throttles, 2 brakes (one for keyboard and one for the "joysticks" in the input manager) Make sure they are setup for the buttons or keys you want to use.
    - Is the inverted button checked in the Input manager throttle and brakes axis's?
    - are you using a clutch?
    - are you using auto clutch?
    - are there any other joysticks pulgged in that might be affecting the game?

Hope this helps a little.

I love the nastruck setup btw too....looks cool.

Kevin

18. Shigidy

Shigidy

Thanks for the help, this is what I got for the two throttle's.

$inputs.jpg

Since the picture I have tried adding down for the negative button and even switched them and hit invert.

Also I see a reverse for joysticks or controller options, but I don't see that for keyboard options.

Also if you save the picture and open it in paint you can see it much better. Sorry about that.

Oh and thanks is your game going on the app store when you finish it? Also are you selling it for 99 cents more or freemium? Or free with ads. If I can ever make a game that I like I would like some advice on what other game builders are planning to do.

Any help, please

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  19. sesamiam

sesamiam

Ive forgot to show my stuff created with Unitycar here lately.

Heres a video to show something. Its getting old though since Ive added few new features to it.

But here you can see me driving (badly) against few AI racers. AI is kinda raw still but at least they can do laps quite good.

20. devotid

devotid

i just release my games on my own websites at my own speeds. Maybe someday when i get a little faster and better i will start to release on steam..... but i dont do mobile yet. I love the power of a PC and a desktop computer. In my opinion mobiles are talk ing to the pizza man....not gaming. :)

Now about your problem....

How are you trying to control the game when its released? Steering wheel? Touchscreen? joystick or keyboard?

- I can only see 22-23 axes in the pic and it says you have 40!!!! (woah) a functioning unity car should have about 25 (at the most) and thats with the ability to control it with a joystick or a keyboard.

- try to start over by copying and pasting the original input manger into the "player settings" folder in your project folder with Unity closed. Make sure to copy over the one in the Project Folder/Playersettings/inputmanager and not just the one in the Library folder. (i tried copying and replacing the one in the library folder and it didnt "take"

- Mobile? PC? or Mac?

Kevin

21. Shigidy

Shigidy

Devotid, I finally figured out with a lot of help from Yusuf, the rgk guy. What we had to do was take all the assets and rotate them 180 degrees. Basically made a new game object, put our assets in this parent folder thing and rotated it. Works like a charm now :)

I plan on releasing the game slowly. First on wooglie.com. See what people like and what people want to change. Then eventually I plan on releasing to steam, the new greenlight program. Then eventually to mobile. Each step will probably lead to more sales, at least that's what i'm hoping.

Also sesamiam, impressive stuff, it looks like fun already. Also does anyone know a good place to learn animation tutorials. Especially, for steering wheel "hands".

Newlife, any new updates :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  22. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

Hello, I hope you help me with some getting started questions.

I followed this link instructions: http://unitypackages.net/unitycar/wiki/index.php?title=UnityCarPro:Creating_a_car

I prefer the second method - to import the car model and assign scripts accordingly. There's a script called Wheels.cs that is missing in my UnityCar Scripts folder. Do I need it?

1. I started by assigning axles, axis car controller, cad dynamics, drivetrain on all the car meshes. I tagged the ground and the car into different layers.

2. Then added wheel.cs to each wheel.

3. Then added a camera, assigned car camera and car camera controller scripts to it and attached the body to the scripts target slot for the camera.

4. I deleted all other cameras and cars and started the game.

The car sinks.

EDIT: I tried from empty scene, just the car model with the scripts and a plane. Put the car and ground on different layers. The car still falls down.

Could you please help me figure out what I do wrong and what should I do more? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  23. Shigidy

Shigidy

It's a layer issue in the top right. You have to make a new layer. You should see how many "elments are there I think and in the size, you should change it from like 12 to the new number 13. or if you had 8 change it to 9.

Rename one of them to something like "layer I made" and then go to your car model and change layer from default to "layer I made". It'll say something like change parent to children or something. That should fix it. I'm new myself, hope that helped some.

24. Shigidy

Shigidy

well i'm trying to set up a car, the r34 and when I use your model it handles just like it should, but when I use my model and load the same setup, it handle completly different and is extremely loose. I'm trying to make a racing truck game and would like the handling to be somewhat close to nascar racing 2003. Does anybody have any good setups, they would like to share or maybe any tips on why this model handle's completely different. Thanks,

Also could someone please explain the suspension setting in more depth to me. I'm kind of clueless about cars. I don't know what front camber and rear camber is how it affects the car. Basically all of the suspension terminology is over my head.

Cody

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  25. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

@ Shigidy, do you setup your new car from scratch or you use already made car for template and just replace the mesh? Also, could you please tell how is your setup created? Do you setup a rigid-body with all the scripts and attach mesh on it, or you attach the scripts on the mesh itself? Also, do you group the wheels separately from the body?

26. Shigidy

Shigidy

Well I use an already made car for the template and just replace the mesh, or the body to the truck. Like I use a unity car scene Monza track with the gray r34 skyline. I set it up and then I upload the set up to the model in a different scene and hit save setup. Also the truck is quite bigger than the r34.

I'm showing a video of the setup I used.

27. Mindwedge

Mindwedge

http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment-explained-camber-caster-toe/

28. SteveB

SteveB

I did my due diligence and searched for these questions but didn't find anything satisfactory, so if I may :D :

• Is there any metric for performance on mobile? (expectations)
    • Is there an optimized mobile example scene in the package?
    • Alternatively is it as simple as 'toggling' a mobile switch to easily create a mobile optimized scene?(excluding optimized assets)
    • Has anyone used other competing vehicle packages and if so comparisons to quality/performance?

All in all my biggest concern is performance, and with that only a single vehicle active at any one time, and the 'feel' of the physics at the mobile optimized level.

Thank you!

-Steve

29. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

My car keeps falling of the ground. Even when I put a prefab car in my scene it falls in the void. Different layer for ground and car. However, prefab cars work when I create a simple plain within the editor and on the sample scenes.

I follow everything step by step from here: http://unitypackages.net/unitycar/wiki/index.php?title=UnityCarPro:Creating_a_car

Is it up to date? There's no "Unity Car" under Component -> Physics in my 2.2 Pro package.

And I have no Wheels.cs script in the package.

"Select the root of your car's GameObject and add the following scripts from UnityCarScript Folder:

Wheels.cs
    "

So how you guys create your cars? Do you follow the wiki?
    Is there any info/steps on setting up a car from scratch?

30. Shigidy

Shigidy

31. Ecocide

Ecocide

The only way I could create a car that is working with UnityCar is taking an already existing car and changing models etc. Doing it from scratch by following the wiki never really worked.
    This is kind of dissapointing. I hope newlife will read this soon and make a new wiki that actually works.

32. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

I managed to keep my car on the ground with replacing the R34 body mesh with my car. Now I have issue with the wheels and cameras.

Wheels:

They are too big and not aligned. In the wheel.cs script there is:

- radius
    - rim radius
    - width diameter

How to adjust those parameters to my wheel? Or I have to guess, is there any way I can see what's the radius (rim and tire) of my wheels so I can align them to the values in the wheel script? My be see it Max, but what 3ds Max units are corresponding to the units in the script?

Also, do you have any idea how to align them, once I replace the mesh with my wheels?
    I do it in the editor by moving the wheel itself, but when I hit play it's back to its original place.

Cameras:

I'd like to have three cameras for the car - rear, side, hood.
    On the Monza scene the cars don't have any real cameras, only empty object and everything is controlled by only one main camera not part of the prefab. How is this working?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  33. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Hello Danail, Rattlehead, Shigidy,
    I created a UnityCar setup tutorial for my customers who purchased 3d cars from me. Perhaps you can view it and get a new ideas on how to set up a car from "scratch". The tutorial is on my website, here's the link: http://www.gameready3d.com/Article-UnityCar-Setup

Danail: I might be able to answer some of the concerns you posted.
    To get an accurate dimension of wheel/rim, you have to acquire it from 3ds max. A semi-accurate way is to use a plane in unity to measure. Create a plane and position it directly under the wheel, get the Y-position. Move the plane in Y-axis to the top of the wheel, get the Y-position. Find the difference in the Y-position and divide by 2....this is the radius of the wheel. Do the same for the rim and width. Also, there is a measure tool, you can download for free in the asset store. I haven't used it, but it might work for you.

Replacing the wheel mesh with your own. Parent the new front left wheel to WheelFL, RESET the new front wheel (very important), move WheelFL to position. Make sure you move WheelFL and NOT the new wheel. Do the same for the other 3.

Cameras: in the prefab cars, you should see Cameras with Fixed_Camera_1,2, Driver_View. Those are empty objects with specific tags on them. Move those objects to the position you need (rear, side, hood)

I hope these tips help. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers,
    Dan

34. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

Hey Dan! Thank you for your great help.
    Hope your insight will shed some light on my struggle to start. Your cars in the store are very nice indeed. Everybody working on a racing game should be your customer. And what a smooth demo with the Nissan! You should extend your area to offering tracks as well.

I'll most probably will have something to ask, but I'll go with this in PM and share what I'm I doing on my side.

Thanks again.

EDIT: To all Unitycar users trying to set it up properly: After GameReady3D's tutorial for setting up the car I drove my car for the first time. However, I realized that a lot of my problems are due to bad export (scale, rotation, alignment and etc). So first step of setting the car should be proper export. GameReady3D's models are properly exported and also include a .fbx file which can be set as your template. It helped a lot and was a step forward for me.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  35. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Danail,
    thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I can help.

36. Ecocide

Ecocide

Thank you Dan for your help! I will definitely go through this next time I want to import a car.
    Btw you've got some nice modeled cars, I will probably buy one of them in the near future :))

37. Handerillo

Handerillo

I tried this example and is perfect for me!!

I spent hours trying to get that handling to my car, but I wasn't able.

Please, could anyone tell me how to set my car to be exactly the same as 3D Nemo delorean?

Thanks in advance.

38. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

.Rattlehead: You're welcome! Please PM me if you have any questions.

Handerillo: I might be able to help you set up your car similar to the Delorean. PM me and give me the specifics on what you're looking for.

39. kamuzai1226

kamuzai1226

Below are the solutions for problems with the MobileController that I have come up with. It took me all day to figure these out, I hope these solutions save you from loads of trouble and head aches.
    [HR][/HR]

Now the real question is, how can we get this into an actual build??

[HR][/HR]
    I hope this helps everyone who is having trouble with getting the mobile car controller script to work.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  40. derkoi

derkoi

Well lets put it this way. I've been a customer since v1.2 and used to contact the developer for support over Skype when I needed help as the manual was never complete. Anyway I was told that I would be charged for any help as my 6 months free support was over. I wouldn't of minded so much if the user manual was complete but it wasn't.

Rubbish support for something as complicated as this isn't a good combination.

41. newlife

newlife

Hello Mindwedge,
    sorry for the late, this period has been very busy for both work and bureaucratic problems (which i hope i fixed). For what concern your issue, most probably is due to a problem with IE. I have a protection on my webserver based on .htaccess file (which is a standard directory-level configuration file supported by several web servers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Htaccess) which prevents direct download of .unity files. If you can, please try with another browser and let me know.

42. newlife

newlife

Hello derkoi, im sorry you wrote that. As you said, you are a customer since 1.2 (this means that you bought UnityCar more or less two years ago, and you paid only once). As you may know, i have been always present on skype or email to give support to my clients.
    Anyway, Its a common practice to give free support to customers for a limited amount of time. Dont know about you, but i dont like to work for free. Six months of free support, for a product you paid only 97€ seems fair to me.
    Try to compare my conditions with Carx one, which costs several tens of times more than UnityCar (http://www.carx-tech.com/compare-car-physics-engine-eng), and you'll realize that you received much much more than you paid.

43. newlife

newlife

Hello devotid, compliments for the excellent work. Btw, I noticed that, with autoclutch, there is an issue during clutch engaging due to very low engine inertia(fixed in the upcoming UnityCar version). Contact me if you need this update.

44. newlife

newlife

probably you have a setup script included on your car.
    Remove it or save the setup the new settings (carcontrollor set to mobile). This should fix your issue.

45. newlife

newlife

well there's no need to remove setup script of course, you just need to save the new settings using the button "save setup" and the changes will be reflected every time you execute or make a build.
    for what concern the problem with portrait - landscape mode, with the help of kamuzai (thanks) i found a fix for this that will be included in the next release.

46. newlife

newlife

thanks fot the graeat tutorial Dan! As soon as i finish some imminent work, i'll fix and integrate the wiki.

47. devotid

devotid

I couldnt be more satisfied about my purchase.

- We have gotten about 4-5 updates for the price of one.
    - Newlife has ALWAYS answered EVERY email i have sent to him for help. (Dont ask him to build your game..... but if you have a REAL question about how something about unitycar works....he is very helpful. so are the folks in this thread.)
    - He takes "realistic" customer suggestions and tries to implement them into future releases.

I dont think he works weekends..... (i dont either:)) So i wouldnt hit him up on a friday night at 9:05PM and expect and an answer right away.

but all in all..... the package works when i drop in a new car just like its advertised.

from there the rest is my problem........

48. Ecocide

Ecocide

Well, I really feel the need to defend newlife. I can only confirm what devotid said. He helped me a lot of times intensively and added features specifically for my needs. You guys shouldn't take all the support for granted. If I could undo some purchases ( RELATION PHYSICS!!! ) I'd spend all the money to newlife for his great help :p

49. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

Hello,

EDIT:

How can I disable/delete all the hidden cameras (like mouse look, side view with mouse look and etc) and leave only one main camera and two additional for hood and side.

Also, could someone explain how skidmarks are attached on the scripts? I can not get skidmarks and smoke work in my scene.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  50. samshosho

samshosho

NewLife,,,

I kinda gave up on trying to make the car go on the z axi only, but i have a bigger concern now.
    Performance is really bad on the iPhone, is there anything i can do about that ?

I have left only the car, and main camera in the scene, removed everything, and just put a collider under the car, performance on iPhone 3Gs is somewhere between 16fps and 20fps!
    removed all unitycar script and left only my script to control other aspect of the scene (such as GUI) and FPS jumped back to 30 -31 on iPhone 3Gs.

Any comments ?
    I really bought it for making games on the iPhone, had no idea it was a big problem to get a good performance.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.